antiX 19 core +Mate DE

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks antiX 19 core +Mate DE

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Atlanelan Nov 7-6:34 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    christophe
    christophe

antiX 19 core + Mate DE:

Very easy and fun project. Here’s how I did it (I know many people would do it differently).

1. I started with a frugal antiX 19 setup. I set up 2 GB static root persistence, but used only 1 GB (I believe). Set up wifi & updated/upgraded current software.

2. Install x-windows sudo apt install xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-intel
    (My computer uses the intel xserver, but install another if yours is different. Note: I tried first with just xorg & xserver-xorg packages, but starting X failed. So I went back & installed the intel xserver.)

3. I fired up cli-aptiX sudo cli-aptiX
    and looked at the recommended GUI packages. There’s a Mate meta-package that installs it all for you. Go ahead; select & install.

4. Once the installing of software is finished, type startx
    and you get the (basic) Mate desktop environment. No troubles; very straight-forward.

I know many people would install a display manager. I didn’t, but that’s how I want it.

Also, all your apps still need to be installed, like web browser, etc.

It runs nicely; uses about 160 MB RAM on 32-bit, upon startup (according to conky — which (if you want it) you’ll have to install additionally).

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

hi christophe,

on #2
    sudo apt install xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-intel

doesn’t need to have “xserver-xorg” and can be typed as

sudo apt install xorg xserver-xorg-video-intel

as xorg package pulls in the xserver-xorg package just not the intel video
    This is great for people who want a simple setup on low powered/ram hardware.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

PPC

Hi!
    Nice project- I’ve tried (testing antiX live versions) to use other Desktops/ DE’s but I always consider that in fact, the desktops that the full antiX version comes with out of the box and the best for keeping resources usage to the minimum and still have a nice looking desktop: in my case- 100 Mb or less of Idle RAM on a full featured 64 bits Debian 10 OS looks like a miracle!

P.

BobC

Yes, but its good to see what was needed on top of core.

Atlanelan

With antix19 core I just install xorg lightdm and the de of my choice.Resoureswise on idle state antix-mate uses around 350mb, antix-gnome uses around 600mb and antix-budgie uses 320mb.Antix seems to fit with any desktop environment seamlessly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.