antiX-21-net-runit-sid_x64 with seatd – 3 problems encoutered

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders antiX-21-net-runit-sid_x64 with seatd – 3 problems encoutered

• This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jul 15-10:32 am by Xaver.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Xaver

Based on antiX-21-net-runit-sid_x64-net.iso I have built a small rescue system in VirtualBox.
    Windowmanager is Openbox with tint2, spacefm, udevil, lxdm – no elogind, polkitd, policykit-1 or gvfs.
    To my suprise using this simple system does not feel limited. Only the choice of software is a little limited. because of (often unnecessary) dependencies from policykit-1.

In VirtualBox the system is stable, fast, responsive and does not show any problems, except odd behavior at wakeup from suspend. Snapshots can be made with iso-snapshot and are bootable. So far I have encoutered 3 problems only:

(1) The iso-snapshots have access to the network, but not to the internet. The cause is simple: resolv.conf is missing. Instead there is a link to non existing /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
    If I create /etc/resolv.conf manually, internet is working fine.
    Does this problem happen because iso-snapshot is configured to work with sysvinit?

(2) sudo pm-suspend does work, but the system freezes on wakeup. Maybe runit services for X environment are needed, but unfortunately they cannot be installed (–>3).

(3) Further runit services cannot be installed.

(3a) runit-services-core-antix is in conflict with dbus:

root@antix1:~# apt install runit-services-core-antix
    [...]
    Unpacking runit-services-core-antix (0.1.9) ...
    dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/runit-services-core-antix_0.1.9_all.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite '/usr/share/runit/sv/dbus/check', which is also in package dbus 1.14.0-1.0nosystemd1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/runit-services-core-antix_0.1.9_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Turning dbus down does not help.
    Removing dbus does not lool like a good idea either

root@antix1:~# apt remove dbus
    [...]
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      dbus-system-bus-common libopenconnect5 libpcsclite1 libpskc0 libstoken1 libtomcrypt1 libtommath1 libtss2-esys-3.0.2-0
      libtss2-mu0 libtss2-sys1 libtss2-tcti-cmd0 libtss2-tcti-device0 libtss2-tcti-mssim0 libtss2-tcti-swtpm0 libtss2-tctildr0
      libxmlsec1 libxmlsec1-openssl python3-dbus tpm-udev
    Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      connman connman-gtk dbus smart-notifier upower
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Maybe the runit-services must be installed before dbus and other stuff.
    If that is the case I suggest to include all runit services in any antiX-runit-iso. These packages are so small anyhow. Not needed services can be turned down instead.

Is there a way to resolve this conflict?
    I am even unsure, if I need any further runit services. Except suspend the system is ok as it is.

(3b) runit-services-full-antix is going to remove cups. That is not as bad as dbus but still annoying.

root@antix1:~# apt install -s runit-services-full-antix
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      cups-core-drivers cups-daemon cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers cups-ipp-utils cups-server-common libfontembed1
      libpoppler-cpp0v5 libqpdf28 ssl-cert
    Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following additional packages will be installed:
      runit-services-base-antix runit-services-core-antix
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      cups printer-driver-cups-pdf
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      runit-services-base-antix runit-services-core-antix runit-services-full-antix
    0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Xaver.
    olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

(1) The iso-snapshots have access to the network, but not to the internet. The cause is simple: resolv.conf is missing. Instead there is a link to non existing /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
    If I create /etc/resolv.conf manually, internet is working fine.
    Does this problem happen because iso-snapshot is configured to work with sysvinit?
    (2) sudo pm-suspend does work, but the system freezes on wakeup. Maybe runit services for X environment are needed, but unfortunately they cannot be installed (–>3).

Just tested on my antiX 21 runit Live *elogind*-free, created from ISO-Snapshot image and I do not experience these issues. I am typing this post from such system and have no internet issues. resolv.conf is there, I did not need to manually create it.
    Also this system wakes up from suspend described above with no issue in my setup.
    However, I am not running SID version, just the mainstream antiX 21 runit with 5.10 kernel…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
    https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@Xaver – which version of dbus do you have installed?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xaver
    Helpful
    Up

@ anticapitalista

dbus/sid,now 1.14.0-1.0nosystemd1 amd64 – your latest version (up to date antiX sid)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Ok, do not install any runit-services-*-antix packages (except net) as all the runit service files are now in the respected apps

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I guess we should provide a runit service file for lxdm.

How well does connman work on your creation?

Xaver
    Helpful
    Up

Connman seems to be ok, no complains except, that resolv.conf is not created.

Installed on VirtualBox-HD lxdm works as it should.
    From the iso-snapshot shutdown and reboot logout to the console. I then have to halt as root.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I haven’t looked at snapshot on a net built upwards sid install. Another day.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    Helpful
    Up

It may be the live system is creating that symlink, although I would have though connman would work with it. is resolvconf installed on your creation?

Xaver
    Helpful
    Up

@ dolphin_oracle

Thank you!
    resolvconf was missing indeed. Now it is installed and domain names get resolved to IPs as they should.
    There is no dependency, recommendation or suggestion from connman to resolvconf. So I have missed it.

Xaver
    Helpful
    Up

So far problems (1) and (3) have been solved:
    (1) package ‘resolveconf’ was missing (see post #85326 and #85330)
    (3) further runit-services are not needed (see post #85258)

Problem (2) still exists: The system freezes on wakeup after suspend (booted live from usb).

I have noticed, that there is a nosystemd1-version of lightdm. I have installed it and indeed, the belonging runit services are installed too.
    Unfortunately with running lightdm service the system still freezes on wakeup after suspend.

Using the ligtdm runit service as blueprint I have created a runit service for lxdm as well.
    It does work fine, but I do not notice any diffence compared to having no service. Freeze still happens.

Lightdm seems to need polkit for reboot and shutdown. From lxdm reboot and shutdown work fine. So if the refined settings of lightdm are not needed, lxdm is the better (and lighter) choice.

.xinitrc
    I have checked, if login with .xinitrc would work better. Unfortunately I have failed to start the system this way.
    The openbox-desktop is loaded and looks as it should, but no keyboard or mouse input is possible.
    Could this hangup show a hint to the cause of the freeze on wakeup?
    Would I need a runit service for startx/.xinitrc too?

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Xaver.
    Xaver
    Helpful
    Up

Meanwhile I know that wake up from suspend is a task of the kernel.: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/faq

“I have put my computer into suspend or hibernate mode, but the computer is not waking up.

This was the subject of many bug reports. Please note that the power manager has nothing to do with these problems, since the kernel is responsible for these tasks. The kernel team is putting a lot of effort into fixing these kind of problems. However, if you still have problems please report a bug to your distributor and hopefully they can contact the kernel team and possibly provide a work-around.”

So far I have used the latest antiX kernel linux-image-5.10.104-antix.1-amd64-smp.
    It seems, that in sid this kernel does support suspend but not wake up from suspend.

By now I have tested some 5.18…. kernels instead:
    linux-image-5.18.0-2-amd64
    linux-image-5.18.0-2-rt-amd64
    linux-image-5.18.11-1-siduction-amd64
    All of them do fine on wake up from suspend.
    This feature is neccessary to implement a power management.
    Power management without policykit-1 is posseble i.e. by using dpms and sleepd.

For that I use the following commands in the autostart file:

xset dpms 0 0 120
    sleepd -s 'sudo pm-suspend' -u 660 -U 1260 -i 1 -E -v -b 10

By this the laptop monitor is turned off after being idle for 120 seconds. On battery suspend will be executed, if the laptop has been idle for 11 minutes. If AC is connected, suspend will habben after 21 minutes.

(On my Asus Pro B400VC this works fine on battery, but unfortunately does not work with AC connected, no matter of different sleepd settings. I have no idea why. But if I use the xfce4-power-manager [including policykit-1], there are no problems with AC connected).

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Xaver.
    Xaver
    Helpful
    Up

To make shure that elogind and polkitd do not get installed accidentelly as dependencies I have set up pins to prevent that:
    /etc/apt/preferences.d/00elogind and /etc/apt/preferences.d/00polkitd

00elogind

Package: *elogind*:any
    Pin: origin *
    Pin-Priority: -1

00polkitd

Package: *polkitd*:any
    Pin: origin *
    Pin-Priority: -1

Test i.e.: apt install backintime-qt –> unmet dependencies ––– it works.

But I would like to use backintime-qt – my favorite backup tool.
    So I have been searching for a solution and have discovered ‘equivs’.

Creating a policykit-1 DUMMY PACKAGE:
    With equivs you can create empty but installable dummy packages. All they do is to tell the system, that a certain package with a (preferably high) version number exists.

Using this instruction https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging/HackingDependencies
    I have created and installed a such a dummy package for policykit-1:
    policykit-1_9.9.9-9dummy_all.deb

Now backintime-qt can be installed without actually having policikt-1. It seems to work fine. Maybe there are a few limitations concerning network backups, which I do not use.

CONCLUSION
    I have started this system as an experiment: antiX21-sid-runit without elogind and polkitd.
    It turned out to become a fully functional desktop linux. The limitations are very nominal.

For a while I shall now use this system on a usb-stick for maintenance purposes and watch, if any conflicts will occur. Based on my 4 years experience with a antiX-sid I doubt, that severe problems will arise. But in case that there will be any, I shall post them here.

Now I plan to learn more about runit and then replace my well running antiX-sid-sysv with antiX-runit-polkitfree – maybe next fall or winter. Moreover I am curious, which changes antiX-22 will bring along.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.