antiX-21-beta2 iso files available.

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-21-beta2 iso files available.

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 125 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Oct 13-10:10 pm by bunkbail.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve been able to switch window managers, file managers, and kernels without any problems in the sysvinit implementation.

In the every day apps that I use, no problems. I’ll have to poke around to find problems, so the good news is, whether problems or not, there’s a lot that works fine.

Brian Masinick

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

As previously reported by marcelocripe and others, the “Personal Video Help Video” isn’t launching properly. Should the command be replaced to launch with mpv instead of using streamlight?
    mpv 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuTtjF6zS0'
    Should there also be an entry there for Menu Manager, to make it easier to manage the menus? (it at least makes sense to me)

I would like zzzfm defaults to be the same as rox eg audio files open xmms not mpv

Sent a merge request to zzzfm defaults, with the original mimeapps.list used by spacefm defaults. This should set them as default for zzzfm.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I installed 21b2 on two bare metal computers today. One the first one I chose the “Legacy” kernel when booting the Live USB. But I noticed that after it was installed I had the 5.10.* kernel installed. It’s okay on that system since it’s only about 10 years old, a Core2 Duo with 4GB of RAM and the 5.10.* kernel seems to work okay. But I have a few older machines I want to put a21 on and I want to use the Legacy 4.9.* series. I’m not sure how I can get the 4.9.* series to isntall instead of the 5.10.* series since I think the installer uses the latest kernel it finds for the install.

On the second machine I also chose the Legacy at Live USB and after install I had the 5.10.*. I rebooted into the 4.9.* kernel using the “Advanced” choice from the grub menu. I used Synaptic to remove the 5.10.* series kernel package and updated the grub to remove the 5.10.* entry. I then rebooted and booted into the 4.9.* series from grub.

I figured the 4.9.* series would use a little less memory at startup and on these old computers I don’t need anything beyond 4.19.*. I guess I will have to update the iso to have only the 4.9.* series kernel image before I try to install to my ancient Pentium-III and Pentium-4’s.

I got the initial idle memory to be about 110M on the Conkey. But weirdly, the reported RAM used in inxi says over 311M. Htop and free are both closer to the Conkey measure, between 130 and 150. I’m not sure why the inxi number is so much higher.

Other than these two issues I have not seen any difference in how antiX-21 works. I did notice that when I ran Chrome on a Watch ESPN stream today (US Open Tennis match) that the CPU use was a lot lower than in MX-19 and the memory use is also a little lower. So, it seems Bullseye is pretty good on these old machines.

Seaken64

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

It was little weird when using F1 to select the session at the Slimski screen to see zzz-icewm. I guess if you don’t know antiX you should just use the default rox-icewm and then look around to find out what zzz is. I figured it was the spacefm replacement but I wasn’t sure. But I guess that’s true of most of the choices if you haven’t used antiX before. So, it’s all good.

Seaken64

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Can I send you the .desktop files that don’t have proper pt-BR texts?
    lxappearance.desktop
    sysv-rc-conf.desktop

The .desktop files for both of these are installed by packages provided by Debian (not antiX).
    Therefore, they are subject to being overwritten during package upgrade operations
    and (I checked) both of those packages will be upgraded to a newer package version for anyone upgrading a system from buster to bullseye.

The custom (or missing) .desktop files could be injected during late-stage of the build-iso operation, following package installation.
    They would probably remain undisturbed ~~ historically, updates to the lxappearance and sysv-rc-conf packages have seldom been issued.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

sysv-rc-conf.desktop

this is probably the only one that can be changed, coming from desktop-session-antix package. The funny thing is that the script that it launches comes from the control-centre-antix package.

@marcelocripe, send me the corrected names for the .desktop and I will move the launcher and script to a different package (once I get approval from anticapitalista).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I’d like to get some feedback on the following for both 32 and 64 bit versions:

* persistence and remastering both in English and localised running live (frugal or from usb device)
    * general localisation of menus, apps (live or installed)
    * iso-snapshot in English and localised – does the new snapshot boot (on metal and in a virtual environment)? What about the boot menus?
    * is Repo-manager working properly now?
    * are there any apps that fail to install via package installer?
    * are there any pre-installed apps that fail to open from menus, control centre?
    * are there any pre-installed apps that open, but crash don’t seem to work?

Thanks.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

32-bit live-usb.
    persistence & remaster working perfectly. english.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I set up persistence on 64-bit; will revisit and try it out, and also try remastering.
    I’ll check the package installer too. I believe that I did actually use it with both the runit and sysvinit builds, but I’ll try to look at a few of the areas that were acting up.

I definitely did some things with galternatives and they now are working perfectly.
    I’ll also verify the repo manager; did not notice problems with any of them but I’ll explicitly revisit each previous problem area on 64- bit systems and verify functionality.

More to come after my next round of tests.

Brian Masinick

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

32-bit. usb.
    Package Installer would not install the Opera browser.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I guess I will have to update the iso to have only the 4.9.* series kernel image before I try to install to my ancient Pentium-III and Pentium-4’s.

Seaken64

No, I re-read the Blog and I now realize that this will not be an issue for the 32-bit version. The 32-bit version only has the Legacy kernel.

Never mind.

Seaken64

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

probably the only one that can be changed

clarification: my suggestion was to inject them during the build-iso process @ Stage 4 (“within the chroot”), Step 15 (“Manual configuration”)

a copy of any desired additional, or modified, files can be placed into the build-iso source tree, along with a reference to their target path within the Build-iso/Input/live-files.list manifest.

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

32-bit. live-usb.

A problem with cli-aptiX:

I can run sudo apt update in a terminal, and get a successful result.
    But then I immediately run cli-aptiX, and it says there is at least one list file missing & offers to re-run apt-get update, continuously.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by christophe.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

32-bit Live & Frugal

I setup a persistent LiveUSB with P_static_root. I installed Audacious from Package Installer. I reset the screen resolution and edited the startup file. Then remastered. No problems at all. This was all done on my i3 Lenovo laptop.

Then I used the same Live USB to install as a frugal install on my old Compaq Pentium-III. After updating the grub config I was able to boot to the antiX21b2 frugal install with no problem. I added my user and logged out and in. I disabled some startup programs I don’t use and set the desktop to IceWM. The initial idle RAM after boot is about 65M. Everything is working good so far. I will install some more programs and remaster. (I had to shut down due to a thunder storm). But all the features I use on my old computer are working good. I will also try a full install to the bare metal and then try a snapshot.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by seaken64.
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Done a lot of remasters with 64 bit runit Live. No Issues. I remaster after all major changes to get max boot speed.
    no use of persistence, save to USB live storage or more usual to internal drive. Often other stick, camera memory phone
    external drive, all fine.

German/English.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.