antiX 22 dwm Unofficial Spin

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antiX 22 dwm Unofficial Spin

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 75 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jan 23-6:48 pm by techore.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    blur13

This is true, I’ve also patched st to include scrollback. The complete scrollback buffer is allocated at startup, and if I recall correctly, the memory usage jumped from around 4 to 12 MiB. So away it went. Now I mainly edit colors, fonts, and shortcut keys. If I need scrollback I’ll use roxterm.

techore

Good information, @blur13.

The author of dwm-flexipatch, bakkeby, has st-flexipatch. I will take a closer look at roxterm but if I do go with st, I’ll use st-flexipatch. This will make it much easier for folks to patch st to their preference and st-flexipatch supports approximately seventy patches.

bakkeby actively supports folks and he added a bug fix at my request for antix-dwm.

blur13

Sounds good, I definitely think whatever light-weight terminal is chosen that scrollback should be a feature. Its more or less taken for granted, and not having it is user hostile.

techore

One option is use st versus kitty for situations where I need to call a window to float and center, e.g. rofi. That means both st and kitty are installed, however, you can install roxterm or any terminal you want. The only change you would need to make is update dwm’s config.h to use roxterm terminal when using mod+shift+enter. I will create an “install/inst-roxterm.sh” to complete the necessary tasks for your use case.

@blur13, what are your thoughts about the above solution?

SolusSpider

techore, this is Peter.

All seemed to be well when I installed to my Alienware M15x laptop, but I had no network at all, ethernet or wifi.
              Found a solution here: Network solution
              Running this code worked:
              sudo sysctl -w net.ipv4.ping_group_range="0 1000"

Here is my inxi -Fxz details:

System:
                Kernel: 5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                  v: 10.2.1 Desktop: dwm v: 6.4
                  Distro: antiX-22-runit_x64-core Grup Yorum 18 October 2022
                  base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
              Machine:
                Type: Portable System: Alienware product: M15x v: A07
                  serial: <superuser required>
                Mobo: Alienware model: N/A v: A07 serial: <superuser required>
                  BIOS: Alienware v: A07 date: 07/21/2010
              Battery:
                ID-1: BAT0 charge: 40.8 Wh (100.0%) condition: 40.8/57.7 Wh (70.7%)
                  volts: 12.3 min: 11.1 model: DELL W670DILB status: full
              CPU:
                Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5 M 540 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
                  arch: Westmere rev: 2 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 3 MiB
                Speed (MHz): avg: 2024 high: 2798 min/max: 1197/2528 boost: enabled
                  cores: 1: 1737 2: 2798 3: 2279 4: 1284 bogomips: 20216
                Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
              Graphics:
                Device-1: NVIDIA G92M [GeForce GTX 260M] vendor: Dell driver: N/A
                  arch: Tesla bus-ID: 02:00.0
                Device-2: Microdia Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_2M type: USB driver: uvcvideo
                  bus-ID: 1-1.4:3
                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.20.11 driver: X: loaded: nouveau,vesa
                  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting gpu: N/A resolution: 1280x768
                OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1 128 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.5
                  direct render: Yes
              Audio:
                Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Dell 5
                  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp running: yes
              Network:
                Device-1: Intel 82577LC Gigabit Network vendor: Dell driver: e1000e
                  v: kernel port: 1800 bus-ID: 00:19.0
                IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                Device-2: Broadcom BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n
                  vendor: Dell Wireless 1520 Half-size Mini PCIe Card driver: wl v: kernel
                  bus-ID: 07:00.0
                IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
              Drives:
                Local Storage: total: 1.94 TiB used: 4.27 GiB (0.2%)
                ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD PM851 2.5 7mm 128GB
                  size: 119.24 GiB
                ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Hitachi model: HDS722020ALA330 size: 1.82 TiB
              Partition:
                ID-1: / size: 146.59 GiB used: 4.27 GiB (2.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3
              Swap:
                ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda5
              Sensors:
                System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: N/A
                Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
              Info:
                Processes: 153 Uptime: 28m Memory: 7.76 GiB used: 497 MiB (6.3%)
                Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 939 Shell: fish
                v: 3.1.2 inxi: 3.3.19

Time for bed. Shall check more on the actual distro tomorrow.
              dwm is going to be a learning curve! he he

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by SolusSpider.
              techore

Nice! Thank you. I appreciate the fix and I will share the solution with @anticapitalista.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by techore.
                techore

I had no network at all, ethernet or wifi.

Good call out. I reviewed my installation instructions and failed to provide instructions on how to configure interfaces, e.g. ‘sudo ceni’. I will add it.

ceni is cli only. cmst is another option and may be more user friendly. I’ll add both items to my “To do” list.

Thank you for the feedback.

BobC

For the terminals that don’t provide name or title, could you use wmcrtl to set them?

http://linux.die.net/man/1/wmctrl

blur13

@techore

Seems like a good solution for terminals.

Regarding Ceni vs cmst. I’ve gotten ceni to work and its fine if only connecting to the same wifi all the time. It will autoconnect at startup. If the network is different then ceni has to be run again with the new network credentials. When moving back to the old wifi the same procedure has to be done again, ie the networks are not saved. Cmst recognizes known networks at startup and autoconnects.

At least that is my experience.

BobC

Blur13, for ceni have you tried roaming mode?

SolusSpider

I had no network at all, ethernet or wifi.

Good call out. I reviewed my installation instructions and failed to provide instructions on how to configure interfaces, e.g. ‘sudo ceni’. I will add it.
                          ceni is cli only. cmst is another option and may be more user friends. I’ll add both items to my “To do” list.
                          Thank you for the feedback.

Ok, I was right and wrong.
                          ping did not work initially and that found sysctl command to fix that.
                          Last evening I did run ceni and was connected.
                          When I rebooted it was just ping that did not work again. By that time it was past 1:00am for me and I was exhausted.
                          This morning I logged in as far as the terminal, ping did not work, but apt did when I went to install lynx.

techore

Nice! Thank you. I appreciate the fix and I will share the solution with @anticapitalista.

After checking Debian 11, I have determine the correct solution to permit users to use ping.

setcap cap_net_raw+ep /usr/bin/ping

I will add it to my build and will open another thread to report the issue and solution.

Update: I’ve added this to my build script so it will be working on the next release. I’ve open a post on the topic directed at anticapitalista–private messages are not working as a result of the recent forum issues, I assume.

blur13

@BobC
                              Thanks for the tip regarding Ceni, I’ll give that a try!

SolusSpider

After checking Debian 11, I have determine the correct solution to permit users to use ping.

setcap cap_net_raw+ep /usr/bin/ping

I will add it to my build and will open another thread to report the issue and solution.

That worked great, and is persistent across reboots.
                                Thank you.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by SolusSpider.
                                techore

Mystery solved with ping. anticapitalista figured it out.

It is still being puzzled out.

Monitor this thread:
                                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/bug-user-accounts-cannot-use-ping/#post-97503

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.