antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 468 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Apr 25-9:00 pm by fladd.
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Yes, that fixes it.

I replaced the svg icons for png ones

IceMWCC uses only icons available, out of the box in antiX (or so I thought, for some reason, I had on my antiX 23.1 several icons that don’t come up in a “virgin” antiX 23.1).
      Will the latest version be uploaded to https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/icewm-goodies/ or does IceWMCC have it’s own git page now? When I have the time I would like to see what the icons look like, and also check out if they show up in antiX 22 (that I use on my work desktop computer).

P.

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

@PPC – that it the correct gitlab repo.
        I just updated it

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

@anticapitalista – Wow! It looks great! Many thanks! I only messed up when I selected antiXRadio’s “right arrow” icon as the “Collapse toolbar button on/off” entry- on computers without antiXRadio, only a “forbidden” sign will show up (as it always does, with gtk-dialog can’t find an icon). If you could also fix that, it would look perfect in antiX 21/22 and 23 (I hope, I’ve not tested the new script under antiX 23 or 23.1).

P.

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

@anticapitalista – Wow! It looks great! Many thanks! I only messed up when I selected antiXRadio’s “right arrow” icon as the “Collapse toolbar button on/off” entry- on computers without antiXRadio, only a “forbidden” sign will show up (as it always does, with gtk-dialog can’t find an icon). If you could also fix that, it would look perfect in antiX 21/22 and 23 (I hope, I’ve not tested the new script under antiX 23 or 23.1).

P.

@PPC – Done!

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

PPC

@PPC – Done!

Thanks! All icons of that GUI are displaying fine in antiX 22 now! The “arrow” icon is low res (and that’s why I replaced it with a better quality one), but still it’s better than nothing!
              At least, now, if I get hit by a truck, that GUI is 100% finished and fully working (or so I hope)!

On another subject:
              – Last week end, I installed antiX 23.1 “semi-final” version on an older laptop that will be used by a young girl that is now starting higher learning. I guess that computer came with Window 8, that got updated to 10, and it “worked”, but even after I removed the antivirus and made the device use MS generic AV, cleaned up it’s startup file, removed all the crap… Windows still raw slow very, very slow on that 3Gb of RAM, spinning disk laptop. It took over 4 minutes to finish booting. antiX boots in about 1 minute. In Windows, even starting the browser took it’s sweet time. On antiX in about 7-8 seconds, Chrome is already running.
              I set the device up just like a Windows user would expect: I disabled Conky, installed Chrome, installed MS365 on-line (that see requires to use in classe- of course she does), removed some information squares, cleaned up antiX menu, added icons for chrome and MS365 to the toolbar, desktop and personal menu entries (that are displayed on the first level of antiX menu)- so no matter what, she would always be able to find those “essential” apps. I was on a tight schedule… and I was almost turning off the computer when I noticed: no volume icon. Sound test: no sound.
              Disabled Pipewire and test sound: sound ok.
              Re-enable Pipewire and retest sound: no sound.
              So, the girl got antiX 23 fully working and set up just like she needs it for school… but running on pure alsa, with Pipewire disabled.
              When I get my hands back on that laptop again, I’ll try to check out why Pipewire failed to work- that was the first time that modern pipewire configuration failed to produce audio on any of my tests! If I have more info on that, I’ll post it here…

P.

Brian Masinick

Good reason to have the two alternatives we have available!

--
                Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

antiX-23.1 WILL be released in the next couple of days, I promise.
                  It will not include any of the init-diversity stuff – that will come later.

Brian Masinick

antiX-23.1 WILL be released in the next couple of days, I promise.
                    It will not include any of the init-diversity stuff – that will come later.

AWESOME! It’s been running great, including the recently added apps.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Robin

antiX Samba manager ready finally. Combed and brushed neatly for antiX 23.1

https://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/antix-samba-manager/-/tree/main?ref_type=heads

@anticapitalista: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/control-centre-antix/-/merge_requests/17

@PPC please check out, whether it connects to SMB1.0 shares properly, since this can’t be tested on my devices (this standard is not supported by recent antiX kernels currently).

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

@Robin – gksu source is here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gksu/-/tree/master?ref_type=heads

@anticapitalista: Couldn’t find the file in question in the above gksu sources. Probably you have them somewhere else?

German version of mo file header reads : “GKsu version 0.9.14″.
                        French .mo file contains 21 translated strings, as said, and its header reads “libgksu1.2-1.3.2″ instead.

None of them seems to live in the gksu git you’ve pointed to.
                        Research turned out, there must be a separate package for these translations:

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/libgksu.mo
                        libgksu2-0: /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/libgksu.mo
                        $ apt-cache policy libgksu2-0
                        libgksu2-0:
                          Installiert:           2.1.0
                          Installationskandidat: 2.1.0
                          Versionstabelle:
                         *** 2.1.0 500
                                500 http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/bookworm bookworm/main amd64 Packages
                                100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

File libgksu.mo reads (decompiled to libgksu.mo, complete file):

msgid ""
                        msgstr ""
                        "Project-Id-Version: GKsu 0.9.14\n"
                        "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
                        "PO-Revision-Date: 2003-11-18 21:19-0200\n"
                        "Last-Translator: Sebastian Heinlein <debian@pimpzkru.de>\n"
                        "Language-Team: German <gnome-de@gnome.org>\n"
                        "MIME-Version: 1.0\n"
                        "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n"
                        "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n"
                        msgid "<span weight=\"bold\" size=\"larger\">Type the root password.</span>\n"
                        msgstr ""
                        "<span weight=\"bold\" size=\"larger\">Geben Sie das root-Passwort ein.</"
                        "span>\n"
                        msgid "Wrong password."
                        msgstr "Falsches Passwort."

This is all what is in the german .mo file in antiX 23.1 still.

No wonder nothing translates…

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

@Robin – thank for antix-samba-manager and edits to control centre.

I forgot to update the gksu repo – all up to date now.

PPC

@Robin – SMB 1.0 never worked with my scripts, I always assumed it was too old for modern OSes…

I just tested your script to create and to access a shared folder in antiX 22 – it worked great.

Suggestions:
                            – by mistake I ended up sharing my home folder – wouldn’t it be wise to put a block on the script and not allow to share the home folder?
                            – In the passphrase field in the script that mounts samba shares, I advice not making the same mistake that I made, and have a small line explaining that users only need to type a password if that is required by the shared folder (eventually also explain that’s it’s that folder’s password, and not the user’s password)

Works great, interface can be polished later! 🙂

EDIT: I’ve been wracking my brains, thinking about features that could be added to antiX, so it would be more on pair with “Modern OSes”, and I’m coming up blank, anything “missing” can be added easily:
                            Video Composition– already installed, has a GUI to easily enable or disable it
                            System notifications– the unofficial FAQ’s recommend installing Dunst via Package Installer, if users require that feature, that uses a tiny bit of RAM, after being run for the first time in the session…
                            Automatic Updates– it’s not something I miss from other OSes, but the unofficial FAQ’s do explain how to install and enable that “feature”. I think it’s more advisable to just click the “antiX Updater” toolbar icon a couple of times a week.
                            Hot corners– it’s not something that I miss, but a forum user did develop a script that implemented that. Probably, in the future, I may try to integrate that feature in IceWM Control Center or in an individual script
                            Highlighting the mouse pointer– it’s just a tiny detail, some distracted users (or users with vision problems) miss- there’s am unofficial FAQ that points to how to implement that. It’s not exactly newbie level stuff, but also not rocket science
                            Easier integration of .appimages – sigh- that project was put on hold, when my old desktop computer broke, just before I did my backup (of course it had to be at that time)
                            – anticapitalista and (it seems 100% of) the community refused including a wrapper to Office365/ MS365 to antiX Package Installer. Any on-line office suite can be accessed from a modern web browser. I’m aware that LibreOffice and every other office available under Linux is a better alternative, an specially a more private one, than using that particular Web Office suite. But that’s what, for example, kids use in universities. I installed antiX on a laptop of a college student and guess what she wanted? She required MS Word and MS Powerpoint for her classes. No, saying “just download the files from the Web, work on them off line using LibreOffice and upload them to the cloud when you are finished” does not cut it, not for young kids raised on iphones and ipads… I may as well talk to her in an alien language. Most documents that students and office workers have to access or edit are on the cloud nowadays… on MS or Google cloud. It’s a fact of life. I worry more about helping people study and work than I worry about teaching them they are giving up on their privacy completely (and even signing their documents away to a big corporation)… So, yes, antiX users can use Ms Office on-line (free, student and, I assume, paid) either from a browser or from a very convenient wrapper, that I already mentioned somewhere else here in the forum. For non techies? antiX + Chrome + their required on-line office suit (particularly with an icon that makes accessing it easy) gets the job done for most students and workers. That’s true for any web service (like video streaming, audio streaming, social media (sigh), web apps, etc)
                            – From what I’ve read, Thunderbird e-mail client is in the process of allowing complete access to MS Exchange, so any Linux with a recent Thunderbird version installed will work perfectly under that setting.
                            – For those with powerful enough computers… Steam, Heroic Store, etc, allow them to play thousands of Windows only games on antiX

So, next time Windows tells you that it requires updating, do just that. Update it to antiX 23.1! 🙂 *

(*- DISCLAMER: antiX is enough for some +90% to 100% of normal computing most people do, most times. I always recommend keeping the original OS as a Dual Boot option, just in case you have to run an app or use hardware that just work on that OS)

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
                            • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
                            Robin

wouldn’t it be wise to put a block on the script and not allow to share the home folder?

No, the gist of it is, you can share any folder of your file system with it. You can e.g. share the home folder with password protected access to yourself only, mount it to another machine then, on which you want to copy the content over to… Purge the share from the config once you are done. Same goes if you want to copy over some system or config folders with subfolders. Since all shares and users accredited to access them are listed in the main window (double click a line to see share details), you have full control what is shared from your machine, and the manager allows to remove individual shares easily. I guess we don’t need to put up additional warning banners to warn users not to share something what they don’t want to share, that is something self evident.

Btw, you can give access even to users not currently having an account on your system, just by typing their names into the name field. antiX Samba manager will guide you through setting up what is needed (Users must be registered to a local account, but don’t need a home folder.). You can key in multiple users into the field at once, mandatory separated by a comma and a blank, to make a share available to all of them.

Btw, your original version can live the same time on a system, so you don’t need to rewrite anything in your FT10. I’ve renamed the new version of the mounter part script to antiX-mount-samba-shares. You can still run it as a standalone, if you only want to mount something, then it will not display the “back” button and look mostly the same as your original, except for displaying the network (LAN) being searched in list header, and not displaying shares set up on the own device. A tooltip explains user what to do in this window besides staring at a list.

SMB 1.0 … it was too old for modern OSes

There are many many hardware devices like hardware media players/home media servers out in the wild, capable and still in use, which never get a firmware update to SMB 2.x or 3.x from the manufacturers, so I do really hope antiX can include the patch mentioned some postings above into it’s future kernels, so SMBv.1.0-only-devices can be accessed again. We don’t want to support forced obsolescence in the end…

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

There are many many hardware devices like hardware media players/home media servers out in the wild, capable and still in use, which never get a firmware update to SMB 2.x or 3.x from the manufacturers, so I do really hope antiX can include the patch mentioned some postings above into it’s future kernels, so SMBv.1.0-only-devices can be accessed again. We don’t want to support forced obsolescence in the end…

The patch fails to build on 5.10 kernel.
                                It fails on 6.1 as well.

olsztyn

PPC wrote:
                                  SMB 1.0 … it was too old for modern OSes

I do not understand these statements, I do admit this… It is probably because I did not dig enough into the history behind this reported previously.

I have several SMB servers in my computer room and SMB 1.0 servers among them. I experience no problems accessing shares on SMB 1.0 servers. Neither from antiX (all existing versions) nor Windows 10. Default is SMB 2.0, so access parameter must include SMB=1.0, such as on Connectshares. This was explained by SamK about three years ago.
                                  Now, the above my statement relates to access to SMB 1.0 shares from client side. If the discussion about inability of modern OS’s support SMB 1.0 as Samba server, then I cannot make such claim about being able to publish SMB 1.0 shares by either antiX or other OS’s… In such case I must have misunderstood and apologize for not spending the time to read history of discussed issues…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 469 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.