antiX 22 dwm Unofficial Spin – Release 2

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antiX 22 dwm Unofficial Spin – Release 2

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 26 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jan 27-3:12 am by techore.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    techore

antiX 22 dwm Unofficial Spin – Release 2

antiX dwm Unofficial is my antiX spin with Suckless’ dynamic window manager, dwm, via bakkeby’s dwm-flexipatch.

Download:
      https://archive.org/details/antix-22-runit-dwm-rel2_202301

Repository and documentation:
      https://gitlab.com/techore/antix-dwm

Open issues:
      https://gitlab.com/techore/antix-dwm/-/issues

Changes in Release 2:

1. index.md: add ceni to “Install process”
      2. fish: enable vi mode system-wide
      3. sysctl: permit use of ping by users
      4. st: add st as an alternative lightweight terminal
      5. cheatsheet: add st
      6. Toolbox menu: now uses st not kitty to reduce memory footprint
      7. dwm: conf-dwm-rmkitty.sh script to configure dwm to use st versus kitty
      8. connman: add connman and cmst
      9. bluetooth: inst-bluez.sh for bluetooth support with connman
      10. cheatsheet: fish
      11. conky: add xinerama_head for multiple display support
      12. fonts: updated Nerd fonts to version 2.3.1
      13. file manager: vifm is replacing lf
      14. dwm: keybindings
      – delete mod+ctrl+l for lf
      – add mod+ctrl+o for vifm
      – add mod+shift+o for nvim
      15. connman: disable url checks
      16. vifm.vim: integration between vifm and nvim
      17. cheatsheet: added vifm
      18. font: add Symbola for st glyph support
      19. dwm: add XF86TouchpadToggle support
      20. runit: configure logs for anacron, connman, cron, dbus, and haveged
      21. neovim: update from 8.0 to 8.2

Attachments:
      techore
        Helpful
        Up
        ::

A BIG thank you for all the folks that contributed by providing feedback, suggestions, and help. Time is a precious commodity and I am grateful you gave your time to this project.

• @andyprough
        • @anticapitalista
        • @blur13
        • @bobc
        • @christophe
        • @dolphin_oracle
        • @iznit
        • @masinick
        • @olsztyn
        • @solusspider
        • @stevesr0

I am sure that I missed someone. If true, I apologize.

Brian Masinick
          Helpful
          Up

Nice work! I haven’t tried this version yet, but the image and description indicate that this is a nicely designed project.

Brian
          Or "The Mas"

olsztyn
            Helpful
            Up

Great job! Toolbar (floating window) quite detailed. I will download asap…
            Thanks!

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

andyprough
              Helpful
              Up

It’s so fast!

I turned on transparency in kitty, but I think I did it in an in-delicate manner:
              1) set ‘background_opacity 0.5’ in /etc/xdg/kitty/kitty.conf
              2) commented out the background and selection_background colors in /etc/xdg/kitty/axdwm-nord.conf
              3) install and start picom
              4) restart kitty

Of course, that turns off some of the beautiful kitty background coloring. Is there a more appropriate way to go about getting transparency?

techore
                Helpful
                Up

I used and loved picom for transparency on Artix with i3. It has been an item on my wish list but a low priority.

@andyprough, if you want me to add picom or picom support, I am open to it.

To answer your question, I don’t recall having to set transparency on terminals to use picom, but it was a long while ago on another personal Artix spin–based on Ghost in the Shell anime. It was, also, using i3 and a different terminal so apples to oranges comparison. Your method is not wrong. Is there a better way? No idea without digging deeper.

Mind attaching a screenshot? Not only to better understand but I want to admire your work. 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 days, 5 hours ago by techore.
                • This reply was modified 3 days, 3 hours ago by techore.
                andyprough
                  Helpful
                  Up

It doesn’t turn on transparency simply by installing picom, you have to set ‘background_opacity’ to a number between 0 and 1 in kitty.conf, and then you have to turn off any background theme or color. Or at least that’s what I could figure out.

kitty transparency

I don’t think you have to enable transparency by default or install picom by default, it’s not hard for me to do these steps. I was just thinking there’s probably a less in-elegant way for me to do it, but I might be wrong.

techore
                    Helpful
                    Up

Looks good and I don’t doubt you.

I looked for my old dotfiles from the Artix ARISE spin. I must have tossed them in the bin. Oh well. I do remember that I enabled experimental backends to use an algorithm to created a nice blurring effect. I found that it made text easier to read but you still got the overall feel of the wallpaper. Used in conjuction with gaps, it fit well together.

Thank you for sharing the image.

andyprough
                      Helpful
                      Up

I use a lot of aliases, and since we are using fish instead of bash, there’s no .bashrc to put the aliases into. So I read some stuff on stackoverflow, and it looked like the easiest way was to create a file ~/.config/fish/config.fish, and to write the aliases into it just like regular aliases in .bashrc:
                      alias apu=’sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade’

and so forth. The config.fish file did not need any special beginning, no #!/bin/bash or #!/bin/fish or anything like that, just start writing the aliases. Then I exited kitty and started it back up, and the aliases were working.

Now I see you have some other config.fish files on the system, such as /usr/share/fish/config.fish. Will I be causing any errors by creating my ~/.config/fish/config.fish file and writing aliases in it? Or is that the way we are supposed to do it like when we put them in .bashrc?

techore
                        Helpful
                        Up

Can you link the stackoverflow reference you used? I don’t think we are using the same method. You may have found a better way!

The system-wide aliases I created reside in /etc/fish/functions/. The spin functions are here:

https://gitlab.com/techore/antix-dwm/-/tree/main/file/fish/functions

Documentation is found here:
                        https://fishshell.com/docs/current/cmds/function.html

A good example is found in the above doc.
                        https://fishshell.com/docs/current/cmds/function.html#example

To answer the more general question, system-wide and user functions can coexist. If there is a conflict, I strongly suspect the user defined function will take precedence but I have not tested it.

andyprough
                          Helpful
                          Up

I hope this link will take you to the stackoverflow answer I used – https://stackoverflow.com/a/55369624

If not, look for the answer with the 28 up-votes.

It seems that making each alias its own individual function is the proper way of doing this on fish. But I wanted something that was more like editing .bashrc in my own home directory, and this method seemed to work the most like that.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 12 hours ago by andyprough.
                          techore
                            Helpful
                            Up

Interesting dicussion you shared from stackoverflow.

I followed the author documentation (guidance), but if the method you are using works and it has not been debunked since the posted date, 2020, it should be fine.

Good to know I have alternatives and thank you for sharing.

Brian Masinick
                              Helpful
                              Up

Andy’s alias definition is correct and it was placed in the correct location, according to the document at
                              https://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html

Specifically, in the section entitled Configuration
                              it says:
                              “To store configuration write it to a file called ~/.config/fish/config.fish.

.fish scripts in ~/.config/fish/conf.d/ are also automatically executed before config.fish.”

Regarding the use of a “special beginning”, sometimes referred to as a “Shebang line”, the following is also documented in the same reference:

Shebang Line

Because shell scripts are written in many different languages, they need to carry information about which interpreter should be used to execute them. For this, they are expected to have a first line, the shebang line, which names the interpreter executable.

A script written in bash would need a first line like this:

#!/bin/bash

When the shell tells the kernel to execute the file, it will use the interpreter /bin/bash.

For a script written in another language, just replace /bin/bash with the interpreter for that language (for example: /usr/bin/python for a python script, or /usr/local/bin/fish for a fish script).

This line is only needed when scripts are executed without specifying the interpreter. For functions inside fish or when executing a script with fish /path/to/script, a shebang is not required (but it doesn’t hurt!).”

Brian
                              Or "The Mas"

Brian Masinick
                                Helpful
                                Up

I’ve tried Fish once or twice, but since I do have a lot of pre-defined functions and aliases, many of which I originally wrote a long time ago for the Korn Shell, ksh, but because I knew that a LOT of it would be “portable” if I kept it in a style compatible with the original Bourne Shell, it would also work with any compatible shell, including ksh, pdksh, sh, bash, and zsh. Each of those shells also has additional features specific to them. I *might* use an occasional shell specific feature, but only when actually using that shell.

Also, I do remember using csh a long time ago because it had several conveniences when using the shell interactively, but csh based shells have a notoriously inferior scripting syntax, so as soon as other shells based on sh appeared and added those conveniences, I rarely used any csh based shells, though a long time ago I experimented with tcsh.

I’m not very likely to do much with fish, but I may experiment a bit if there is a great deal of interest here. Otherwise, between having a lot already invested in my own configurations and also having a much simpler set of retired use cases, now this is just a hobby, one that the time to exercise it is surprisingly minimal. You’d THINK that retirees would have a LOT of free time. Well, my wife and I are “relatively young” retirees still in our sixties and we have almost continual activities taking place, whether it’s travel, watching our nephew or picking him up from school, helping other people or enjoying the community, surprisingly it all adds up!

Brian
                                Or "The Mas"

techore
                                  Helpful
                                  Up

Author speaks to functions and aliases here:
                                  https://fishshell.com/docs/3.6/tutorial.html#functions

fish is different from bash but the author took pains to speak to bash users. Smart!
                                  https://fishshell.com/docs/current/fish_for_bash_users.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.