antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1 coming soon [actually, it is AVAILABLE!]

• This topic has 467 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated Feb 26-9:42 pm by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 468 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

Maybe your system insists to install the more recent 2:4.19.4+dfsg-3~bpo12+1 version from debian directly? In this case, just force the install of the older nosystemd version by:

Thank you @Robin…
      It does insist on installing the Debian version of smbclient but it is because I am getting a missing Release file error on antiX Bookworm repo I mentioned above. I am not sure how to fix it so I have re-downloaded antiX 23.1 as released on January 26 and this one does have access to antiX Bookworm repo.
      Looking at content there is a nosystemd version of smbclient there, so anticapitalista was not pulling my leg…
      I am trying to get your script now and install to test SMB access to shares on my NAS servers…
      Thank you for help and I will keep updating…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

olsztyn

Maybe this helps:
        https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-samba-manager/#post-133805

Thanks @Robin for this reference of links but they appear to be dead (404 Page not found). I thought perhaps Adblocker plays games here so unblocked everything and still 404 Page not found…

Edit:
        But looks like the one @PPC pointed me to above link to your github seems live so I will try to find the script there…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Robin

but they appear to be dead (404 Page not found)

Many thanks for making me aware. Fixed. Sorry. My fault, I had copy-and-pasted the links from my notepad, and they were outdated, since the file names have changed (huge X in antiX)

Direct download links work now, some additional screenshots attached; this is what it should come up like.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

olsztyn

@Robin:
            Thanks for your help in finding the right script. I found it on your GitHub.

Summary of my process and testing:
            – I am getting a missing Release file on antiX Bookworm LA repo for some reason, so I re-downloaded antiX 23.1 as released on January 26. This one had no problem with a missing Release file.
            I needed access to antiX repo in order to install no-systemd version of smbclient, created by anticapitalista, otherwise the Debian version insisted on installation of libelogind0.
            – After getting no-systemd version of smbclient, nmap and cifs-utils, downloaded and installed your scripts, such as antiX-smb-mgr.

Results of testing of smb-manager against my NAS servers, executed from a terminal window:
            – Script appears to probe various IP addresses for existence of smb shares, whether there are smb servers on them or not, so such as routers are being probed as well.
            – smb manager is able to find all shares on my three SMB 2 NAS servers
            – It is not detecting any shares on my two SMB 1.0 NAS servers
            – It lets me connect to shares on SMB 2 NAS servers.

In summary, SMB Manager works very well on SMB 2. It did not see SMB 1 shares.

Personally, I am using fstab spec to connect to my SMB shares, whether SMB 1 or SMB 2. So I do necessarily depend for this on SMB Manager. But it would be great if this functionality could be made work on SMB 1 servers as well, as this utility seems very good as designed, and very helpful if you might not know what shares are there, available for connection.
            As Linux systems, including antiX have no problem connecting to SMB 1 shares, even Windows 10 does this easily, just needs to be enabled explicitly.
            On antiX I am able to connect to SMB 1 (or SMB 2)in several ways:
            – Defining shares in fstab
            – Pointing to SMB shares in file managers
            – Connectshares on antiX CC.

However this SMB Manager is dynamic, which is a significant advantage in usablity. It finds shares on the fly. It is very helpful, so would be nice to make it work for SMB 1 as well…

Thank you @Robin and @PPC…

olsztyn

smb 1.0: 2013 vulnerabilities resulted with smb 1.0 being disabled in many products and organizations due to ongoing exploits.

True (of course) that many publicly exposed organizations were phasing out SMB 1 servers.
              However SMB 1 has not been disabled in operating systems and client software but more strictly speaking SMB 2+ was enabled by default and SMB 1 had to be enabled explicitly. Such is e.g Win 10, where you need to check box SMB 1, when you want it. On Linux, such as antiX using Connectshares you specify SMB Version=1.

Many people bought over time NAS server boxes, where they run their RAID 1 file servers and these servers continue to work well, especially in locally controlled networks. Not being publicly exposed any such security exploits do not matter in home or office servers. Two of my five running NAS boxes are SMB 1 and they will continue as SMB 1 until their circuity is dead, because hard disks, being a part of RAID 1 can be replaced as they fail, so you have spares…
              My third SMB 1 NAS box I damaged myself by unintentional causing voltage spike, so the motherboard was fried. For accidents like this I have several SMB 2 NAS boxes sitting as spares in the computer room storage…

Robin

– It is not detecting any shares on my two SMB 1.0 NAS servers

We can try to address and fix this later in an update, once the initial release for the 23.1 ISO completed. Probably these NAS propagate their shares via NetBIOS which is disabled by default, so they won’t show up in the results, and you have to know the addresses. If you read the future plans over in the other thread, you’ll find the word NetBIOS somewhere already.

On antiX I am able to connect to SMB 1

Many thanks @olsztyn for this. This made me retest the vers=1.0 statement, and it turned out I had misinterpreted the error message. Actually it wasn’t client side, but the server didn’t support 1.0 protocol (for good reason. @techore is perfectly right. This outdated standard shouldn’t be used when not really really needed and no other way gives access to the data.) For testing I changed the server to accept 1.0 connections, and voilà, mount.cifs command on antiX can connect with vers=1.0 statement immediately to it.

The patch fails to build on 5.10 kernel.
                It fails on 6.1 as well.

@anticapitalista: So obviously the patch made it already into the default linux kernels, even when the statements all over the web read different. Sorry I made you invest time in it trying to build the thing. I completely missed the possibility that my server could reject the request (since I was used to see 1.0 connections work if explicitly requested by e.g. a Win 2000 client in a virtual box. But this was some time ago, so the updates obviously have changed the defaults at some point in time, which I hadn’t noticed.) I was sure my server would accept 1.0 connections if explicitly requested by a client.

@anticapitalista This means, some important details in antiX samba manager scripts have to be revised. Please wait for this, so the ISO doesn’t include the wrong statements and partly wrong mount commands.
                Have solved the gettext issue also, and I’m going to complete the .pot files on top speed this evening. Hopefully. These are hundreds of strings to be looked up in the more than 1500 code lines, and to be checked and variables in them masked differently, to avoid new gettext style not to fail silently on them. All manually, I guess there is no regex pattern which could catch them (at least I can’t construct it in a reasonable amount of time). Then I’ll put up the resource to transifex.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

@Robin – too late I’m afraid re samba app as I have uploaded 12 of the 16 iso files.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Robin

too late I’m afraid

That’s really bad news. Just spotted a goofed qouting, causing mounter script to create an additional folder in current working dir, named ‘”‘ I had overlooked the new folder between all the other stuff residing there. Sorry.
                    This is fixed, but now this bug is in the ISOs.

ile

hello anticapitalista
                      md5sum 0bb8c21cce073f37f394ca9353c8672e 23.1 runit full 64
                      trialed the minstall –oem.
                      No oobe; did not run –oobe.
                      result is installed user demo atantix1,
                      installed no root account,
                      swap file 3GiB,

(will install over this now,)
                      edit: installed now runit, ,
                      edit2: frozen suspend, frozen slimski, did not troubleshoot it,
                      installed 8bd138304340e3e7cf78f161cf59cd54 antiX-23.1_x64-full.iso now.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by ile.
                      • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by ile.
                      Brian Masinick

The completed antiX 23.1 image looks good; as far as the items missing or inaccurate, I’m sure a package update will resolve those matters. Meanwhile I am using the brand new antiX 23.1 Full runit x64 image, which I downloaded, checked out and partially installed my personal environment while running live, then I installed it, finished my personal configurations and I am continuing to use the new image, which is working extremely well.

--
                        Brian Masinick

olsztyn

olsztyn wrote:
                          On antiX I am able to connect to SMB 1

Many thanks @olsztyn for this. This made me retest the vers=1.0 statement, and it turned out I had misinterpreted the error message. Actually it wasn’t client side, but the server didn’t support 1.0 protocol (for good reason. @techore is perfectly right. This outdated standard shouldn’t be used when not really really needed and no other way gives access to the data.) For testing I changed the server to accept 1.0 connections, and voilà, mount.cifs command on antiX can connect with vers=1.0 statement immediately to it.

Did the fixed version (to connect to SMB 1.0) of SMB Manager make it into the Final (released yesterday) antiX 23.1?
                          I could not find it in the antiX 23.1, unless it is a different name now…
                          Thanks again for identifying the cause of the issue…

Edit:
                          If the name as showing in the menu continues to be ‘Shared Folders’, then the ‘Shared Folders does not seem to work correctly, whether SMB 1 or SMB 2.
                          So I was hoping for ‘SMB Manager’ to make it into antiX 23 update or antiX 23.1, which seemed to work, at least with SMB 2, if it cannot be fixed to work with SMB 1 devices.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by olsztyn.

fladd

Dear fladd, I’m not a part of the Dev team, but here it goes:

Thanks, I appreciate that.

1. The “zzzFM bug” I think it’s not really zzzfm’s, but it’s (partly) a problem with the default gtk theme. Edit2: Sadly, zzzfm’s creator is no longer with us, so we require someone with know-how, in order to change the way zzzfm manages the kind of deviders that are shown when there are no tabs vs when showing tabs… Can you try to help out with that?

I am happy to help with that if I somehow can. Let me know what you need me to do for this.

2. antiXRadio has been fixed, please update antiX 23.1, to get the latest bug free (I hope) version.

okay, thanks

3- Any typos and missing spaces in antiXTV I assume are in your language (I’m guessing it’s not English). If possible, please help fix that in Transifex. If it opens a “tiny window” it’s because that TV stream is extremely low resolution and/or you have a very high dpi screen (please see Robin’s posts below this one about that)

Language was left at default (English). It was mainly missing spaces after punctuation and these kind of things. Nothing terrible, but also looked very unfinished.

4- anticapitalista likes Archive manager and antiX uses his default software choices. Feel free to install any other archive manager and make it the default for your systems! I do change many defaults myself…

Yes, I can of course do that, and also will. It just looks completely out of place. I just wish there was a version of Antix that had no software preinstalled (just the Antix tools and X, and maybe IceWM). Never succeeded in installing X and IceWM from core…

5. About the “default IceWM theme”- I created it (well, mostly adapted it from other sources), and tried to make it use “sane” defaults, like always highlighting the selections with the similar colors (like menu entries, toolbar entries, etc). By design it does not change the title of the color bar of active windows simply because I don’t like that myself. You can easily notice which window has focus because it’s the one with brighter title and minimize, restore and maximize buttons… all the other windows show that in dark grey. I have terrible eye sight, and I tested that on some 5 screens… and I can always tell what is the active window, simply looking at the window buttons (if they are white, the window had focus, if they are grey it does not have focus). No one ever complained about that before… also, I think it’s quite similar to what MS Windows uses (on that I agree with MS’s design choice, and I don’t really recall if Windows highlights the focused window title bar). Once again, if you don’t like it, change the default theme to another one you like. We can’t please everyone…

I think a lot of desktops (including MS Windows) do this nowadays, but that doesn’t make it a good choice. I understand, however, that Antix is trying to go for a modern look here (form over function) to attract new users that are familiar with this design. That is of course fine if this is a conscious choice. Just wanted to check.

EDIT1: I’m glad to see you around! I’ve been meaning to ask you about that script you developed to edit the colors of themes… maybe that can be implemented in IceWM control centre, in the future…
                            P.

Yes, possibly it can. I was, however, not entirely satisfied with how it turned out, and (after some things fixed on the IceWM side) I am working on a new version of my themes and the script (might still take some time though until this is finished, as I have very little time currently). If I manage to do this before the next release (23.2 or 24.0), we can certainly think about integrating it into the control center!

3. AntixTV has typos and missing spaces before punctuation in the text it shows…

In which language are you using it? In case you are talking about the English master translation, please head over to https://app.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/acstv-antix-community-simple-tv-starter/ and fix what you find inappropriate in the English translations for en_GB and en_US. Same goes for all other languages.

It was English.

… When you click on a station it opens a tiny video player,…

Please double click the tv window to make it fullscreen. To make this your permanent default, click open aCSTV “settings” and check the box “start playback in fullscreen”.
                            Btw, what monitor resolution do you use? In windowed mode It is set up for using approx. half of screen width and hight automatically. You may resize it by pressing Alt+F8, make sure mouse curser is right of it, then press right arrow key → once, and then move the mouse. When the window has reached the size you prefer, click left.
                            Alternatively use one of the tiling options from the player tray icon context menu, e.g. “upper half” to have the window resized. This will scale the OSD controls of MPV the same time.

…with tiny window decorations and tiny controls, very hard to use.

This window is meant to be controlled by keys. Please click open the “program help” within aCSTV’s settings to learn what keys can be used.
                            Short reference (only most important, way more to be found in the manual):

f = fullscreen
                            space = pause/resume
                            m = mute
                            0 and 9 = decrease and increase volume
                            5 and 6 = adjust Gamma for the video playback
                            - = bring up aCSTV control while playing
                            q = stop current station and bring up aCSTV control again
                            b = exit aCSTV

aCSTV uses a modern borderless design. If you want it coming up in classic style with distracting and space-occupying default window borders, just start it with command line option -r and in order to make this your personal default setting, edit the Exec= line in it’s .desktop file accordingly.

Thanks for the detailed response.
                            Monitor resolution was 1440×900. The problem was also less the size of the window itself, rather than the tiny window decoration and play controls. It indeed looked like a non-scaled app on a scaled desktop (but there was no scaling happening on my side).

Please keep in mind the 23.1 ISO you have downloaded is still a testing ISO.
                            Additionally, please make sure to update antiX 23.1 testing you have installed or run from the ISO to the current state from the repos, e.g. using

sudo apt-get update
                            sudo apt-get upgrade

This will fix lots of issues already you’ve mentioned, which have been addressed last days/weeks.

Yes, good point, I didn’t update before testing.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by fladd.
                            • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by fladd.
                            fladd

The Archive manager is still a weird Gnome app, with a header bar and its own (light) style that does not follow a user’s theme…

So what? Many of the tools don’t follow the themes, either partly or completely. Set-date-and-time, aCSTV (this one you can force into displaying borders by adding -r command line option to the call), parts of antiX control centre (which come up borderless), antiX acoustic colours (also borderless in latest update, to save some space on screen), even unplugdrive (also this once you can force into bordered mode by adding -d to the call). I’ll stop here the listing, there are way more.

I think the control centre not having borders is different to a native Gnome app with header bars that doesn’t adapt to the rest of the desktop. In the past you could use Gnome apps without issues in other environments, but since Gnome 40 and the move to GTK3 this is just not the case anymore. Gnome apps are developed for Gnome and will look out of place everywhere else. It’s a choice the Gnome developers have made, and it’s fine if you want to use Gnome, but I just wouldn’t force this on a user.

…and is not even in line with the default Antix theme either, which is dark!)

For me the archivemanager comes up dark without any quirks. Hadn’t to convince it, it came just up dark after setting my dark default theme on antiX 23.1. See screenshot. So you are obviously wrong here, or the theme you use isn’t fit for it.

So, you get a dark window decoration on your custom theme, and if I am reporting that the default theme (just after boot) results in a light one, I am “obviously” wrong…sure…a bit of an overly aggressive response, but okay…

I still thinks this should be replaced with one of the many other much better options out there.

For me it works fine. Don’t see any reason why it should be replaced. Is there a specific archive manager you have in mind, which is as lightweight and comes with a functionality superior to the current selection?

Again, yes, it works, but it uses an entirely different UI paradigm, with entirely different ergonomics. Just as an example, the “Extract” button, for instance, is a label (so not a button at all!) in the main window at the top left (in the title bar actually!) for some reason, instead of in a menu(bar), where actions have been since 30 years. Every time I open an archive on Antix it throws me off and I have to search around for how to actually continue.

Every other archive manager that has a normal UI paradigm and layout would do here as an alternative. XArchiver for instance.

cakbowo

Does trashcan only work on the root partition ?

I have 2 partitions, sda1 (root) and sda3 (data). And if I delete files on sda3, the files don’t go to trashcan.

Thanks

PPC

Does trashcan only work on the root partition ?

No.
                                  It works on all disk partitions, but the Trash bookmark included in zzzfm only displays the Trash folder for the root partition. The (hidden) trash folder is created in any partition where you “send files to trash” from (yes, even in flash-drives, so be careful, so they don’t run out of space because their trash folder is “full”)
                                  A while ago someone, reported about the same thing you just did. There’s a workl-around available in https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/possibly-dangerous-behavior-of-antix-please-can-somebody-confirm/#post-128437 that allows easy access to the Trash folders for all mounted partitions, “fixing” the default zzzfm Trash bookmark. That will, in the future, probably be a small improvement added to zzzfm…

EDIT: also, antiX 23.1 final already came out. Please post on that thread, this one is really no longer needed to be “open” (the Moderators will probably close this thread, sooner or later)

EDIT2:
                                  If you are afraid to edit your zzzfm bookmarks, you can simply run the command mentioned on that post on a terminal. It will open the root partition trash folder in zzzfm and also any existing trash folders on other mounted partitions:

zzzfm ~/.local/share/Trash/files
                                  find /media -type d -name .Trash-* -exec zzzfm '{}/files' \;

NOTE: for now, if you wish to restore from the trash folder that is in not in the root partition, the “restore” contextual menu does appear. You will have to cut and paste (or drag and drop) the file or folder from the trash to where you want it restored. Not as convenient, but the feature is still there…

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 468 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.