antiX-21 release by end of October 2021

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-21 release by end of October 2021

• This topic has 102 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Oct 21-12:55 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Just a heads up to you all, especially translators and anyone developing apps/scripts for antiX.
    I’m hoping to release by the end of this month if all goes to plan.

There will probably be one more iso (Release candidate) just to make sure there are no last minute clangers/deal breakers.
    This version should be upgradable to final with just an apt update/upgrade
    Many thanks to all alpha and beta testers.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Thanks, anticapitalista.

I have been using the beta as my main driver and haven’t had any problems. Anything that can be added (except translations for currently installed apps) can wait for the next point release and are optional.

Thanks for the hard work!

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

I have a new 240 Kingston ssd sitting here waiting
    Thanks a bunch . Off to fight with our version of Home Depot.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

That will be a very nice Halloween candy, anticapitalista!
    Thanks for this great OS, that unlike other, only improves with age…

Suggestion – if it’s finished (I have not had the chance to test it) Xecure’s locale changer will look great in Control Centre – I’ve always thought that a nice GUI to change the OS default language would be a nice feature for multilingual users.
    I also have installed MX’s Package Installer that Skidoo once talked about here in the forum- I not it’s not a popular idea, but I think that making the entire Debian repository available in a Package Installer tab is a convenient way to have a one stop where users can install a great precentage of all existing applications- The (default) curated list an then everything else…- It’s more intuitive than having to use Package Installer + Synaptic.
    Other than that, I think that antiX 21 is perfect just the way it is- a almost perfect combination of lightness and features that is very hard to match.

P.

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

Alpha 1 is perfect
    Anticap is THE perfectionist
    It’ll be incredible.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the good news anticapitalista,

My heartfelt thanks to all who make antiX what it is, a small OS with more useful features and tools than
    the so called big players have even thought about.

Using runit beta releases as main os for months without any major issues.

Locale antiX thumbs up to that very useful idea, sure to be a help for our multi national, multi language users..

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I have been able to test on three laptop and one desktop system with excellent results.

After 15+ years of using antiX with a variety of desktop and laptop systems, I finally ran into the first hardware that doesn’t (for inexplicable reason) recognize either the newest MX Linux 21 beta or any version of antiX that I have tried.
    It’s an Acer Aspire 5 model A515-55. Other people who have the same model find that it works great on some OS and distributions and not with others.

I’ll tinker with it from time to time; meanwhile, everything else I have used works great and I have seen very few issues during my testing; all except hardware compatibility with the relatively new hardware have been expertly resolved. Looking forward to the release as always. Thank you for everyone who has participated in the development and testing.

Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you very much for letting us know the deadline.

Muito obrigado por nos informar o prazo previsto.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

I have been using the beta as my main driver

Same here.
    Just a minor issue resurfaced with the most recent antiX 21 B2 update, the same problem as discussed in https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-19-assessment-summary/#post-29145.
    Namely, affecting apparently only Chrome/Chromium users only on IceWM:
    Occasionally, especially soon after boot, clicking on drop-down menus does nothing. No action. Good test site for this is antixforum, where clicking on ‘Recent Posts’ or other drop-down menu items is being ignored on IceWM.
    Unlike in the past referenced thread (it was fixed then by anticapitalista), this behavior is not too frequent, but once starts (such as after fresh boot) it appears to continue until browser is restarted or session switched out of IceWM to a different desktop, after which it behaves normally.
    Environment: antiX 21 B2 Runit. Tested this behavior on several different models Thinkpads.
    Issue is not that important as it affects only Chrome/Chromium users I think, just as in the past thread. Hardly any antiX user is using Chrome or Chromium, after all, right?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by olsztyn.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I generally use either Palemoon, Firefox or Seamonkey with antiX; tried Opera; it kept failing so I went back to the others.

I might occasionally use another browser, but if one or two of them are quirky I simply use whatever runs smoothly; most of the time I either read Email or browse forums; similar use cases.

Brian Masinick

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

I use Brave but it burns a gig in a heartbeat
    No problem
    I found two 8 gb sticks of crucial in a dumpster while looking for some mustard
    No mustard
    I traded one stick for a gallon of Frenchies outside of Sams club
    I’m good for 3 years !

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Chrome/Chromium users only on IceWM

Only? As in, you tested its use under fluxbox or JWM and it the bug did not surface?

Rather than a specific window manager, I would expect the problem is triggered when a less-than-perfect GTK3 theme is active.
    Try launching via commandline + forcing a different GTK theme https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/640817/how-to-use-different-gtk-theme-in-chrome-and-system

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Only? As in, you tested its use under fluxbox or JWM and it the bug did not surface?
    Rather than a specific window manager, I would expect the problem is triggered when a less-than-perfect GTK3 theme is active.

You are right!
    I jumped to conclusion that this faulty behavior is only under IceWM on the base that switching session to another WM (even with such malfunctioning browser session open) fixes this issue… That my assumption was incorrect. In fact this behavior is even much worse under Fluxbox, just as in the past referenced above thread:
    – Booting fresh to IceWM: First start of browser results in not handling drop-down menu items (antixforum being test site). Such as click on ‘Recent Posts’ is ignored or ‘Register’ triggered. Restarting browser or switching session to another WM (even with the same browser session open) fixes this problem. You can even switch back to IceWM and problem is no longer there.
    – Booting fresh to Fluxbox: Faulty behavior persists through restarts of browser. Only switching session to another WM (even with the browser session open) fixes this issue. Switching back to Fluxbox session – issue gone as well.

So to confirm: It is not just IceWM but also Fluxbox and in fact much worse than IceWM…
    Just to point out again – this started happening after the latest antiX 21 B2 update.
    Thanks for correcting my interpretation of test results…

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Trying to setup Printing, Running Live Bullseye Runit.

sudo rm /etc/sv/cups/down
    sudo sv start cups
    gets cups service to properly start and I can connect over localhost 631 and select my printer and driver.
    cups does not start automaticaly after reboot.

Added 32 Bit compatibility, but not sure if any librarys needed.

Followed instructions from Brother USA website to install LPD and Cups wrapper drivers.
    Printer is MFC-J6700DW connected by USB.

Still unable to print. Cups error log

W [08/Oct/2021:09:40:16 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:40:16 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:40:16 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:40:16 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    E [08/Oct/2021:09:41:30 +0200] [CGI] ippfind (PID 18945) stopped with status 2!
    E [08/Oct/2021:09:41:30 +0200] [cups-deviced] PID 18928 (driverless) stopped with status 2!
    E [08/Oct/2021:09:41:59 +0200] [CGI] ippfind (PID 19250) stopped with status 2!
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:42:17 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:42:17 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:42:17 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    E [08/Oct/2021:09:42:48 +0200] [CGI] ippfind (PID 19881) stopped with status 2!
    E [08/Oct/2021:09:42:48 +0200] [cups-deviced] PID 19863 (driverless) stopped with status 2!
    E [08/Oct/2021:09:43:01 +0200] [CGI] ippfind (PID 20006) stopped with status 2!
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:43:07 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:43:07 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [08/Oct/2021:09:43:07 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files

Any ideas to fix issue very welcome. I can print without issue from antiX 19 SysV init installed system so the printer itself
    is still fine.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Trying to setup Printing, Running Live Bullseye Runit.

Can you use the gui for this?

sudo apt install runit-service-manager
    sudo runit-service-manager.sh

And enable and start cups there.

After starting cups, does printing work or you are saying printing doesn’t work only after rebooting?

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.