antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 468 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Apr 25-9:00 pm by fladd.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

antiX-23.1 is being workd on.

I’m basically waiting for these 3 apps to be ready. (by ready I mean localised, with a desktop file and packaged as a deb or part of a deb).

Finder (I’m not 100% convinced that including the AI is a plus).
      New icewm-gui.
      antiX-radio

antiX-23.1-full (64bit) sysVinit/runit will ship with pipewire enabled (sorry Xunxi_23).
      All other versions will have alsa as default.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Tried to look up finder. All I understook/ken is that it is a

Similar file manager like Finder (mac) on linux ?

But that source is 7 years old so I am sure it is something else.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

Tried to look up finder.

It’s a GUI for the “finder” terminal command, and also performs app searches, web searches or queries an AI chatbot, to find the answer to just about anything: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/global-search-gui-for-antix/

P.

Robin

@anticapitalista :
            Working hard on antiXradio to get it ready for release, last changes on translatable strings in progress so these can be kept stable (as stable as possible) from now on. I do hope I can manage to put the resource at transifex today.

will ship with pipewire enabled

I am under the impression pipewire has improved tremendously from when we first met. Even when there are still some quirks for special use cases or particular hardware, and it takes some additional system load (which can be problematic on weak hardware) I regard it being a great asset for antiX. User can easily deactivate it by using the switch in antiX control centre if any issues turn up.
            But he (the user) should know that it’s not enough to push this button. He has to know he must check and reconfigure all the settings in all his audio programs once he has changed from pipewire to alsa or vice versa in control centre. Lots of manual work is to be done besides pressing the button, and most users are clueless where to look for these settings or are not aware of the fact they need to do this on their own. In my opinion some additional informational text should be present in the pipewire switch window, making user aware of these interrelations e.g. by means of an additional Help button, or by means of tooltips.

Kind regards
            Robin

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

anti-apXos

@Robin, The only program I’ve come across that needs its config changed when I switch between ALSA and Pipewire is XMMS. Everything else that I use at least seems to handle it on its own. Out of curiosity, what are the other apps you’ve needed to configure after toggling?

For XMMS, I added a sed line to my pipewire toggle script to change the config file automatically.

Actually, cmus would also need its config changed, but for my use I just always leave it using ALSA, which still works even when pipewire is enabled.

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

I don’t have to change anything in xmms.
                It plays ok with pipewire or also as default.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Robin

@anti-apXos
                  -Qsynth (you have to reconfigure and restart each sound module separately to either alsa or pulseaudio)
                  -Audacious (no sound after switch from pulse to alsa or vice versa, needs manual configuration)
                  -mpv (sometimes it needs ao=pulse explicitely set, otherwise silcence, or ao=alsa, otherwise “no sound driver found”, deactivating audio track.) This happens even when another instance of mpv is playing happily already, running with its automatic detection.
                  -Kdenlive (fails sometimes on proper automatic detection, tries “pipewire” while it works only with setting “pulseaudio” for some reason, even when we have no pulseaudio in antiX.
                  -Ardour7 (failed to come up with sound on pipewire, also didn’t notice the switch back to alsa. Needs to be reset manually to either alsa or pulseaudio (for running on pipewire, it doesn’t have native pipewire support by now)
                  -Audacity (no sound when running on pipewire, you have manually to switch between alsa and pipewire audio output)

In contrast, Linux show player does automatically detect the proper audio device always.
                  Also Hydrogen detects alsa and pulse both when set to automatic detection.

Maybe this behaviour changes, and some of the above could work then without manually reconfiguring after using the switch in antiX control centre, once I had time to update to recent version of pipewire, My above findings date from what I experienced in last months.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

@Robin – only one of the apps you mention is included on antiX (mpv).
                    I don’t need to do anything to mpv either when using it to play audio/video files.

anti-apXos

I don’t have to change anything in xmms.
                      It plays ok with pipewire or also as default.

I think like cmus, XMMS will still play if the output is set to libALSA.so and pipewire is enabled, but it’s playing through ALSA directly and bypassing all pipewire features. For cmus, this is what I personally want, but not XMMS.

The opposite case (using the pulse output when pipewire is not running) doesn’t work for me in either cmus or XMMS.

For me, mpv and its derivatives seem to automatically use pipewire when its available and default to ALSA when it’s not.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of this behavior depends on the audio card and ALSA driver, though, so it could be different on different systems.

marcelocripe

I’m bringing the conversation I had with @anticapitalista in the other topic to this one.
                        Estou trazendo a conversa que tive com o @anticapitalista no outro tópico para este.

marcelocripe

marcelocripe wrote:

@anticapitalista, just a request, which also serves as a reminder.

Please remember to use our translated “.desktop” files when creating new ISOs.

The Transifex “.desktop” files from the “antix23-desktop-files” resource have translations that are not yet in GitLab from several languages that were recently translated.

Even if some “.desktop” files lose their translations after antiX updates, at least the menus will be translated in the official ISO.

I published a video on YouTube teaching how to restore menu translations by copying the “.desktop” files (from the antiX 23 full ISO along with the duly translated “.desktop” files from Magnus and Onboard) to the /usr/ folder share/applications and click on the “Reload Menu” menu.

The Magnus and Onboard “.desktop” files are in the Internet Archive.

Thank you very much!

– – – – –

@anticapitalista, apenas um pedido, que também serve como lembrete.

Por favor, lembre-se de utilizar os nossos arquivos “.desktop” que estão traduzidos quando for criar as novas ISOs.

Os arquivos “.desktop” do Transifex do recurso “antix23-desktop-files” possui traduções que ainda não estão no GitLab de vários idiomas que foram traduzidos recentemente.

Mesmo que alguns arquivos “.desktop” percam as traduções após as atualizações do antiX, ao menos os menus estarão traduzidos na ISO oficial.

Eu publiquei um vídeo no YouTube ensinando a restaurar as traduções dos menus com a cópia dos arquivos “.desktop” (da ISO do antiX 23 full junto com os arquivos “.desktop” do Magnus e Onboard devidamente traduzidos) para a pasta /usr/share/applications e o clique no menu “Recarregar o Menu”.

Os arquivos “.desktop” do Magnus e Onboard estão no Internet Archive.

Muito obrigado!

marcelocripe

anticapitalista wrote:

@marcelocripe – thanks for the reminder, but the problem is that the desktop files are in a monolithic file at Transifex.
                            Extracting the translations for the menus takes hours and hours of manual work. It is not automated.

We need a better way to handle menu translations.

marcelocripe

@marcelocripe – thanks for the reminder, but the problem is that the desktop files are in a monolithic file at Transifex.
                              Extracting the translations for the menus takes hours and hours of manual work. It is not automated.

Robin knows how to do the automated process of collecting texts in Transifex and distributing them to “.desktop” files. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to use the tools he developed for this job.
                              In any case, it will still be important for all non-English speakers to have the translations of the menus of the “.desktop” files that were in the antiX 23 ISO.
                              Magnus and Onboard “.desktop” files with some translated languages could also be used after installing the “.deb” packages.
                              Magnus, I made merge request number 28, on September 14, 2023, but no developer responded to my request.
                              Onboard is on the Launchpad platform and is disorganized and messy “Unfinished translations and lack of organization of volunteer Brazilian Portuguese translators.“. For this reason, the language “pt_BR” will never have its Onboard translation completed.

– – – – –

O Robin sabe fazer o processo automatizado de coleta no Transifex e distribuição dos textos nos arquivos “.desktop”. Infelizmente eu não sei utilizar as ferramentas que ele desenvolveu para este trabalho.
                              De qualquer maneira, ainda será importante para todos os não falantes do idioma Inglês terem as traduções dos menus dos aquivos “.desktop” que estavam na ISO do antiX 23.
                              Os arquivos “.desktop” do Magnus e Onboard com alguns idiomas traduzidos também poderiam ser utilizados depois da instalação dos pacotes “.deb”.
                              O Magnus eu realizei o pedido de mesclagem número 28, no dia 14 de setembro de 2023, mas nenhum desenvolvedor respondeu ao meu pedido.
                              O Onboard está na plataforma Launchpad e é desorganizada e bagunçada “Unfinished translations and lack of organization of volunteer Brazilian Portuguese translators.“. Por este motivo, o idioma “pt_BR” nunca terá a sua tradução finalizada do Onboard.

Brian Masinick

@Robin said “I am under the impression pipewire has improved tremendously from when we first met. Even when there are still some quirks for special use cases or particular hardware, and it takes some additional system load (which can be problematic on weak hardware) I regard it being a great asset for antiX. User can easily deactivate it by using the switch in antiX control centre if any issues turn up.”

I agree; without pipework and associated services, I formerly had to prepend “apulse” and call each browser manually OR include it in my icon actions. However, if I did so automatically I’d sometimes run into situations when I added apulse that would cause otherwise stable browser instances to sometimes develop instabilities, so I agree that regardless of the inconveniences to a few, for the majority of others, myself included, the pipewire services have been effective, and I’ve included the suggestions that @abc-nix provided to us, which I presume will also become standard, and therefore this, along with the other changes will further improve a very nice antiX 23 release.

I’ve been using antiX 23 and antiX 23.1 side by side for some time now and I’m finding antiX 23.1 to be incrementally better for my use cases, but I’ve applied most of the antiX 23.1 changes to antiX 23 anyway so they’re both very good. I’ll be happy to reinstall it and retest if we require this; otherwise, as I’ve said, both, with the recent updates, are excellent.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                                rokytnji

Well. Since nobody mentioned this. Are we runit testers going to have reinstall?

I keep my installs updated and current.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                                  I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                                  Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                                  How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 469 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.