[SOLVED] Antix 19 LiveUSB – no boot on a new laptop

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco” [SOLVED] Antix 19 LiveUSB – no boot on a new laptop

• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Apr 20-11:15 am by Girafenaine.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    GirafenaineGirafenaine

Hello,

I have made a live USB with Antix 19 and very happy with it. I use it at office for all my work, as well at home for some linux learning or other install recovery in emergency cases.

It is 32bits (to be able to boot on older hardware) and usually with 4.9 kernel.

I just got a new Dell XPS 7590 laptop and installed manjaro KDE on it (disabling secure boot and using a USB key), and it works very well (some little work to get discrete GPU to work without pumping battery). FHD screen.

When I want to boot this laptop on my Antix 19 Live USB, the starting menu comes with all UEFI options but… no one boots in Antix 19. They lead to a black screen, without any booting process (no word appears, you hit the enter key and immediately after this black screen). I tried some key combo to get a tty but no success with ctrl+alt+supr/del nor alt+F2 or F3. I tried with a 4.0 kernel and alos a newer 5.2 (32 bits), same black screen. I tried nomodeset boot option, as well as failsafe boot, same black screen.

What could I try now to get it working ?

Girafenaine

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Girafenaine. Reason: solved !

Girafenaine
    ----
    Antix 19, Live USB stick / Manjaro XFCE (Dell XPS 7590) / MX Linux 19 (various PC)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

It probably needs the latest graphics drivers and a 5.4 kernel which are not (and won’t be) in Debian stable buster.
    A long shot is to try the stick and press F4 at the boot menu and choose the invert brightness cheat.
    Or this might help –

Dell XPS 15 9560 and MX 18

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

GirafenaineGirafenaine

Hello Anti – thanks for your answer, I will try that in a few hours, and a few ideas from the thread you linked at (as though I did not need them with manjaro).

However manjaro boots on a 4.19 kernel with “free” graphic drivers (as well as on a 5.4 kernel with last nvidia drivers). Wifi needs some driver install because it’s not in the kernel, but the OS can boot and work.

Girafenaine

Girafenaine
    ----
    Antix 19, Live USB stick / Manjaro XFCE (Dell XPS 7590) / MX Linux 19 (various PC)

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

hi Girafenaine,

Try disabling uefi in the bios settings. If your usb stick is 32-bit then your bios
    has to be set for legacy to boot it. Otherwise you’d have to make a 64-bit usb stick
    to get a uefi bios to boot it.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

GirafenaineGirafenaine

Hello,

32 bits Antix Live USB runs well on UEFI boot, I use it on other UEFI laptops (even on Macbook which has only UEFI 64 bits).

And.. there is no way to set for legacy boot on this XPS BIOS.

I cannot use “F4” options, as on UEFI boot you have to launch the “text menus”, and when I try i got only a blank screen.

Will investigate, but any idea is welcome !

Girafenaine

Girafenaine
    ----

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

Girafenaine,

you wrote : 32 bits Antix Live USB runs well on UEFI boot
    ok, because on my tower I had to disable uefi to boot 32-bit anything.
    ??? you could maybe try making a usb stick with a different kernels to see
    if that works for it.. The 4.19 or 5.2 kernel on a remaster might work for
    the newer hardware.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

GirafenaineGirafenaine

Hello,

Just some user experience for other people who could be interested.

On a brand new Dell XPS 7590 with both iGPU and dGPU, I could not get Antix Live USB to boot even with the newest 5.5 kernel and some boot command (nofail, safeboot…).

A first solution was to use the latest MX Linux “AHS” (advanced hardware support) which comes with 5.4 kernel and newest “graphic stack” (xorg, nvidia driver…). It works well.

As idle power use was not at its best (4W – 8W), I ended using XFCE Manjaro. I miss some great MX Tools, but it is very efficient too, with better power management (4W at idle on this same laptop). I did not find which process or devices management could explain the different power usage in MX Linux.

Girafenaine
    ----

If your need is immediate, try the 64-bit version on the newer hardware.

I run antiX on a variety of hardware, most of which is UEFI or even UEFI-ONLY, but usually means 64 bit – even if I only have limited ram like 2gb. Some UEFI just barfs on 32 bit.

Some transitionary 64-bit computers have 32-bit bios/uefi and can get away with it, but for the most part 64 bit is it.

One solution is to just carry two sticks – a 32bit and 64bit – and use the Live-Usb-Storage folder in each to easily swap stuff back and forth.

Do you get to the antiX boot options screen?

I have only used 64 bit antiX on my XPS 15 I7-7559, and it runs antiX 19 64 bit just fine, but I have to give it a couple of boot line parameters or I get a black screen.

Here was the thread on getting it to boot:

[EDIT: Mostly Fixed] Hybrid graphic problem with live usb on my new laptop.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by BobC.
    GirafenaineGirafenaine

Hello,

Thanks PDP-8 and BobC for your answers.

I do get the antiX boot options screen without issues. When I hit enter to really boot antiX, I get immediately a black screen (and tried many times with some different cheat code combos).

I will try soon with your “cheat code” in the link you have just shared.

Girafenaine
    ----

masinickmasinick

Most of the time I have few issues booting distributions but occasionally something halts the boot.
    I’ll try options like apm=no, noacpi, but if things really act up, “failsafe” nearly always works and antix offers this option.

Brian Masinick

GirafenaineGirafenaine

BobC,

I had no luck trying your “acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=Windows i915_preliminary_hw_support=1” code on my laptop, with 5.4 kernel. There could be one working code for me, but one has still to find it…

masinick,

“failsafe” did not change the behavior : black screen just after I hit the enter key on boot options screen.

I will come back if I find something else, and would be happy if someone puts forward another clue…

Girafenaine
    ----

masinickmasinick

BobC,

I had no luck trying your “acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=Windows i915_preliminary_hw_support=1” code on my laptop, with 5.4 kernel. There could be one working code for me, but one has still to find it…

masinick,

“failsafe” did not change the behavior : black screen just after I hit the enter key on boot options screen.

I will come back if I find something else, and would be happy if someone puts forward another clue…

I am sorry that none of our suggestions led to a solution for you. Unfortunately I have a commodity system that almost always works, but it isn’t particularly helpful in solving the more difficult or less common configuration issues. I do hope that someone with more specific experience in this area will be able to help you out.

Brian Masinick

XecureXecure

On a brand new Dell XPS 7590 with both iGPU and dGPU, I could not get Antix Live USB to boot even with the newest 5.5 kernel

I was trying to do this myself but I am unable to. I have been using antix kernel 4.19 on my antiX Live USB device for ages, and wanted to update to 5.5 kernel and test how it goes, but I am unable to do so. Booting hangs in “Loading /dev” or similar, so I had to boot to a different live system and rollback the kernel to 4.19. Is anyone able to boot to a live USB system with 5.5 kernel?

About the blank screen, I use to experience that on my newest computer, and the only way to get it to work was to boot from the grey Grub menu instead of EFI menu (but my PC has BIOS/EFI compatibility so that may not be an option for you).

Hello,
    I don’t know if it is the same case… On my old Eee PC Netbook, I experienced the same, and not only with antiX 19, Mageia 7, Xubuntu 18…
    So, I started with an external monitor… and the display seems ok.
    Unfortunately, the display option is an extended desk, with all new windows displayed on the main screen, switched off.

But, simply by close/open the screen laptop, the LED light switched on !!
    And now, the Eee PC is under antiX 19, installed in UEFI mode… I have just to find which option add to prevent to close/open screen at each time…

Hopping it would be a help for you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.