antiX-23.1-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 212 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Dec 24-7:49 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 213 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

@anticapitalista, good news on kernel, since installing up to now no boot fails on
      the difficult devices I was able to test on.

Has anyone else experinced network fail, cmst can not connect to system bus.
      Leaves device without Ethernet. Failure is sporadic, rebooting once sometimes twice
      gets networking back.

Maybe/probably its a timing issue. The device starts extremely fast. Using modern kernel.

Regarding Rox, Icewm, once I get my replacements for failed Transcend USB sticks I can check again
      from a fresh download. For sure I had selected and reselected RoxIce over a couple of reboots.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Xunzi_23.
      Brian Masinick

@Xunzi_23 re: “Maybe/probably its a timing issue. The device starts extremely fast. Using modern kernel.”

Based on my own experiences I agree with your statement. On any device built on or after 2019 I can get Connman/cmst working, and it’s usually automatic. On my newer systems, yes, I can get it to work, but it often either takes multiple attempts or it bounces up and down. I rarely have these issues on other systems.

For example, I’ve been using my Dell Inspiron 5558 for the past couple of days and I have three different instances of antiX installed here; I haven’t had any networking issues at all and it’s been a great experience, including with antiX Core. On my HP-14, I usually have to resort to using Ceni, despite the fact that it takes 2-3 minutes to get it operational; at least it works. I’m going to experiment with the Connman daemon startup and see if it helps resolve the matter.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Strange, after saying what I said above, I logged out of my Dell Inspiron 5558, logged into my HP-14 with the antiX-23-runit_x64 and cmst appeared right away and promptly connected. While I can’t say whether I’ll have any network instability or not, so far I’ve not had a single problem. It makes me think that the actual cause of my network problems were the construction projects going on in our complex, one of which was a significant network wiring job intended to improve network capacity and speed; well, if that project is DONE it seems to be successful; as I said, the Dell was solid for multiple days and now the HP is too. Hopefully you experience similar good network fortunes soon as well.

--
          Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

@marcelocripe – I remember you posted that one of your hardware can only boot 5.10 kernel.
            Can you also try my latest 5.10.199 version from here:

http://repo.antixlinux.com/uploads/bookworm/main/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xunzi_23

On Welschman machine, Testing latest antiX23 running live, tried both
              older and latest kernels.

No sound on controll center test, no sound to speakers,
              no volume icon, only a volume slider in pipi wire mixer.

pipi, is a german slang for piss.Welshmans words were beyond forum rules
              when he asked for assistance.

Machine is a core 2 duo device, 2GB Ram, Intel HD Sound, no further cards.

Never had sound issues on that device or its identical twin before!….
              Both no output on speaker jack with antiX23 P Wire.

Switched to alsa using the well hidden tool from abc-nix PPC, No Sound Output.
              Checked off, remastered, rebooted. checked P inactive.

Thankfully It was.

Opened controll center, sound device was shown correctly, set. Did a speaker test,
              we had sound as expected.
              ahem, his speakers are reversed,. Looking at the speakers from front, Left should
              be Left and right to your right if sitting centered.

Comment from my friend, if that is progress cars will soon have 5 reverse gears and one forward.

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

Please test this new version.

It is in the same folder, same name but different md5sum. iso is c 1.7GB

https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/

2 different kernels

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

Tried both kernels on my gaming laptop running antiX22–>antiX23.

The mouse didn’t work with the older kernel, but it shutdown nicely using Ctl-ALT-DEL and using the screen that popped open to first logout and then shutdown using the keyboard.

The mouse worked fine with the “modern” kernel and the Pipewire–> ALSA toggle worked smoothly.

stevesr0

P.S. no flash of shutdown manager window occurred.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.
                  Forum Admin
                  dolphin_oracle

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is not installed, leaving the touchpad to libinput I think. which is fine, but it might be nice to have a default libinput.conf file with some options, particularly for enabling tap-to-click.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad-libinput.conf

Section "InputClass"
                    Identifier "touchpad"
                    Driver "libinput"
                      MatchIsTouchpad "on"
                      Option "Tapping" "on"
                    EndSection

23.1_runit does not load the efivarsfs module. UEFI install should work, but it will work with the fallback “removable media” efi stub, not the antiX specific one. I’m not sure how to fix that, as the situation only occurs on the isos using runit.

Brian Masinick

2 different kernels

I’ve been having difficulties getting it installed using Live USB Maker; I’ll try grabbing the image again; perhaps it is defective.
                      I’ll compare the checksums on the next image I download; no point in doing it on the one I already obtained because 3 or 4 distinct
                      attempts did not work.

I’ll let you know if it was just a bad download for me or some other problem.

--
                      Brian Masinick

calciumsodium

Hello,

Works good. It seems to boot faster than the previous test version with the newer 6.1 kernel.

1. The grub menu is fixed since the last version. I can see the antiX 23.1 label instead of just Debian. Thank you.

2. Thanks for putting the pipewire/alsa toggle under the Applications > Multimedia subfolder. This makes more sense here. Thank you.

3. After toggling from pipewire to alsa and rebooting, when I use ytfzf, I still see this error message about [ao/pipewire] Could not connect to context ‘(null)’: Host is down. It does not affect the sound. I guess this is minor.

$ ytfzf the the
                        Scraping YouTube (with https://iv.ggtyler.dev) (the the, pg: 1)
                         (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (vp9 2880x2160 25.000fps)
                         (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (opus 2ch 48000Hz)
                        File tags:
                         Uploader: THE THE
                         Channel_URL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjCFgnOw9SnDJVevyEa6CMA
                        [ao/pipewire] Could not connect to context '(null)': Host is down
                        AO: [alsa] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
                        VO: [gpu] 2880x2160 yuv420p

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is not installed, leaving the touchpad to libinput I think. which is fine, but it might be nice to have a default libinput.conf file with some options, particularly for enabling tap-to-click.

Section "InputClass"
                          Identifier "touchpad"
                          Driver "libinput"
                            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
                            Option "Tapping" "on"
                          EndSection

23.1_runit does not load the efivarsfs module. UEFI install should work, but it will work with the fallback “removable media” efi stub, not the antiX specific one. I’m not sure how to fix that, as the situation only occurs on the isos using runit.

Thanks.
                          So should we still ship with xserver-xorg-input-synaptics? IIRC it may cause issues if we do.
                          RE – efivarsfs module. Does it matter either running live or installed? I don’t have any hardware with UEFI.

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

On Welschman machine, Testing latest antiX23 running live, tried both
                            older and latest kernels.

No sound on controll center test, no sound to speakers,
                            no volume icon, only a volume slider in pipi wire mixer.

pipi, is a german slang for piss.Welshmans words were beyond forum rules
                            when he asked for assistance.

Machine is a core 2 duo device, 2GB Ram, Intel HD Sound, no further cards.

Never had sound issues on that device or its identical twin before!….
                            Both no output on speaker jack with antiX23 P Wire.

Switched to alsa using the well hidden tool from abc-nix PPC, No Sound Output.
                            Checked off, remastered, rebooted. checked P inactive.

Thankfully It was.

Opened controll center, sound device was shown correctly, set. Did a speaker test,
                            we had sound as expected.
                            ahem, his speakers are reversed,. Looking at the speakers from front, Left should
                            be Left and right to your right if sitting centered.

Comment from my friend, if that is progress cars will soon have 5 reverse gears and one forward.

It might be a timing issue when booting live from usb/cd/dvd especially on old hardware with usb2 (I doubt Welshman’s laptop has usb3).
                            They could try booting with this cheat code

delay=15 and/or deskdelay=15

Brian Masinick

2 different kernels

I’ve been having difficulties getting it installed using Live USB Maker; I’ll try grabbing the image again; perhaps it is defective.
                              I’ll compare the checksums on the next image I download; no point in doing it on the one I already obtained because 3 or 4 distinct
                              attempts did not work.

I’ll let you know if it was just a bad download for me or some other problem.

Problem resolved by downloading again and explicitly verifying the checksum; done; all is well and the software installs beautifully.
                              Moreover, I’ve come up with a few “tricks” when I install multiple instances of antiX, I’m able to copy my wallpaper, extra browsers,
                              .icewm folder settings and my .bashrc, and anything else I think of; works GREAT! I already have 100% of my personal configuration,
                              VERIFIED the 6.1.60 kernel on this modern system, and I’m good to go!

--
                              Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                              dolphin_oracle

Section "InputClass"
                                Identifier "touchpad"
                                Driver "libinput"
                                  MatchIsTouchpad "on"
                                  Option "Tapping" "on"
                                EndSection

Thanks.
                                So should we still ship with xserver-xorg-input-synaptics? IIRC it may cause issues if we do.
                                RE – efivarsfs module. Does it matter either running live or installed? I don’t have any hardware with UEFI.

on the synaptics driver, no I don’t think you should ship it. although machines that are running antiX are still likely to work fine with it, its not longer under development. I do thing that “touch tapping” should be enabled by default though, like the old synaptics config did. the conf I posted should do this, we use it on MX. clickpads are particuraly annoying in single click as you can’t even drag an icon without holding the entire clickpad down while you do it. very difficult IMO.

on the efivarfs, it doesn’t matter at all on live, and only sort-of matters on installed. Usually with EFI you can choose what OS to boot if you have more than one OS installed. So I could choose antiX vs. MX vs. ubuntu without needing grub to multi-boot. What happens with the runit iso (not the sysVinit one) is that the “antiX” EFI stub does not get registered in the motherboard’s NVRAM and instead the fallback “removable” EFI stub is used instead. You can only have one fallback per ESP. In practice, it works a lot like mbr/legacy booting, in that the last installed OS will control the fallback EFI, assuming the other OS actually makes one (ubuntu and windows do, others who knows). the gazelle installer does make the fallback, so user’s running antiX_runit still get a working UEFI boot. the only part of the install that “fails” is the updating of the onboard nvram so that the PC can be booted on a per-OS level rather than a “per-device” level.

techore

Unless there was a change, not including efivars will result with a ‘efivars not supported’ error when using efibootmgr. This may or may not be a concern.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 213 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.