antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 467 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Feb 26-9:42 pm by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 468 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I have several SMB servers in my computer room and SMB 1.0 servers among them. I experience no problems accessing shares on SMB 1.0 servers. Neither from antiX (all existing versions) nor Windows 10. Default is SMB 2.0, so access parameter must include SMB=1.0, such as on Connectshares.

I don’t have hardware media players/home media servers that use SMB. All the times I used a SMB was to access Shared folders on one of my computers from another device (another computer or a phone). When I developed the GUI to automatically mount Shared Folders, I got the feedback that it failed to work with SMB 1.0… That was long ago, but I think that something like SMB 1.X works fine, just not “version 1”. Since I don’t have hardware devices that come with SMB, and I never was able to make ConnectShares detect any shared folder that I set up, I have no experience on that particular subject. Please, if you can, test Robin’s script that mounts shares and report back if it works for your devices or not (it they use SMS 1.0 they should not work under that script, specially if using a modern Kernel).

P.

olsztyn

Please, if you can, test Robin’s script that mounts shares and report back if it works for your devices or not (it they use SMS 1.0 they should not work under that script, specially if using a modern Kernel).

Where is that script?
        Is it available in antiX updates? I do not seem to find it…
        Regarding kernel, I do not have any issue accessing SMB 1.0 using 5.10 or 6.1 kernel.

EDIT:
        I found something named ‘Shared Folders’, which seems to execute ‘antix-my-network-neighborhood’.
        Upon starting it says that will install smbclient and nmap but seems to close after clicking ‘OK’.
        Installing smbclient separately entails installation of libelogind0, which I would rather not do, to keep antiX systemd/libelogind0 – free.
        The above is on antiX 23 fully updated.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

PPC

Where is that script?

antiX Samba manager ready finally. Combed and brushed neatly for antiX 23.1

https://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/antix-samba-manager/-/tree/main?ref_type=heads

P.

Brian Masinick

@PPC on your matter of running alternative office suites, and my own experiences in a senior citizen community, sometimes people who really don’t know very much buy Apple Computer products, iPhones and Imac systems. Then when they create office documents, they typically use whatever those suites provide. It could be that these suites offer features that publishers and experts use, but I doubt it; I’ve seen a few of the works, and though perhaps a publisher could and would do something with it, most of these users would probably be better off using “Google Docs”. I know the average “free software user” HATES Microsoft, Apple, AND Google, but from a practical standpoint, the “Google Docs” stuff produces really good, basic documents and can save in a variety of formats.

When I have to READ one of those Apple produced documents, I’ve found that LibreOffice is capable of reading practically anything, and then it’s pretty good about saving to other formats, including ODT, ODF, doc, docx, and also the good old PDF so that nobody will mess it up unless they’re really good themselves and obtain a tool to actually edit or re-edit otherwise read-only PDF documentation.

So my two go-to office tools, especially when fixing other people’s messes are: 1) LibreOffice: it can handle the vast majority of modern formats from a wide variety of sources, 2) Google Docs: some people will say it’s from one of those high profit making companies, but for novice writers, Docs is a safe choice for moderate complexity documentation with nice formatting and Sheets is a very acceptable alternative to Microsoft Excel for moderately complex spreadsheets.

If I don’t need a “go-to” office tool, I find that Geany does an excellent job for editing plain text documents or scripts.

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

The Problem when a novice uses fancy Apple to write any document, the novice does not realize that they MAY be able to save their document in a format that others can read and use, but Problem users who don’t know what they are doing do not understand much; they are WAY over their heads with these products.

One such person, who bought some fancy Apple product (an iPhone I believe) a few years ago, recently saw me and said, “You were right; I didn’t NEED this phone and a simple Android phone would have been better. My wife has a Samsung A53 or A54; I go with Google Pixel models; they have LESS commercial software; in fact, a new system doesn’t come with much at all and therefore you can install whatever you want; that’s what I do.

As far as communicating, I write stuff mostly from antiX; I don’t use the editing stuff on the phone except to write short notes in a browser; that is sufficient.

Most of this stuff I can type directly into our forum software; if I’m concerned about “losing” anything, I write it in any editor, usually Geany, then paste it into the forum; today I write this directly in our forum text widget.

--
              Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

antiX-23.1 WILL be released in the next couple of days, I promise.
                It will not include any of the init-diversity stuff – that will come later.

While building antiX-base versions, IceWm control centre has too many missing icons.
                This will delay the final releases.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

antiX-base versions, IceWm control centre

Suggestion: if Base does not include the set time and date GUI, why include IceWM CC? Probably it makes more sense, in a more basic version, to include the GUI to set the time but not a GUI that allows users to easily configure details of the Window Manager (that more advanced users can do editing config files, from antiXCC)

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by PPC.
                  Brian Masinick

antiX-23.1 WILL be released in the next couple of days, I promise.
                    It will not include any of the init-diversity stuff – that will come later.

While building antiX-base versions, IceWm control centre has too many missing icons.
                    This will delay the final releases.

No problem, I am always confident in your work and the choices that you make.

--
                    Brian Masinick

olsztyn

@PPC:
                      Thanks for the link to the scrip per @Robin’s post. However this link points to a GitHub, where it seems not clear whether it includes the script you are referring to.
                      In particular the instructions tell me to find there three files, copy them to /bin, etc:

Copy the three script files from bin into /usr/local/bin folder of your system and make them executable:

antiX-samba-mgr
                      antiX-mount-samba-shares
                      antiX-setup-samba-shares

Make sure the dependencies are installed:

yad
                      cifs-utils
                      smbclient

However, as much as this seems similar or the same to existing ‘Shared Folders’, it still entails installation of libelogind0, which I am cautious to not install, as a dependency of smbclient, which is required per script installation instructions copied above.
                      Did you mean to proceed with installation of libelogind0? If so then I will create a separate test environment for this to test…

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

it still entails installation of libelogind0

It does not install any elogind components

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

It does not install any elogind components

Interesting…
                          So there is an antiX libelogind0-free version of smbclient? It must be then in antiX repo, which keeps coming back to me with a missing release file:

The repository ‘http://la.mxrepo.com/antix bookworm Release’ does not have a Release file.

Should I change to a different antiX repo?

Edit:
                          I am running antiX 23 fully updated here.
                          I will re-install antiX 23.1, released on January 26 (on a separate machine) and see if it picks up the libeelogind0-free antiX version of smbclient.

Robin

@anticapitalista Translations will be available soon. Just struggling with the new gettext style I have had the nerve to apply. Now, while checking the extracted string files (.pot), I noticed the new gettext style translation simply has skipped half of the strings arbitrarily, no pattern what makes it fail, since syntax is fine. Worse than that: NO ERROR MESSAGE. What the heck?

I’ll have to manually check all of them whether present in the .pot files or not, and then change the method for the failing strings to the old gettext style in the script, since a test has revealed: with the old style marking the very strings are recognised immediately. Then just the extractor complains about “deprecated” marking style. Can’t help it. Let him complain… We’ll have to solve this in a future update some day.

Sorry, I had planned to have the resource at transifex already this evening, but gettext new style localisation has foiled this completely. Will be up as soon as possible.

Btw, some additional bugfixes will come (expectable by that much lines of new script code), some typos have slipped my attention still. Squashing the leftover bugs with next update at git.

@olsztyn : start the suite with the antiX-samba-mgr script. This is the base script, embracing the others, which are called when pressing the respective buttons within its UI. But you can call antiX-mount-samba-shares as a standalone script also if you just want to mount a share from within your LAN (it will hide its back button then).

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

olsztyn

@olsztyn : start the suite with the antiX-samba-mgr script. This is the base script, embracing the others, which are called when pressing the respective buttons within its UI. But you can call antiX-mount-samba-shares as a standalone script also if you just want to mount a share from within your LAN (it will hide its back button then).

Thanks. I think I will figure this out how to locate and download the script you are referring to. Before that I will make sure smbclient used in that process is the right one, because the one being installed as a dependency is not, because it pulls in libelogind0 as dependency.
                              Anticapitalista is saying there is an smbclient version that does not install any elogind stuff, which must be in antiX repo, but that one gives me an error of missing Release file, as I reported above. I do not know what is causing this so I will re-download antiX 23.1, release on January 26 and test on that one, rather than on antiX 23 fully updated.
                              Once I get over the hurdle of pulling in libelogind0 as smbclient dependency I should have no problems testing.

techore

I feel obligated to share but not judging if you use it. Honest! 😀

smb 1.0: IBM 1983, OS/2 1990, and Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 1992
                                  smb 2.0: Microsoft 2006
                                  smb 2.1: Microsoft 2009
                                  smb 3.0: Microsoft 2013
                                  smb 1.0: 2013 vulnerabilities resulted with smb 1.0 being disabled in many products and organizations due to ongoing exploits.

Just a few of the past incident related to SMB.

2014, Brambul worm and Sony Pictures attack
                                  2017, WannaCry ransom cryptoworm
                                  2020, SMBGhost and SBMBleed exploits = Remote Code Exploit; 300,000 computer across 150 countries with damages estimated to be somewhere to hundreds of millions to billions USD and attributed to N. Korea.
                                • This reply was modified 2 months ago by techore.
                                Robin

I think I will figure this out how to locate and download the script you are referring to.

Maybe this helps:
                                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-samba-manager/#post-133805

Anticapitalista is saying there is an smbclient version that does not install any elogind stuff

For me it reads this way, when simply installing it with apt.

$ apt-cache policy smbclient
                                  smbclient:
                                    Installiert:           2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1
                                    Installationskandidat: 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1
                                    Versionstabelle:
                                       2:4.19.4+dfsg-3~bpo12+1 100
                                          100 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports/main amd64 Packages
                                   *** 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1 500
                                          500 http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/bookworm bookworm/nosystemd amd64 Packages
                                          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                                       2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1 500
                                          500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
                                          500 http://security.debian.org bookworm-security/main amd64 Packages
                                       2:4.17.9+dfsg-0+deb12u3 500
                                          500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates/main amd64 Packages

Maybe your system insists to install the more recent 2:4.19.4+dfsg-3~bpo12+1 version from debian directly? In this case, just force the install of the older nosystemd version by:

apt-get install smbclient=2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 468 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.