antiX 21 DWM Respin

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antiX 21 DWM Respin

Tagged: 

• This topic has 23 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Sep 25-3:44 pm by techore.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    xyzap
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

looking forward for an iso of your dwm respin

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I took another peek at this today. Whether you consider this work “done” or not, the documentation is well done, and in my opinion anyone who wants to either grab what you have and use it, or possibly start with it and then add or modify to put their own personality into it, this is a more complete work than some of the distributions out there; in any case, it’s well documented.

Further congratulations on what you’ve accomplished; whether you use it, 5 people use it, 5,000, or 50,000 use it is not the point.
    What’s cool is that you did what you like, built upon the solid antiX foundation and made something unique, not quite like anything else.
    Though I may not use it, I just may burn a USB Flash Drive of an ISO image; it’d be an honor to try it out even if it’s not part of my every day stable of software. I’m favorably impressed once again!

Brian Masinick

techore
    Helpful
    Up

@xyzap and @masinick, since my original post I have 65 changes completed and 15 changes outstanding. Right now I am working to achieve a consistent feel and look with gtk2/3 and qt5. Almost got it! Just need to figure out why icons are small for some applications (and not for others).

What a rabbit hole! but I am loving it.

As far as providing an ISO, what would that entail?

I am familiar with using dd to create a image of a USB flash drive, but suspect that is not what you mean. Point me to a tutorial or wiki and recommend an upload location. I don’t see why I cannot share though I do want to complete the outstanding changes first.

I do need to automate the installation. It is getting increasingly complex.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

IF you have your image on antiX, you may be able to use the Remaster tool. MX Linux also has a similar tool in their MX Tools section and it’s called MXRemasterCC – it is a persistence and image remastering tool, and it’s capable of creating an ISO image; we have the similar tool.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

To learn more in general, there are some articles listed at this link:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=create+iso+in+linux&atb=v344-3&ia=web

For your purpose, I do think our remastering tool will do the job.

Brian Masinick

techore
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you, @masinick.

Another screenie!

Added the renamed scratchpad patch to the build. I was dubious on its usefulness, but after using scratchpads for a couple weeks in my workflows, I cannot imagine not having them now.

Such a simple idea but genius.

https://github.com/bakkeby/patches/wiki/renamedscratchpads

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Looks good!

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Techore,
    in the full antix version there is a tool called ISO snapshot which will
    enable you to create a bootable ISO image of your freshly created installed system.
    ISO snapshot is a binary not a script and located in /usr/bin. I have not investigated
    what it relies on to work, aka depends.

The remaster tool will only do just that, remaster a live system incorporating changes
    in to the Live USB and is good after major changes or updates. Keeps the system tidy and
    your boot time at optimum. Persistence is way slower.

There is a menu point in the remaster tool for cloning a running system. It has never
    worked over last couple of years. Possibly unfinished or overtaken by system changes.

techore
    Helpful
    Up

@Moddit, thank you.

ISO snapshot is something new for me to explore. Cool.

What kernel version would you all recommend for a balance between supporting older and newer hardware for the ISO? I am using the newest, myself, but..

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.