antiX-19 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19 released

• This topic has 66 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Dec 8-7:41 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    KenzoG
    Helpful
    Up

There is one more aspect that in my opinion ought to be considered:
    If the i386 Base version at 698 MiB NOW fits in on (some brands of) 700 MiB standard CD-R,
    in a few months time the programs, such as the web browser, will have GROWN in size,
    and by the time of the first point release it will be well OVER 700 MiB, and thus no longer fit upon a CD-R.

Wouldn’t it be better to make the ISO SMALLER NOW, as I somehow don’t believe that it will be done when the 19.1 and 19.2
    point releases arrive.
    This would make those i386 Base version upcoming point releases useless for many people, including me, that have older computers
    that neither can burn DVDs nor be booted from USB.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by KenzoG.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by KenzoG.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Wouldn’t it be better to make the ISO SMALLER NOW, as I somehow don’t believe that it will be done when the 19.1 and 19.2
    point releases arrive.

Too late, I’m afraid.
    I did manage to install antiX-19 32 bit base on a 700MB cd using overburn and slow disk write.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Full announcement to come, but for the early birds, antiX-19 is here!

Various versions can be found here: antiX-19

Enjoy!

Thanks, anticapitalista! Downloading now and experimenting soon. I will be enjoying it for sure!

Wouldn’t it be better to make the ISO SMALLER NOW

I think you don’t understand the troubles the devs have to go through when selecting what packages are to NOT be included, so that it can fit those 700MB. They have to repeat this fight each release (main or point release), just so that people like you can enjoy them without having to go through the same process as BobC had to during the first alpha for antiX 19.

If it was up to me, I would have them NOT include firefox-esr (it would free quite some space) and force the browsers to be dillo or links 2. It would include an “icon” in the desktop saying “install Firefox” or “install a web browser” script to download and install a browser, but then people with limited bandwidth would not be happy with this option either, or would argue that taking away firefox is a big mistake as the default browsers are “shit”. As you see, nobody can ever win. The only solution for you would be to download and customize (delete stuff) before creating a snapshot (be it in virtual machine or different computer), and use that smaller ISO for yourself. Or ask in the forums if some kind person wants to do it for you.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

As a departure from what seems to be a dominating topic of whether 386 base fits on CD (I had no problem burning to standard CD, by the way):
    I am experiencing a problem with creation of Live USB now… I am aware that anticapitalista recently asked to to test but unfortunately I did not have enough time recently, sorry…
    In most cases so far after burning Live USB via Control Panel the resulting USB does not boot with ‘Missing operating system’. Creating Live USB on the same stick repeatedly resulted in booting one and subsequent creations on the same stick were not booting… This was performed from booted Full x64 DVD on two different sticks which ran antiX (both 17 and 19) before.
    I think since it worked in one attempt out of four it will eventually work though… And hopefully it will be resolved…
    Thanks and Regards.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by olsztyn.
    olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Subsequent testing of USB creation to narrow down this issue:
    It appears so far that the occurrence when Live USB is bootable was created with no ‘Encrypt’. Whenever ‘Encrypt’ is specified it seems such created Live USB is not bootable from my testing.
    I will test further, of course, to see how encrypted USB can be created…

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@olsztyn – this is a known issue (see announcement – at the bottom).
    For now, either don’t use encryption or use antiX-17 to make an encrypted Live-USB of antiX-19.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you anticapitalista! Workaround with using antiX 17 to burn Live antiX 19 is good enough for me…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I agree with Xecure. If the CD size boundary hits, from a DEV standpoint, the best bet is to remove something that isn’t needed to get connected, and provide a stub menu option to download and install it easily. As time goes by program packages get larger as programs get larger, so there aren’t so many easy solutions.

Another option that worked was to install from a different hard drive partition if you have an OS installed that will download it.

Or move the drive temporarily to another computer to be loaded with the .iso, then move it back.

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up

I’m with Roky, fresh install keeping your /home partition – (but don’t forget to keep a back up of your personal data somewhere anyway).

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up

Re making a smaller .iso – maybe we could use dillo on the base version next time – & let users download/install Firefox after installing to disk(?).

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

I can see it now. No sound in browser in base install. Just installed firefox. What is pulse audio? Why is not installed by default? 6 0f one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

What I mentioned earlier still applies to laptops like my panasonic CF-48 that only have floppy drive and cd rom drive and usb 1.1. As usual. Nobody listens.

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

PS. It will probably take a clueless linux user more time getting his firefox working right than using rufus on usb and burning a plop cd to boot it.

Then finding out the browser he just installed is just too much for his gear. Due to lack of knowledge. Something we try to compensate for also.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

greyowl
    Helpful
    Up

I can see it now. No sound in browser in base install. Just installed firefox. What is pulse audio? Why is not installed by default? 6 0f one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

What I mentioned earlier still applies to laptops like my panasonic CF-48 that only have floppy drive and cd rom drive and usb 1.1. As usual. Nobody listens.

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html
    <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQN25DeTGAw&#8221; allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”200″ width=”300″></iframe>

You can also use apulse for FF instead of PulseAudio. This allows you to continue to use Alsa as your computers sound system instead of changing to PulseAudio which some people believe to be inferior.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by greyowl.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop with antiX 19.3 (32 bit)
    Dell Latitude D620 laptop with antiX 19.3 (64 bit)

oops
    Helpful
    Up

… I would have them NOT include firefox-esr (it would free quite some space) and force the browsers to be dillo or links 2. It would include an “icon” in the desktop saying “install Firefox” or “install a web browser” script to download and install a browser…

Right, it’s a good idea for me too (for the antiX-19 base).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by oops.
    Forum Admin
    BitJam
    Helpful
    Up

Subsequent testing of USB creation to narrow down this issue:
    It appears so far that the occurrence when Live USB is bootable was created with no ‘Encrypt’. Whenever ‘Encrypt’ is specified it seems such created Live USB is not bootable from my testing.
    I will test further, of course, to see how encrypted USB can be created…

As anti said, this is a known and fixed problem. in live-usb-maker-0.4.0. It should be fixed in subsequent upgrades.

I also gave a quick fix over in the MX forums. To fix an encrypted live-usb that does not boot, (assuming it is at /dev/sdd) run this command:
    sudo parted /dev/sdd set 2 boot off set 1 boot on print
    It should show the “boot” flag on the first (ex4) partition.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.