antiX-21-base versions

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-21-base versions

• This topic has 48 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated Sep 8-12:14 pm by ModdIt.
Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

I was writing to PPC and unintentionally, I used his own phrase when referring to antiX, I wrote “Swiss army knife”, I love antiX for consuming few resources (processing and RAM memory) and still offering a multitude of application programs that for me are solutions. In our conversation the subject “bloated” was brought up and that something that for me may be “important, may not have the same value for others”. Thinking about this, I remembered this topic and thought I should share with everyone what I wrote for PPC.

If the people who complain or say that antiX Full is “bloated” and consider that there are useless or unnecessary programs for its use, then I imagine that these people need an ISO Base with practically no pre-installed programs. Only with the graphical interface, several drivers to be able to run on several computers, programs that help the internet connection function as the trio antiX Wifi Switch + Ceni + Connman to facilitate the internet connection, text editor, image viewer, screen capture, a file manager and in the multimedia menu (only the two alsamixer). On this ISO there would not be the various solutions that make the user’s life easier (it pains me to write this), such as TIM, menu manager, the various programs present in the multimedia, system, antiX, etc. menus. From then on, it is up to the user to install the programs he wants, the user cannot complain that antiX is poor and without programs, which we all know is not true.

Could this even smaller configuration fit on a 700 MB CD?

I thank the anticapitalista, the developers and the programmers who often want to know the opinion of all users and still accept the suggestions for the constant improvement of antiX.

Thank you very much for antiX.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

– – – – –

Eu estava escrevendo para o PPC e sem querer, eu utilizei a própria frase dele quando me referia ao antiX, eu escrevi “canivete Suíço”, eu adoro o antiX por consumir poucos recursos (processamento e memória RAM) e ainda oferecer uma infinidade de programas aplicativos que para mim são soluções. Em nossa conversa o assunto “inchado” foi abordado e que algo que para mim pode ser “importante, pode não tem o mesmo valor para os outros”. Pensando nisso, eu me lembrei deste tópico e achei que eu deveria compartilhar com todos o que escrevi para o PPC.

Se as pessoas que reclamam ou dizem que o antiX Full está “inchado” e considera que exitem programas inúteis ou desnecessários para o seu uso, então eu imagino que estas pessoas precisam de uma ISO Base praticamente sem programas pré-instalados. Apenas com a interface gráfica, vários os controladores para poder funcionar em vários computadores, programas que auxiliam o funcionamento de conexão com a internet como trio antiX Wifi Switch + Ceni + Connman para facilitar a conexão com a internet, editor de texto, visualizador de imagens, captura de tela, um gerenciador de arquivos e no menu multimídia (apenas os dois alsamixer). Nesta ISO não haveria as várias soluções que facilitam a vida do usuário (é doloroso para mim escrever isso), como TIM, gerenciador do menu, os diversos programas presentes nos menus multimídia, sistema, antiX, etc. Daí por diante, fica a critério do usuário instalar os programas que quiser, não poderá o usuário reclamar que o antiX é pobre e sem programas, o que todos nós sabemos que não é verdade.

Será que esta configuração ainda menor que caberia em um CD de 700 MB?

Eu agradeço ao anticapitalista, aos desenvolvedores e aos programadores que frenquentemente querem saber a opinião de todos os usuários e ainda aceitam as sugestões para a melhoria constante do antiX.

Muito obrigado pelo antiX.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

Sorry I’m coming in after the fact on this. I think if antiX ever does offer an official libre spin, it will be a big hit among the Linux-libre and libreboot crowd. For the most part they are stuck with Trisquel, which mostly has old Ubuntu packages that are 3-4 years out of date, or Parabola, which is an Arch spin that tends to be pretty unstable and requires frequent fixing of breakage. antiX-libre would give them a stable, yet up to date option. The people who tried my libre respin raved about it.

Otherwise, I think you made the right choice on the base ISO. If you do an antiX-libre official spin, it should have desktop or window manager options, as the libre folks don’t tend to be up to speed on building up xorg and desktop options from a minimalist base.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

there exist recordable CDs with a nominal capacity of 800MB (and even 900MB

A copy of that post would be a great tips-n-tricks topic starter.

Could this even smaller configuration fit on a 700 MB CD?

The decision to forego the size restriction has already been announced, but this is question is one that you might “answer for yourself” by launching synaptic, view the list of installed packages (on the antiX21 Base version, after it has been released) and sort the listing by package size.

Bear in mind that some of the items mentioned in your post (TIM, menu manager) may be TINY (a few kilobytes each) and might be bundled within, for example, “antix-goodies” package (in other words: not individually un-installable and absent from the synaptic listing).

While experimenting, after an operation within synaptic in which you have chosen to remove one or several packages, exit synaptic and perform cleanup via “sudo apt autoremove”. By using iso-snapshot repeatedly during your experimentation, you can gauge “how much smaller is the resulting ISO” compared to its size prior to removing any packages. (Be sure to create a baseline ISO file prior to any removals, for later comparison. Also, ensure that the iso-snapshot compression setting remains the same for each test.)

When you have reach the goal size, followup to post your curated list of package removals and additions (lighter replacements).
    From your list, we can create an “unofficial” respin ISO (for upload to the gitlab “antiX-contribs” repo?)

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

there exist recordable CDs with a nominal capacity of 800MB (and even 900MB

A lot of burners will not work reliably with either overburn or special disks
    so unfortunately not a universal solution.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.