antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 468 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Apr 25-9:00 pm by fladd.
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    PPC

My run rox-as-root.sh has sudo now in the /usr/local/bin/

Just reading the script, before trying to test it:

# Obtain the location of the highlighted item
      DIR=$(dirname "$@")
      # Specify the preferred way to run as root 
      ASROOT=sudo
      # Start ROX-Filer as root at the specified location
      $ASROOT rox -d "$DIR"

Creating the ASROOT variable and then use it as prefix to launch rox is functionally the same thing as just running “sudo rox”, right? Just in a more complex way. What I think can be the problem with this solution? It you try to run the script from a GUI, you won’t have a GUI to enter your sudo password, and nothing will appear on screen.
      To test this, just remove the sudo password from the system memory with “sudo -k” and try to run the script… I’ll test that and report back…

EDIT:
      Yep, just tested:
      sudo -k
      call the script from the terminal -> it works (in antiX 23.1 it complains about the directory? I just ran the command, did not point it to any particular folder)
      sudo -k
      call the script from a file manager -> nothing shows up (as expected, because there’s no GUI to enter the sudo password, right?)

Suggestion use gksu instead of sudo. That worked in my previous tests, and I suggested using it. It always shows up a GUI to enter the password, when needed.

P.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
      PPC

@Robin – I can see your commit in suspend_if_idle was already accepted! Many thanks. I’ll have to test it later.
        In future versions of the script, we (me/you/someone else) can try to apply all the suggestions you made to that script. It currently is extremely basic, just meant to provide that functionally to antiX, and a basic GUI to go with it, if the user so requires… I step away from computer for 2 or 3 days and “a fire breaks out” :-(

Currently the only “problems” I can find in my installed and updated 23.1 (from the second to last .iso) are:
        – missing scsi icon in Control Centre (just a very tiny annoyance)
        – suspend_if_idle needs to be updated to include Robin’s last change (so it works correctly, if user runs the command several times, selecting different waiting values)
        (- the “sound test” was not working after a recent update, but the last update fixed that, I just noticed this, when writing this post. Nice Work, team!!!)

So… almost perfect???

If possible, I recommend that future versions (23.2+) may be multi-init. This will probably save anticapitalista lots of time, cutting the time spent in creating .isos to half (since no individual sysv and runit versions will have to be created).

EDIT:
        I just noticed, the problem that has been happening since antiX 19.X, from time to time, if I suspend a computer that uses usb Wi-fi “antenna”, after waking from suspension, no internet at all is available.
        Sometimes that is solved, in cmts, by turning wi-fi off and on again. Sometimes I have to unplug and replug the usb device… sometimes (worst of all) I have to reboot, to have network working again.
        Not everyone uses wi-fi. Not everyone uses usb wi-fi “antennas”. Not everyone uses “suspend”… but for people that are in that position, this sometimes may make Linux (since I think it’s not a problem restricted to antiX) look a bit “bad”.

P.

abc-nix

@anticapitalista Sorry if this sounds a bit demanding. No bad intentions here.
          Could the official antiX 23.1 be the runit edition and have the sysvinit as the “alternative” edition? Or is this released on hold until the multi-init system (developed in another thread) is ready and tested?

The cases I tried helping that had slimski not start properly after installation was with sysvinit as init, but I cannot remember anyone using the runit edition report the same issue. Also, the order of startup and shutdown init scripts handdled by the sysvinit edition, which had some trouble some time ago (I think I discussed this with Wallon), is difficult to solve.

I don’t know how people feel about the runit release but I think it is better and more stable than the sysvinit one. Also, the runit edition has the runit service manager GUI that is easier to use than the sysvinit cli one.

It sounds like a stupid suggestion so close to release. Sorry if it is out of place.

anti-apXos

Suggestion use gksu instead of sudo. That worked in my previous tests, and I suggested using it. It always shows up a GUI to enter the password, when needed.

Just to clear up some confusion here:

The /usr/local/bin/rox-as-root.sh script mentioned by @rokytnji is used in the (non-root) Rox “Send To…” menu. The issue you pointed out of not presenting a gui password entry is true and should probably be fixed in this script.

The issue @calciumsodium brought up is different, though. It’s to do with any instance of Rox as root, such as started from an IceWM menu or the rox-as-root.desktop file. These methods use su-to-root -X to start Rox and that’s already calling gksu. They’re the same thing, as far as I know.

If gksu always asks you for a password (and su-to-root -X shoukd, too), then maybe you’re using it in su-mode instead of sudo-mode? I guess it can be tested whether that works for others by using
            gksu --su-mode rox
            and unchecking the “Remember password” box. I can’t test this myself because su-mode apparently depends on gnome-keyring, which I don’t have installed. I’m not sure if it’s something I just uninstalled or if gksu’s su-mode is broken by default in antiX.

I just noticed, the problem that has been happening since antiX 19.X, from time to time, if I suspend a computer that uses usb Wi-fi “antenna”, after waking from suspension, no internet at all is available.

Is this maybe a power/persist issue? Is there a /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/persist file for your wifi adapter abd is it set to 1? You’ll have to look through the devices in that directory to find which one is your adapter. It’s based on which usb port you plug it into.

If setting power/persist for the device works, you could create a udev rule so that it’s always set.

olsztyn

I don’t know how people feel about the runit release but I think it is better and more stable than the sysvinit one. Also, the runit edition has the runit service manager GUI that is easier to use than the sysvinit cli one.

@abc-nix:
              I have been running only runit for years (over two years) exclusively. After I switched from sysvinit never looked back. So much superior I am surprised it is not the default yet.
              I would just keep the old, legacy sysvinit in the back storage though, just in case someone would become nostalgic to old times…
              My impression recently was that anticapitalista is brewing s6 bundle for antiX 23.1, which release would end up with runit as default and s6, sysvinit as optional init systems.
              Now that I said this I feel anticapitalista will want to prove me wrong, so I should have kept quiet in order to see such combination…

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

blur13

Less problems reported for runit might be because of a smaller userbase.

abc-nix

Less problems reported for runit might be because of a smaller userbase.

True. But as long as runit is the “alternative” init system, it will not increase its userbase. Only “brave” users, who are ready for a rough experience, will adopt it as their init system. The rest will consider it as a side project, as it is not the “official” version.

Xunzi_23

Regarding runit, here only a couple of legacy setups still on sysv.

With the GUI service manager runit setup has become very easy. No complaints from me,
                    local users I know all seem happy too or as a recent new user lady put it,
                    delighted.
                    She says antiX changed her life in a positive manner. No need to buy a new laptop
                    No more frustration with wdoze. Just Boot then work or play. She is not alone, local
                    userbase is slowly expanding.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
                    Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

For now (antiX-23 series), ‘default’ will still be sysVinit version mainly because our runit implementation still needs some work to be 100% ‘independent’.
                      abc-nix has been working on making our runit version even faster and more ‘predictable’.

In the (near) future, antiX will relegate sysVinit to be an init option (maybe). We’ll see how well a multi-init live iso works.
                      ProwlerGr’s work is very impressive, but it is still experimental and needs further testing when running live/frugal.

At he moment, I prefer runit, but I have been booting into a s6 implementation for the last 2 weeks without issues.

However, s6 and s6-66 are not for casual users at the moment.

I’m sure that will change.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

I also prefer runit to any of the other alternatives and since I found the runit service manager, even more so.

I think that our runit solution is approaching a solid solution for all; it’s been my favorite ever since we brought it in.

@abc-nix I appreciate and applaud all that you are doing to make our solution even better.

I’d be happy to review and test any further refinement you add to our solid offering.

As for s6, it was looking promising but to me a change today led to a rather serious regression in the usability and stability of the effort. I understand that it’s very early and I look forward to helping out with the testing process and I am optimistic that it can become another offering.

Considering how long it has taken to achieve the goodness of runit, despite the solid characteristics of runit, I can see that it will take a slightly larger team or considerably more time to add another stable init solution. Again I am eager to help test as many base levels as possible.

--
                        Brian Masinick

PPC

Today a lot of packages were updated, including antiX’s Control Centre!
                          Review of changes:
                          – Under “Hardware” – “Toggle equalizer” gives no output at all when clicked
                          – Nice idea, including a “Process Manager” button – but why htop and not the fully GUI LXtaskmanager? I’m ok with both, but probably most people prefer a GUI vs CLI app
                          – I liked seeing the “auto suspend” button- but, when it is enabled, there is no button icon… Extremely nice feature- the tooltip indicates the current auto suspend time. Typo: “timout” and not “timeout”. I would also make the “enable” text clearer, something like “Enable automatic suspension of the computer if no input (like keyboard or mouse) is detected for the selected amount of time”. The disable button has the same typo.

Suggestion:
                          If @Robin has still not had a complete mental breakdown, add “Shared Folders” to C.C., next to “Droopy” :-)

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

Looks like antiX-23 won’t be coming soon after all …

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ProwlerGr

In the (near) future, antiX will relegate sysVinit to be an init option (maybe). We’ll see how well a multi-init live iso works.
                              ProwlerGr’s work is very impressive, but it is still experimental and needs further testing when running live/frugal.

At he moment, I prefer runit, but I have been booting into a s6 implementation for the last 2 weeks without issues.

However, s6 and s6-66 are not for casual users at the moment.

I’m sure that will change.

Disclaimer first to the broader antiX community:
                              I am by no means associated to the antiX development team, I am just contributing a few things based on the interest & encouragement I have kindly received received from @anticapitalista, @Brian Masinick, @eric, @aitor & many other forum users & community members.

With the above said, I am just giving my opinion & 2c for what its worth:

@anticapitalista what I would like to suggest is to plan for the 4 inits to be included in an official release rather sooner than later subject to the following:

– Sysvinit works unaffected from the additional init packages & is provided as default & fully supported for production purposes.
                              – Runit to be tested thoroughly for defects due to some of its package modifications, & if no issues to be provided as fully supported for production purposes.
                              – s6-rc to be included with a disclaimer on the grub menu & release notes (UNSTABLE – FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY) provided as is with limited support
                              – s6-66 similar to s6-rc above to be included with a disclaimer on the grub menu & release notes (UNSTABLE – FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY) provided as is with limited support

This way it is clear sysvinit/runit are still the officially fully supported inits on antiX, & nobody to mistakenly assume otherwise.

It will also allow s6-rc & s6-66 to be broadly tested – feature developed & bug resolved without impacting any stabilty of production systems using sysvinit or runit.

If we delay the inclusion & limited support of the additional inits, we may lose momentum similar to what happened in 2019 when an antiX s6/66 POC was partially (or mostly succesfull) but never got anywhere past that POC until 2024.

I’m convinced that an official release that includes s6 (even with limited support) will trigger upstream interest from sister distro’s (eg MX & devuan), & why not Debian & Ubuntu. I believe that skarnet will also get motivation from this if it happens.

Reiterating this is my personal view only, hoping to get it into consideration like a regular community member.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by ProwlerGr.
                              Brian Masinick

@PPC if other people really want a full GUI process display, OK, but I am much more comfortable with htop than other approaches because I have used it for the past 25+ years. I’ve run into fancy process GUI apps recently and I don’t share your enthusiasm for them. Just to see the columns I’m interested in I always have to enlarge or move the columns in the display. I don’t usually have to change anything in htop unless I want to sort a specific column on rare occasions.

--
                                Brian Masinick

PPC

Looks like antiX-23 won’t be coming soon after all …

I hope that you did not say that because of my review of the recent C.C. changes…
                                  – The missing “disable Auto suspend” icon can be easily added (it can even be the same as “enable Auto suspend”- even without an icon, the button shows a tiny stop sign (the default for a missing icon), so it makes sense, in this particular case
                                  – Small typos are not really important
                                  – I loved the process manager idea! I love htop and use it all the time. My suggestion to use a GUI app instead was made considering what I think is probably the average user’s point of view. Fun fact: htop’s window is fully clickable, so it acts almost like a fully GUI app, instead of a CLI app that requires just keyboard input.

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 469 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.