antiX-19 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19 released

• This topic has 66 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Dec 8-7:41 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Full announcement to come, but for the early birds, antiX-19 is here!

Various versions can be found here: antiX-19

Enjoy!

Full announcement: antix-19-isos-available

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks, anti! To you and all the devs!

darknetmatrix
    Helpful
    Up

tnx antiX, domnload is running

heavy metal
    Helpful
    Up

Hi, can you tell me if I can upgrade from antiX 17 to 19, and if so, what are the steps to follow, thanks!

antiX 17 32-bit Running on a Gateway LT2030u mini Laptop

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

Awesome News Big Thank You to everybody involved..

To get the repo to work I had to change it to http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/buster/ buster main non-free

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

oops
    Helpful
    Up

Congratulations … and thank you.

KenzoG
    Helpful
    Up

One thing that one cannot help noticing is that the Base ISO is TOO BIG to fit onto a standard CD-R.
    i386 version 731 MB
    64-bit version 707 MB

Only standard 700 MB CD-R are sold in this country nowadays.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by KenzoG.
    Forum Admin
    BitJam
    Helpful
    Up

One thing that one cannot help noticing is that the Base ISO is TOO BIG to fit onto a standard CD-R.
    i386 version 707 MB
    64-bit version 731 MB

Only standard 700 MB CD-R are sold in this country nowadays.

I think there is confusion over the units being used. IIUC the CD-R limit is 700 MiB which is (700 * 1024 * 1024 bytes). antiX-19_x64-core.iso is 674 MiB which is 706 MB (700 * 1000 * 1000 bytes).

For example see the Wikipedia CD-R page. OTOH if you tried to burn a base iso to a CD-R and the iso was too large then maybe the Wikipedia page is wrong.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

KenzoG
    Helpful
    Up

Even though BitJam’s math is correct, this still results in the i386 version NOT fitting onto a standard CD-R.
    The i386 versions 731 MB equals MORE than 700 MiB, and thus will not fit on a standards CD-R.

This is a large problem for many older computers, like e.g. my old i686, which cannot write DVD’s.
    It is just so unnecessary, why not make the ISO for example 50 MB smaller, and save the users a lot of trouble !?

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    Helpful
    Up

Even though BitJam’s math is correct, this still results in the i386 version NOT fitting onto a standard CD-R.
    The i386 versions 731 MB equals MORE than 700 MiB, and thus will not fit on a standards CD-R.

I believe antiX-19_386-base.iso, while larger than the x64 version, is still only 697 MiB and thus will still fit on a 700 MiB CD-R.

Again if your experience says otherwise and the iso does not fit, then please let us know.

The sizes here in MiB are under 700 and the md5sums match:

$ du -h antiX-1*base.iso 
    698M	antiX-19_386-base.iso
    675M	antiX-19_x64-base.iso

$ md5sum antiX-1*base.iso 
    c44fc332dd1e0d02a14414ebfb7bff29  antiX-19_386-base.iso
    f8866a25b1fe54002156c2b8c6f5c7ae  antiX-19_x64-base.iso

I double checked the 386 size by having du give the size in bytes (730857472) and dividing by 1024 x 1024.

Again, unless you tried to burn the iso and it failed because it was too big, I believe these will fit on a CD-R.

Edit: I don’t know why du says 698M when it appears to be only 697 MiB but either way it is still smaller than 700 MiB.

malanrich
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve just burned the antiX-19_386-base.iso onto a standard Sony 700MB disk without any problem. Seems to fit fine.

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve just burned the antiX-19_386-base.iso onto a standard Sony 700MB disk without any problem. Seems to fit fine.

Brilliant! Thank you! Gold Star!

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up

Hah! Just after I put beta3 onto all my machines….. 😉

I take it not much change between the release & beta3 to worry about, just upgrade them(?).

Many thanks for all your work keeping our favourite distro going. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

KenzoG
    Helpful
    Up

Hello again, dear friends!
    As I have a mobile broadband with a limit for downloading per month to keep full speed, I prefer to wait a while, rather than downloading 698 MB in vain.
    The CD-R that I have at home are from the makes acme and Verbatim, standard 700 MB.

If I remember correctly, a few years back I failed to burn 697 MB on a 700 MB Verbatim CD-R.
    See the enclosed osta.org jpg: “In the real world the storage capacity can vary slightly between discs of different manufacturers.”

I guess time will tell, even if I personally think it would be wiser with a smaller ISO.
    When the next point version, usually more stable, comes I will give it a try.
    Thanks for all your help, KenzoG

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

I don’t care anymore as I boot my PLOP Floppy disc and watch paint dry as my usb 1.1 port boots.
    Yeah. It will be slow.
    I have a PLOP CD that does the same job.
    As far as upgrade from stretch to buster . This upgrade from AntiX 17 to AntiX 19?

One day. Users will learn it is way easier to back up configs to external usb drive , internal backup partition, or sd card and do a clean re-install. Way quicker and guarantee time won’t be wasted fixing breakage because of poor connection or what ever.

It is how I plan later on to upgrade this chromebook. As well as other hardware I have.
    For past how to upgrade procedures.
    The task bar on this forum has access to old forum archives.
    https://antixlinux.com/archive
    I’d use that to search for past how to’s.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.