antiX-23.1-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.1-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 212 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Dec 24-7:49 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 213 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

On the topic of Ceni vs. Connman, it definitely indicates that
      whatever is behind my issues, the Connman daemon is much more
      sensitive to problems compared to Ceni, which is simply slow
      and cumbersome, but it’s quite reliable, and only a prolonged
      delay or outage cause any problem; it’s quite tolerant once
      it’s running.

--
      Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
      dolphin_oracle

Very good catch, @dolphin_oracle

The missing piece of code is:

#
        # Mount efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars if necessary
        #
        efivarsmnt=/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
        if test -d $efivarsmnt; then
            # domount is a no-op if already mounted
            domount "$MNTMODE" efivarfs "" $efivarsmnt none ""
        fi

I will send a merge request to the gitlab repo.

what git repository is that?

**edit** nevermind I found it. runit-core-services-antix

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by dolphin_oracle.
        abc-nix

@dolphin_oracle and @anticapitalista
          Should I update the runit-core script with the efimount script instructions that dolphin_oracle linked instead of the original sysvinit one?

I also found another bug in the original runit-core script I will fix with this merge request. So this is a very profitable issue.

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

please do

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

abc-nix

please do

Done. I will test it on my system and on a remaster of a live system tomorrow.

Brian Masinick

The matter of the correct efimount script is indeed quite helpful.
                Most of my “mess ups” have been a result of rebuilding tools
                and/or systems, and taking time and effort to recreate my
                environments. The systems themselves are fine, with the
                exception of updating the boot loader. Having a proper
                efi environment will make adding, removing or changing
                boot numbers an easy change, much quicker than revamping
                the boot loader or even reinstalling software.

--
                Brian Masinick

PPC

I just tested the first 23.1 version on my netbook – it ran perfectly on my desktop, without the log-in bug I reported, but on this netbook, I found touch-pad problems: left click and the scroll area do not work. If I reverse mouse settings to “left handed”, the right touch-pad button acts just fine as “main click” (doing what usually the left click does) but the physical left touch-pad button is dead.
                  Using a usb mouse works just fine
                  I have no problem using antiX 23 on this netbook (it’s installed, antiX 23 Full, sysv, 64bits) so something touch-pad related changed between 23 and 23.1… or it’s something runit related…

P.

abc-nix

Done. I will test it on my system and on a remaster of a live system tomorrow.

Decided to test it now and it works on a remaster of the 23.1 testing live session. /sys/firmware/efi/efivars is now populated. And I see no issues on the install system either.

For anyone curious, the merge request is here.

Many thanks to dolphin_oracle for finding the bug and the fix.

Brian Masinick

@olsztyn wrote: Now I remember I was using Thinkpad T420 and X220 to run Clear Linux.

Interesting; I have two similar models – a Thinkpad X201 and T510, but I only
                      run antiX if I’m using anything other than my Dell and HP-14; actually the
                      Dell at the moment has only antiX/MX software currently installed.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Verified that the script in Git based on the MX Linux code works great;
                        efibootmgr is now functional.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Robin

Have not read all the 85 messages in this thread, no time right now to join this discussion (or even install 23.1 testing version). Just wanted to let you know @anticapitalista there has obviously happened a translation file transfer error in antiX 23 (at least in 64bit runit full (final, not testing), other versions not checked) : unplugdrive comes with obviously wrong .mo file set in the ISO for some reason. The file within the ISO contains only 25 translatable strings (when reverse decompiled from mo to po), while the proper file matching the current 0.93b version should have 49. It looks as if the files delivered belong to a former outdated unplugdrive version, not sure which one. Hence most parts of the UI of unplugdrive are not translated. Found to be true in German, French and Brasilian Portuguese, so I guess all other languages are affected as well. When manually downloading the respective files from https://app.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/unplugdrive/ , compiling them to unplugdrive.mo and overwriting the existing ones in /usr/share/locale/xy/LC_MESSAGES/ directories the unplugdrive UI comes up in proper translation.

Would be great if this could be fixed in 23.1 ISO (if not already done, as said above I haven’t had any spare time to install the current 23.1 testing version)

So long!
                          Robin

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

Today I quickly tested antiX 23.1 v2 on my work desktop computer:
                            – the problem during logging on, that only happens on this Dell, that did not happen when booting live in antiX 23.1 v1 is back
                            – when booting live, I got no volumeicon icon (it fails to start from the terminal, with an error that I did not write down). Pipewire sound fails to work, on both kernels. Toggling pipewire off produced sound via Alsa… Toggling Pipewire back on produced sound, and I could launch volumeicon from the terminal just fine.
                            – like I reported, on my “intel” netbook, the physical left touchpad button and the scroll section of the touchpad are completly dead. USB mice work fine.

I liked that the Pipewire toggle was on the hardware section of the Control Centre, that makes sense, when users are trying to configure anything!

In all, version 23.1 v1 was perfect on my computers, version 2, not so much… I don’t know what changed to cause the touchpad problem (could it be the kernel?), nor the problem with Pipewire.

Suggestion- if easy to implement, in Live mode, add “desktop-menu –write-out-global” on the end of the window manager’s startup file, to try to make sure that the menu comes up ok when booting live on slower machines.

I’m used to the have to manually enter my user name and password on the login screen, on my work desktop, it’s not ideal, but also not a problem… what gets me is that, randomly, some antiX beta/test version works perfectly when booting live, but the final versions never do- so I know it’s something that I can reproduce and fix, with certain, non final antiX isos… It’s some tiny detail that changes from one version to another, that makes this particular machine act that weird…

Now the Pipewire problem is more serious, although easily solvable by toggling it off and back on… The only solution to the touchpad problem is using an usb mouse…

P.

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

@PPC – are you sure it is not the boot medium that is causing those issues?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

@PPC – are you sure it is not the boot medium that is causing those issues?

I’m using a brand new usb thumbdrive, that was given to me, still sealed in the original package, but I can try to re-download the latest iso, check it, and burn it to a different, older usb thumbdrive (I tested 23.1 v1 on the same drive and it ran great)

PPC

Re reading this thread, maybe I’ll try this, that DO mentioned, to try solving the touchpad problem…

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is not installed, leaving the touchpad to libinput I think. which is fine, but it might be nice to have a default libinput.conf file with some options, particularly for enabling tap-to-click.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad-libinput.conf

Section “InputClass”
                                  Identifier “touchpad”
                                  Driver “libinput”
                                  MatchIsTouchpad “on”
                                  Option “Tapping” “on”
                                  EndSection

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 213 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.