antiX-19 runit release

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-19 runit release

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Dec 15-3:13 pm by Koo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Thought I would see how this works.

antiX-19 base version (sort of), but with runit as the init system instead of SysVinit.

This is an official version of antiX-19 and though it is stable, it is a bit of an experiment.
    Available in 32 and 64 bit.

* Default kernel is 4.9.200
    * based on antiX-base version, but with some changes
    * live iso built using lz4 compression, which means a faster boot, but larger iso file size.
    * IceWM only (fluxbox, JWM and herbstluftwm removed)
    * plain IceWM is default window manager to keep RAM usage low – ie no rox ‘desktop’ meaning that no icons on the desktop (live boot though via F6 or installed under Desktop menu give Rox-IceWM and min-IceWM options)
    * spacefm removed
    * uses ceni for networking – no connman installed
    * there are bugs especially when running live eg on boot you will see some sequence of green ‘OK’s and reboot will actually shutdown the computer.
    * as is the case with base versions of antiX, synaptic is not installed

If you find on installation that no drives are shown in /media, then delete the /etc/fstab file and type this in a terminal

sudo make-fstab

Give it a try – post your impressions/comments/bugs over at antiX forums.

Files here:

antiX-19-runit

Enjoy!

anticapitalista

Thessaloniki, 10 December 2019.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added more info

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Atlanelan
    Helpful
    Up

By following Mx forum thread I installed runit in antiX19 base-xfce frugal.The only issue I had was reboot not works.Ram usage was almost same in both inits.I reverted back to sysvinit.Is reboot and other power options working in this antiX-19 runit respin @anticapitalista?

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Looking forward to trying this out; downloading it now.

Update: I’ve been able to execute the new image. For the most part, it works, although I’ve had it freeze on me when I select certain menus and they are either awaiting a response or do not have something configured. I have not finished my analysis yet on what’s happening. Other than that, I’ve been able to boot the antiX-19 runit image and use it live.

If I can identify the few areas that are misbehaving I will report them; the image itself boots and works fine.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

I have done some preliminary testing (64bit) and my observations are the following:
    – Booted fine – needless to say…
    – Creation of Live USB encrypted worked (apparently thanks to kernel 4.9 used and not 4.19)
    – Persistence appears to work as expected
    – Synaptic appears to be character based window, not gui. I am not sure this is Base feature or else…
    – Unrelated, just comment, a bit struggled through typical roughness of IceWM, not having Fluxbox/Radiant yet available..
    – I think I noticed twice that clicking on Logout, the Reboot option it actually proceded to shut down my laptop rather than rebooting.
    – Ceni works as usual
    – Included Firefox appears to work as expected
    – Installed Kodi (17.6). Kodi worked as expected.
    – After installation of Kodi however the only Desktop available in ‘Other Desktops’ was Kodi. The previously existing variants of IceWM were gone. I think this would happen in antiX 19 runit or not, so unrelated to runit.
    – RAM use appears no different but I think this is expected.
    – The sequence of green ‘OK’s during boot in three groups – is this representing various services starting in their levels?

With my very limited understanding I have a feeling that runit seems a good path to continue in order to stay away from systemd mess, service start and management better controlled…

Edit:
    It looks like runit is very much in favor and systemd is not:
    https://www.slant.co/versus/12956/12960/~systemd_vs_runit

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by olsztyn.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

By following Mx forum thread I installed runit in antiX19 base-xfce frugal.The only issue I had was reboot not works.Ram usage was almost same in both inits.I reverted back to sysvinit.Is reboot and other power options working in this antiX-19 runit respin @anticapitalista?

Not live or frugal – this is what we want to fix for possible future versions.
    It seems installed works as it should though.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Needless to say I am excited at the possibility we may soon see antiX update based on runit…
    As Restart/Shutdown issue on Live or Frugal does not seem material, everything else seems to work, not counting quirks not related to runit.
    A minor question: Is this test edition of runit antiX really Base? The size of ISO seems substantially larger than antiX 19 Base and items such as Bluetooth are included, which Base of antiX 19 is not supposed to contain (according to Full/Base difference list)…
    Or is this actually Full minus Office suite?

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up

Downloading 64bit now – will have a look tomorrow when I have more time to play.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

For the most part, it works, although I’ve had it freeze on me when I select certain menus and they are either awaiting a response or do not have something configured. I have not finished my analysis yet on what’s happening. Other than that, I’ve been able to boot the antiX-19 runit image and use it live.

If I can identify the few areas that are misbehaving I will report them; the image itself boots and works fine.

Most subsequent runs worked better.
    Sticking to browsing does not bring out issues. Experimenting with the help options and wallpapers on other file systems yields different results at different times when running live. I’ve not installed the image.

Brian Masinick

fungalnet
    Helpful
    Up

I tried it too, it worked very well and installed even better.
    The way runit is setup is a bit different than I know from void. Is there any documentation on the setup yet?
    The service setup cli. for sysvinit is still in there, is it modified to enable/disable runit services? I didn’t play with it but it is interesting.
    I was expecting to find a /run/runit or /run/runsv directory with links to some /etc/runit/… service directory but I got lost. I need to play with it some more.
    Impressive work on Icewm too. Ever since I started with antix it was a minimal installation and then I used openbox with some more minimalism so I have missed out on the different antix tools. The installer-gui is pretty impressive as well. Wow!!
    I think this is a leap in a good direction of init-freedom

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@olsztyn – it is a modified base version. The reason the iso is much larger us because I used lz4 compression for this (usually base uses xz).
    lz4 compresses and decompresses much faster than xz (boot speed should be faster), but at the expense of a larger linuxfs/squashfs file.

@fungalnet – runit on Debian and hence on antiX (at least for now) is probably not pure as used by void linux.
    It seems to be using sysvinit scripts. Have a look in /etc/runit. The only documentation is from Debian and/or the manpage.

@all – think of this release as experimental and a testing platform to see how well we can get runit working on antiX.
    As in the announcement, running live has issues, but most seem not to cause a broken.nonworking live system.
    Running installed seems to work much better.

fatmac
    Helpful
    Up

Running live, it started up OK & gave me the desktop in reasonable time, however, as it wouldn’t connect to my wifi, neither 5G (which I normally use on this particular computer), nor 2G, I didn’t go any further – but as an init, it seemed to work OK.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

fungalnet
    Helpful
    Up

I did some more searching around the guts of the system so I decided to play. I discovered the sysv scripts along with runit intertwined, made the mistake of using apt remove instead of apt purge. So off it went and in came s6.
    Execline needs to be hacked and copied from /usr/share/…. to /usr/bin/ but that is not all.
    Buster stuff is two major versions back, sid has the current s6 versions, they have some libraries though that should have had conflict 2.7–>2.9 that can coexist, more mess to clean up.
    Then I install 66 on top. Tried to boot it left / ro, I had to modify the /usr/bin/init command for rw
    Then I discovered some errors were caused by the s6 being half of what it is expected to be. s6-linux-utils and s6-portable-utils have not been brought over by debian. More hacking. Reboot, halt, poweroff, shutdown, all work. Minor problem with logging left to be ironed out, but the s6/66 marvel lives on antiX now 🙂
    If you are interested in this subscribe to the 66 list https://obarun.org/mailman/listinfo
    I need to make a service file for slim now … I will keep you posted. I am also shifting the whole installation to sid … goodbye old software.

I hope the entire IBM and “subsidiaries” crumble down and vanish.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@fungalnet – please start a separate thread about your exploits with s6/66 and antiX otherwise it might get lost here. Thanks.

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

Installed 19.1 your antiX-19 runit release a couple of days ago run the default kernel 4.9.200 had a few miner issues with my lan internet dropping out or not working after booting and hwmon changing from 1 to 2 and vise visa with conky and coretemp. Both seem to now be Fixed

Just installed intel-microcode update updated kernel to Linux antix19 5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp also installed nvidia driver 440.44 sgfxi version everything is working just fine at the moment.

Thanks for a nice job..

System:    Host: antix19 Kernel: 5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
               parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp 
               root=UUID=2b563ead-5ae4-4afc-92ef-258e9fb8fb6b ro quiet 
               Desktop: i3 4.17.1-117-gf130dece info: i3bar dm: SLiM 1.3.6 
               Distro: antiX-19-runit_x64-base Marielle Franco 9 December 2019 
               base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:   Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: All Series v: N/A serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H97I-PLUS v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends 
               v: 3602 date: 04/08/2018 
    Memory:    RAM: total: 15.58 GiB used: 325.9 MiB (2.0%) 
               RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required. 
    PCI Slots: Permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required. 
    CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell 
               family: 6 model-id: 3C (60) stepping: 3 microcode: 27 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
               bogomips: 55872 
               Speed: 1730 MHz min/max: 800/3900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2793 2: 2437 3: 2531 
               4: 3053 5: 1883 6: 3570 7: 3458 8: 1739 
               Flags: abm acpi aes aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon avx avx2 bmi1 bmi2 bts clflush 
               cmov constant_tsc cpuid cpuid_fault cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts epb ept ept_ad 
               erms est f16c flexpriority flush_l1d fma fpu fsgsbase fxsr ht ibpb ibrs ida invpcid 
               invpcid_single lahf_lm lm mca mce md_clear mmx monitor movbe msr mtrr nonstop_tsc nopl 
               nx pae pat pbe pcid pclmulqdq pdcm pdpe1gb pebs pge pln pni popcnt pse pse36 pti pts 
               rdrand rdtscp rep_good sdbg sep smep smx ss ssbd sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 stibp 
               syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc tsc_adjust tsc_deadline_timer vme vmx vnmi vpid x2apic 
               xsave xsaveopt xtopology xtpr 
               Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: Split huge pages 
               Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable 
               Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable 
               Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI 
               Type: spec_store_bypass 
               mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp 
               Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization 
               Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: 
               conditional, RSB filling 
               Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected 
    Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia 
               v: 440.44 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:13c2 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia compositor: compton 
               v: 0.1~beta2+20150922 resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.44 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel 
               v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:8ca0 
               Device-2: NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
               driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0fbb 
               Device-3: N/A type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 3-10:5 
               chip ID: 0644:8045 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp 
    Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I218-V vendor: ASUSTeK driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 
               bus ID: 00:19.0 chip ID: 8086:15a1 
               IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
               IP v4: <filter> type: dynamic scope: global broadcast: <filter> 
               IP v6: <filter> scope: link 
               WAN IP: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 4.55 TiB used: 566.82 GiB (12.2%) 
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB block size: 
               physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 3B6Q scheme: GPT 
               ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB block size: 
               physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 1B6Q scheme: GPT 
               ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 size: 3.64 TiB 
               block size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm 
               serial: <filter> rev: 0A80 scheme: GPT 
    RAID:      Message: No RAID data was found. 
    Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 85.51 GiB size: 83.66 GiB (97.84%) used: 4.64 GiB (5.5%) fs: ext4 
               dev: /dev/sda6 label: rootantiX19 uuid: 2b563ead-5ae4-4afc-92ef-258e9fb8fb6b 
               ID-2: /boot/efi raw size: 487.0 MiB size: 486.0 MiB (99.80%) used: 5.4 MiB (1.1%) 
               fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1 label: N/A uuid: 21A7-C495 
               ID-3: /home raw size: 100.38 GiB size: 98.30 GiB (97.93%) used: 1.29 GiB (1.3%) 
               fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 label: homeantiX uuid: c98e0339-7589-4c24-ad3c-3f0720ba6d34 
               ID-4: /media/My-storage raw size: 3.64 TiB size: 3.64 TiB (100.00%) 
               used: 499.41 GiB (13.4%) fs: ntfs dev: /dev/sdc2 label: My-storage 
               uuid: 0656D59556D58639 
               ID-5: /media/sda3 raw size: 93.01 GiB size: 91.05 GiB (97.89%) used: 8.77 GiB (9.6%) 
               fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 label: N/A uuid: 141fca0d-6387-4a3c-a1ae-d62584d42aa9 
               ID-6: /media/storage1 raw size: 465.76 GiB size: 465.76 GiB (100.00%) 
               used: 52.69 GiB (11.3%) fs: ntfs dev: /dev/sdb1 label: storage1 uuid: 01D521E1135392A0 
    Unmounted: ID-1: /dev/sda2 size: 128.0 MiB fs: ext4 label: N/A 
               uuid: 21bb464d-70ef-4457-8659-a199bc092281 
               ID-2: /dev/sda4 size: 186.26 GiB fs: ext4 label: N/A 
               uuid: 2dd2314d-5bef-4516-b93d-e94ff5205061 
               ID-3: /dev/sda7 size: 4.0 MiB fs: swap label: N/A 
               uuid: ca1dc31c-44e4-48e4-9ce0-7603f7e65066 
               ID-4: /dev/sdc1 size: 128.0 MiB fs: <root required> label: N/A uuid: N/A 
    USB:       Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s 
               chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
               Hub: 1-1:2 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s 
               chip ID: 8087:8009 
               Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s 
               Hub: 2-1:2 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s 
               chip ID: 8087:8001 
               Hub: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 14 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s 
               Device-1: 3-3:2 info: N/A type: Printer driver: usblp interfaces: 2 rev: 2.0 
               speed: 480 Mb/s chip ID: 04f9:009e serial: <filter> 
               Device-2: 3-4:3 info: N/A type: <vendor specific> driver: N/A interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 
               speed: 480 Mb/s chip ID: 04a9:190e 
               Device-3: 3-6:4 info: N/A type: Mouse,HID,Keyboard driver: hid-generic,usbhid 
               interfaces: 3 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s chip ID: 1532:0043 
               Device-4: 3-10:5 info: N/A type: Audio,HID driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
               interfaces: 5 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip ID: 0644:8045 
               Device-5: 3-13:6 info: N/A type: Keyboard,HID driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 2 
               rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s chip ID: 046d:c339 serial: <filter> 
               Hub: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 6 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s 
               chip ID: 1d6b:0003 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.5 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 49 C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 875 fan-1: 1374 fan-3: 629 fan-4: 0 fan-5: 0 gpu: nvidia fan: 0% 
               Voltages: 12v: N/A 5v: N/A 3.3v: 3.34 vbat: 3.26 
    Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
               1: deb http: //la.mxrepo.com/antix/buster buster main nonfree
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
               1: deb http: //ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
               Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
               1: deb http: //ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
               2: deb http: //security.debian.org/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
               No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list 
               No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
    Processes: CPU top: 5 
               1: cpu: 6.1% command: sdc2 started by: mount.ntfs-3g pid: 1412 mem: 4.44 MiB (0.0%) 
               2: cpu: 5.4% command: mpd pid: 2553 mem: 30.4 MiB (0.1%) 
               3: cpu: 3.2% command: xorg pid: 2297 mem: 51.5 MiB (0.3%) 
               4: cpu: 1.5% command: runit pid: 1 mem: 0.71 MiB (0.0%) 
               5: cpu: 1.3% command: gtkdialog pid: 3038 mem: 27.3 MiB (0.1%) 
               Memory top: 5 
               1: mem: 51.5 MiB (0.3%) command: xorg pid: 2297 cpu: 3.2% 
               2: mem: 37.0 MiB (0.2%) command: i3 pid: 2469 cpu: 0.1% 
               3: mem: 33.7 MiB (0.2%) command: slim pid: 2289 cpu: 0.9% 
               4: mem: 30.4 MiB (0.1%) command: mpd pid: 2553 cpu: 5.4% 
               5: mem: 28.8 MiB (0.1%) command: yad pid: 3095 cpu: 0.0% 
    Info:      Processes: 209 Uptime: N/A Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2 default: 5 Compilers: 
               gcc: 8.3.0 alt: 8 Client: shell wrapper v: 5.0.3-release inxi: 3.0.36 
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Koo.

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Can’t report anything really new here.
    I installed antiXrunit19 on the hard drive of my laptop.
    The media_folder was empty.
    A reboot doesn’t work here, neither live nor installed, respectively of 10 reboots of the installed system about 5 fail.
    I got the impression that every 2nd attempt succeeded.
    But it does not shutdown instead of reboot if failing. The laptop hangs with a dark screen and I have to press the powerbutton.
    Shutdown works though. Everything else so far too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.