antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 468 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Apr 25-9:00 pm by fladd.
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    Robin

@PPC I actually understand merely “Bahnhof” from what you said above. Had searched already hours on how to make the translations of zzzFM menu entries translatable, but couldn’t make anything of what I found in the running antiX system or in forum threads here and the zzzFM documentation. Hadn’t even spotted this ominous zzzfmlocalize script you refer to. I guess I have seen it’s traces, but could not find out when or by whom or under which conditions the file zzzfm_already_localized is created. I guess it belongs to your workaround. Please, could you explain how this all works, or even better:
      Please, include two additional context menu translations to it:

“Compare with Meld”
      “Search for Doublettes”

These two scripts are already completely translatable, but merely their context menu entry in zzzFM lacks of translation and refuses adamantly to accept any kind of translation. I came to the conclusion the session file must be edited from outside by using an external replacement command like sed, just like you have obviously already in use in your workaround for the trash bin. Great there exists already a solution, that makes it easy to implement translation the two new entries probably. (I even faintly remember we had discussed this some years? ago, but I have forgotten all the details.)

I did just try to make that commit, but it was blocked because my fork is outdated.

Just click the “update fork” button, then everything in your git space will be updated to the latest state of the source space. Then apply the changes you intend, and then you can send a merge request without being blocked. See example screenshot below:

Attachments:

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

@anticapitalista Please fix the zip file extraction in zzzFM in antiX 23.1 testing. It’s broken. The entry in the extraction handler’s setup is missing, so zip files won’t extract. Also zip files created by tar as used for the zzzFM zip compression handler are refused by the antiX forum, see https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/meld-integration-into-zzzfm-possible/#post-132171 , there I had created a zip archive using zzzFM context menu first, and it was refused. But since I knew perfectly the forum accepts zip files, I tried to create it manually on command line, using the native zip command this time rather than tar as zzzFM does currently in antiX 23.1, and these files are actually accepted by forum. I guess this will be a pitfall for new users…

Unfortunately the tar command for extracting the zip archive type set as handler in zzzFM fails on the files created by native zip command and accepted by forum.
        Not sure how the proper commands for these handlers should read, or how to assure compatibility, but what is present in antiX 23.1 testing ISO for zip handling in zzzFM is obviously wrong.

PPC

lease, could you explain how this all works, or even better:
          Please, include two additional context menu translations to it:

“Compare with Meld”
          “Search for Doublettes”

I’ve tried countless times, to update my forks of antiX related programs. No luck, maybe because I authenticate using Google?
          (EDIT: What the Frack??? It worked now? After dozen of tries, that always said I had to manually update the my forks? Well… computers. I made the commit, to localize the “Restore” entry- https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-zzzfm-antix/-/merge_requests/12/diffs )

Zzzfm can be very easy to configure manually, but it’s a pain to add any new entry to it by default.
          1- Each single new feature (like bookmark entry, toolbar entry, entry in the “Tools” menu or contextual menu entry) has it’s own randomly generated id (like “2b015761”). So, in order to add new entries, like the default bookmarks and the Trash related entries, I had to start from a “virgin” English language configuration file, manually insert every new entry I wanted, and then replace the default Zzzfm config file template (in the skell folder) with that altered file…
          2- To have those new entries localized, a script (zzzfmlocalize) checks if a certain flag file exists. If it does not exist, the script runs when antiX starts for the first time and edits the config file, using sed, it replaces the text of the new entries, using their unique ids, with localizable variables (that are localized using .pot files, etc).
          3- Once the localization is performed, a flag file is generated, informing the script that it no longer needs to run every time antiX starts…

So it’s quite a complex process. You’ll have to send me exactly the script(s) you want to be added to zzzfm… so I can boot from a virgin English language antiX, insert everything, get the id’s of the new entries, and add new lines to the localization script, in order to localize those new lines- it’s a piece of cake 🙂

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
          Robin

You’ll have to send me exactly the script(s) you want to be added to zzzfm

@PPC Please simply download the zip file from over here.
            Both scripts are ready for use, just copy them to the randomly created folders you’ve mentioned, and rename them the way zzzFM wants them to have.
            Both should be visible when nothing is selected, and also when one or more files are selected, and also if one or more folders are selected. (If zzzFM can’t distinguish that granular, the script will simply show an error message if e.g. a file and a folder is selected for comparison, which clearly can’t work.) Please simply use menu entry labels from above.

Btw, if you wonder what the German button translation means, this will probably make you understand immediately:
            mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJlZLG9UXSY
            (quotation is taken from behind position 00:00:50)

I’ve tried countless times, to update my forks of antiX related programs. No luck, maybe because I authenticate using Google?

Maybe, no idea. I do login directly to gitlab always, no google stuff around here. And for me the update of my fork always works properly, right now I have updated the antixcc.pot file I had created and uploaded to transifex yesterday, and which was waiting for git upload still. My git was 7 commits behind, and the click on the button updated it immediately to current version from antiX development git, so I could easily update the .pot file from local and send a merge request for this to anticapitalista. So not sure what prohibits the fork update for you. Maybe you should actually dump the google login and head for direct login at gitlab instead? At least I’d give this a try.

PPC

@Robin – I’ve just tested both scripts in my zzzfm.
              I do like the “Doublettes” one – it’s a simple and efficient way to search for duplicated files in a folder (I’m not really sure the average user would ever use that feature, but it’s a nice one).
              I also like the “Meld” one… but it relies on “meld” that is not installed by default in antiX. Will antiX 23.1 come with it pre-installed? If not, I see no point in including the script as is… maybe if you add the option to install meld, if it’s not present? Won’t a preexisting CLI app, like “diff” (that compares 2 files) be enough? It’s already included out of the box… True that it only works with 2 files, and not 3 and it’s CLI and not GUI (meld is really, really very visual and intuitive!) (EDIT: “diff -c file1 file2” is pretty handy too, and somewhat intuitive- but still light-years behind meld’s visual comparison)

Steps that we have to follow, to include these, or any other scripts, to be called from ZZZfm’s contextual menu:
              1- include in https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-zzzfm-antix/-/tree/main/bin?ref_type=heads the scripts we want zzzfm to be able to access (they don’t even have to be marked as executable)
              2- edit the default english zzzfm session file, adding, in zzzfm’s GUI, the contextual menu entries that call those scripts (and send that template to the Skell git – I forgot which one 🙁 )
              3- edit zzzfmlocalize script to localize the 2 new strings in the contextual menu (and change it in https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-zzzfm-antix/-/tree/main/bin?ref_type=heads )

P.

fladd

Thanks for the update Anticapitalista!

I finally had some time to boot the 23.1 ISO. I only spent 5 min in there for now (will do a more thorough test another time) but here are some bugs/observations that immediately jump out:

1. The zzzFM bug when using tabs I reported a year ago is still present. See: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-alpha1-runit-full-64bit-for-testing/page/15/#post-99478

2. AntixRadio does not work. When starting it, it will show a popup that the stations have been actualised. Whether you click Okay or Cancel, in both cases the popoup will reappear over and over again. It is not possible to close and keep it closed. The application is not usable and can only be closed by using Xkill.

3. AntixTV has typos and missing spaces before punctuation in the text it shows. When you click on a station it opens a tiny video player, with tiny window decorations and tiny controls, very hard to use.

4. The Archive manager is still a weird Gnome app, with a header bar and its own (light) style that does not follow a user’s theme (and is not even in line with the default Antix theme either, which is dark!). I still thinks this should be replaced with one of the many other much better options out there.

5. The default IceWM theme still has the same window title bar colour for active and inactive windows, making it impossible to know which window on your screen has focus. See:

PPC

Dear fladd, I’m not a part of the Dev team, but here it goes:

1. The “zzzFM bug” I think it’s not really zzzfm’s, but it’s (partly) a problem with the default gtk theme. Edit2: Sadly, zzzfm’s creator is no longer with us, so we require someone with know-how, in order to change the way zzzfm manages the kind of deviders that are shown when there are no tabs vs when showing tabs… Can you try to help out with that?
                  2. antiXRadio has been fixed, please update antiX 23.1, to get the latest bug free (I hope) version.
                  3- Any typos and missing spaces in antiXTV I assume are in your language (I’m guessing it’s not English). If possible, please help fix that in Transifex. If it opens a “tiny window” it’s because that TV stream is extremely low resolution and/or you have a very high dpi screen (please see Robin’s posts below this one about that)
                  4- anticapitalista likes Archive manager and antiX uses his default software choices. Feel free to install any other archive manager and make it the default for your systems! I do change many defaults myself…
                  5. About the “default IceWM theme”- I created it (well, mostly adapted it from other sources), and tried to make it use “sane” defaults, like always highlighting the selections with the similar colors (like menu entries, toolbar entries, etc). By design it does not change the title of the color bar of active windows simply because I don’t like that myself. You can easily notice which window has focus because it’s the one with brighter title and minimize, restore and maximize buttons… all the other windows show that in dark grey. I have terrible eye sight, and I tested that on some 5 screens… and I can always tell what is the active window, simply looking at the window buttons (if they are white, the window had focus, if they are grey it does not have focus). No one ever complained about that before… also, I think it’s quite similar to what MS Windows uses (on that I agree with MS’s design choice, and I don’t really recall if Windows highlights the focused window title bar). Once again, if you don’t like it, change the default theme to another one you like. We can’t please everyone…

EDIT1: I’m glad to see you around! I’ve been meaning to ask you about that script you developed to edit the colors of themes… maybe that can be implemented in IceWM control centre, in the future…

P.

Robin

3. AntixTV has typos and missing spaces before punctuation in the text it shows…

In which language are you using it? In case you are talking about the English master translation, please head over to https://app.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/acstv-antix-community-simple-tv-starter/ and fix what you find inappropriate in the English translations for en_GB and en_US. Same goes for all other languages.

… When you click on a station it opens a tiny video player,…

Please double click the tv window to make it fullscreen. To make this your permanent default, click open aCSTV “settings” and check the box “start playback in fullscreen”.
                    Btw, what monitor resolution do you use? In windowed mode It is set up for using approx. half of screen width and hight automatically. You may resize it by pressing Alt+F8, make sure mouse curser is right of it, then press right arrow key → once, and then move the mouse. When the window has reached the size you prefer, click left.
                    Alternatively use one of the tiling options from the player tray icon context menu, e.g. “upper half” to have the window resized. This will scale the OSD controls of MPV the same time.

…with tiny window decorations and tiny controls, very hard to use.

This window is meant to be controlled by keys. Please click open the “program help” within aCSTV’s settings to learn what keys can be used.
                    Short reference (only most important, way more to be found in the manual):

f = fullscreen
                    space = pause/resume
                    m = mute
                    0 and 9 = decrease and increase volume
                    5 and 6 = adjust Gamma for the video playback
                    - = bring up aCSTV control while playing
                    q = stop current station and bring up aCSTV control again
                    b = exit aCSTV

aCSTV uses a modern borderless design. If you want it coming up in classic style with distracting and space-occupying default window borders, just start it with command line option -r and in order to make this your personal default setting, edit the Exec= line in it’s .desktop file accordingly.

Please keep in mind the 23.1 ISO you have downloaded is still a testing ISO.
                    Additionally, please make sure to update antiX 23.1 testing you have installed or run from the ISO to the current state from the repos, e.g. using

sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get upgrade

This will fix lots of issues already you’ve mentioned, which have been addressed last days/weeks.

Robin

If it opens a “tiny window” it’s because that TV stream is extremely low resolution and/or you have a very high dpi screen

@PPC, here you are wrong. antiX-TV resizes the playback window independently of the stream resolution to approx. a quarter of the screen: half width and half height. As described above, it either can be switched to fullscreen by double-clicking into it, or the window can be resized using the default procedure the window manager provides (check Context menu of it’s tray icon to see some more options the windowmanager provides. e.g. you can make the window come up on all workspaces) Additionally you may apply the various tiling options like “upper half” etc. available from this context menu.

calciumsodium

Hello @Robin,
                        Is there a way to specify a specific mpv resolution on aCSTV? For example, I want it to only play 240p resolution.
                        On one of my very oldest computers, aCSTV works, but it uses 100% cpu. This computer normally runs mpv videos with 240p resolution without overworking this cold CPU.
                        I looked at the code and the mpv yt lua script, but I could not figure out how to specify a specific resolution.
                        Normally, I use a mpv.conf file to specify a specific resolutin in ~/.config/mpv folder. But the way that you set up mpv in aCSTV is different.
                        Thanks for consideration.

Robin

On one of my very oldest computers, aCSTV works, but it uses 100% cpu.

Hi @calciumsodium,
                          Just click open aCSTV’s settings. Then set the kbps value accordingly to the power of your device. See the help manual (click “Program Help” in Settings dialog) for details about how resolution, the cpu load and this kbps value correlate.

But please note, meanwhile some stations have stopped to provide low-resource friendly streams, which means: instead of 25fps they stream now with 50 or 60 fps merely, even for 240p resolution (that’s crazy!). This will cause your CPU drive mad. Result is: you have to reduce the kbps value further, and instead of having clearest and sharpest video playback your device would be capable of, you have to play the ultra lowres streams now. On top of this, some stations have dropped their low res streams completely, so these won’t come up at all when reducing the kbps value: MPV won’t find a suitable stream for this station then.

This computer normally runs mpv videos with 240p resolution

First thing to understand is: the game changer is not the resolution here, but the kbps value and the fps rate. This determines whether your CPU is overstressed or not from playing a video in a specific resolution. For example, you can perfectly fine play e.g. 480p videos on devices of low ressources, if framerate and kbps don’t exceed reasonable limits. When aCSTV was developed, all the streams came in 25fps still, and it ran perfectly fine up to 720p on a 20 years old single core 32 bit notebook, with reasonable CPU load below 30%. Now the TV stations have switched to 50fps, it drives CPU mad going up to 70%. So you have to reduce the kbps value to force MPV into using 480p and accept the poor display quality resulting from the lower resolution. The TV stations are to blame for this inconvenience, using 60fps even for low resolutions, what is clearly nonsense.

If you are interested to learn what streams with which fps and kbps values in which resolutions a specific station provides, use in a console window:
                          yt-dlp -F '<url of stream'
                          From the output table you can derive what kbps rate you have to set in aCSTV settings.

aCSTV always will select the best stream available for the kbps limit you have entered in the settings, whatever resolution a stream has. This has turned out to be the most reliable method in multiple tests. Maybe the tests have to be repeated, to include now the raised fps into the calculations. Not sure in which way this can be implemented, but I guess this will come some day once I have a bit spare time left.

calciumsodium

the game changer is not the resolution here, but the kbps value and the fps rate. This determines whether your CPU is overstressed or not from playing a video in a specific resolution.

Thanks @Robin,
                            I did see and read about the kbps setting option.

I will play with it and let you know about it.

calciumsodium

Hello @Robin,

Running Live-DVD of an iso-snapshot of a heavily modified antiX23 init-diversity system to write this post.

I was able to change the kbps setting in my aCSTV system to 1000 on an old computer that I had put together from various parts where people threw away. As you can see, some stations still have streams with this low resolution where I am at. But hey, it works on his 20 year old system. Please see screenshot.

Thank you.

Attachments:
                              PPC

@Robin – sorry that I currently can’t help much with with “zzzfm add-on’s” project.
                                I suppose that you had no problems understanding the zzzfmlocalization script, since I see 2 of the “work around” localizations that I included, so ZzzFM would be localized when antiX 23 came out, are now up for localization in Transifex!
                                If there’s any detail that I can explain, feel free to ask, here, in PM or via e-mail. As soon as I can, I’ll try to reply…
                                Suggestion: I think that, when I checked, the meld script in you Git did not included a routine to ask if the user wants to install meld, if it’s missing. That I can help you with, if you wish… since I have several versions of those routines in some of my scripts- having the possibility to use a program from the File Manager, that is not included by default, to me, only makes sense, if the File Manager allows to install that program, in order to use that feature… My secondary suggestion, using already available cli tools to compare files seems not to please you (and seeing how great meld works, I understand that).

P.

PPC

I was able to change the kbps setting in my aCSTV system

Thanks for sharing your solution, to stream TV on slow computers!

@Robin – maybe this deserves a simple entry in aCSTV settings menu? Something like an option to remove the “quality” line (or set it to the default) or have it set to a few default values users can choose from? A lot of work, I know, I know, sorry for the suggestion. I do hate it myself when I create a script and people keep asking – “change this detail, implement that feature…”. It’s a suggestion made in good faith, to make a good product even better in slow computers.
                                  Note: I think I never tried running aCSTV in my 32bits laptop… but it’s much, much slower than calcium’s computer

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 469 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.