antiX 21 DWM Respin

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antiX 21 DWM Respin

Tagged: 

• This topic has 26 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Oct 15-8:12 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    techore

Not sure if my build qualifies as a respin but I am roughly 95% complete.

Based on antix-core using runit init with dwm-flexipatch, dwmblocks, statuscmd, slock-flexipatch, rofi, etc.

Brian Masinick

Looks like a legitimate respin to me. This is precisely why we have Net, Core, and Base variations in addition to our Full edition; we provide the tools so that people like you can freely fine tune and select the packages and appearance that you choose that works well for your specific tastes, preferences and requirements.

Glad you created something you like; thank you for sharing this with us!

--
        Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Not sure if my build qualifies as a respin but I am roughly 95% complete.
          Based on antix-core using runit init with dwm-flexipatch, dwmblocks, statuscmd, slock-flexipatch, rofi, etc.

Very nice accomplishment!
          I am running DWM (in addition to JWM) on antiX 21 runit, but my DWM is compiled with just basics in Config, not such sophisticated composition…
          Yours might be a good lesson to me to follow…
          Thank you.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

andyprough

I look forward to trying it when you share it. I spend most of my time in dwm or herbstluftwm, but you are using some things like dwmblocks that I’m not familiar with.

Also, it would be nice if you would write a how-to on building up from antiX Core to use dwm in a minimal antiX configuration. I’ve built up dwm on top of minimal Void and minimal Artix, but not on top of antiX Core.

techore

I will get the detailed instructions and dotfiles published. Consider it an initial draft for there are a list of items to still complete or correct.

@andyprough, you should be able to extract from my instructions what you need. If not, I will revise based on your feedback.

I’ll update this post once the git repos are populated.

andyprough

Ahh, you are awesome @techore, really looking forward to it.

techore

@andyprough and @olsztyn

I have published my initial guide on gitlab.com. It’s mostly complete. I will get the related dot files into a repo next week and update this thread with the URL.

http://gitlab.com/techore/antix-dwm-guide

techore

The dotfiles are published at:

http://gitlab.com/techore/antix-dwm-dotfiles

Feedback is apprecicated.

Brian Masinick

@techore: Nice job! I looked through several pages (though not the entire document), and also inspected a couple of the dotfiles.

As far as I’m concerned, this is an EXCELLENT effort. While I probably won’t be using it myself since I no longer need to dig and experiment as a retired software engineer, I can certainly comment on what I did observe; this has the appearance of a very nicely done development project; complete, properly explained, documented, right down to the specific packages and configuration files.

For anyone who DOES want to try out a DWM respin, I’m confident that this will put them there. Since this is also a project for the intermediate to experienced individual or to someone starting out who is willing to put in the work reading, downloading, updating configurations, and so forth, your work provides everything needed, even if someone wants to modify it to suit their specific preferences. I’m positively impressed with the work, enough that I *might* still be tempted to try it out; congratulations!

--
                      Brian Masinick

andyprough

Ahhh, I see where I messed up with antiX Core in the past, I was trying to deal with Xwrapper.config much later in the process.

This is very nice, I especially like your extensive nord color theme, I can try that right away.

antiX’s desktop versions use yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl – it’s a better performing package overall in my experience. You can install it with a simple ‘apt install’ command I think, and then I think you’ll want to make sure it’s linked to /usr/bin/youtube-dl so that mpv knows to use it.

I don’t know if antix’s packageinstaller is part of the antiX Core install, but I would recommend using it if possible, as it will save you a lot of time when you get to installing the office programs and web browsers and media programs and 3rd party programs, and it has customized configs to make sure the programs run as well as possible in an antiX environment. If it’s not already installed, it should be just ‘sudo apt install packageinstaller’, and start it from within DWM with ‘sudo packageinstaller’.

The dot files look pretty cool, I’ll have to try some things out, especially your brightness control and volume control, for starters.

blur13

You had me at “File manager: nnn, Music player: cmus”, I’ll def give this a try. Nice job! And Andy is right about yt-dlp. I usually sudo cp /usr/bin/yt-dlp /usr/bin/youtube-dl to get it working with MPV, although a symbolic link might be more elegant. Adding “script-opts-append=ytdl_hook-ytdl_path=yt-dlp” in the mpv config file is supposed to work but it didnt work for me.

techore

@masinick, I feel my work has been validated 🙂 and feels great to hear your observations. Thank you!

@andyprough:

I thrashed a bit on Xwrapper.config, too. Glad I could be of help.

I especially like your extensive nord color theme.

The theming is incomplete! I will be updating both git repos as I hit specific applications. Also, I love the nord themes, but I may be updating it with a darker background, e.g. near black, due to my fading eyesight. I will try to note all deviations so it can be easily changed back to reflect http://github.com/arcticicestudio/ theme.

Hmm.. I am thinking the nord theme and its implementations warrants its own article. Give me a couple weeks.

use yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl – it’s a better performing package

I will take a look at yt-dlp. Not married to youtube-dl but it was what I have used.

@blur13:

I love cmus, too. nnn is growing on me though I find myself wanting to gravitate back to ranger. I need to spend more time with nnn.

techore

Created todo list. Added your recommendations. Thank you, guys.

http://gitlab.com/techore/antix-dwm-guide/-/blob/main/docs/todo.md

andyprough

nnn is growing on me though I find myself wanting to gravitate back to ranger. I need to spend more time with nnn.

After many, many years of procrastinating, I’m finally using ranger this year and falling in love with it. Maybe I’ll go cli-file-manager-hopping myself and try nnn and some of these others one of these days. For now, every time I find a new feature or shortcut in ranger I’m excited like a little kid opening Christmas gifts.

techore

@andyprough, authored article on implementing the nord theme to the respin. It’s mostly complete, but need to update dotfiles–gitlab appears to reserve “plugins” so it is resulting in some interesting behavior on a ‘git pull’.

Ignore the first two images for I broke the status bar testing. The last two images are correct.

How do you delete an post attachment?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by techore.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.