antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 467 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Feb 26-9:42 pm by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 468 total)
  • Author
    Robin

Hi @calciumsodium

As you can see, some stations still have streams with this low resolution where I am at. But hey, it works on his 20 year old system. Please see screenshot.

That’s the idea of aCSTV. You can run it on (mostly) all kind of hardware, even on pretty week devices. And yes, some stations also here send in 25fps still.

The en_US list is way bigger than the few stations you have present in the controls, it comprises of probably ten pages, so you may want to check out the other lists from the stations lists library. And you need to use latest version from the antiX repos to have the huge list split into pages so it will run on low resources anyway (you don’t need to split up the lists manually any longer, aCSTV loads huge lists now in chunks of 60 stations mapped to pages on its own)

What are the hw specs from your screenshot? Could you please post the output of the “Full info” entry from antiX Control centre, hardware tab, PC information button? Would be really interesting on what system you have it got running with the kbps set to 1000.

Btw, from your screenshot I can see, the UI comes up untranslated for you, while the program time table entry in the settings file seems to be the one from the translations (the settings file is not meant to be edited manually, but you can do so anyway). Did translation fail? What locale settings do you run? The translation was set up to come up in English “en” localisation automatically if no translation is available for the language you of your UI still. So I wonder what makes the UI come up in original language for you rather than being translated to English. Maybe something is still broken? Or does your system not have getttext support installed? For aCSTV package gettext is a dependency.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

sorry that I currently can’t help much with with “zzzfm add-on’s” project.

@PPC No big deal. It’s done already. Please see !13
        I have rummaged a bit in your zzzfmlocalise script while adding the two new translatable entries… sorry. But I felt it was necessary. It is easier to maintain now. All your great workaround constructions for working around other workarounds, caused by missing translatable strings in the available resources had to give way a clean structure in the end. Your merge request !12 to desktop-defaults-zzz-antix is now obsolete. The missing translation of Restore string is also addressed; btw, the way you had added the workaround for this string it couldn’t have worked, since it looked up the translation before the textdomain was re-set to zzzfm. It came up untranslated still, which was the reason why I started to clean up a bit. Hope you like my changes…

maybe this deserves a simple entry in aCSTV settings menu?

It has a simple entry in settings menu already. No need to edit the settings file manually. But if you like, you can edit it that way, it will work all the same, but you can only edit it manually after aCSTV was shut down, otherwise your changes might get overwritten by the running aCSTV instance 🙂

calciumsodium

Hello @Robin,
          I knew you would ask me about the untranslated stuff. And of course, you knew that this is a previous version of your aCSTV program.

When I installed the .deb manually by dpkg, it complained of not having the right dependencies, especially the network check.

But the install created the all important /usr/local/bin/aCSTV.sh script, the /usr/share/applications/aCSTV.desktop script, and the /usr/local/lib/aCSTV folder.

Now the next part is me playing around and I think you would not approve. So I went into your aCSTV.sh script and deleted the section for network check and saved to aCSTV.sh_backup. Then I copied aCSTV.desktop to aCSTV.desktop_backup, and copied the folder /usr/local/lib/aCSTV to aCSTV_backup.

Then I cleaned up the apt error with sudo apt install –fix-broken. This deleted the aCSTV.sh file, aCSTV.desktop file, and aCSTV foler. So aCSTV is no longer installed. Then I renamed aCSTV.sh_backup to aCSTV.sh, renamed aCSTV.desktop_backup to aCSTV.desktop, and renamed folder aCSTV_backup to aCSTV. Now, aCSTV is “installed” but not installed.

It works, and that is why those fields are untranslated.

Even with a shortened list of 60 stations, it takes too much time and energy on this old machine. That is why I manually condensed this list even further to such a small list.

Here is the full info on hardware:

$ inxi -zv8
          System: Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.0-326-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0
          parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-326-antix.1-686-smp-pae
          root=UUID=1d4a4bc5-7fba-4bcf-a7e5-a2a86f467808 ro vga=791 quiet
          Desktop: IceWM 1.6.3+git20191202 dm: SLiM 1.3.6
          Distro: antiX-19.1_386-base Marielle Franco 23 December 2019 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
          Machine: Type: Unknown Mobo: Intel model: D845PEBT2 v: AAC12587-405 serial: <filter> BIOS: Intel
          v: BT84520A.86A.0024.P10.0308081142 date: 08/08/2003
          Memory: RAM: total: 743.7 MiB used: 116.0 MiB (15.6%)
          RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
          PCI Slots: Permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
          CPU: Topology: Single Core model: Intel Celeron bits: 32 type: MCP arch: Netburst Northwood family: F (15)
          model-id: 2 stepping: 7 microcode: 37 L2 cache: 128 KiB bogomips: 4799
          Speed: 2400 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 2400
          Flags: acpi apic bts cid clflush cmov cx8 de dts fpu fxsr ht mca mce mmx msr mtrr pae pat pbe pebs pge
          pse pse36 sep ss sse sse2 tm tsc vme xtpr
          Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: Vulnerable
          Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion
          Type: mds status: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT disabled
          Type: meltdown status: Vulnerable
          Type: mmio_stale_data status: Not affected
          Type: spec_store_bypass status: Vulnerable
          Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
          Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Retpolines, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling
          Type: srbds status: Not affected
          Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected
          Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA NV5 [Riva TNT2 Model 64 / Model 64 Pro] driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0
          chip ID: 10de:002d
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa alternate: nv
          resolution: 1280×1024~60Hz
          OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI nv05 x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.2 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes
          Audio: Device-1: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM AC97 Audio driver: snd_intel8x0 v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.5
          chip ID: 8086:24c5
          Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.0-326-antix.1-686-smp-pae
          Network: Device-1: Marvell 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless vendor: Netgear WG311v3 802.11g
          driver: ndiswrapper v: 1.61 port: e080 bus ID: 02:02.0 chip ID: 11ab:1faa
          IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
          IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
          IP v6: <filter> scope: link
          WAN IP: <filter>
          Drives: Local Storage: total: 37.27 GiB used: 2.84 GiB (7.6%)
          ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD400BB-00FJA0 size: 37.27 GiB block size: physical: 512 B
          logical: 512 B speed: <unknown> serial: <filter> rev: 3G13 scheme: MBR
          Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: HL-DT-ST model: CD-RW GCE-8160B rev: 2.01 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw
          Features: speed: 40 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: no rw: cd-r,cd-rw state: running
          RAID: Message: No RAID data was found.
          Partition: ID-1: / raw size: 7.42 GiB size: 7.21 GiB (97.15%) used: 2.84 GiB (39.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
          label: rootantiX19 uuid: 1d4a4bc5-7fba-4bcf-a7e5-a2a86f467808
          ID-2: swap-1 size: 568.0 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap swappiness: 10 (default 60)
          cache pressure: 50 (default 100) dev: /dev/sda3 label: swapantiX
          uuid: da88b6af-8ab5-4c16-ab08-afdc093fc7e8
          Unmounted: ID-1: /dev/sda1 size: 29.29 GiB fs: ntfs label: N/A uuid: D4B0782FB0781A66
          USB: Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip ID: 1d6b:0002
          Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip ID: 1d6b:0001
          Device-1: 2-2:2 info: N/A type: Mouse driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 1.5 Mb/s
          chip ID: 046d:c018
          Hub: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip ID: 1d6b:0001
          Hub: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip ID: 1d6b:0001
          Sensors: Message: No sensors data was found. Is sensors configured?
          Repos: Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
          1: deb http://mirrors.rit.edu/mxlinux/mx-packages/antix/buster buster main nonfree
          Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
          1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
          Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
          1: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
          2: deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
          No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list
          No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list
          Processes: CPU top: 5
          1: cpu: 3.8% command: xorg pid: 1881 mem: 31.8 MiB (4.2%)
          2: cpu: 3.3% command: rox pid: 2060 mem: 38.2 MiB (5.1%)
          3: cpu: 2.1% command: bash pid: 2683 mem: 3.93 MiB (0.5%)
          4: cpu: 2.0% command: slim pid: 1859 mem: 8.13 MiB (1.0%)
          5: cpu: 1.6% command: haveged pid: 1756 mem: 4.02 MiB (0.5%)
          Memory top: 5
          1: mem: 38.2 MiB (5.1%) command: rox pid: 2060 cpu: 3.3%
          2: mem: 31.8 MiB (4.2%) command: xorg pid: 1881 cpu: 3.8%
          3: mem: 24.0 MiB (3.2%) command: x-terminal-emulator pid: 2075 cpu: 0.8%
          4: mem: 18.2 MiB (2.4%) command: links2 pid: 2193 cpu: 0.5%
          5: mem: 12.6 MiB (1.6%) command: icewm pid: 2048 cpu: 0.6%
          Info: Processes: 132 Uptime: 2m Init: SysVinit v: 2.93 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 alt: 8
          Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 running in: x-terminal-emul inxi: 3.0.36
          jakersfan@antix1:~

PPC

@Robin – I just closed my previous merge request! I’m glad you are updating the zzzfmlocalize script – as you can probably guess, it was created with lots and lots of trial and error, lots of workarounds. Today I would probably have written a different, more effective script, and just wait around for a localization file to be placed in Transifex and the translation team to take care of it… But I worried, particularly about our Brazilian users that would have a “break down”, if they saw something in English in the File Manager. Many of them have problems using antiX, even with Marcelo’s “exhaustive” pt-br localization, that often feels like not as a “regular” application text, but as a kindergarten teacher explaining stuff to 3 year olds… If they saw a bookmark saying “Trash” and a contextual menu entry saying “send to Trash” in English, I think most of them would never use it!
            I’ve not yet taken a good look at your commit, but, please know that I tested my proposal, running the “work around commands” I described in a previous post. It worked perfectly, localizing the “restore” string. In pt, it now reads, the 100% correct text “restaurar”. I assumed that, logically, that change, applied to zzzfmlocalize script would also work…

Having a centralized localization resource for all additions made to the original zzzfm configuration is, in fact the ideal situation.

Recommendation 1- please text, exhaustively, in live mode, any and all changes to zzzfm config file and to zzzfmlocalize- it took many, many tries to make sure that the original versions of that file and script worked as they should… I booted live, in English, killed zzzfm, using the cli or a script, I replaced zzzfm config file with my adapted one, ran zzzfmlocalize and then called zzzfm and tested the changes. I did that test in English, Pt, Pt-br and another language, I think it was fr, just to make sure it worked universally…
            EDIT:
            Recommendation 2- add the string that is obtained from geany’s localization file to antix-zzz-extension (adapting zzzfmlocalize accordingly), thus removing that practical dependency, and completing the centralization of all zzzfm extra localization in the same resource

By the way, now that you are tackling that problem: for some reason that I never ever understood, zzzfm started demanding a double click to enter bookmarks- that was not the original behavior! Any light on that situation?

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
            Robin

The Archive manager is still a weird Gnome app, with a header bar and its own (light) style that does not follow a user’s theme…

So what? Many of the tools don’t follow the themes, either partly or completely. Set-date-and-time, aCSTV (this one you can force into displaying borders by adding -r command line option to the call), parts of antiX control centre (which come up borderless), antiX acoustic colours (also borderless in latest update, to save some space on screen), even unplugdrive (also this once you can force into bordered mode by adding -d to the call). I’ll stop here the listing, there are way more.

…and is not even in line with the default Antix theme either, which is dark!)

For me the archivemanager comes up dark without any quirks. Hadn’t to convince it, it came just up dark after setting my dark default theme on antiX 23.1. See screenshot. So you are obviously wrong here, or the theme you use isn’t fit for it.

I still thinks this should be replaced with one of the many other much better options out there.

For me it works fine. Don’t see any reason why it should be replaced. Is there a specific archive manager you have in mind, which is as lightweight and comes with a functionality superior to the current selection?

Attachments:

Brian Masinick

My personal 23.1 instance has been solid from day one and remains that way. Same with my antiX 23 Full runit instance.
                Moreover my previous issues with the init-diversity image have been settled and that work is also looking very promising now too.

So I hope that the remaining translation and tool activity will be successfully completed, because we have some great software
                to share with the broader community.

For anyone reading this, I now have no reservations about any of our systems. If you were to install any of them now, the
                only thing you may have to do would be to install or update a few of the tools that are still being worked on; otherwise
                all of our works in progress are really solid; I’ve been testing all of them fairly extensively to come up with this claim.

--
                Brian Masinick

PPC

For me the archivemanager comes up dark without any quirks. Hadn’t to convince it, it came just up dark after setting my dark default theme on antiX 23.1

I think fladd was maybe mentioning only to the default IceWM Theme, that is, in fact, dark. But that “dark theme” only applies to the window decoration of windows that have their window decorations managed by the Window Manager. To have the contents of all (as much as possible) windows in a “dark theme”, users have to choose a “dark gtk theme”. I tried to explain that, as much as possible, in IceWM’s Control Center tool-tips… If you want a global dark/light mode, you have to set the dark/light window manager theme and then a dark/light GTK theme. Some apps require to have their own internal dark/light themes selected in their configuration, not at system wide level…

Note: the problem fladd reports in zzzfm’s bookmark’s vertical delimitation line is almost non noticeable in some gtk themes other than antiX’s default one.

P.

PPC

@Robin –
                    I just checked https://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/desktop-defaults-zzzfm-antix/-/blob/main/skel/.config/zzzfm/session?ref_type=heads
                    At first glance: aren’t the “Meld” and “Doubletts” related lines missing the “line” command, that runs the relevant scripts (usually from ~/.configure/zzzfm)?

P.

PPC

@anticapitalista – just in case the gtk version of IceWM Control Centre was left forgotten – the (much lighter than the yad one) gtk script is ready and fully operational (it just does not look, in my opinion, as good as the yad one, but it starts almost instantly even in the slowest machines.

Not perfect:
                      1- It uses the default gtk icon on the title bar, same as antiX Control Centre (Robin says that icons have to be declared in gtk-dialog- I’ve not tried to do that)
                      2- The initial instruction, to click twice any button that fails to work for the first time uses 3 lines, instead of one- because variables are formatted that way, to appear correctly next to the buttons. Possible solution- change the $main_window_text so a smaller text, that requires to be translated again in Transifex. I advise to reduce that variable to just it’s second sentence: “If an option fails to work, please try clicking it again.” It makes more sense and uses only 1 single line.
                      3- Due to variables presented in buttons text including a slash, gtk-dialog adds a space between the tabs and the area of the screen that shoes buttons. I found no work around that. As we say in Portugal “If there’s no solution for that problem, the problem is solved”(meaning “Sorry, it’s just the way it is, deal with it”).

As is, the GUI itself works perfectly. EDIT: …and is fully localized (since no text string was changed)!

P.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

@anticapitalista – just in case the gtk version of IceWM Control Centre was left forgotten – the (much lighter than the yad one) gtk script is ready and fully operational (it just does not look, in my opinion, as good as the yad one, but it starts almost instantly even in the slowest machines.

Not perfect:
                        1- It uses the default gtk icon on the title bar, same as antiX Control Centre (Robin says that icons have to be declared in gtk-dialog- I’ve not tried to do that)
                        2- The initial instruction, to click twice any button that fails to work for the first time uses 3 lines, instead of one- because variables are formatted that way, to appear correctly next to the buttons. Possible solution- change the $main_window_text so a smaller text, that requires to be translated again in Transifex. I advise to reduce that variable to just it’s second sentence: “If an option fails to work, please try clicking it again.” It makes more sense and uses only 1 single line.
                        3- Due to variables presented in buttons text including a slash, gtk-dialog adds a space between the tabs and the area of the screen that shoes buttons. I found no work around that. As we say in Portugal “If there’s no solution for that problem, the problem is solved”(meaning “Sorry, it’s just the way it is, deal with it”).

As is, the GUI itself works perfectly. EDIT: …and is fully localized (since no text string was changed)!

P.

Great catch!
                        I thought I had updated the deb to include the gtkdialog version, but I hadn’t.
                        Will be updated asap

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

Will be updated asap

WAIT!!!!

I seemed to have found a fix for the extra space between the tabs and the icons! Please test…

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

Will be updated asap

WAIT!!!!

I seemed to have found a fix for the extra space between the tabs and the icons! Please test…

Yippeee! That fixes it

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

Damn! I had to fix a couple of icons that got messed up during my testing… Sorry…

Brian Masinick

Damn! I had to fix a couple of icons that got messed up during my testing… Sorry…

Tried it out and it’s seems to work well. Didn’t try every option, but I ran several of them in multiple categories.
                                Are there any recent ones that need testing? They appear to be pretty much the same as the previous tool, but if there
                                are things that need to be checked I can run them specifically to verify once again.

--
                                Brian Masinick

PPC

Tried it out and it’s seems to work well. Didn’t try every option, but I ran several of them in multiple categories.
                                  Are there any recent ones that need testing? They appear to be pretty much the same as the previous tool

The functions are exactly the same as the current yad version of the script.

Also, a slightly improved version:
                                  -I changed the string on the top of the script, that now requires localization, once again
                                  -reduced the bottom “manually edit config files” button, and made it use the default text editor (and not geany directly)

To do:
                                  find a way to use the right icon, not just the default one (that is the same that antiX CC uses). If I find a way to do this, then I can say the script is really equivalent to the yad one
                                  (it probably requires, later, some new, better looking icons, since the buttons are larger and the images tend to pixelate)

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 468 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.