antiX-19 ps_mem.py

Forum Forums General Screenshots antiX-19 ps_mem.py

Tagged: 

• This topic has 28 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jun 29-5:28 pm by masinick.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Macondo,

Could you tell me how to eliminate slim? That would certainly help with the memory footprint on my machines. I wonder if it would break anything else? I have some newer machines with lots of memory, but also have older 32 bit ones with as low as 512 mb where a few mb does count.

Could you please post what you put in .xinitrc and startx and how you eliminated Slim?

Thanks 🙂

macondomacondo

Hi BobC, I failed miserably at that. Usually, you just deinstall it with apt-get or dpkg. I am now in freebsd and installing some hd. I wrote my experience in another post which I cannot find but basically this is what I remember:
    # dpkg -P slim
    IIRC, gave me an error and some dependencies of slim, so I tried it again,

#dpkg -P slim dependency1.antix dependency1.antix etc
    then it worked, next I went to /etc/inittab and changed the run level from 5 to 3

#nano /etc/inittab

#rebooted

no dice, I could not get in, then reverse-engineered everything and insstalled slim went to /etc/inittab and changed the run level back to 5 and rebooted.
    No luck. Ended up reinstalling antix-base, in other distros this would have worked.

I found the post:

Launching ratpoison

“1. Thank you gents, went to slim.conf and put rp as the default.
    It appeared on the F1 list, but never started, gave me an error, back to icewm.

2. Yesterday, I deleted/purge slim and rox-filer, conky says it is not installed, and chose “3” in the default run level at /etc/innitab, rebooted
    nothing! re-installed slim, changed the run level back to 5 and rebooted, zip.
    Did a quick reinstall and that’s how I am here.

3. Forgive me, am an old man, “lean and mean” to me, means no eye candy and superfluous stuff. Why slim? you still need a username and password to be entered, which can be done in startx, save space and headaches. That conky, I need it like another hole in my head, KISS it.

4.Net installation CD, is a mess! All you need is the regular installation CD (base or full) but without the apps just the base ones, the user installs xorg and whatever he wants, use .xinitrc and startx. antiX has one of the best installers hands down, quick. Grub does not fail like in other distros.
    Being modern and flashy doesn’t necesarily means advanced. Just my opinion, no insult intended, last thing I want is to ruffle some feathers.”

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by macondo.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by macondo.
    macondomacondo

Sorry BobC I forgot about the .xinitrc,

$ nano .xinitrc

#!/bin/sh

firefox &
    setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
    xsetroot -solid black
    unclutter -idle 2 &
    numlockx &

exec icewm

save/exit the editor

logout to test it 🙂

I will try to mimic it on a test machine. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Yes, I also don’t really need a fancy graphics login screen for myself, and would rather have the memory for the programs I’m running instead.

macondomacondo

BobC: I don’t think the .xinitrc will be necessary as long as you got Slim rooted in antiX
    Go to slim.conf and configure it to your taste.

#nano /etc/slim.conf

and choose what you can, iow, uncomment what you want (erase the initial hash mark #)

These are the ones I chose:

# Activate numlock when slim starts. Valid values: on|off
    numlock on

# Hide the mouse cursor (note: does not work with some WMs).
    # Valid values: true|false
    hidecursor true

# see the xinitrc.sample file shipped with slim sources
    sessions icewm

I will revisit this thread when v19 goes to release. I have two P-III’s I use antiX-17 on. One with 512MB and one with 256MB. I am curious if I will be able to get the memory use similar to what I have in v17. The tips here look promising.

I always wondered why antiX uses Slim. I still don’t understand it and I am also curious if I can remove it. I always used startx when learning with Slackware. But I’m still a newbie in setting up X and a DM. I’ll live with whatever works with antiX.

Seaken64

ok, not sure if this is actually what was being asked for, but I found a way to disable slim and run from startx after logging into the console in antiX19b1 32 bit.

Obviously, this would void your warranty, which doesn’t exist anyway, lol.

Open terminal
    sudo mc
    cd /etc/rc5.d
    point to S04slim
    F6 and rename to K04slim
    the README file there says to run “update-rc.d script defaults” but that doesn’t seem to work
    Logout – reboot (you can just type reboot as root from mc I am pretty sure)
    When you reboot it will come up to a login prompt in console. Log in as your normal user, then type startx

I tested this on my 32 bit instal of antiX19b1, but obviously it might or might not work for you. I am on a test system having done it typing this. Here is my memory print…

bobc@m2400:~
    $ su
    Password:
    root@m2400:/home/bobc# ps_mem.py
    Private + Shared = RAM used Program

192.0 KiB + 42.0 KiB = 234.0 KiB gpm
    204.0 KiB + 46.5 KiB = 250.5 KiB startx
    240.0 KiB + 57.5 KiB = 297.5 KiB acpid
    228.0 KiB + 98.5 KiB = 326.5 KiB cron
    244.0 KiB + 91.0 KiB = 335.0 KiB init
    224.0 KiB + 197.5 KiB = 421.5 KiB xinit
    188.0 KiB + 256.5 KiB = 444.5 KiB x-session-manag
    452.0 KiB + 58.0 KiB = 510.0 KiB rpc.idmapd
    340.0 KiB + 183.5 KiB = 523.5 KiB dbus-launch
    368.0 KiB + 173.0 KiB = 541.0 KiB irqbalance
    304.0 KiB + 282.0 KiB = 586.0 KiB unclutter
    540.0 KiB + 58.0 KiB = 598.0 KiB ssh-agent
    388.0 KiB + 232.0 KiB = 620.0 KiB rpcbind
    520.0 KiB + 407.5 KiB = 927.5 KiB getty (5)
    332.0 KiB + 616.0 KiB = 948.0 KiB avahi-daemon (2)
    472.0 KiB + 536.5 KiB = 1.0 MiB su
    844.0 KiB + 245.5 KiB = 1.1 MiB rpc.statd
    480.0 KiB + 625.0 KiB = 1.1 MiB saned (2)
    636.0 KiB + 498.5 KiB = 1.1 MiB login
    524.0 KiB + 674.5 KiB = 1.2 MiB gconfd-2
    960.0 KiB + 242.0 KiB = 1.2 MiB sshd
    628.0 KiB + 677.5 KiB = 1.3 MiB dbus-daemon (2)
    1.4 MiB + 97.5 KiB = 1.4 MiB elogind-daemon
    1.6 MiB + 265.0 KiB = 1.9 MiB connmand
    1.8 MiB + 135.0 KiB = 1.9 MiB rsyslogd
    2.3 MiB + 446.5 KiB = 2.7 MiB wpa_supplicant
    2.4 MiB + 432.5 KiB = 2.8 MiB udevd
    3.1 MiB + 38.0 KiB = 3.2 MiB haveged
    1.4 MiB + 2.4 MiB = 3.7 MiB gksu
    2.6 MiB + 1.5 MiB = 4.1 MiB bash (3)
    5.5 MiB + 5.0 MiB = 10.6 MiB icewm
    7.0 MiB + 6.0 MiB = 13.0 MiB roxterm
    37.0 MiB + 1.5 MiB = 38.5 MiB Xorg
    ———————————
    99.1 MiB
    =================================

PS: so to prove how much I saved, I put slim back and rebooted again with slim set for min-icewm. The moral of the story is that I LOST 1 mb using startx on this machine because slim isn’t using 34 mb on this one.

bobc@m2400:~
    $ su
    Password:
    root@m2400:/home/bobc# ps_mem.py
    Private + Shared = RAM used Program

192.0 KiB + 42.0 KiB = 234.0 KiB gpm
    244.0 KiB + 53.5 KiB = 297.5 KiB acpid
    224.0 KiB + 97.5 KiB = 321.5 KiB cron
    256.0 KiB + 75.0 KiB = 331.0 KiB init
    188.0 KiB + 229.5 KiB = 417.5 KiB icewm-session
    368.0 KiB + 173.0 KiB = 541.0 KiB irqbalance
    332.0 KiB + 220.0 KiB = 552.0 KiB dbus-launch
    508.0 KiB + 61.0 KiB = 569.0 KiB rpc.idmapd
    392.0 KiB + 253.0 KiB = 645.0 KiB rpcbind
    464.0 KiB + 420.0 KiB = 884.0 KiB desktop-session
    332.0 KiB + 620.0 KiB = 952.0 KiB avahi-daemon (2)
    536.0 KiB + 481.5 KiB = 1.0 MiB su
    824.0 KiB + 255.5 KiB = 1.1 MiB rpc.statd
    420.0 KiB + 666.0 KiB = 1.1 MiB saned (2)
    508.0 KiB + 616.5 KiB = 1.1 MiB gconfd-2
    624.0 KiB + 558.0 KiB = 1.2 MiB getty (6)
    1.0 MiB + 257.0 KiB = 1.3 MiB sshd
    676.0 KiB + 651.0 KiB = 1.3 MiB dbus-daemon (2)
    1.4 MiB + 103.0 KiB = 1.5 MiB elogind-daemon
    1.6 MiB + 307.0 KiB = 1.9 MiB connmand
    1.8 MiB + 136.0 KiB = 1.9 MiB rsyslogd
    1.5 MiB + 547.5 KiB = 2.1 MiB gnome-keyring-daemon
    2.3 MiB + 424.5 KiB = 2.7 MiB wpa_supplicant
    1.7 MiB + 1.1 MiB = 2.8 MiB bash (2)
    2.4 MiB + 422.5 KiB = 2.8 MiB udevd
    3.1 MiB + 42.0 KiB = 3.2 MiB haveged
    1.4 MiB + 2.5 MiB = 3.9 MiB gksu
    3.4 MiB + 1.5 MiB = 5.0 MiB slim
    3.8 MiB + 2.0 MiB = 5.7 MiB icewm
    12.0 MiB + 3.5 MiB = 15.5 MiB roxterm
    34.2 MiB + 1.6 MiB = 35.8 MiB Xorg
    ———————————
    98.3 MiB
    =================================

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.

the README file there says to run “update-rc.d script defaults”

That, bracketed by quotation marks, should not be construed as a literal commandstring.
    man update-rc.d
    If still unclear after reading the manpage, hollerback.

I should have known to try that, skidoo, so thanks.

Sadly it was a dismal failure anyway, proving that you can’t save what wasn’t wasted…

I always wondered why antiX uses Slim.
    I still don’t understand it and I am also curious if I can remove it.
    I always used startx when learning with Slackware.

Have you ever read the code for startx? If not, go check it out (it’s just a shell script):
    leafpad /usr/bin/startx
    or, maybe better, for the moment just
    head -12 /usr/bin/startx

So, imagine you have been tasked with writing a “nicer version” of startx, toward architecting a desktop linux distribution in which users will have multiple window managers available to choose from. Additionally, must (per specs) provide users an opportunity to elect use of a desktop manager (or not) and, because some users are running resource-strapped machines, must provide an opportunity to forego loading of any autostarted niceties enumerated within the default ~/.xinitrc

Umm, oops, sorry… forgot to mention that your “nicer version” actually needs to accommodate user choice to elect use of {multiple available} desktop managers (or not). Also, the “nicer version” must provide a way for us to setup, and users to edit later, differing sets of “global” items to be autostarted regardless which window manager has been selected for the current session. Oh, and one more thing ~~ that ROX thing, it doesn’t parlayvoo XDG. We need to provide a way for users to assign preferred handlers for mail, for html documents, for text documents, and probably several additional mimetypes.

Time passes and… and a (confusingly similarly named) XDG “desktop session manager” spec becomes prevalent, and it becomes necessary for your “nicer version” to swing by and talk to PAM and pickup an authkey for the session manager, in case users wish to sideload additional WMs/DEs which actually provide a session manager module.

quick-like, skimread these if you’re wondering “Who’s PAM, and does she have a sister?”
    pam-easy-guide/#Linux-PAM-Benefit
    linuxjournal.com/article/5940

Together, the SLiM + desktop-session-antix package serve as the “nicer version” to provide that functionality, and more.
    (splitting hairs, it’d be more accurate to also credit desktop-session-*-antix, desktop-defaults-antix)
    If you prefer to remove SLiM from the flow and, instead “startx desktop-session {sessionname plus options}”, your alternative nicer solution might not suffer from failing to visit PAM, considering that the gnomes have have stolen her auth keyring. If you care to replace (or skip the step of invoking) desktop-session, you may need to rewire the logout and/or shutdown buttons and menu commands.

If you want to keep (I’m accustomed to paring down, vs building up from core) use antix ControlCenter in the absence of desktop-{defaults,session}-antix, need to edit its script and search/replace “desktop-defaults -t” with a suitable launchstring for your terminal emulator of choice. Similarly, need to replace “desktop-defaults -e” with your chosen text editor. Hmm, the ds-mouse cc item (encompasses multiple scripts in /usr/local/bin)(and …/lib/) and the set-dpi(?) script and probably a few others would need to be amended.

BobC, we have an additional utility available for viewing/managing the init.d runlevel links
    (it’s a perl script, present in debian stretch repos, but has been DebianGnomeTeam oBICHArated removed from buster repos)

sudo apt install chkconfig
    Its manpage provides a quite a few usage examples.

Thank you skidoo. I’ve got some reading to do and my understanding of how all of this works is far from where it needs to be if I’m going to be trying to make any changes to the already fantastic system you guys have created. If I am understanding anything on the subject of why antiX uses Slim (which is highly questionable) I guess it’s because Slim can be scripted to do a lot of things that I would otherwise have to handle myself if just starting with startx. Thanks for the clues and links to some reading material.

Seaken64

clarification: SLiM’s functionality is limited to a small/fixed number of duties. If auth succeeds, SLiM (initiates a login shell and) executes whatever you have specified as the login_cmd. The “scriptable” part is /usr/local/bin/desktop-session (as seen in antiX Base and Full).

masinickmasinick

“Weighing in” here, any discussion of paring down versus providing a simple, easy to use solution, unfortunately involves effort, experience, and compromise.

As things stand, each time we add items of convenience, we are generally adding tools that consume additional resources. This team has done a GREAT job of balancing and providing excellent trade-offs between the easiest, simplest tools and the fastest, most efficient ones. Any compromise isn’t going to be 100% perfect in every way, but I do feel that we provide an excellent framework for achieving a very nice balance between efficiency and usability for aging systems.

The most hardcore do it yourself enthusiast who wants to aim for their own ideas of perfection can do quite well by starting with the net, core, or even base implementations of antiX. Do note, however, that the less that is including in the software starting point, the more each person will have to do on their own to make their own solution perfect for their situation. The full implementation strikes the most reasonable compromise because it’s usable to a broad audience, but it may be a bit “heavy” for someone trying to contain memory usage under 100M; that may only be possible with a lot of personal tinkering.

I do recall that about a decade ago I was able to cut several simple antiX implementations comfortably under 100M, at least at login – somewhere between 58 – 62 MB if I remember correctly. These resource utilization values were extracted immediately after login with only a simple window manager and a single lightweight console terminal running. Someone was asking about getting down to 50 MB or less. Is it possible? Maybe, but it would involve many compromises, practically everything simplified, images stripped of things that may be very convenient for others, and VERY few process daemons running.

Those are my observations based on past history, observations of my own resource usage, coupled with the information provided throughout this thread. I hope these comments are useful and worthwhile to at least a few people.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.