antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 467 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Feb 26-9:42 pm by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 468 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I can see what you mean, it would be nice to have 100% decent icons; some look fine, others not so much.
      Functionality wise, it’s looking fine, so between this and your previous tools, we certainly have
      some solid ways to manage the IceWM features.

Regardless of what’s there now, none of this is a “show stopper”; it works, incremental modifications
      can fine tune appearance.

--
      Brian Masinick

PPC

@anticapitalista – while trying to learn how to fix icewm control center title bar icon, I learned how to fix antiX CC titlebar icon!

EDIT: That damn CC icon has been getting in my nerves for some 7 years! 🙂

P.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by PPC.
        Attachments:
        PPC

and now also IceWM CC…

Brian Masinick

Getting there! I now have the updated antixcc.sh in place and the updated icewm-manager-gui, with the icon and toolbar updates; all that remains now are better icons for SOME of the icewm-manager-icon items; other ones look fine as is.

Good work!

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Oh yeah, I just finished running the script for the s6 init-diversity project on another system and that is also working correctly; have to report on that too in another thread; see ya!

--
              Brian Masinick

Robin

it took many, many tries to make sure that the original versions of that file and script worked as they should…

Signed. I also had to do several repetitions of testings to make sure all horses are safely back in the stable… That zzzfm is like a rider hopping up into saddle from the one side while sliding down on the other again the same time 🙂 But finally I got how these entries work, and you actually can write an additional entry into its stations file manually, to any position where you want to have it placed in context menu, simply by applying the proper syntax and adapting the “previous” and “next” references of the entries before and after. This is what I did, using the original session file from the git space (identically to the one currently present in the ISO, I’ve counterchecked) instead of letting zzzFM write it on it’s own in a virgin English localised test bed environment. I simply ‘synthesised’ the new entries on my current antiX 23.1 testing, fully localised. And once the mechanism works in one language, it ought to work in any another localisation as well. Once you’ve understood how this “settings file” works, it’s not that difficult.

missing the “line” command, that runs the relevant scripts (usually from ~/.configure/zzzfm)?

No, these lines are not needed the way I have integrated it. Instead the scripts are expected to be placed within a properly named subfolder within scripts subfolder of the very folder you refer to, and they must be named exec.sh Please check the skel folder structure on git.

add the string that is obtained from geany’s localization file to antix-zzz-extension

This may follow in a later update. It can be done at any time from now on by changing a single variable of the respective entry/entries within the zzzfmlocalise script after the translation resource at transifex was set up and translated accordingly to provide the string.

for some reason that I never ever understood, zzzfm started demanding a double click to enter bookmarks- that was not the original behavior! Any light on that situation?

I also noticed this, and I have to admit: I’m glad it works that way now. How many times did I click on it unwanted to bring the window in front when all other parts of it were hidden behind other windows, and then my former selection was gone, because this single click to bring window up already opened the target of the bookmark.
                I have not searched for the entry, but when I stumble accidentally upon the answer to this question I’ll let you know. I reckon there is a specific switch in the session file which toggles this.
                Edit: Just found out, in GUI you can easily toggle this setting, there is another context menu when right clicking inside the “bookmarks” space, which has a submenu “Settings”, in which an entry “Single click” can be either checked or unchecked. Same goes for the “drives” space. Foreseeable this changes some variable within the session file from zero to one (or adds it with value 1, and removes it again when value is zero). I didn’t single out how it reads.

On next occasion I’m going to localise the date string of zzzFM file listings in the detailed view, it comes up in US-style YYYY-MM-DD always, which is annoying. Found out this actually is translatable, will add it to the zzzfmlocalise and antix-zzz-extensions resource, together with the geany string replacement you’ve proposed (even when the latter is not that urgent, since it works fine as it is).

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

@Robin – thanks for keeping me current about how zzzfm is progressing!

@All – I found the way to use, as the CC title bar icon, the same icon used in it’s .desktop file…

EDIT:
                  If we could find a way to show the correct title bar icon for app-select too, that would be striking gold (but that’s way above my league).
                  I never really though it was ok for apps to have one icon on their menu entry and then displaying a different icon as their title, when they are running… That is a tiny detail, that does not affect the usability of the OS at all, but makes it look a bit “unpolished”. It bugged the hell out of me when I started using antiX, I kept checking if I had clicked the right menu entry…

I’m trying to fix the “blurry icons” on the gtk version of IceWM Control Centre…

P.

PPC

@fladd – we all have out little quirks (as you see from my previous posts, I was consumed by something as trivial as the Control Centre title bar icon)… But I just noticed – by default firefox-esr also does not “obey the default IceWM theme”… So why do you pick with the default “archive manager”, and not with something as major as the default “web browser”??? I was just wondering about that

Robin

while trying to learn how to fix icewm control center title bar icon, I learned how to fix antiX CC titlebar icon!

I had added the respective entry for the antiX icon already some time ago, since this is an antiX control centre, not a gnome control centre. But the icon has to be a GTK named icon, so you have to register it with before it will appear. It’s actually that simple:

xdg-icon-resource install --novendor --mode system --size 48 '<path-to-the-icon-in-48x48.png>'
                      xdg-icon-resource install --novendor --mode system --size 24 '<path-to-the-icon-in-24x24.png>'

Then you can use it by its name in gtkdialog (without path and filename extension and size: antix-logo.png → antix-logo)

Maybe there is another way to mass register it, @anticapitalista knows how to do this, he tried to explain to me when talking about aCSTV icons registered by the postinst script one by one, but I didn’t get it, so antiX control centre was just waiting for him to register the very logo icon file in antiX as a named gtk icon. Then it would immediately be replace the default gtkdialog standard icon in taskbar and upper window border.

I doubt whether it is a good idea to use the gnome control center icon as a replacement, since it is already in use by some more applications and shows up as a placeholder icon also here. antiX control centre should have an unique antiX icon, logically this would be the antiX logo.

Robin

@PPC Please use latest version of antiX control centre for your icon testings, and please don’t mess with the ICONS= and ICONS2= entries, this will mess up things in multiple of its entries. In your last one above the ICONS2= entry was deactivated and the ICONS= entry changed.

PPC

@Robin, I’ll try tomorrow

@anticapitalista – I select new icons that display better in the bigger IceWM Control Center buttons… I think it is ready to go. The only thing that needs to be done is to put the new string, displayed in the top of the window, up for localization in Transifex…

EDIT: I’m exhausted and going to bed, but one last suggestion: why not doing like it was done the first time IceWM was interduced to antiX and replace the button that allows to manually edit the config files with IceWM CC?
                          Pros of doing this: one less button on the now getting overcrowded antiX CC and ICeWM CC does have the bottom button that does exactly the same thing that the “manually edit icewm config files” aCC button does; Also would make IceWM CC more visible- the first thing people see is the option to manually edit config files, not the GUI… (yes I know, it’s staring users in the face, right there in the toolbar, but at least one user missed that and complained about having to manually edit IceWM config files)
                          Only “con” of doing this: advanced users that like manually editing config files and are used to doing so from that aCC entry, would require one extra click…

EDIT2: @Robin, here you go…

P.

Robin

@Robin, I’ll try tomorrow

@PPC I just looked back into latest antiXcc, and noticed it was me who has goofed the icon setting in one of the latest updates (it was not working anyway before already). I had expected the icon-name= entry was missing and added it some time ago, overlooking that it was already present in the very line, but pointing to a non-existant named gnome icon. So I had added a duplicate entry unwanted. Sorry, will fix this immediately and add provide a unique “control-centre-antix.png” icon, so this will come up now looking the same way finaly, whatever desktop- or icon-theme you use.

PPC

@Robin – I just noticed the “Shared folders” tool-tip is wrong. What the script really does is “GUI to Access Samba Shared Folders on your Network”.
                              It does not allow the creation or management of shared folders!

P.

Robin

I just noticed the “Shared folders” tool-tip is wrong. What the script really does is “GUI to Access Samba Shared Folders on your Network”.
                                It does not allow the creation or management of shared folders!

@PPC I have no idea of this program, neither how it works nor what it does. This entry was added by anticapitalista, see
                                https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/control-centre-antix/-/commit/4fc74cb0c5ac2775f46a541a3bb53d3c62b2897f

Just have tried to make something of it, but seems it doesn’t do anything for me. After clicking it, it installed smbclient and nmap, and then displayed a tiny window with two lines, consisting of the local network IP address of my PC, followed by a folder or the name “nobody”. Trying to access the folder, it asked for login credentials, and I entered my username and password for the very PC. Then it told me it could not login. So I closed it, wanted to give it another try. Now the button doesn’t do anything anymore, and when calling the program antix_my_network_neighborhood on console manually it returns “Beendet” (translates back to something like “Terminated”) merely without doing anything obvious, even when asking it for help by “antix_my_network_neighborhood -h” or “–help”. Not sure how this is supposed to work. Did you have any success using it? I have the impression this thing is over-simplified, not explaining anything to a clueless user, expecting him to know what to enter or click where.

————
                                Edit: Sorry, @PPC, just noticed while looking into the code it is your script what is used by this entry. Wasn’t aware of this when writing the above lines… Please, could you guide me through what to do now when it exits without doing something?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Robin.

Robin

@PPC and @anticapitalista:
                                  Merge resuest !16 sent to fix the icon issue in antiX control centre finally. Sorry I hadn’t fixed it properly some time back, when adding the duplicate icon-name= statement to the gtk main dialog window tag. Have simply overlooked there already was a nonfunctional statement in the very line. Now it should work in all themes, since a unique icon is used, living in a folder from which named icons are created automatically(?) so it *should* work now. Here, in my testings it does.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 468 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.