antiX-21/22 to antiX-23

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo antiX-21/22 to antiX-23

• This topic has 52 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Apr 14-12:07 am by DragonGirlsAndTrucks.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

Hi all,

I started to upgrade my 22 runit to 23 following anticapitalista’s instructions in the OP.

When I did a test install of sysvinit-utils-antix, it called for the removal of lsb-base and the uprgrade of libc-bin, libc-l10n, libc6 and locales.

Questions (before proceeding):

(1) Is the removal of lsb-base OK?
      (2) Why do I need a sysvinit package when I am running runit (as anticapitalista was)?

If this removal sounds wrong, is it a reflection of a repo problem? I used the debian.org and the la.mxrepo.com for this apt update.

stevesr0

jpantix

This ultimately did the trick (the recommendation from abc-nix to autoclean and update). I had to do this a couple of times, each time for an error of decompressing that would arise. At least once, I tried the autoclean followed by the updating and it failed, but then it worked a while later.

Thanks to Anticapitalista, Brian, and abc-nix for the help!

Since the system is now just helping me learn to set up linux, I might re-install later from the official iso for a process comparison.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by jpantix.
        Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Hi all,

I started to upgrade my 22 runit to 23 following anticapitalista’s instructions in the OP.

When I did a test install of sysvinit-utils-antix, it called for the removal of lsb-base and the uprgrade of libc-bin, libc-l10n, libc6 and locales.

Questions (before proceeding):

(1) Is the removal of lsb-base OK?
          (2) Why do I need a sysvinit package when I am running runit (as anticapitalista was)?

If this removal sounds wrong, is it a reflection of a repo problem? I used the debian.org and the la.mxrepo.com for this apt update.

stevesr0

1, Yes
          2. that sysvinit-utils-antix package is part of how we set up runit. It is needed.
          If you don’t install it first, you will definitely get a broken upgrade.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

stevesr0

Thanks, anticapitalista.

stevesr0

stevesr0

Hi all,

Just applied the upgrade from 21/22 to 23 as outlined in the opening post.

The only difficulty in the full-upgrade was a message about libncursesw6.4-4_amd64.deb not being downloadable, which interrupted the upgrade. I then was able to upgrade that package using apt install and then reran the full-upgrade with apparent normal completion.

No problem with connecting via wifi on the reboot.

The /etc/rc.local file was present.

ONE thing that is peculiar: the new wallpaper showed up briefly after logging in, then switched to the old wallpaper!

I looked in the control centre, but don’t see the 23 wallpaper on the options.

OTHER thing is the boot takes a long time (subjectively) trying to connect to eth0, before giving up and completing. Then it automatically was connected via my wifi connection. On my prior antiX installs on this computer (19 and 21/22), the system didn’t get noticeably stuck ethernet wasn’t connected. Not sure how to get the computer to recognize if there is or isn’t an Ethernet connection. Will try to find this out and report back, but if someone knows how to do this, I will happily accept the solution.

stevesr0

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by stevesr0.
              xanthian

Thanks for the tutorial! It worked on my live stick, at least the stick booted safely.
                I have only one problem. I get a “Critical Error” with this contents:
                “Unable to create an interface to connman on the system bus.
                CMST will not be able to communicate with conman.”
                Connman UI shows no interface (just blank frame).
                I don’t know how severe is this issue, and anyway I am more glad that the upgrade succeeded.
                Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

Brian Masinick

Depending on the version of software you are using, you should (hopefully), have a tool called antiX WiFi Switch, which is located in the Applications –> antiX menu. Assuming you have this, run the antiX WiFi Switch and select Ceni instead of Connman, since you are experiencing issues with Connman. This is one of the reasons why we provide more than one version of several utilities.

See if this helps and please let us know the outcome, or if there are any additional questions or comments.

Thanks!

--
                  Brian Masinick

xanthian

Thank you for the indications!
                    Unfortunately there is no Wifi Switch application in my menu. I tried to use Ceni. It worked and configured my LAN card so that Conky showed eth0 as working, but my browser and other apps cannot use the internet connection. I remember that I had this problem some time before and I remember that I managed to find some hints about it somewhere.
                    In the meantime I tried to check kernel version and I was disappointed to see that it’s still the 5.10 kernel… It seems that the upgrade didn’t work after all, or that the live system reverted itself to linuxfs.old.
                    Anyway, thanks for your lessons. I’ll try again when I get some free time.

Brian Masinick

How old is your hardware? If it’s pretty new, you may need a relatively new kernel in order to support your system.
                      Also, even on one of my systems where the 5.10 kernel was supported, some kernel updates in that series worked for me,
                      but for curious reasons, the 5.10 kernel has been the only kernel series in the entire time I’ve used Linux software,
                      dating back to late 1995, that has been problematical. Ironically enough, for others, it’s one of the few kernels
                      that work.

The message here is that one size and one version is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to support all hardware.
                      The very good news is that there are numerous kernel options available, including a few that are directly supported
                      by antiX, and hundreds of others supported by Debian, kernel.org, or other independent sources, such as liquorix.net
                      and http://xanmod.org/. It’s not usually necessary to search for options outside of antiX, yet if you are struggling,
                      there are many alternatives, so there’s no reason to give up. Best wishes!

--
                      Brian Masinick

jeffmernier

Very helpful your hints. I upgraded from 22 to 23 rebooted all good except DNS broke, and can’t restore it. I followed all these hints below, without success.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/494324/how-to-setup-dns-manually-on-linux

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by jeffmernier.
                        xanthian

Thank you, I appreciate your indications! My system CPU and motherboard are at least 3 years old.
                          I think that I have the same problem with jeffmernier, as it is raised in post 116652.

abc-nix

Hi, @jeffmernier and @xanthian.

Your problem could be related to this issue from 2021. It is very likely that a connman default configuration was updated and it no longer resolvs dns. Try some of the solutions proposed in that thread if antix-wifi-switch is no longer installed.

Edit: there seems to be a video with a possible answer posted in the same thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsC5P1vvWd8

abc-nix

Warning for new users who want to update to antiX 23. In this relase, some gui and cli scripts for mini-programs were removed from antix-goodies package, in favor of giving them their own separate package.

Some of those programs will now only be available if you install those packages, which are:

• yad-goodies-antix (includes antiX updater, autoremove, recently-used, and other yad scripts).
                              • icewm-goodies-antix (contains icewm related graphical interfaces that help manage icewm)
                              • antix-wifi-switch (for switching between connman and ceni as network managers)
                              • android-device-usb-connect-antix (to mount your android phone)

Those are the ones I found. Once a more complete list is created, the OP post can include it so to warn people updating from previous versions of antiX.

In the meantime I tried to check kernel version and I was disappointed to see that it’s still the 5.10 kernel…

antiX kernels will never update automatically as to avoid possible “cannot boot into system after kernel update” issues. Please, update your kernel manually if you want to test the newer kenrels.

jeffmernier

Thanks! On my machine with DNS resolver broken I have these:

root@antix:/home/brad# service resolvconf status
                                resolvconf updates are disabled ... failed!
                                root@antix:/home/brad# readlink /etc/resolv.conf
                                /run/connman/resolv.conf

I enabled and started resolvconf service and DNS started. Thanks!

BUT .. after reboot DNS failed again. Needs to start manually every time. But when /etc/resolv.conf symlink is pointed to /run/connman/resolv.conf
                                resolveconf.service fails succesfully

Brian Masinick

Some additional details –
                                  from what I can tell only the full ISO images in runit and sysVinit forms provide a Version 6.1 kernel; the others start with a 5.10 kernel – in particular I found this true with the Base version, and I am pretty certain it applies to the Net, and Core versions as well as the Base.

Also regarding all the concerns about Pipewire – for those who DEFINITELY don’t want it, the base version doesn’t include Pipewire as standard, and also there is a script to enable or disable the functionality of Pipewire – I don’t have a lot of experience with that one, so those who definitely want only an ALSA experience should configure their systems accordingly.

Regarding the tools abc-nix mentioned, that was pretty well documented as we were completing the final testing efforts and I believe it’s also mentioned in the release announcement; if that’s wrong, those documents should be explicitly updated (but as I said, I’m pretty sure all of this HAS been documented).

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.