antiX-21 (Grup Yorum) released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-21 (Grup Yorum) released

• This topic has 66 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated Dec 15-7:17 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    chrispop

Congratulations on another excellent release!

I seed all the antiX (and MX Linux) torrents 24/7; will torrent files be made available for this version please?

For the moment they are here:antiX-21 torrents

Thanks to Tim (MX dev).

Thanks; will add them to my Raspberry Pi in the morning.

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

@roland ceni is still installed.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Wow, I was *slacking* over the weekend!

Nice work everyone! I’ll get my Full (regular) edition and my runit edition installed promptly.
          I’ve been testing them all along on my Dell Inspiron 5558 without any problems, so I am expecting similar results with the final edition once I’ve safely installed BOTH editions.

I’m hoping that one of the newer kernels will eventually help make it possible for me to also install antiX 21 on one of my newer pieces of hardware, an Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 (with NVME SSD); it hasn’t worked well with either antiX 19, antiX 21 test or any edition of MX Linux (except for the AV Linux MXE, which works with the AVL/MXE 19.4). IF it only works with the older hardware, I’m fine with it; siduction works GREAT with the Acer Aspire 5.

I’ll report periodically on my findings with my one piece of “newer” hardware; meanwhile, as always, I’m DELIGHTED with antiX with the 3-4 pieces of relic hardware on which I use it, and chiefly with the Dell Inspiron 5558.

I have the antiX 21 AMD64 Full version installed and the “basics” check out. I’m off to install the antiX 21 with runit, and I’ll provide a complete report on both once they are both installed and further tested.

Meanwhile, FULL std. edition boots fine from media and installs fine.

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

antiX-21-runit_x64-base.iso downloaded; I’ll try it live as soon as I load it onto USB, then install it.
            More detailed reports as soon as basic tests for the live and initial installations are complete.

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I’m happy to update that I have now installed both antiX 21 Full in AMD64 form and antiX-21-runit_x64-base.iso.
              I ran both live initially, used Package Installer to add the apps I am interested in, and then installed from that point.

Both installations installed the apps that I successfully installed live. I note, as reported, that we don’t have a few apps correctly implemented in Package Installer; that’s the only flaws that I confirmed; otherwise both images are quite successful and more than capable of performing routine activities, such as opening a Web Browser like this one and accessing the antiX Forum, using a Terminal and updating package cache and packages, and installing additional tools, applications, and customization.

As usual, antiX 21 is certainly able to do all of these things, and I’m sure that the few minor issues that we have discussed here can also be resolved in a reasonable period of time. As for me, I’m happy with BOTH the standard Full distro and the runit base implementation. Congratulations to all developers, testing participants, contributors, reviewers, and our helpful user community. Thanks; we know that our developers have done the “heavy hitting” – that is, the primary development work, but each of you who either suggested ideas, proposed or contributed to the work, or helped in any other way deserve a measure of credit as well. Great job; let’s keep checking out every feature and help to make continual helpful, constructive improvements.

--
              Brian Masinick

caprea

The new version is once again a step forward in usability and remains very resource efficient.
                AntiX has been my main operating system for years and I am very grateful that it is available, it has nothing comparable.
                Many thanks to the developers for sharing.

Brian Masinick

I’m back a second day with antiX runit edition, which I installed from the Base AMD64 edition.
                  So far, with the exception of the previously identified defects, everything is working great, and the minor issues do not interfere at all with my typical use cases. If I find anything else, I’ll report it in detail. GREAT WORK!

--
                  Brian Masinick

r_chase

A bit late for me, but congrats to those who worked really hard to get this out.

namida12

Seeding antiX 21 Full in AMD64 form and antiX-21-runit_x64-base.iso now…

Torrent files including runit
                      http://l2.mxrepo.com/torrents/

Thank you to everyone that worked on these releases…

I will open my empty pocket and donate when I get paid this month…

Again thanks to every one for all the work on this fine distro release…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by namida12. Reason: More info
                      • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by namida12.
                      blur13

Thank you for this release! I’m considering installing the runit version to see what all the hullabaloo is about. Anyone care to divulge the practical benefits of using runit? Is it faster? Faster in what sense? Just booting up?

Thanks once again for the number one linux distro!

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

Thank you for this release! I’m considering installing the runit version to see what all the hullabaloo is about. Anyone care to divulge the practical benefits of using runit? Is it faster? Faster in what sense? Just booting up?

Thanks once again for the number one linux distro!

I use the runit version, but it needs more ‘knowledge maintenance’ than sysVinit version.
                          Not a lot, just more.

I carried out some tests running live in Virtualbox between both inits and found runit to boot slightly faster (1 sec difference for both legacy and modern kernel).
                          RAM usage was slightly lower for sysVinit (1MB).

When installed and customised to suit your needs then IMO runit starts to perform better. Again, not a massive difference, but noticeable.

eg On my laptop, customised runit and herbstluftwm boot in less than 7 secs and uses c75MB RAM, while the same set up with sysVinit takes just under 10 secs and uses just under 80MB RAM.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

rek769

Greetings all. I am a recent Antix convert after having used Puppy for the past decade. I admin a bunch of MX users and began to enjoy the ease with which the system could be updated and packages installed (apt). Puppy makes that process harder….
                            Anyway, I grabbed the beta2 version of Antix21 back in the middle of October and now that the full release is available I’d much prefer to upgrade but apt update / apt dist-upgrade does not seem to upgrade me to the full, non-beta version. Is there anyway to upgrade from beta2 without a re-install?

PPC

Is there anyway to upgrade from beta2 without a re-install?

There is a way, but you’ll never quite get the “final” antiX 21 version unless you re-install…
                              Straight from anticapitalista’s “mouth”: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/64-bit-only-antix-21-runit-beta2-available-for-testing/page/17/#post-70308

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by PPC.
                              • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by PPC.
                              rek769

What would happen if I booted the final version (live with persistence) and then replace the persistence files it created with those I have from Beta2? If that is possible, I could then reinstall to hard drive while saving live changes and end up with the final version and all my changes intact…

Brian Masinick

What would happen if I booted the final version (live with persistence) and then replace the persistence files it created with those I have from Beta2? If that is possible, I could then reinstall to hard drive while saving live changes and end up with the final version and all my changes intact…

I’m a “risk taker”, so I like to try things out and find out the outcome.

The “best practices” for anyone who attempts such things is to always have multiple copies of everything, back up files, directories, systems, keep them on external media or “somewhere in the cloud” (or both); if you have a “spare system” to experiment with, that’s even better. The choice is ultimately yours. For me, I do it all the time, but as I said, I take risks, but I always have ways to replace, recover, fix, and even use different hardware. That makes all of the risks manageable.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.