antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

• This topic has 184 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated Oct 18-11:00 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    entropyfoeentropyfoe

No, I have not tried the sgfxi route yet.

I did get the kernel sorted.
    I tried checking the 4.19 option again in the package installer, this time it took a long time, like a kernel was actually downloading. The earlier tries, it flashed by in a few seconds. But this is working, I updated grubs, and rebooted, selecting the 4.19.66 kernel.

Booted fine, and the nvidia driver is installed. (418.74-1)

I don’t really need that 5.2.8 kernel, everything is working, it will get sorted out eventually.

I have great confidence in open source, eventually.
    For example in the new buster, my chess database (scid) is working again !

It was working fine under jesse, but the change to stretch base caused some tk error, that I could never fix, and contacting developers through source forge never worked either. But new libraries, I guess, bugs are fixed, and scid is working again !

Asus Prime 370X-Pro
    AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
    16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
    Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
    Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-18, P4=antiX-19 beta
    2TB WD sda1= data
    on-board ethernet &and sound

eugen-beugen-b

* The default IceWM theme has very pixelated “antiX” label on the main menu button.
    * I still cannot mount a btrfs partition as reported before (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-b2-full-64-and-32-bit-available/page/2/#post-24484)

demo@antix1:~
    $ lsblk -f
    NAME   FSTYPE  LABEL      UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
    loop0  iso9660 antiX-Live 2019-08-16-20-26-49-00                              /live/iso-f
    loop1  squashf                                                                /live/linux
    sda                                                                           
    ├─sda1 vfat               7550-DABB                                           
    ├─sda2 ext2    boot       302ae0b1-b913-471b-a1ab-3bb4575b4d00                
    ├─sda3 btrfs              bcfa59e6-2132-48c0-8211-5bceec55c2e2                
    └─sda4 ext2    boot32     14a7a0b3-a461-40d0-8c68-405ce2ed2eb2                
    sdb                                                                           
    ├─sdb1 btrfs              da8126cb-6220-4616-b507-3aec0d6e4e96                
    ├─sdb2 swap    swap       e487a4eb-8a7f-4196-896e-10ca767c4269                [SWAP]
    ├─sdb3 vfat               5187-07C6                                           
    └─sdb6 xfs     DataHDD    bb0e217e-dc93-486c-93f8-c5d73dcf7c4d                /live/iso-d
    sdc                                                                           
    ├─sdc1                                                                        
    ├─sdc2 ext2               bd30fb1c-2107-4489-98df-7d68a02a148b                
    └─sdc3 btrfs              bcfa59e6-2132-48c0-8211-5bceec55c2e2                
    $ sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
    $ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I’m able to mount an XFS partititon.
    I will try if another antiX kernel allows to mount a btrfs partition.

eugen-beugen-b

* I’m able to mount a btrfs partition on Liquid Lemur (*blush*) which has 4.19 Debian Buster kernel.
    * @anticapitalista, please, be so kind to correct the German menu names (in JWM):
    Applications > antiX > “Änderungen bei der dynamischen Dauerhaftigkeit speichern” replace by “Änderungen persistent speichern”
    Applications > antiX > “Konfiguration der dynamischen Dauerhaftigkeit” replace by “Konfiguration der Persistenz”
    Applications > antiX > “Kommandozeilen- und apt-basierte Paketverwaltung” replace by “Kommandozeilenbasierte Paketverwaltung”
    Applications > System > “Auswahl der beim Rechnerstart zu starteten Dienste” replace by “”Auswahl der beim Rechnerstart zu startenden Dienste” or better “Autostart von Diensten”

eugen-beugen-b

I installed antiX-19.b3-x64-base now. I chose btrfs but the installer silently formatted the partition ext4.
    Anyways, I installed 4.19, 5.1 and 5.2 antiX kernels on the installed system and so far 4.9 cannot mount a btrfs partition, but the 4.19 can. I will test 5.1 and 5.2 now.

eugen@antix19:~
    $ uname -a
    Linux antix19 4.19.66-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 15 07:49:16 BST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    $ mount | grep btrfs
    /dev/sda3 on /mnt type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/)

Update: 5.1 and 5.2 can mount a btrfs partition, too.
    Update 2: None of the 4.9.x versions works. But 4.14(.14) works.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by eugen-b.

I ran the nvidia installer in the control center and got a failure. I tried the backports option, but under the 5.2.8 kernel, there was a “dependency problem, errors were encountered while processing nvidia-persistenced, nvidia-kernek-dkms, and nvidia driver. FAIL Failed startpar: service(s) returned failure nvidia-persistance”

I had no problem installing and running nVidia 340 driver. Installation went fine and driver activates on startup.
    However the old problem still persists that if you boot such live antiX with nVidia driver installed in a laptop that does not have nVidia then boot fails with the same message as in your case: “FAIL Failed startpar: service(s) returned failure nvidia-persistanced”
    It is nothing new though, it was happening with antiX 17. I do not know if there is any solution except carrying two versions of live antiX – one with nVidia driver and another one without…

@eugen-b

“* The default IceWM theme has very pixelated “antiX” label on the main menu button.”

As a temp. solution, you can use this one …

@Xaver
    “My favorite jwm theme is coffee_cream. … low on blue light … What, do you think, needs to be repaired on it?”

@christophe
    “I hope you don’t get rid of JWM’s black theme – it’s the only one I use.”

My answer would be pretty much OT in announcements, so I wrote you the answer in another thread.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/ot-answer/

eugen-beugen-b

The issue with btrfs partition doesn’t mount happens because zstd compression was introduced with Linux 4.14.

I tested with a blank USB stick, created a btrfs partition on it, booted antiX with 4.9.189 and was able to mount it. I also installed linux 4.9.0-9 from Stretch repo and it was also able to mount the btrfs partition on the USB stick.
    Then I rebooted to a different distro, mounted the btrfs partition on the USB with compress-force=zstd and wrote some files on it. I rebooted to antiX-19 with linux-4.9.189 and wasn’t able to mount the btrfs partition on the USB stick. The same happened when I rebooted to linux 4.9.0-9 from Stretch repo.

I use zstd compression on all of my btrfs partition which whould explain why they failed to mount with linux 4.9.

But the antiX installer seems to be broken for btrfs

I installed antiX-19.b3-x64-base now. I chose btrfs but the installer silently formatted the partition ext4.

which I’m going to try to verify with a second installation attempt.

eugen-beugen-b

which I’m going to try to verify with a second installation attempt.

Here goes my second installation attempt. I selected custom installation with btfs-lzo option for the root partition. The output of the ongoing) sudo minstall: https://hastebin.com/alipilikuh.php As you can see the partition got formatted ext4 despite my choice.

My third installation attempt. This time I selected custom installation with plain btrfs option for the root partition and this one works: https://hastebin.com/quzolomuge.php Verified with lsblk -f
    ├─sdc1 btrfs rootantiX19 0a7b5c15-e767-47db-bf7a-366e7810e408 6.4G 3% /mnt/antiX

My fourth test. I selected btrfs-zlib option and this one also creates an ext4 partition: https://hastebin.com/jocufatira.php

So, please, repair the code for btrfs-zlib and btrfs-lzo options (Where can I find it so I could maybe give advice?) or remove them!

Proposed fix: I don’t know if I found the correct Gitlab project, but
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/blob/master/minstall.cpp#L871

} else if (type == "btrfs") {

and line https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer/blob/master/minstall.cpp#L885 should be
    } else if (type == "btrfs-zlib") {
    The same sort of “else if” as with other drop down menu items.
    And line 891 is OK.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracledolphin_oracle

thanks! we will track it down.

incidentally, gazelle-installer code is here:

https://github.com/gazelle-installer/gazelle-installer

its common between MX and antiX.

AK-47AK-47

Thanks for picking it up @eugen-b. The Gitlab copy is significantly out of date, and doesn’t have the new changes. It looks like this was even before the code was split into several source files. If you want to propose new changes to the code I suggest using the repository that @dolphin_oracle has linked.

I changed: } else if (type == "btrfs") to: } else if (type.startsWith("btrfs")) so hopefully it should now respect your compression.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by AK-47.
    eugen-beugen-b

A good solution and it worked with btrfs-lzo: https://hastebin.com/ubuxunayud.php (complete output after finished installation https://hastebin.com/pedicomulo.php )
    (Maybe you can break up (or even parallelize) the long cp command at the end of the pastebin smaller, because it is filling up RAM quite a bit.)
    But the mount option compress-force=lzo doesn’t get applied during installation:

$ mount | grep btrfs
    /dev/sdc1 on /mnt/antiX type btrfs (rw,noatime,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/)

Are mount options meant to be written only to fstab? I think not looking at the source code. EDIT: The compress-force=lzo doesn’t even get written to the target /etc/fstab only defaults,noatime so there must be another bug in the code.

I would recommend against compress-force, because it takes longer on slow machines and gains little, just use compress=lzo or zlib.

A dirrefent issue @anticapitalista: Line 20 in ~/.config/herbstluftwm/autostart should better be xrdb merge ~/.Xresources because I observed an error printed in TTY when I hit Mod+Shift+q. Correction: I think I got the error message when starting herbstluftwm with startx.

I came up with a little script to run connman if not connected. It could be added to ~/.desktop-session/startup and that way it would work for any of the desktops.

# Run connman if no connection, not run in background so after you quit it exits the script, add & to stay running
    connected_addr=$(ip addr | grep "inet " | sed '/ scope host /d')
    if [ -z "$connected_addr" ]; then
       connman-gtk
    fi

masinickmasinick

When I use IceWM as the initial window manager everything appears to be working fine. However if I experiment with different file managers and IceWM, then switch to a different WM, the IceWM selections disappear from the window manager choices.

Anyone else notice this?

Brian Masinick

waspwasp

The bug of the non-blocking of the screen after the continuous suspension and of the characters not defined as in Antix 17.

# Comment the next line to disable ACPI suspend to RAM
    ACPI_SLEEP=true

# Comment the next line to disable suspend to disk
    #ACPI_HIBERNATE=true

# Use Radeontool to switch the screen off? Seems to be needed on some machines
    # RADEON_LIGHT=true

# Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
    LOCK_SCREEN=true

# Uncomment this to enable ACPI sleep when the lid screen is closed.
    LID_SLEEP=true

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 185 total)
  • The topic ‘antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available’ is closed to new replies.