antiX-21/22 to antiX-23

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo antiX-21/22 to antiX-23

• This topic has 46 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Oct 24-7:03 pm by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Somebody will ask if it is possible or advisable to upgrade existing installed (or frugal) antiX-21/22 to antiX-23.

The answer is that it is possible, but not necessarily advised.

I managed to roll from antiX-19 to antiX-21 after antiX-21 was released without major issues.
      If you do this make sure you have a reliable Internet connection and a reliable and fast mirror.

So today I thought I’d dist-upgrade to antiX-23.
      I have the runit version.
      This is what I did. YMMV.

1. Get antiX-21 fully updated before changing any repos.
      2. I manually changed all the repos to bookworm
      3. apt update followed by apt dist-upgrade showed something like 2800 packages to be upgraded.
      It also showed an issue with sysvinit-utils-antix
      4. Before any upgrade install sysvinit-utils-antix ie apt install sysvinit-utils-antix
      This frees any issues.
      5. apt dist-upgrade
      6. At some point there was an error with iptables-persistent
      Fix – apt install iptables-persistent
      7. apt -f install
      8. Virtualbox causes issues so to fix apt purge virtualbox
      9. apt -f install
      10. All seems ok.
      11. Reboot
      12. Issue with Internet fixed by running ifup eth0 and making the missing symlinks
      13. /etc/rc.local got removed (no idea how o why) so I copied the one from the live iso
      14. All seems ok

If you do try it, make sure you have a lot of free space.
      Make sure you have a backup of all your important stuff.

• This topic was modified 6 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: typo

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Maeglin

Thanks for the heads-up about rc.local. I backed it up, just in case, but didn’t have the same issue there.

The one issue I have had so far is with the new /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list. The referenced keyring file was missing, so it wouldn’t accept the repository at la.mxrepo.com. Going back to the old source list, pointing to mirrors.rit.edu, sorted it.

blur13

Has anybody tried to roll from antiX-19 to antiX-23? Maybe go from 19 to 21 and then to 23.

sybok

@blur13:
            antiX releases and the corresponding Debian release:
            antiX 19 = Buster (Debian 10)
            antiX 21|22 = Bullseye (Debian 11)
            antiX 23 = Bookworm (Debian 12)

I read recently someone tried to upgrade Devuan from Buster-based (oldoldstable) to Bookworm-based (stable) and it was a step too large to succeed.
            Therefore, I would advise 2-step process antiX 19 -> 21|22 -> 23.

@anticapitalista:

12. Issue with Internet fixed by running ifup eth9 and making the missing symlinks

A typo: eth9 -> eth0 ?

Brian Masinick

Has anybody tried to roll from antiX-19 to antiX-23? Maybe go from 19 to 21 and then to 23.

I didn’t leap all the way from antiX 19 to antiX 23, but I just used anti’s method from post #115149 and
              I had fantastic success.

I have pretty simple, clean implementations, and I also clean up a LOT of garbage stuff.

The result was OUTSTANDING; unlike anticapitalista, I didn’t have to do anything extra other than
              change all of the relevant repo information from bullseye to bookworm, then
              run apt update followed by apt dist-upgrade.

Unbelievably, zero errors and it appears to work perfectly. I’ll have to reboot to be 100%
              certain, but it all worked; be back soon to report whether it actually worked or not.

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

When I rebooted, there were a few more packages to install pertaining to device configurations;
                these also installed without further issues.

Since I did an upgrade rather than a reinstallation, the antiX version continues to show
                antiX 22; however it’s definitely an upgrade; everything else shows Bookworm, including
                the Debian 12.1 release.

Complete success!

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

la.mxrepo.com

I found the same thing with la.mxrepo.com – just ran the repo manager for antiX and Debian;
                  that took care of any potential problems; however, except for the final “tuneup” and configuration,
                  things worked surprisingly well even before running the repo manager tool.

Now that the job is done, this other system is the virtual equivalent of my other antiX 23 systems,
                  with the only visible differences being the antiX identification string; I could even change that
                  manually, but it worked fine as it is, so I’m leaving it as a reminder of this exercise!

--
                  Brian Masinick

abc-nix

It also showed an issue with sysvinit-utils-antix
                    4. Before any upgrade install sysvinit-utils-antix ie apt install sysvinit-utils-antix

Thanks for this. I have been holding packages for months after migrating to testing from antiX 21. Now this is fixed. I just need to fix desktop-session so it can find wayland sessions and I will be done.

jpantix

First an introduction. I’m JP and a couple of months ago I installed the amazing Antix 21/22 on my Pentium 4 laptop circa 2002. Many thanks to all involved! I had not used this laptop in years, essentially since XP became unsupported. However, I’d like to have another operating computer and wanted to slow down the cycle of device replacement in my house. I’m typing this message using Seamonkey in a Fluxbox theme. I digress.

I’d like to update my system to Antix 23 using the above generous guidance. However, since I’m a newbie to administering my own Unix system, I’d appreciate running by my specific plan for “changing the repos” step in the five files includes in /etc/apt/sources.list.d. What I plan to do is the following:

1. For “antix.list” I will simply change references from bullseye to bookworm
                      2. For “debian.list” I will simply change bullseye to bookworm in non-free repos line
                      3. For “various.list” I will simply leave this alone
                      4. For “bullseye-backports.list” I will change the file name and the file name to reflect bookworm
                      5. For “debianstable-updates.list” I will simply modify to bookworm

Thank you for the hand-holding in advance! I will probably send a message about upgrading to testing at some point. Hopefully shorter than this message!

Brian Masinick

Greetings @JP and welcome back to antiX 23 (note the use of upper and lower case).

I had really good success on one of my systems, doing pretty much what you stated – wherever Bullseye or bullseye are mentioned, change them to Bookworm or bookworm.

Add sudo apt install iptables-persistent if it doesn’t automatically install.
                        Use sudo apt install -f to correct any uninstalled packages.

When complete, run sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade one more time to make sure
                        there are no more packages to install or update.

Post #115149 from anticapitalista shares the in depth details; I was able to skip a
                        few of his items, but if you run each step, it won’t hurt anything and you’ll have
                        a high probability of success; it worked well for me too.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

Don’t forget to also add

non-free-firmware

to the bookworm-backports.list, debian-stable-updates.list and debian.list

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Don’t forget to also add

non-free-firmware

to the bookworm-backports.list, debian-stable-updates.list and debian.list

Absolutely; in most of the update, upgrade or installation scenarios I’ve used, the
                            non-free-firmware entry is usually added automatically; if that isn’t the case, then
                            yes, it should be explicitly added.

--
                            Brian Masinick

jpantix

Thanks to Brian and Anticapitalista for your help!

I ran the program and all went well — no problem with sysvinit or iptables — until the end, where there was an error.

In the dist-upgrade itself and in the following “sudo apt -f install” I get the following error:

Unpacking libssl3:i386 (3.0.9-1) . . .
                              dpkg-deb (subprocess) decompressing archive ‘/var/cache/apt/archives/libssl3_3.0.9-1_i386.deb’ (size=2019388) member ‘data.tar’: lzma: compressed data is corrupt.
                              dpkg-deb: eror: <decompress> subprocess returned error exit status 2
                              and so on . . .

Question: Is there an easy way I can replace this deb package, or would you recommend the standard install. I have the base system and only need to save my configs so punting might the expedition option. In anticapitalista’s original post, it was clearly stated that this might not work for all.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by jpantix.
                              abc-nix

Is there an easy way I can replace this deb package

Try with
                                sudo apt-get autoclean
                                and then again
                                sudo apt update && sudo apt install -f

Brian Masinick

@jpantix I can’t remember if that package failed for me or not.

If I had an issue, I used it anyway; in any case, SSL works fine and so do the remaining packages.

I see abc-nix has a good suggestion; go with that recommendation.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.