antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19-b3-full and base versions (64 and 32 bit) available

This topic contains 138 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by BobC Sep 16-11:31 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    BobC

On the Pentiuum III I am still having the date problem and needed to do
    sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org

seaken64

I had 19b2 already installed and I ran a full dist-upgrade today. Do I have 19b3 now? It’s hard to tell and inxi shows it as 19b2. If doing a dist-upgrade does not get me to 19b3 then I will go ahead and re-install from the 19b3 iso.

Seaken64

seaken64

I just noticed today that when I open the “Other Desktops” menu [antiX|Desktop|Other Desktops] that the IceWM choices do not show up. I have duplicates of a couple of the Fluxbox and JWM choices but no IceWM. I was trying to change to Space-IceWM.

This is on my P-III where I had 19b2 installed and just completed a full dist-upgrade.

On my Live USB of 19b3 the menu is correct.

I tried running “Update Menu” but it didn’t help.

How do I get the Other Desktops menu corrected?

Seaken64

seaken64

My time was off by four hours, in the lower right corner. Date was correct but time was off. I ran this command and now the time is correct. Thank you to BobC.

Seaken64

eugen-b
    eugen-b

@anticapitalista, are there any solid reasons not to ship a kernel of newer series than 4.9, for instance 4.14?
    I would remind that from 4.14 on the kernel supports zstd compressin on btrfs filesystem. With previous series a zstd compressed btrfs partition is not mountable.
    I also remember that amdgpu graphics driver support was introduced with 4.14.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

@anticapitalista, are there any solid reasons not to ship a kernel of newer series than 4.9, for instance 4.14?
    I would remind that from 4.14 on the kernel supports zstd compressin on btrfs filesystem. With previous series a zstd compressed btrfs partition is not mountable.

Main reason is the amount of work and testing needed.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

rayluo
    rayluo

My time was off by four hours, in the lower right corner. Date was correct but time was off. I ran this command and now the time is correct. Thank you to BobC.

Seaken64

If your time is off by a whole N hours, it is typically caused by incorrect timezone setting. This happened to me too, when my machine’s hardware time (set in BIOS) was previously in my local time (pacific time) and antiX’s default timezone is in U.S. Eastern time. My solution is to set my machine’s hardware time in BIOS to use UTC, and then set my antiX LiveUSB to boot with Los Angeles time (which is the same as pacific time right now).

PPC

If your time is off by a whole N hours, it is typically caused by incorrect timezone setting

when testing the time and date selection script I noticed that even when I selected the correct time zone, antiX19b3 live clock was off by 1 hour. Syncing the time using google’s server fixes that instantly (I didn’t try the “sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org”, I was testing a different command on my script)…

P.

eugen-b
    eugen-b

Main reason is the amount of work and testing needed.

What about 4.19 on the ISO?
    You think or know that 4.9 is more compatible with older hardware?
    It is at least a signal to the user: “older kernel, might be better for my old machine, I should try antiX”.

PPC

This thread as been quiet… I hope that’s good news and everyone reported everything there was to report…

Some very minor “bugs”:
    1-there’s a gcolor2.desktop file that seems to point to nothing… (I was using that to test the Toolbar Icon Manager, frustrated I tried to run that file and found out it just run nothing)
    2- Not a bug, just something strange – the audio player shows a volume knob icon instead of XMMS’s icon- is that a feature?
    3- Also not quite a bug: I tried opening a pdf file, and for some reason, it opened using LibreOffice Draw by default… Also, I believe that none of the 2 default pdf viewers allows the user to copy text (I need that for work, and I believe it’s very useful to do that on a pdf viewer… is it asking to much to include a low resources viewer that has that functionality?)

P.

caprea
    caprea

Synaptic.desktop is by default not present on antiX19b3.
    So I reinstalled synaptic, now synaptic.desktop is there, but the exec-command is Exec=synaptic-pkexec instead of gksu,
    which will not work on antiX.

skidoo

caprea, in my b3 testing synaptic is immediately available, both via desktop menu and via controlCenter

caprea
    caprea

Yes skidoo, the problem shows up eg., if you like to move /usr/share/applications/synaptic.desktop to the desktop as an icon or
    if you use the new app IceWm-Toolbar-icon-manager.

BobC

I installed 32 bit base of 19b3 and it did not include synaptic, and when i added it, it did not default to using root auth that was needed.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

You’ll have to edit the synaptic.desktop file to open it as gksu synaptic.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 18 hours ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.