antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 468 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Apr 25-9:00 pm by fladd.
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

@anticapitalista what I would like to suggest is to plan for the 4 inits to be included in an official release rather sooner than later subject to the following:

I’m convinced that an official release that includes s6 (even with limited support) will trigger upstream interest from sister distro’s (eg MX & devuan), & why not Debian & Ubuntu. I believe that skarnet will also get motivation from this if it happens.

Absolutely the right strategy IMO…
      Thanks ProwlerGr…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

The momentum generated will not be lost as it was before.
        We still have a lot of work to do and once antiX-23.1 is out of the way then I can focus more energy on other inits and integrating them.

antiX-23 was released with a serious bug and antiX-23.1 is mainly to address that plus a few improvements.

TBH I don’t think MX Linux will be interested in alternative init systems.
        I would not be surprised if MX becomes a totally systemd distro in the future.
        None of their main devs are opposed to systemd.

Devuan will probably be interested, but they will no doubt be pushed by people in their community.

antiX WILL get a multi-init iso – but not just yet.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista. Reason: fixed typo

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Thanks @anticapitalisa. Your comments are consistent with your usual decisions and I’m in complete support of the comments, actions and plans.

--
          Brian Masinick

PPC

once antiX-23.2 is out of the way

23.2? Was that a typo or are thinking that far ahead?

EDIT: As I expected, “multi-init” is such a big change, that requires so much testing that it’s not in the immediate future. My hat is off to you, on that wise decision.

I don’t see that much wrong with the current state of the “pre-final” 23.1, just a couple of tiny details to polish in Control Center, maybe?

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
            Robin

just a couple of tiny details to polish in Control Center, maybe?

Well’ I’ll try to get the .desktop translation harvester script adapted to the removed antiX subfolder in /usr/share/applications folder, in the hope these updates can go into antiX 23.1 ISO still then.

And then again zzzFM has got some improved translations for some languages at transifex. Here you can see this is urgently needed: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/meld-integration-into-zzzfm-possible/#post-131641 (1st screenshot)
              @anticapitalista: please don’t forget to harvest these for the Repo and the ISO, I had sent you a PM containing some details.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

Here you can see this is urgently needed: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/meld-integration-into-zzzfm-possible/#post-131641 (1st screenshot)

Weird error. Using Distrosea, I just booted antiX 23 Full runit, in English – that menu appears in English as it should… I’ll try booting in German and report back…
                I can confirm that problem, but not what causes it, probably some problem in the script that localizes zzzfm. I’ll take a look at it later

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
                Robin

I’ll try booting in German and report back…

No need for that, it’s fixed already. I’ve spotted the all false strings at transifex and translated them properly. Once anticapitalista will have updated the repos from the transifex translations it should be fine.

Xunzi_23

@anticapitalista,
                    thanks for info regarding MX and init, sad news, will prepare and migrate last MX user shortly.
                    As I refuse support for any sys d distro She will have to get used to ICEWM :-).

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

@anticapitalista,
                      thanks for info regarding MX and init, sad news, will prepare and migrate last MX user shortly.
                      As I refuse support for any sys d distro She will have to get used to ICEWM :-).

Note my words though. I said ‘I would not be surprised if …’ not ‘they are going to’
                      Who knows, they might dump systemd (though I doubt it).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xunzi_23

I did note the words :-),
                        the upcoming update is a good time for change, it is easier and less time consuming
                        for me to just support antiX and ICEWM locally.

I also consider antiX the best option for users who are almost all using
                        pretty old, hardware which was intended for the dump by previous owners.

Brian Masinick

Yeah, right now my MX Linux 23 AHS system has sysvinit and systemd installed, and both a shim and systemd services are indeed running, with no attempt one way or another from me to attempt to do anything other than use the usual system, so it would appear that the team relies upon systemd services rather than customize or build up something else. (I logged into MX Linux to actually check; I logged into a live instance of siduction over the weekend and also checked around there).

The siduction distribution is apparently proud of using systemd; they clearly state on their Website that they actually started using systemd before Debian actually adopted it, so many, undoubtedly most, of the systems that use a Debian-based system think the same way, and the majority of other distributions seem to go along too.

Arch Linux at least has users that use a few different init systems.

I’m glad that what we use or do not use is NOT governed by popular opinion, it’s governed by consideration of genuine software freedom plus lean, efficient tools and services. Clearly we are keeping these goals in sharp focus as we implement and plan our current and future software.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

These other distributions are not “bad” distributions; they run well. The simple facts are that their goals and purpose is very different from our distribution and that is why I am, more than ever, sticking predominantly with antiX, though I keep other distributions around for occasional runs to check on things and compare them to ours; those comparisons are always favorable to this biased user and our antiX!

--
                            Brian Masinick

Robin

There is a translation issue with the zzzFM extension antiX 23.1 uses for providing trash bin feature: While “Move to trash” is translated fine in the context menu, the entry “Restore” wouldn’t translate the same way. It shows up untranslated always. (Not sure whether this was present in former antiX versions already, didn’t happen to use the trash restore feature.)

The strange thing is: Neither the string “Trash” nor “Move to Trash” is present in zzzFM translation resource at all, while “Restore” is string #1004 in zzzFM at transifex.

Nevertheless this very string is ignored in ~/.config/zzzfm/session file, staying untranslated, while all the rest of the file seems to translate fine.

How or where can this be fixed?

PPC

he strange thing is: Neither the string “Trash” nor “Move to Trash” is present in zzzFM translation resource at all, while “Restore” is string #1004 in zzzFM at transifex.

This is my fault! “Trash” and “Move to Trash” have a workaround, to go get the localization not from zzzFM but from another file (geany, if I recall correctly)- I implemented this workaround to make sure those entries came up localized in time for antiX 23…
                                “Restore” had no work around implemented, because I could not find any already existing localization string that I could use for it. I kind of forgot about this entry because it’s exactly the same, in English and in Portuguese (i.e. it does not require localization in pt, since the original string comes out fine… but yes, it should, in pt, be “restaurar”, to be 100% correct with all other contextual menu entries).
                                Editing zzzfm config file is a nightmare, and editing the localization script is just a bit less of a pain. I’ll have to take a stab at altering the script to use the now existing localization for the “Restore” entry. It’s one of the very few things that are not localized in all languages, in zzzfm! sorry for the inconvenience…

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
                                PPC

@Robin- I just took a quick look at the zzzfmlocalize script. I’m not sure why I did not implement the automatic localization of the “Restore” string… It does exist in zzzfm localization files…

Quick fix, for installed systems:

pkill zzzfm
                                  TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale
                                  TEXTDOMAIN=zzzfm
                                  targetfile=~/.config/zzzfm/session
                                  restore_menu_entry=$"Restore" 
                                  sed -i "s/cstm_2b015761-label=.*/cstm_2b015761-label=$restore_menu_entry/g"  $targetfile 

this will kill zzzfm- if you are in a zzz “desktop”, please restart your session. Go to the Trash and click any file or folder… The “Restore” contextual menu should come up localized.

Permanent solution that should be included in antiX 23.1 code, if possible:

Please edit the zzzfmlocalize script, in the git (I don’t remember exactly where it is… in https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-zzzfm-antix) and, in the line (probably around nr 48) that says

sed -i "s/cstm_2b015761-label=.*/cstm_2b015761-label=$restore_menu_entry/g" $targetfile

please add, just above that line, these 2 new lines:

TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale
                                  TEXTDOMAIN=zzzfm

EDIT: I did just try to make that commit, but it was blocked because my fork is outdated. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 469 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.