antiX-23.1-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 212 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Dec 24-7:49 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 213 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji

I tried your liqourix suggestion on the shop 23.1 64bit beta install Brian. Using liqourix net instruction command. End result was error dpkg 1 so spent awhile cleaning that up.
      So far the 6.1 kernel suffices on here and I have the 5.10 for backup.

This box was 30 bucks here PPC with free shipping. I am just glad it works. I bet that tap to click default drove you up a wall.
      It is a fast box. I’ll give it that with the 128gig ssd it came with. Stock these come with 32 gig.
      I had the beta1 usb pen drive available so that is why this is on here. I don’t feel like looking for sysvinit 23 version .

What is nice is the seller threw in the stock keyboard and mouse.

Edit: Forgot test results. Sound working OK after reboot. I’ll mention sound is real important to me. I use the youtube harley davidson maintenance videos because it is hard to remember everything. I try to turn off pipewire in antiXcc but inxi -A shows it is still turned on. DUH. Don’t tell me I need to move the green slider. Duh.

[/url]

harry@shop:~
      $ inxi -A
      Audio:
        Device-1: AMD Kabini HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
        Device-2: AMD FCH Azalia driver: snd_hda_intel
        Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes
        Sound Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.0 running: yes

Have to yet dig up a bluetooth usb to test. That is all for now.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by rokytnji.
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
      Not all who Wander are Lost.
      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

It’s the system that I have the very strange problem that refuses to work with all antiX final versions (but works fine with some betas)- auto log-in refuses to work, even in live mode… Other than that (and the fact that 23.1 test iso 2 requires me to toggle pipewire off and back on) it works like a charm!

In case you are trying 23.1 test iso 2 on a laptop – the default configuration does not have “tap to click” on the touchpad enabled by default – my netbook has a busted left click button – imagine the fun I had when I tried using that version on that netbook! 🙂 The fix was provided on this thread, by D.O.

Unless I missed it, I do not think there is an antiX 23.1 test 2 ISO image available; to my knowledge, only antiX 23.1 runit Full test 1 is available.

antiX 23 has “Beta 2” but it makes no sense to use it because antiX 23 has been released for several months.
        https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Testing/

antiX 23 has the full array of choices.
        https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/antiX-23/ – you can select the runit folder or choose an image directly from this site.

antiX 23.1 Testing has this access point:
        https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/ and it contains a single image: antiX-23.1-runit_x64-full.iso

--
        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Well I was going edit my above post but Brian replied. Here goes.

Moved the green slider to off. Was asked for password. Checked inxi -A. Pipewire still running. Does this require logout or reboot?

Brian Masinick

I tried your liqourix suggestion on the shop 23.1 64bit beta install Brian. Using liqourix net instruction command. End result was error dpkg 1 so spent awhile cleaning that up.
            So far the 6.1 kernel suffices on here and I have the 5.10 for backup.

This box was 30 bucks here PPC with free shipping. I am just glad it works. I bet that tap to click default drove you up a wall.
            It is a fast box. I’ll give it that with the 128gig ssd it came with. Stock these come with 32 gig.
            I had the beta1 usb pen drive available so that is why this is on here. I don’t feel like looking for sysvinit 23 version .

What is nice is the seller threw in the stock keyboard and mouse.

I just put the Liquorix image Host: antix1-23.1
            Kernel: 6.6.7-1-liquorix-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
            on this Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.4
            Distro: antiX-23.1-runit_x64-full Arditi del Popolo 6 November 2023.

I got failures too, but I got around it this way:
            1) I booted into another kernel and then I ran
            sudo apt install –reinstall linux-image-6.6.7-1-liquorix-amd64
            and then rebooted.
            2) after reboot I was able to do a normal sequence
            alias u=’sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo update-grub;sudo apt-get autoremove’
            for me, I type u and press Enter.
            I also have
            alias ur=’sudo apt-get autoremove’
            so what I generally run after login is
            u;ur and that takes care of things the vast majority of the time.

When it doesn’t I run some sudo apt-get -f install commands, and
            occasionally, like this case, I think I got rid of both the header
            file for this kernel and the linux-image-liquorix-amd64 and
            linux-headers-liquorix-amd64

Usually those work, but I’ve set up a couple of these in the
            past week, and I’ve taken out both of the meta packages and
            the header files, at least “until the dust settles”.

For me, the initrd file then was created when I ran
            sudo update-grub. See if getting rid of the extras, then
            update-grub works. If it does, GREAT, you get the kernel.
            If NOT, either forget it or try running one of their other
            kernels.

There are quite a few version 6+ Liquorix kernels:

linux-image-6.4.15-2-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.4 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.5.11-4-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.5 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.1-1-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.2-1-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.3-1-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.3-2-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.4-1-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.5-1-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.6-1-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs
            linux-image-6.6.7-1-liquorix-amd64 - Linux 6.6 for 64-bit PCs

are several of them.

IF the Liquorix kernels completely let you down, this one has
            been great for me:
            linux-image-6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64.

In any case, LOTS of choices; our 6.1.60 antiX kernel is very solid too.

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Well I was going edit my above post but Brian replied. Here goes.

Moved the green slider to off. Was asked for password. Checked inxi -A. Pipewire still running. Does this require logout or reboot?

I’ve not experienced issues with Pipewire so I have not turned it off.
              When I’m listening to something and I don’t hear sound, the first thing I check is the built-in audio mixer on the task bar
              and make sure that the speakers or the headset I’m using are selected.

Just now I clicked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMFA81RA08 to see if sound is working
              and that was a decent test; it works in the Firefox 120.0.1 (64-bit) browser.

--
              Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
              rokytnji

OK logout suffices when turning off pipewire in antiXcc. I tested youtube. I still have sound.

$ inxi -A
                Audio:

Brian Masinick

OK logout suffices when turning off pipewire in antiXcc. I tested youtube. I still have sound.

$ inxi -A
                  Audio:

EXCELLENT!

--
                  Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                  rokytnji

I forgot to run alsamixer. When turning off pipewire. The computer speaker was all that played. I have to unmute certain things in alsamixer to get the stereo amplifier to play.

When I turned pipewire back on. That is when I learned that. Because I lost all sound for a bit.

Brian Masinick

Yeah, whenever I don’t get sound, I check:
                      1) the sound level
                      2) the type of connection – speaker, headphone
                      3) the service; in regular audio I usually see HDMI or PCH; the PCH works for me.
                      4) Pipewire doesn’t really have much to select; I’m sorry that it doesn’t work for
                      everyone but it’s actually helped; I had to manually set up and reconfigure things
                      just about every single time I used sound on previous systems; it’s pretty much
                      automatic now, at least for me.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                      rokytnji

Bluetooth is working.

Brian Masinick

Bluetooth is working.

Great! Sounds like things are going better on this system.

--
                          Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

@anticapitalista, just a request, which also serves as a reminder.

Please remember to use our translated “.desktop” files when creating new ISOs.

The Transifex “.desktop” files from the “antix23-desktop-files” resource have translations that are not yet in GitLab from several languages that were recently translated.

Even if some “.desktop” files lose their translations after antiX updates, at least the menus will be translated in the official ISO.

I published a video on YouTube teaching how to restore menu translations by copying the “.desktop” files (from the antiX 23 full ISO along with the duly translated “.desktop” files from Magnus and Onboard) to the /usr/ folder share/applications and click on the “Reload Menu” menu.

The Magnus and Onboard “.desktop” files are in the Internet Archive.

Thank you very much!

– – – – –

@anticapitalista, apenas um pedido, que também serve como lembrete.

Por favor, lembre-se de utilizar os nossos arquivos “.desktop” que estão traduzidos quando for criar as novas ISOs.

Os arquivos “.desktop” do Transifex do recurso “antix23-desktop-files” possui traduções que ainda não estão no GitLab de vários idiomas que foram traduzidos recentemente.

Mesmo que alguns arquivos “.desktop” percam as traduções após as atualizações do antiX, ao menos os menus estarão traduzidos na ISO oficial.

Eu publiquei um vídeo no YouTube ensinando a restaurar as traduções dos menus com a cópia dos arquivos “.desktop” (da ISO do antiX 23 full junto com os arquivos “.desktop” do Magnus e Onboard devidamente traduzidos) para a pasta /usr/share/applications e o clique no menu “Recarregar o Menu”.

Os arquivos “.desktop” do Magnus e Onboard estão no Internet Archive.

Muito obrigado!

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

@marcelocripe – thanks for the reminder, but the problem is that the desktop files are in a monolithic file at Transifex.
                              Extracting the translations for the menus takes hours and hours of manual work. It is not automated.

We need a better way to handle menu translations.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

@anticapitalista and @marcelocripe On one hand, I’ve not done this since the late nineties and it was on a UNIX system, but our team had only 3-5 languages localized from the UNIX consortium we were a member of, and the specifics did not perfectly match our configuration and we also wanted to translate between 20-40 dialects and languages, so it was definitely a task to automate as much as possible so here is what we did:

1) First we gathered the base C locale language text, keyboard accelerators, Ctrl sequences, etc., put them in a concise package and sent them to at least three translation teams: a European translation team, a general Asian translation team, and we had people in our own organization who could read, write, and translate the Chinese dialects, and we had a Japanese collaborator who spent six months a year in Japan and six months on site; this person helped us with development and translation efforts in Japanese.

2) We sent each of these organizations the C locale base from which to translate in kit form that could be directly extracted to their system and we also provided the script to do it. We also created the reverse script to unpack the details on their systems; then we sent all of this with instructions.

3) The language translators did their respective work and sent it back and we reversed the process.

4) Our team would extract the details and build each localization and send the resultant work back to the translation team to make sure that it visually represented what they intended to translate.

5) If yes, we’d then check the files for each localization element into our repository, and we’d then provide the team with access to that base level. When everything was accurate and verified, it would propagate through each base level to the next release.

We may have iterated a few times initially to get all of this right, but once it was correctly performed, we automated all of this with either a Ksh or Bash shell tool collection to perform the operations. I recall being able to call the direct tool for specific locales; we could also put a master script around it, calling each locale in a list.

I did this 20-25 years ago and my test harness writing skills are not what they once were, but my high level design description is outlined above; hopefully someone with currently honed development tool skills can write a couple of scripts to automate everything except the translation/localization skills; those have to be done by people with language expertise.

Does this sound feasible? If so, putting something together would allow this to be repeated as often as necessary once the features are in place and only the translations would be manual; the well-written scripts could be drafted and fine tuned until done properly, then used repeatedly thereafter.

--
                                Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

@marcelocripe – thanks for the reminder, but the problem is that the desktop files are in a monolithic file at Transifex.
                                  Extracting the translations for the menus takes hours and hours of manual work. It is not automated.

Robin knows how to do the automated process of collecting texts in Transifex and distributing them to “.desktop” files. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to use the tools he developed for this job.
                                  In any case, it will still be important for all non-English speakers to have the translations of the menus of the “.desktop” files that were in the antiX 23 ISO.
                                  Magnus and Onboard “.desktop” files with some translated languages could also be used after installing the “.deb” packages.
                                  Magnus, I made merge request number 28, on September 14, 2023, but no developer responded to my request.
                                  Onboard is on the Launchpad platform and is disorganized and messy “Unfinished translations and lack of organization of volunteer Brazilian Portuguese translators.“. For this reason, the language “pt_BR” will never have its Onboard translation completed.

– – – – –

O Robin sabe fazer o processo automatizado de coleta no Transifex e distribuição dos textos nos arquivos “.desktop”. Infelizmente eu não sei utilizar as ferramentas que ele desenvolveu para este trabalho.
                                  De qualquer maneira, ainda será importante para todos os não falantes do idioma Inglês terem as traduções dos menus dos aquivos “.desktop” que estavam na ISO do antiX 23.
                                  Os arquivos “.desktop” do Magnus e Onboard com alguns idiomas traduzidos também poderiam ser utilizados depois da instalação dos pacotes “.deb”.
                                  O Magnus eu realizei o pedido de mesclagem número 28, no dia 14 de setembro de 2023, mas nenhum desenvolvedor respondeu ao meu pedido.
                                  O Onboard está na plataforma Launchpad e é desorganizada e bagunçada “Unfinished translations and lack of organization of volunteer Brazilian Portuguese translators.“. Por este motivo, o idioma “pt_BR” nunca terá a sua tradução finalizada do Onboard.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 213 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.