antiX-21 (Grup Yorum) released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-21 (Grup Yorum) released

• This topic has 66 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated Dec 15-7:17 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    rek769

What would happen if I booted the final version (live with persistence) and then replace the persistence files it created with those I have from Beta2? If that is possible, I could then reinstall to hard drive while saving live changes and end up with the final version and all my changes intact…

I’m a “risk taker”, so I like to try things out and find out the outcome.

The “best practices” for anyone who attempts such things is to always have multiple copies of everything, back up files, directories, systems, keep them on external media or “somewhere in the cloud” (or both); if you have a “spare system” to experiment with, that’s even better. The choice is ultimately yours. For me, I do it all the time, but as I said, I take risks, but I always have ways to replace, recover, fix, and even use different hardware. That makes all of the risks manageable.

Yes, I would make a clone of my beta2 live USB so I still have everything there if something goes wrong…I like to experiment also…I will post back on how things go once I do it.

carbon

Before Antix-21 is loaded, I get this message: you need to load the kernel first.
        And i I have a new computer.

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Before Antix-21 is loaded, I get this message: you need to load the kernel first.

More details needed.
          Which version?
          How are you booting it?
          What app did you use to put antiX on a usb device (if that is the case)?
          Did you try Modern kernel option?

etc etc etc

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

What anticapitalista means is that, in order to get help you need to give more details. I’ll give you examples:
            -AntiX-21 has 32 bits and 64 bits versions. Has the main sysvi version and the runit version, and has core, full versions, etc… Tell the forum exactly what version you are trying to use
            – Before antiX is loaded… Loaded how? Using a live cd/dvd that you burned? A live pen drive that you “burned”? Any other device like a memorycard? Which device did you use, and exactly how did you put antiX’s iso on the disco/pen drive?
            – When do you get the message? Do you see the Grub menu? Do you make any selection in the menu if so?
            – etc…

P.

carbon

i download from the site antix 21 64bit full. from a usb. created with antix usb maker.

Did i try a Modern kernel option: do I have this choice??

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by carbon.
              PPC

Yes. If when you boot the usb pen drive, you get to see the grub menu the first two options should be:

Use Legacy Kernel
                 Use Moderm Kernel

P.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

i download from the site antix 21 64bit full. from a usb. created with antix usb maker.

Yes under Advanced > kernel options

Default is the legacy kernel.

Did you also check that the download was ok? (check md5 or sha)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Robin

This is great news. I have to admit, I’ve actually missed this important message. Was way to busy, head in translations etc. I didn’t follow recent posts and announcements in the forum last days, as so many times. So now I’m keen on seeing it running here, but will have to wait until my work allows to shut down the PC and restart it with 21.

So let me say simply thank you, anticapitalista and the antix development team for this really great achievement!

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Nokedli

Thanks to the developers! The old IBM THINKPAD R51 computer is usable again 🙂 (Intel Celeron M processor 1×1.6 GHz, 756 MB RAM, 37 GB HDD, made by 2005).
                      The 32 bit full version works perfectly. after installation it uses 79 MB of memory.

🙂 _/\_

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Nokedli.
                      seaken64

I have successfully installed antiX-21 Full 32-bit on this computer from the year 2000. It is a Pentium-III with 512MB of RAM. So far I cannot notice any issues and it works at least equal to antiX-19.4. I will continue to use this system for awhile and then I will make it my main OS for this old machine. It amazes me that I can still use this old relic with a modern OS in 2021.

Thank you to anticapitalista and the other members of the antiX team for making this antiX-21 available.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick

I got rid of my last two 32 bit systems. Before I did, antiX was among the few that still support 32 bit and work really well.

Welcome back Seaken64!

--
                          Brian Masinick

Anonymous

I’ve installed the 64-bit-core version using the default 4.9 kernel and runit init,
                            burned to cd-r disk and is up and running great so far. one note on core I didn’t
                            see mentioned is that the installer has an error that states ….

chroot: failed to run command 'sys-rc-conf' : no such file or directory

when trying to set the startup services.

Brian Masinick

Good catch @linuxdaddy:
                              Many people do not look at the logs.
                              I’m thankful that you did and shared your finding.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I’m back a second day with antiX run it edition, which I installed from the Base AMD64 edition.
                                So far, with the exception of the previously identified defects, everything is working great, and the minor issues do not interfere at all with my typical use cases. If I find anything else, I’ll report it in detail. GREAT WORK!

I’m back again with the antiX 21 runit edition and I’m very happy with it. Whether there are any remaining defects or not, for my simple use cases, which primarily involve Web browsing, terminal use with package and file management – on a pretty simple level – it’s been great. I’ve actually used the runit version more than the regular sysvinit instance so far, and in reality, it’s all that I need. When I did run the sysvinit version though, it too functioned quite well. I’ll go back and revisit it, but this may be my “workhorse” when I’m using the Dell Inspiron 5558 because it still works pretty well with this six year old system.

A tip of the hat to our brothers and sisters on the MX Linux project too. I also installed their software; like ours, it’s a work of art; not quite as “light” as ours, but it’s also a very nice balance between functionality (it’s really functionally complete) and it uses moderate resources considering it’s a full-featured system. Anyway, between antiX 21 Full sysvinit and antiX 21 Base runit editions, we have some winners, and our brethren also released some excellent software too!

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I also went back to antiX 21 Full sysvinit version and it is just as solid. I verified that I was able to add the fixed packages (that I am interested in using) and they work now too.

My runit instance with Base packaging is a little bit “leaner and meaner” but they’re both excellent.

Just for a quick comment I went to MX Linux “Wildflower” 21 and it’s also very nice. I used the MX Tweaks tool to tune up and clean up a few things and like our tools it also works very well.

Great distribution options from both teams!

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.