antiX-22 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-22 released

• This topic has 38 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated Jun 17-10:29 am by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    madibi

Many thanks to anticapitalista and the developers for realizing this fantastic antiX evolution
      m

Rantanplan

Hi everybody,

Sorry to disturb, but I’m not sure I understand.

I use antix 21 in Live-USB without persistence, just or only Live-usb-storage.

I read the announcement of the release of antiX 22 : bravo again.

To release, I saw that you have to use the commands :
        apt update
        apt update-dist

Is this also valid for a Live-USB installation ?
        And do you have to remaster after the update ?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you very much.

Vive antiX !
        Vive le Groland !

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

The commands in one line (user terminal)

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

Yes, you need to remaster afterwards if you are not running any form of persistence.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Rantanplan

Dear @anticapitalista,

many thanks for your answer very clear and the true commands to apply.

Bests regards.

Vive antiX !
            Vive le Groland !

marcelocripe

Anticapitalista, thank you very much for accepting and including our translations. In a quick and superficial view that I did last night of antiX 22 full sysvinit, I could see that more menus are translated/adapted in pt-BR language, now all Brazilians will be able to understand what ROX-Filer is or what it is for, zzzFM, Midnight Commander, YouTube Media Player and other menus that have been updated in antiX 21 via .desktop files. I noticed that there are new menus and I will be very happy to be able to translate the new .desktop files, both for SysVinit and Runit editions.

Thank you very much.

– – – – –

Anticapitalista, muito obrigado por você aceitar e incluir as nossas traduções. Em uma visualização rápida e superficial que eu fiz ontem à noite do antiX 22 full sysvinit, eu pude perceber que mais menus estão traduzidos/adaptados em idioma pt-BR, agora todos os Brasileiros conseguirão compreender o que é ou para que serve o ROX-Filer, zzzFM, Midnight Commander, YouTube Media Player e outros menus que foram atualizados no antiX 21 por meio dos arquivos .desktop. Eu percebi que existem novos menus e ficarei muito contente em poder traduzir os novos arquivos .desktop, tanto para as edições SysVinit e Runit.

Muito obrigado.

radekX

hello
                upgraded all packages via apt-get to 22, but lsb-release is still 21,
                Also grub shows 21 to login?
                what is wrong?

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

hello
                  upgraded all packages via apt-get to 22, but lsb-release is still 21,
                  Also grub shows 21 to login?
                  what is wrong?

Nothing is wrong.
                  antiX policy is not to make any changes to files that show what the original release was.
                  You are. of course, free to edit the appropriate files.
                  Enjoy.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

greyowl

Those using previous versions of antiX-21 do not need to download this new version. Simply upgrade via apt or synaptic.

I have had antiX-21 on my laptop.
                    If I use “antiX updater” in the menu, will it upgrade to antiX-22?
                    Is there a way to confirm that it is now antiX-22?

Also,
                    I want to thank everyone who has contributed to such a great operating system.

Dell Latitude D620 laptop with antiX 22 (64 bit)

olsztyn

Those using previous versions of antiX-21 do not need to download this new version. Simply upgrade via apt or synaptic.

My antiX 21 runit *elogind*-free has become officially antiX 22 by mere declaration, as I did not need to do anything – all was already updated… In fact, looks like I have been running beta antiX 22 since the beginning of 2022…

However, in relation to the above quote from anticapitalista I would like to add some clarity what the above quote entails:

– antiX 22 as it has been published is by definition *elogind*-free.
                      Mere updating (Synaptic or sudo apt dist-upgrade) will not make is *elogind*-free out of existing antiX 21. A distinguishing principle of antiX 22 as published is that it is *elogind*-free.
                      So unless you manually remove elogind and liblogind0 and replace with seatd, the update alone will not turn antiX 21 into antiX 22. Am I wrong on this, or the update process with take care of this?

– antiX 22 comes with kernel 5.10.142.
                      Again, if someone was running a different (such as older) kernel in antiX 21, I do not think that kernel will be upgraded via the Synaptic update as prescribed. This is minor thing though in comparison with #1.

There might be more of such differences. So unless in addition to the update as posted – via Synaptic or sudo apt – such additional manual tasks are performed, the resulting antiX 21 system will still remain antiX 21, not antiX 22, particularly if elogind and libelogind0 is not removed and replaced with seatd.

This is just my assessment as a user. If there is a different definition coming out of antiX headquarters then perhaps the notion of antiX 22 could be further clarified…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

Thee is no automatic replacement of elogind/libelogind when dist-upgrading antiX-21.
                        The main reason for this (and why I built a new iso antiX-22) is to avoid any possible breakage.
                        Some antiX-21 users might be running lxde for example which *needs* elogind (not just libelogind) to be running othewise the lxde logout menu will not have all the features (reboot, halt, suspend) etc.
                        Now, it is possible to run lxde without any elogind component and use the usual antiX logout scripts, but it is not my choice to force it on users.

The vast majority of antiX-21 users should be able to manually convert to it being elogind-free by following these instructions.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/removing-libelogind0-testers-needed/

olsztyn

The vast majority of antiX-21 users should be able to manually convert to it being elogind-free by following these instructions.
                          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/removing-libelogind0-testers-needed/

Thank you anticapitalista for further details.
                          The above, quoted from antiX headquarters is basically what you need to migrate to antiX 22 on top of just Synaptic or apt upgrade of antiX 21 system. In essence it means removing elogind and libelogind from system and installing seatd instead. This will make antiX 21 system *elogind*-free, which is what antiX 22 is about.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Wallon

I have not yet received the update. I wonder if I will receive it this year?

stevesr0

Hi all,

With this pure version, are there any specific methods advised to avoid the updating of packages to ones that “depend” upon/drag in elognind and/or libelogind0?

Or just the usual scrutinize all updated packages before allowing apt full-upgrade (or apt dist-upgrade) to install them?

stevesr0

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

Hi all,

With this pure version, are there any specific methods advised to avoid the updating of packages to ones that “depend” upon/drag in elognind and/or libelogind0?

Or just the usual scrutinize all updated packages before allowing apt full-upgrade (or apt dist-upgrade) to install them?

stevesr0

The latter.

stevesr0

Hi all,

I forgot that you can mark packages NOT to be installed, by using apt-mark hold followed by the package name!

I just live booted the antiX-22 iso, went fine. Then I ran apt-mark hold elogind and apt-mark hold libelogind0.

Didn’t work because I hadn’t updated the repositories.

But after I ran sudo apt update, these commands yielded a “response” package on hold.

Obviously, you still need to scrutinize the results of an apt full-upgrade before deciding whether to install it.

stevesr0

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.