antix 19 final core building different setups

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco” antix 19 final core building different setups

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 17-5:41 pm by linuxdaddy.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

these are shots from 19 core 64-bit final (sysinit) aimed at sid repos and
    built up to gdm with gnome DE.

I installed the core with no internet then rebooted.
    upon reboot, I changed the repos to point to sid instead of buster. Then
    setup ethernet and “apt update …. apt upgrade” I had to use “dpkg -i –force-overwrite”
    on the initscripts package.
    Installed dialog, xorg, gksu then gnome package.
    Latest 5.5 kernel to check it out.
    And some apps to have fun. …..
    audacious to play cds
    spacefm as file manager
    palemoon browser to post this.
    what fun to use same core isos and build such different systems from
    my other is lightdm + mate DE

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

masinickmasinick

Yes, it can be fun and educational to build all kinds of different systems from the same primary image.

Sometimes I even create a snapshot from a working image, include all of my own files and directories, then take yet another excursion from that point – all from a USB drive. If I don’t like what I’ve built, I just go back to something else, or scrap the work and overwrite it.
    That can be fun or frustrating, depending on your interest and level of success!

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Glad you are enjoying yourself and learning – you get what antiX is all about.

Just to point out though that there are sid versions of antiX-19-core isos available.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

masinickmasinick

Glad you are enjoying yourself and learning – you get what antiX is all about.

Just to point out though that there are sid versions of antiX-19-core isos available.

Yeah, while I don’t do nearly as much fiddling around now that I’m retired (and not much with Sid anymore), in the past, particularly with plain Debian, I’ve started with Stable, and moved to either Testing or even Sid from the initial image. I’d try to find a window when there wasn’t a lot of crazy changes going on, which would increase my chances that it would work, then I’d do some whacky update or dist-upgrade and see how many packages I could install or modify without breaking the system.

Knowing my background, (and any of my ancient posts), you know that I’d always have another computer and many distributions, so that if I messed up, no big deal. I’d also have backups, both locally available and in various other locations – Webmail copies of programs or scripts, DVD, CD, or USB copies of system images and backups, etc. No single point or single location failure would put me out of business, Therefore, taking risks was educational and sometimes fun, even jumping past months of software changes by moving from an older Stable version to a cutting edge Sid version.

I also built my first antiX Core to run with Sid and Xfce, probably five or more years before MX Linux was introduced. I was quite surprised to see MX running Xfce, because except for the distro appearance, it was almost like my antiX Core image that I’d been happily running for years. Back then, my two absolute favorite images were my Debian Sid hack and my antiX Core implementation, because they were my most completely tailored and customized systems. I’d always keep 1-3 extra copies of Debian, antiX and MEPIS around, just in case those experiments came to a crashing conclusion, but they lasted more than five years each.

So some of us former and current geeks do it the hard way and go from stable to unstable, just because we can and we enjoy watching fireworks (and even failures), from which much can be learned and gained.

Thanks for the many images and tools that you make available. I can remember the humble beginnings when antiX quietly emerged as a really lightweight offshoot of MEPIS. How cool it is that the remaining community of that once great distribution lives within the antiX/MX realm; I really cherish that part of our distribution’s history.

Brian Masinick

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

Yeah I was seeing what it takes to go from one base to the next and also different desktop
    setups with different applications and the memory usage on them.

anti wrote: Just to point out though that there are sid versions of antiX-19-core isos available.

I know also some here have sysvinit and others have runit.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.