antiX-21 release by end of October 2021

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-21 release by end of October 2021

• This topic has 102 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Oct 21-12:55 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Thanks anticapitalista and xecure for the hints and assistance.

Regarding story, my laser printer was given to me because it does not work under windows 10,
    still the first toner so very few pages printed.
    The Brother MFC has always been somewhat involved to setup, if the cups error messages had been clearer
    I might have hit on missing or defective 32 bit lib support more quickly.

I was sure from the start that the issue was not to be blamed on antiX, thought it better in this thread
    as others may have same problem later.

Real life benifit of runit, for sure the boot time, it does seem somewhat easier to understand, still a lot to
    learn though.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by ModdIt.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

As Xecure says, sysvinit version is still the ‘flagship’ for antiX-21.
    sysvinit is still being updated. It is still as reliable as before.
    antiX-21 sysvinit version is now sysvinit 3 (built onto bullseye from upstream).

runit started out as a bit of an experiment in antiX-19.
    We got it working well and it is very stable (I’m typing this on my laptop with antiX-19 runit).
    runit in antiX-21 is completely different and a huge improvement.
    It is much closer to how it works in Void/Artix (and I think how it should really work on Debian).
    I’m very proud that we have managed to do this on a Debian base.
    The results (so far) suggest a fast, reliable and easy to configure system.
    I thank Xecure for all the help in tweaking runit on antiX and for the wonderful runit-service-manager app.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

watsoccurring
    Helpful
    Up

Big thanks the origin, to all educators (for their free-time and expertise) and an ever-growing team, of examples of “proof of the pudding” : apologies to translators.
    Freedom in this world is possible.

r_chase
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks. I usually backup the essential media stuff on to a USB, so I’ll do some of that as soon I possibly can this weekend.

On an unrelated note, I have a massive MP3 collection, mostly for personal listening. Yeah.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

regarding Remove disable=lxF from the live boot menu, maybe/probably I am doing that wrong.

Used control center tool to edit

#——————————————————————
    # file: /boot/grub/grub.cfg for the Live version of antiX
    #
    # This file can get updated automatically on a LiveUSB via the save
    # feature in the text menus. It is possible to break these updates
    # by editing this file.
    #——————————————————————

# kernels
    kernel_label_0=”Legacy”
    kernel_version_0=”4.9″
    kernel_label_1=”Modern”
    kernel_version_1=”5.10″

# load defaults
    if [ -s $prefix/config/defaults.cfg ]; then
    source $prefix/config/defaults.cfg
    fi

set timeout=60
    set gfxmode=1024×768
    set gfxpayload=”1680×1050;1600×900;1600×1200;1600×1050;1500×1000;1440×960;1440×900;1368×912;1366×768;1280×800;1280×720;1280×1024;1200×800;1024×768;auto”

set default=linux

menuentry ” antiX-21-b2-runit x64-full (21 August 2021)” “$kernel” “$initrd” “$kopts” –id=linux {

kernel=”$2″
    initrd=”$3″

shift 3
    # !I REMOVED disable=lxF here!
    linux /antiX/${kernel} quiet splasht $@
    initrd /antiX/${initrd}.gz
    }

#–custom menuentry ” “$”Custom” “$kernel” “$initrd” “$kopts” –id=custom {
    #–custom kernel=”$2″
    #–custom initrd=”$3″
    #–custom shift 3
    #–custom linux /antiX/${kernel} quiet splasht $@
    #–custom initrd /antiX/${initrd}.gz
    #–custom }

# menuentry ” antiX-21-b2-runit x64-full “$”Customize Boot (text menus)” “$kernel” “$initrd” “$kopts” –id=customize {
    # kernel=”$2″
    # initrd=”$3″
    # shift 3
    # linux /antiX/${kernel} quiet splasht disable=lxF menus $@
    # initrd /antiX/${initrd}.gz
    # }

# load boot menus
    #
    if [ -f $prefix/config/bootmenu.cfg ]; then
    source $prefix/config/bootmenu.cfg
    fi

if [ -f $prefix/theme/help.txt ]; then
    menuentry ” “$”Help” –hotkey=H {
    cat $prefix/theme/help.txt
    echo -n $”Press <Enter> to continue”” ”
    read xxx_help
    }
    fi

Try to do sudo update-grub and get following error

$ sudo update-grub
    /usr/sbin/grub-probe: Fehler: Kanonischer Pfad von »overlay« konnte nicht ermittelt werden.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I meant to remove that at the boot menu using the keyboard, then press F8 to save for subsequent reboots.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

I meant to remove that at the boot menu using the keyboard, then press F8 to save for subsequent reboots.

Thanks anticapitalista,
    just wondering if new users would do same as I did, the only available guinea pig went straight to controll center live tab as I had also assumed would be the place to go.

Probably not an issue as in general the system is installed rather than running the way I do, amazed at the portability I plug in my boot stick on other computers, boot and and get on with working.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

With the improvements in antiX Live system, the (GRUB) menu options no longer have to be changed in grub.cfg and are now stored in a separate file named grubenv.cfg
    This will work as long as you don’t create a separate Custom grub menu option.

I think this was a good idea to make it easier to change boot options outside the boot menus, as the file is small and easy to read and edit without any previous knowledge.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

With the improvements in antiX Live system, the (GRUB) menu options no longer have to be changed in grub.cfg and are now stored in a separate file named grubenv.cfg
    This will work as long as you don’t create a separate Custom grub menu option.

I think this was a good idea to make it easier to change boot options outside the boot menus, as the file is small and easy to read and edit without any previous knowledge.

I agree; good decision, nice job on the changes!

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

@xecure,

Thanks for explaining, maybe it would be good to point the controll center
    live version editing button to that file at some time in the near future.

Take a while for all the recent changes to become known and replace old habits.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Chrome/Chromium users only on IceWM
    Only? As in, you tested its use under fluxbox or JWM and it the bug did not surface?
    Rather than a specific window manager, I would expect the problem is triggered when a less-than-perfect GTK3 theme is active.

You are right!
    I jumped to conclusion that this faulty behavior is only under IceWM on the base that switching session to another WM (even with such malfunctioning browser session open) fixes this issue… That my assumption was incorrect. In fact this behavior is even much worse under Fluxbox, just as in the past referenced above thread:

@ skidoo:
    – I do not expect this issue to be fixed any time soon, as percentage of users affected is probably small, considering this behavior affect only Chrome/Chromium.
    – This issue seems quite manageable when using IceWM, as just restarting browser brings this behavior to order. On Fluxbox it does not solve the issue.

Would you have some hints how to fix this, even if there is an easy workaround with IceWM?
    Just to mention, in result of my subsequent testing it looks like this issue does not exists when booting to DWM or Herbstluftwm… So just IceWM (easy remedy) and Fluxbox (no remedy known to me)… I admit I did not test JWM yet…
    Thanks and Regards…

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Regarding the misbehavior involving menu selection and Gtk3, if you use the default configuration, this does not surface at all.
    To evaluate and test this, I installed antiX 21 Beta 2 Full on my Thinkpad X201 and then installed Google Chrome and Firefox.
    Then I logged into the antiX Forum with each of them, one at a time, experimenting in particular with the drop down Forum menu – no problems observed.

I have not installed any other themes or modified the default appearance. This suggests any feature regressions are likely to be caused by making desktop theme or other changes.

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks Brian. This is certainly a clue. So themes other than the original default must be ‘imperfect’ as skidoo indicated.
    So what was the original default theme actually?
    First thing after installation I always change theme and background to a more aesthetic, so the original one did not stick in my memory…
    Not that I want to re-instate the original theme, but just to test…
    Thanks and regards.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I just changed the default wallpaper to one of my favorite images from a Corbin, Kentucky Cumberland Falls Waterfall image; this did not affect anything either. Other than that, the default is the blue/gray background with what looks like three telephone wires against a relatively blue colored sky.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I just tried selecting three other images from the default Control Center, Choose Wallpaper (without installing any other themes). None of the standard images I tried caused any menu selection issues either, so it is likely that some change other than a simple wallpaper change resulted in changed behavior, as suggested, possibly a non-standard theme.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.