antiX-23.1 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23.1 released

• This topic has 218 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-5:33 pm by Stéphane Ascoët.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

The Arch documentation, and the ArchWiki in particular, frequently has useful information when it may be lacking elsewhere, and that is the case here too. The Ubuntu project has a few useful tidbits, but often their stuff is TOO specific to only *untu based distributions, so Arch, even though a different architecture, tends to have really helpful tips like this one:
      https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Libinput

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I believe that Robin said: “Well, I simply hadn’t to switch the touchpad off until now on the notebook, having used it mobile. Only now, back on desk and connected to a mouse, this caused trouble unexpectedly. And on the desktop PC it’s hardly possible to notice, since there is no touchpad, and the default mouse acceleration and sensitivity was perfectly fine on that device.”

Same here; otherwise I would have spoken more about this; however, looking back to our antiX 23.1 testing thread both Dolphin Oracle and I had some comments about the use of libinput; I added xinput to my selected packages for convenient operation of tools and scripts.

The fact is that I only occasionally use my Touchpad. The most frequent device where I still use it is my Lenovo Thinkpad X201 because it has one of those red buttons to navigate, PLUS multiple mouse alternative button pressing choices PLUS the touchpad! Even there I rarely have to use the touchpad because of the choices! IBM designed those in the early 2000s, probably for people who ALSO use IBM mainframe systems; those people are more used to using function keys than mouse buttons because the IBM 3270 family of display monitors and keyboards had 12 to 24 function keys and either a numeric keypad or a switchable control – LOTS of flexibility WITHOUT using a mouse!

Those older devices have longer key depressions than some of the newest keyboards, but IBM always had good keyboards and to this day the Lenovo lineup purchased from IBM still has some of the best OEM laptop keyboards; yes, you can do even better, but only if you purchase a custom keyboard and pay good money for it; otherwise the IBM and Lenovo keyboards are among the best, at least in consumer grade laptop systems.

(I don’t SELL IBM or Lenovo products, I’ve never worked for either company, but many of my contract jobs had these devices, hence my familiarity with them!) Dell and Hewlett Packard usually have decent devices too; I’m using my HP-14 right now; the one thing this one DOESN’T have (that I wish it DID) is a backlit keyboard; my Acer Chromebook 715 has a nice backlit keyboard when I need it.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

To summarize the long discussion about the touchpad, to be SAFE, here are the best practices that I advocate and use:

1) GET RID of ALL synaptics traces: sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
          2) Install/reinstall libinput: xserver-xorg-input-libinputxserver-xorg-input-libinput
          3) Optional, but recommended so convenience scripts can be written easily:
          sudo apt update; sudo apt install xinput

4) Replacement script:

#!/bin/bash
          # Touchpad.bash
          read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
          state=$( xinput list-props "$TPdevice" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep -o "[01]$" )
          if [ "$state" -eq '1' ];then
              xinput --disable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Disabled" 2> /dev/null
          else
              xinput --enable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Enabled" 2> /dev/null
          fi

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Libinput has some interesting stuff if anyone wants to consider or add things like Touchpad disable middle button, Touchpad tap-to-click, Touchpad natural scrolling, Pointer acceleration, even Disabling acceleration on touchpad.

Good stuff for those who want to try out various things with their touchpad device.

I believe I mentioned it before, but the Gentoo article also references it:
            https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Libinput

It happens to mention something I’ve been discussing earlier –

“If you installed either Xorg or Wayland, then Libinput should already be installed as a dependency; there are no necessary extra packages.

For Wayland, the libinput package should be installed as a dependency of any graphical environment you use that has Wayland, and no additional driver is needed.
            For Xorg, xf86-input-libinput is also a dependency. It is “a thin wrapper around libinput and allows for libinput to be used for input devices in X. This driver can be used as as drop-in replacement for evdev and synaptics.” [1]. It replaces other packages used for input with X (i.e., those prefixed with xf86-input-).
            You may want to install xorg-xinput to be able to change settings at runtime.”

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
            Brian Masinick

Robin

Many thanks, Brian @Masinick , really great research work.
              Sorry, I was busy with bug squashing in antiX control centre and antiX samba manager; drudgingly nurishes the squirrel. So I couldn’t read by now, will do so tomorrow.

But I have to dish up some more disconcerting tidings unfortunately. Hopefully the antiX devs can fix this issue soon, it took me some hours now to narrow all the trouble down to a bug in the way the environment is set when antiX control centre is started from antiX main menu, rather than from a console window.

It’s reproducable, I repeated the testings on two different devices, both antX 23 runit live, but one 23.1 final 32 bit, the other 23.1-testing still, 64 bit.

Background and testing setup:

1.) antiX-samba-mgr, started from within a roxterm console: Clicking its manage shares button brings up the user share manager as expected, once samba is installed.
              2.) And, for sure, the same is true when starting antiX-setup-samba-shares directly from within a roxterm console. Everything fine.
              3.) And now, starting antiX control centre from the roxterm console, and running antiX-samba-manager by clicking its control center entry, and then again clicking the setup-samba-shares button: Everything fine.

4.) Starting antiX control centre now from the antiX main menu induces the following strange behaviour:
              – antiX control centre starts up normal, as we all know.
              – antiX-samba-manager first screen comes up fine also, when started by the control centre entry.
              – But when clicking now the button manage shares, it obstinately presents the installer dialog instead of proceeding, even when samba is installed.
              This is reproducable.

What’s going on? A detailed analysis and lengthy code review of the respective lines in setup-samba-shares, samba-mgr and control centre turned out:
              – everything fine with the way the commands are used within the control centre itself, the samba manager and the setup-samba-shares scripts. No errors, which could explain this behaviour.

Now, after nothing could explain this, I decided to catch for what the if clause “sees” on runtime. Since there is no console on which something could be printed when control centre it is started from main menu, my default method to set -x before and +x behind a line that’s processing I want to check in detail won’t conjure any result here, and I had to invent a workaround to get the pieces of information needed:

I added the two lines right before the line in the setup-samba-shares script which decides whether to proceed or not, based on the result of which.

which samba > $HOME/sambatest.txt 2>&1
              echo $? >> $HOME/sambatest.txt

The unbelievable result:
              – When calling the antiX control centre from command line in roxterm, the which command in setup-samba-shares exits with 0 (zero) and returns the proper path to the samba executable, as one would expect. This explains why the script works normally then.
              – When calling the antiX control centre from the antiX main menu, the which command in setup-samba-shares exits with 1 (one) and returns: nothing.

What’s going on here?
              When taking all possibilities into account, the by far most likely reason which could explain this is, that the main menu calls already the control centre in a wrong environment, not allowing all its child processes to function normally, and which to “see” the executable. Yes, I’m talking about the path environment variable:

Consistently, next I tried to catch for this variable on runtime, again using my method to redirect it to a file to catch a glimpse of it. The bewildering result:

$PATH for all child processes when starting antiX control centre from antiX main menu:
              /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

$PATH for all child processes when starting antiX control centre from a roxterm console window:
              /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin

There is missing something…

And samba resides in /sbin, so this explains why which can’t see it in antiX-samba-mgr subscript antiX-setup-samba-shares when antiX control centre is called from main menu instead of from a console window, and the samba manager is opened from within the control centre in turn.

Please, dear antiX devs, fix this. Urgently.

We can’t expect people to start antiX control centre only from command line…

Testing results originate from antiX 23.1 full runit 32bit live, virgin (not remastered by now)
              For reproducing use latest versions of antiX control centre(n.n.), antiX-samba-mgr(0.8), antiX-mount-samba-shares (2.19), antiX-setup-samba-shares (0.89) (all of them not in the default antiX repo by now)
              Test was repeated on antiX 23.1-testing full runit 64 bit live. Same results.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

@anticapitalista: Bugfix update for antiX control centre, merge request !18 sent.

– Addresses the issue user can close prerequisite installer prematurely by X in window border rather than following the proper process, having caused misbehaviour.
                – Adds a keyboard layout map, useful if on your keyboard are not printed the keys for foreign languages you can choose from language flag in antiX system tray. Shows also the key assignments for all four keyboard layers, rarely printed on the hardware keys. Based on a gnome library (libgnomekbd) and a tiny helper tool, both combined by an even tinier script I have written for this task to make it blend into antiX control centre.

You’ll find all needed instructions for packaging the tools along with a set of packages for 32 and 64 bit in my git.
                https://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/antix-current-kb-layout
                https://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/xkb-layout-state
                https://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/control-centre-antix

If some early bird wants to check out before it’s available via the antiX repos, use the above links to get my unofficial homebrew packages. (You may also build it from the sources on your own, there is a link to the original nonpop sources of the xkb helper tool available in the readme file)

——————-
                Edit:
                Please note: This update for control centre doesn’t address the latest findings concerning the nonfunctional mouse/touchpad sensivity/acceleration/buttonswap/togggle control issue. It deals merely with the formerly known issues.

PPC

@Robin – the GUI to display the current keyboard layout is pure genius, and something I though a few times that antiX needed, despite not being essential.
                  I have only one suggestion – if possible, remove the mention “dead”, that does nothing, just hides the main character present on that key (in pt-pt that happens in the letter “J”.
                  Also I think some of the information displayed about some keys (like, in pt-pt, “C” includes stuff that is not there).

Suggestion to the devs – I’m not sure if the installed already includes a similar feature, but if possible, and when possible, changing the antiX installer to have an option to launch antiX-current-kb-layout, so users can check out the chosen keyboard layout would be a nice extra (once again, sorry, I have a crappy memory, I can’t remember if the installer as a similar feature).

P.

PPC

In order not to pollute this thread with mouse configuration talk, I’ll create a new thread, to discuss how to (re)implement those features: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/reimplementing-a-gui-mouse-configuration-tool-in-antix-23/#post-135084

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                    Brian Masinick

@robin GREAT code review and deduction!

I generally add both /use/sbin:/sbin to my personal account because it’s my system and only my system and therefore I take many liberties with it, sometimes for research, sometimes for convenience and others to determine what is possible.

That’s how I learn – in fact yesterday I learned several things about xinput and libinput because of our recent conversation and my personal desire to both learn and understand. Once learning and understanding are synchronous it’s much easier to discuss and explain how things work and why they function in a particular way.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

As far as PATH stuff I have been doing it since 1982-1983. I had an opportunity to get OUT of maintenance programming and into early work in client/server computing – I’m not sure it even had that label at the time.

The IBM PC was 1-2 years in the market and we were just starting to put them on SOME people’s desks. We wanted to establish a standard of software and hardware choices in order to accomplish two things 1) get something that greatly improves workflow and 2) is less expensive.

2) is always an important consideration, but back in those days the mainframe was very expensive (millions).

--
                        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

@Robin

There is missing something…

And samba resides in /sbin, so this explains why which can’t see it in antiX-samba-mgr subscript antiX-setup-samba-shares when antiX control centre is called from main menu instead of from a console window, and the samba manager is opened from within the control centre in turn.

Please, dear antiX devs, fix this. Urgently.

We can’t expect people to start antiX control centre only from command line…

samba does not reside in /sbin but /usr/sbin
                          This is where Debian puts it.

whereis samba
                          samba: /usr/sbin/samba /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba /etc/samba /usr/libexec/samba /usr/share/samba /usr/share/man/man8/samba.8.gz /usr/share/man/man7/samba.7.gz

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Robin

samba does not reside in /sbin but /usr/sbin
                            This is where Debian puts it.

@anticapitalista: And still, on antiX 23.1 full runit 32 and 64 bit both I get this:

$ which samba
                            /sbin/samba
                            $ ls -l /sbin/samba
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43272 12. Okt 15:22 /sbin/samba

This is after doing
                            sudo apt-get install samba

64bit

$ apt-cache policy samba
                            samba:
                              Installiert:           2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1
                              Installationskandidat: 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1
                              Versionstabelle:
                                 2:4.19.4+dfsg-3~bpo12+1 100
                                    100 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports/main amd64 Packages
                             *** 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1 500
                                    500 http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/bookworm bookworm/nosystemd amd64 Packages
                                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                                 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1 500
                                    500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
                                    500 http://security.debian.org bookworm-security/main amd64 Packages
                                 2:4.17.9+dfsg-0+deb12u3 500
                                    500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates/main amd64 Packages

32bit:

$ apt-cache policy samba
                            samba:
                              Installiert:           2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1
                              Installationskandidat: 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1
                              Versionstabelle:
                                 2:4.19.4+dfsg-3~bpo12+1 100
                                    100 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports/main i386 Packages
                             *** 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1.0nosystemd1 500
                                    500 http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/bookworm bookworm/nosystemd i386 Packages
                                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                                 2:4.17.12+dfsg-0+deb12u1 500
                                    500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main i386 Packages
                                    500 http://security.debian.org bookworm-security/main i386 Packages
                                 2:4.17.9+dfsg-0+deb12u3 500
                                    500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates/main i386 Packages

And it starts up properly when it is called with /sbin/samba instead of samba merely :

$ /sbin/samba -V
                            Version 4.17.12-Debian

So I guess the whereis output is incomplete.
                            Since it comes up with the same result for me as you have posted above. Whereis doesn’t see the /sbin/samba file for some strange reason, either.

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

/sbin is a symlink to /usr/sbin

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista
                                ls -la /usr/sbin | grep samba
                                -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root     43272 Oct 12 16:22 samba
                                -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root     33010 Oct 12 16:22 samba_dnsupdate
                                -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      4167 Oct 12 16:22 samba_downgrade_db
                                -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      5916 Oct 12 16:22 samba-gpupdate
                                -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root     12189 Oct 12 16:22 samba_kcc
                                -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      8066 Oct 12 16:22 samba_spnupdate
                                -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root     22180 Oct 12 16:22 samba_upgradedns

ls -la /sbin | grep samb gives no output

Robin

/sbin is a symlink to /usr/sbin

So then it is enough to have /sbin in the path to have it accessible, I presume.
                                  While the path contains both, /sbin and /usr/sbin, when not running from antiX main menu, so it doesn’t make much difference whether the one or the other of the two applies. And this is what I guess what must be fixed in the way antiX main menu starts the control centre script.
                                  Alternatively there probably could be added a path statement line into control centre head itself (like this was practiced in good old MS-DOS autoexec.bat file already, also a batch script), to have the full path available within all programs and scripts started from the control centre entries and running as child processes of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 219 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.