antiX-21-beta2 iso files available.

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-21-beta2 iso files available.

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 125 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Oct 13-10:10 pm by bunkbail.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

We have 2 versions for experienced users to try. These iso files default to using SysVinit.

antiX-21-b2-x64-full and antiX-21-b2-386-full are beta quality releases for experienced testers of antiX to test and provide feedback before final release.
    Do not use this as your main OS, though it *might* be possible to upgrade to final (no promises).

* customized antiX 4.9.0-279 and 5.10.57 kernels on the 64 bit live iso. Please try both in your tests.
    * customized antiX 4.9.0-279-486-non-pae kernel on the 32 bit live iso. (pae versions available in the repos)
    * grub/UEFI live boot changes. Select live boot options (persistence, etc…) from the boot menu and sub menus rather than using the previous console menus. Please check localisation.
    * New installer partition selection area, including some lvm support if lvm volume exists.
    * no virtualbox-guest packages so best to test on real hardware – live, frugal or installed.
    * added mesa vulkan drivers
    * improved localisation of apps and live system

BIG NEWS!

We now include 2 (forked) in house apps provided by antiX user skidoo. (Many thanks).
    * zzzFM replaces SpaceFM
    * slimski replaces slim login manager.

Please post any feedback at antiX forums and state if you are testing live, frugal, in a virtual machine or on bare metal. We are particularly interested in testing the new UEFI live system boot menus as well as testing the installer. Virtualbox testing is welcome, but we are mainly looking for issues on real hardware(if any).

Files here:Testing

Known issue(s):

* libreoffice complains about missing java, but it still works ok.
    * zzzFM mime defaults not consistent with rox eg audio/pdf files open with mpv/libreoffice rather than xmms/qpdfview

I’d like to get some feedback on the following for both 32 and 64 bit versions:

* persistence and remastering both in English and localised running live (frugal or from usb device)
    * general localisation of menus, apps (live or installed)
    * iso-snapshot in English and localised – does the new snapshot boot (on metal and in a virtual environment)? What about the boot menus?
    * is Repo-manager working properly now?
    * are there any apps that fail to install via package installer?
    * are there any pre-installed apps that fail to open from menus, control centre?
    * are there any pre-installed apps that open, but crash don’t seem to work?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added another issue
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by anticapitalista. Reason: Added areas for feedback

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

In the little time I have been testing, seems solid.
    I forgot to send the merge request with the live desktop selection of herbstluft in grub menus. I have now sent the merge request to iso-template and gfxboot (though the important one will probably be in the build-iso).

Reported in last beta, the issue of launching file manager from browser (or others) launching search is fixed. With the recent change now it will open desktop-defaults-follow-fm (though it always opens in rox), so at least the annoying problem is gone.

Changing repos, updating, etc. seems to work as expected.

Thanks for the great work. Tomorrow I should have a bit more time to check other differences between b1 and b2 (apart from the sated in the post).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

AntiX-B2-32-bit:

Also, I could not find the old windows wireless drivers program (ndisgtk) on this antiX 21-b2 system. I also tried to install it by the following, but was not successful:
    $ sudo apt install ndisgtk
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree… Done
    Reading state information… Done
    E: Unable to locate package ndisgtk

How do I install ndisgtk?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by calciumsodium.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by calciumsodium.
    christophe
    Helpful
    Up

32-bit. live-usb.

Noticed that the Tab+left-click no longer allows one to grab & move a window. (Was a handy way to move & fix over-sized windows.)

Also, on fluxbox toolbar – left click on “workspace” used to move us to prev workspace, and right click used to move us to next workspace – but no longer. Instead we get a toolbar settings menu. (Old way was nicer, I think.)

It appears that the new, improved herbstluftwm config has been replaced by the older version. (Probably just an oversight – the new one is incredible, so I hope you keep it in. I did archive it for my own use, just in case.) 😉

Otherwise, so far, everything is running pretty sweet!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

kodi 19.1 crashes when I try to run it.

C’mon, don’t start (again) polluting the betatesting topic.
    The betatesting topic should not be distracted by discussion of myriad (40,000) possible packages installable from debian repos.

How do I install ndisgtk?

You (we) cannot.
    This debian-maintained package (along with its intermediate dependent packages)
    was dropped from debian bullseye due to debian’s decision to cease supporting python2 -dependent (and gtk2 -dependent) programs.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by skidoo.
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

libreoffice complains about missing java, but it still works ok.

You can get oracle java here https://java.com/en/download/ Was unable to get other java packages to work.
    Download then unpack the tarball. Move the unpacked files to usr/share/java
    simplest with file manager as root.
    Point LO to the package in writer options extended.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

All live menus in UEFI are still the old ones (Space-xxx), so I will also replace them in iso-template and gfxboot in a bit.

Noticed that the Tab+left-click no longer allows one to grab & move a window. (Was a handy way to move & fix over-sized windows.)

Also, on fluxbox toolbar – left click on “workspace” used to move us to prev workspace, and right click used to move us to next workspace – but no longer. Instead we get a toolbar settings menu. (Old way was nicer, I think.)

Maybe I am confused, but I thought the Alt+click was the default for moving and resizing (except in herbstluft, where it is Meta+click, which I prefer).
    Also, on fluxbox, I think the mouse wheel is used to switch between workspaces (on the toolbar).
    I think you are confusing it with a different WM.

Also, I could not find the old windows wireless drivers program (ndisgtk)

As skidoo mentioned, all ndiswrapper packages have been removed from Debian bullseye. They were old and would not build for the newer 5.X kernels (I think), so they were disposed of.

I will be sending a merge request to add menu-manager to Personal Menu and replace the “Personal Menu Help Video” streamlight exec command to instead launch the youtube video with mpv.

* zzzFM mime defaults not consistent with rox eg audio/pdf files open with mpv/libreoffice rather than xmms/qpdfview

Should I take a look at desktop-defaults-rox-antix, but it seems that ~/.local/share/mime is missing in amd64 version.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

desktop-defaults-rox-antix is ok: the problem is with mime.types for zzzfm.
    I would like zzzfm defaults to be the same as rox eg audio files open xmms not mpv

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

christophe wrote:

Yes, that was a bone-headed typo! I really meant alt+left-click isn’t working.
    I was using fluxbox, and using a small screen; sometimes buttons could not be accessed…

And the fluxbox left-click on antiX 19.x gives a prev-workspace move, and a right-click gives next-workspace. This is when you click on the word “workspace alpha” (or whatever you have named it).

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Live instance:

inxi -Fxz
    System:
      Kernel: 4.9.0-279-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
      v: 10.2.1 Desktop: IceWM 2.7.0 
      Distro: antiX-21-b2_x64-full Grup Yorum 6 September 2021 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
    Machine:
      Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: 01 serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: A04 
      date: 08/06/2015 
    Battery:
      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 33.9 Wh (100.0%) condition: 33.9/41.4 Wh (81.7%) 
      volts: 16.5 min: 14.8 model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 status: Full 
    CPU:
      Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-5500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
      arch: Broadwell rev: 4 cache: L2: 4 MiB 
      flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
      bogomips: 19156 
      Speed: 2402 MHz min/max: 500/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2402 2: 2401 
      3: 2400 4: 2400 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel 
      bus-ID: 00:02.0 
      Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell driver: N/A 
      bus-ID: 08:00.0 
      Device-3: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
      bus-ID: 2-5:6 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting 
      unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.5 
      direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel 
      v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0 
      Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell 
      driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
      Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k4.9.0-279-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes 
    Network:
      Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 
      bus-ID: 06:00.0 
      IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell 
      driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 07:00.0 
      IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Bluetooth:
      Device-1: Intel type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 2-6:7 
      Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: stopped 
      rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 960.15 GiB used: 1.35 GiB (0.1%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB 
      size: 931.51 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra size: 28.64 GiB 
    Swap:
      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 7.91 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) 
      dev: /dev/sda2 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: 25.0 C sodimm: SODIMM C 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3200 
    Info:
      Processes: 165 Uptime: 2m Memory: 7.77 GiB used: 738.3 MiB (9.3%) 
      Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 1569 
      Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.06 

Brian Masinick

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

just downloaded the 32-bit will check it out tonight/tomorrow on
    a few old laptops. a compaq 2200 and a hp-zv5000
    one is intel video the othe ati radeon.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

I just verified that the alt+left-click is not working to move windows, on a second machine. (32-bit usb).

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello everybody.

The tests I did were using the ISO “antiX-21-b2_x64-full.iso” on a USB device prepared with Ventoy. Unfortunately, I won’t have the time available to do the amount of tests I’d like to do, so I’ll leave my general impressions here, the ones my eyes can easily see.

It was possible to boot normally in pt-BR language, the ISO boot menus are OK, both the first level of choice of language and kernel that will be started, as well as the second level menu, both have the texts I entered in Transifex.

The ISO “antiX-21-b2_x64-full.iso” was initialized with the modern kernel and the Rox-IceWM desktop, connected to the internet via cable, the RAM memory consumption:

155 MB displayed on Conky
    141 MB displayed in Terminal with free -m command
    196 MB displayed in Terminal with htop command
    139 MB displayed in Task Manager

A small but very important detail, removing the file manager as root from the toolbar, unfortunately, in this case is the safest action to do, particularly I always removed this shortcut so the end user would not risk destroying the your system unintentionally.

I switched between the other desktops and didn’t notice any problems.

I managed to notice that the texts displayed in the first level menu are updated/corrected in pt-BR (I thank you for accepting them anti-capitalist). I’ve been looking at the menus, some .desktop files I sent you didn’t make it into the ISO (it’s my fault I sent it in several parts, I can send you again):
    ds-other-desktops.desktop
    alsamixer.desktop
    speaker-test.desktop

Can I send you the .desktop files that don’t have proper pt-BR texts?
    lxappearance.desktop
    sysv-rc-conf.desktop

Please consider including the AppSelect translations available at https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs/dashboard/

Can I send you the screenshots of control panel items that do not yet have entries in Transifex and therefore are not translated in Control Panel?

I went to Control Center > Session > Login Manager (this is not translated to “Gerenciador de Início de Sessão”), opened the password prompt box and the program opened normally. The “Login Manager” program now starts with the click on the menu, as well as via the Control Center, the user’s password has been requested and both.

I tested some of the slimski themes, the slimski and slimski theme output delay is much smaller compared to ISO “antiX-21-b1_x64-full.iso”.

The “Toobar Icon Manager” for now is the version where the icon list doesn’t “see” the 4-letter languages ​​of the “.desktop” files. The solution should be https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/toolbar-icon-manager-for-icewm-altered-version/ in the PPC revision of the code.

Personal Menu > Personal Menu Help Videos:
    Displays the message:
    “Streamlight
    Livestreamer reported an error. See log for details

I hope everyone can understand my text correctly and my intention is to help, as you know my texts are automatic translations from the internet translator.

Thank you very much.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

– – – – –

Olá a todos.

Os testes que eu fiz foram utilizando a ISO “antiX-21-b2_x64-full.iso” em um dispositivo USB preparado com o Ventoy. Infelizmente, eu não terei tempo disponível para fazer a quantidade de testes que eu gostaria de fazer, por isso deixarei aqui as minhas impressões gerais, aquelas que os meus olhos conseguem ver facilmente.

Foi possível iniciar normalmente em idioma pt-BR, os menus de inicialização da ISO estão OK, tanto o nível primeiro de escolha do idioma e do kernel que será iniciado, quanto ao menu do segundo nível, ambos estão com os textos que eu inseri no Transifex.

A ISO “antiX-21-b2_x64-full.iso” foi inicializada com o kernel moderno e a área de trabalho Rox-IceWM, conectado na internet via cabo, o consumo de memória RAM:

155 MB exibido no Conky
    141 MB exibido no Terminal com o comando free -m
    196 MB exibido no Terminal com o comando htop
    139 MB exibido no Gerenciador de Tarefas

Um pequeno detalhe, mas muito importante, a retirada do gerenciador de arquivos como root da barra de ferramentas, infelizmente, neste caso é ação mais segura a se fazer, particularmente eu sempre removia este atalho para o usuário final não correr o risco de destruir o seu sistema sem querer.

Eu alternei entre as outras áreas de trabalho e não percebi qualquer tipo de problemas.

Eu consegui observar que os textos exibidos no menu do primeiro nível estão atualizados/corrigidos em pt-BR (eu agradeço por aceitá-los anticapitalista). Eu estive olhando para os menus, alguns arquivos .desktop que eu te enviei não entraram na ISO (a culpa é minha por ter enviado em várias partes, eu posso te enviar novamente):
    ds-other-desktops.desktop
    alsamixer.desktop
    speaker-test.desktop

Eu posso te enviar, os arquivos .desktop que não possuem textos em pt-BR adequados?
    lxappearance.desktop
    sysv-rc-conf.desktop

Por favor, considere incluir a traduções do AppSelect disponíveis em https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs/dashboard/

Eu posso te enviar as imagens dos itens do painel de controle que ainda não possuem entradas no Transifex e que por isso não estão traduzidas no Painel de Controle?

Eu acessei o Centro de Controle > Sessão > Login Manager (não está traduzido para “Gerenciador de Início de Sessão”), abriu a caixa de solicitação de senha e o programa abriu normalmente. O programa “Gerenciador de Início de Sessão” agora inicia com o clique no menu, bem como através do Centro de Controle, a senha do usuário foi solicitada e ambos.

Testei alguns dos temas do slimski, o atraso na saída do slimski e do tema do slimski está bem menor se comparado a ISO “antiX-21-b1_x64-full.iso”.

O “Toobar Icon Manager” por enquanto é a versão que a lista de ícones não “enxerga” os idiomas de 4 letras dos arquivos “.desktop”. A solução deve estar https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/toolbar-icon-manager-for-icewm-altered-version/ na revisão que o PPC fez do código.

Menu Pessoal > Vídeos de Ajuda do Menu Pessoal:
    Exibe a mensagem:
    “Streamlight
    Livestreamer reported an error. See log for detais

Eu espero que todos consigam compreender corretamente o meu texto e a minha intenção que é de ajudar, como sabem os meus textos são traduções automáticas do tradutor da internet.

Muito obrigado.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Moved now in testing thread

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Installed instance, now running the V5 series kernel:

inxi -Fxz
    System:    Kernel: 5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: IceWM 2.7.0 
               Distro: antiX-21-b2_x64-full Grup Yorum 6 September 2021 base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
    Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558o v: 01 serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: A04 date: 08/06/2015 
    Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 33.9 Wh (100.0%) condition: 33.9/41.4 Wh (81.7%) volts: 16.5 min: 14.8 
               model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 status: Full 
    CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-5500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Broadwell rev: 4 cache: L2: 4 MiB 
               flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19157 
               Speed: 2396 MHz min/max: 500/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2396 2: 2400 3: 2399 4: 2395 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 
               Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus-ID: 08:00.0 
               Device-3: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 2-5:3 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.5 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0 
               Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
               Device-3: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 08:00.1 
               Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.57-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes 
    Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 bus-ID: 06:00.0 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
               Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 
               bus-ID: 07:00.0 
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Bluetooth: Device-1: Intel type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8 bus-ID: 2-6:4 
               Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: running rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes 
               address: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 12.36 GiB (1.3%) 
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB size: 931.51 GiB 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 97.87 GiB used: 12.36 GiB (12.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda11 
    Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 7.91 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda2 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0 C mobo: 25.0 C sodimm: SODIMM C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2200 
    Info:      Processes: 147 Uptime: 25m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 553.6 MiB (7.0%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
               gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 1575 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.06 

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.