antiX-23.1 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23.1 released

• This topic has 218 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-5:33 pm by Stéphane Ascoët.
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    PPC

It must be something other than use of /

@anticapitalista – Well, Brazilians have always seen CC with that huge space, so, it’s not really that important, just a bad looking window, that’s all…
      Is a newer version of aCC and antix-samba-mamager comming other that the one that I just got (literally some minutes ago)?

P.

Robin

I have the latest control centre mo from @marcelocripe , but it does not solve the localisation issue of the control centre.

@anticapitalista Will try to find out what’s causing it. Nothing happens ever without a reason. I’m going to fetch the latest pt_BR .po file from transifex and start aCC in pt_BR language then.

Btw, please include the .mo file from transifex translations to en_GB into the en locale folder (even when minimum percentage criteria for en_GB translation is not met). These contain some few strings in need of a fix for English speaking people, applied without breaking all existing translations to other languages. This goes for antixcc in particular here, but could be applied for all other resources generally as well, since it makes it easy and fast to fix some small mistakes like missing comma or spelling errors in English language. Just drop the minimum percentage requirement for en_GB and use it for creating the .mo file for the en locale folder by default.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

First finding: Can confirm, it’s not the slashes causing the trouble. Here a screenshot after replacing all slashes by typogaphic UTF-8 replacement U+FF0F (apart from the ones meant to be part of a variable) within pt_BR translation. Empty space on the left is still there, only in pt_BR.

PPC

It’s not the slashes causing the trouble.

anticapitalista seemed to already have reached that conclusion. I’ve assumed it was the slashes ever since I noticed the exact same thing happening when I was adapting IceWM Control Center to it’s gtk-dialog version…
            If I was a betting man, I would say this is caused by some strange special character that found it’s way into the pt-br localization- since pt-pt has the exact same special characters and no problem at all…

P.

Robin

Result: It’s not the usage of a specific character here. It’s simply the string length of translated strings in pt_BR which exceeds the abilities of GTKdialog to deal with in button engravings. If you translate a button engraving string of two short words to something like:

"Reparador de Inicialização do Sistema Operacional"
              "Gerenciador de Conexões de Rede CMST ConnMan"
              "Equalizador para o Servidor de Áudio Pipewire"
              "Ativador e Desativador do Equalizador de Áudio"
              "Atualizador do Núcleo (Kernel) do USB Executável"

…you should not be surprised by the GUI producing an extra-large window for this.

And then: Additionally the length of translations used in the tab entries matter. The longer you put these phrases, the more space you’ll have left of the icons. Seems to be a GTKdialog issue, or maybe it can be helped by some additional formatting instructions to be put into the script code. Maybe somebody really experienced in gtkdialog can fix it, so longer tab entries won’t cause the additional empty space.

You may be wordy in the tooltipps to fill up half of screen if you feel like, but please keep the button engravings and tab labels short, really short, to avoid that kind of trouble.

See test pt_BR, all entries of buttons and tabs cut by the half (without taking care for any meaning, just a technical test):

Attachments:

ile

Hello anticapitalista
                fluxbox 1.3.7+git20220731-0antix23

In the /init files
                it is one of the new buttons.
                There is an invalid value for
                session.screen0.toolbar.button.togshowdesk.commands:

The Special Command “ShowDesktop” does not accept arguments;
                when fluxbox reads ShowDesktop it executes;
                anything after ShowDesktop is not read.

The value for the above resource can be “ShowDesktop”

The value for the above resource can be “skippy-xd”
                on an alternate mouse :[clickN] command (?) is an extra;
                “ShowDesktop:[[space]] :exec skippy-xd” puts skippy on right-click (?)
                can the default togshowdesk sample command please be upgraded (proper)?

PPC

@Ile – Fluxbox’s “Show desktop button” was put there by me for a very specific reason – since Fluxbox does not allow users to easily add toolbar quick launch “buttons”, if users like having desktop icons for their favorite apps, like many people coming over from Windows do, then that buttons saves them the trouble of minimizing or moving open windows in order to let them click the desktop icons.
                  Double clicking that button should toggle showing the desktop and showing the open windows. It does on my end (I’m currently on antiX 22).

You can add a skippy-xd “button”, if you like. Maybe, in order to harmonize even more the 3 floating window managers antiX offers, to also include it to future default fluxbox configurations, but never replacing the “Show desktop button”.
                  … And hey, Fluxbox users lived without toolbar buttons and even without a toolbar “Menu button” until antiX 23 came out! Software keeps evolving, even old style window manager like Fluxbox, that seems stuck in a permanent beta for about a decade!
                  Note: I made a post, a while back, showing how to use font glyphs to emulate generic “toolbar quick launch icons” in Fluxbox. My own fluxbox configuration does have a Menu button, with an “icon”, and “icons” for Show desktop, Skippy-xd, finder, ZzzFM, Firefox, Thunderbird, Writer and the Weather, emulating much of my default IceMW toolbar…

P.

ile

double-click,, not. It is single-click,
                    what is the computer reading?
                    first click reads Showdesktop and it discards everything after ShowDesktop.
                    second click reads {exec DeIconify all} is ignored, not a valid command, so the second click is empty.
                    click three ShowDesktop
                    click four empty
                    click five ShowDesktop
                    click six empty
                    etc.
                    Does conky stay on the screen?
                    You wish to make (cut the exec) {DeIconify All [originquiet]} do the work in place of showdesktop that is already a toggle command? showdesktop alone does this (yes conky disappear.)

PPC

double-click,, not. It is single-click,

Correct. I meant 2 clicks, not “double-click”. Users have to click 2 times to see the desktop, 2 times to get back to the open windows.

Does conky stay on the screen?

As you noticed, it does not. I found an on-line example that *should* have stopped conky from being minimized, along with all other windows, (Title!=conky*) but that fails to work.

The “Show desktop” feature, as I implemented it in fluxbox is not perfect, but what I could implement. If you can implement that feature better, please post the exact code that should be used, and I’ll try to pass that along to anticapitalista’s Git, so that feature is available for future antiX versions (after testing it, of course).

P.

ile

ShowDesktop

(Yes the command you used Matches is not read; it toggles showdesktop and DeIconify all. then exec crept in somewhere for the blank click.)

Stéphane Ascoët

Possibly it was ctrl+shift+u

Thanks, but no, it was something more simple than that. I think I recall that the effect was to put any character of the keyboard in exposant

PPC

the effect was to put any character of the keyboard in exposant

Do you mean like the old Windows “character map” program? Show all characters in a GUI, and the user can click anyone and it gets “typed”?
                            EDIT: if you want something like that, you can install the package gnome-characters using the Package Installer “Repos” tab, Synaptic, or apt, via the terminal.
                            P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                            PPC

I just tested updating my live 23.1 (non persistent) flash-drive:
                              -Some 30 packages were updated, incluind a new version of Control Centre.
                              Good news: Control Centre window now has it’s own icon (bad news: it’s the antiX logo, not the same icon that we see in the menu entries); Samba Manager finally seems to work 100% out of the box in a flawless way (I can create shared folders and access shared folders, even in Live mode, using the Control Centre GUI)!
                              Extremely good job, anticapitalista and Robin!
                              Small (tiny) bad news: SCSI icon in Control Center went missing, once again…

Excellent good news for Portuguese speaking users- the localization files required to have zzzfm fully localized where added to the repository. To fix zzzfm and have it fully on your own language: antiX Menu > Terminal > run this command
                              pkill zzzfm && zzzfmlocalize

Note: this will close zzzfm, so please don’t run the command if you are using zzzfm to copy/move/delete any file(s) or folder(s)! Also if you are using a zzz based desktop (like the default desktop, that is zzz-icewm), desktop icons will disapear. To have your desktop icons back, log off and log back on.
                              Many thanks for this fix, once again, anticapitalista!

So, what do I think requires fixing in 23.1? I have a slighly changed antiX-Updater script available here in the forum, that I’m testing out and asking users to help test it. This version should not have false positives, and state that apt is already running, when it’s not. This version of the script can also be used to set a reminder, so the user checks for updates every 2 days (users are reminded of that once a day, benining 2 days after the last check for updates or update). This feature is only active if called from a startup file, not by default!!!

The user/system language application, designed by Xecure has a basic flaw- if the user clicks the option to localize antiX menu, if the first layer of the menu is already localized, it will instantly revert back to English! I do have a work-around planned for that, but it takes time to implement…

Ds-mouse, the GUI to manage mouse/touchpad settings needs to be adapted to work with xinput. There are some scripts here in the forum that, at least, allow users to toggle the touchpad on/off with a simple click.

The apt “message” stating lack of permissions, when trying to install an off-line .deb package, that users tend to think means that the package did not get correctly installed…

I think that sums all the problematic details I found on the updated version of antiX 23.1… So except for a few details, it’s almost “perfect”

P.

ile

PPC, togshowdesk
                                First thing a user points at
                                is any resource monitor and says,
                                How do i get rid of that.
                                , So do not worry about Conky disappear; use ShowDesktop.

and then find silliness with quirks not for public, really.
                                ToggleCmd {MacroCmd {ShowDesktop}{exec wmctrl -R Conky}} {MacroCmd {ShowDesktop}{showdesktop}}

oh,, plus skippy-xd on right-click. (middle-click empty is Toolbar menu.)
                                ToggleCmd {MacroCmd {ShowDesktop}{exec wmctrl -R Conky}} {MacroCmd {ShowDesktop}{showdesktop}} :\ :exec skippy-xd

plus right-click on Menu menu. ( On MX there is Menu scroll[mouse4] for rofi. not here.)
                                session.screen0.toolbar.button.homenu.commands: :ToggleCmd {Rootmenu}{HideMenus} :\ :rootmenu

olsztyn

Today’s Control Centre update appears to break some functionality that was working in the past week, as my testing indicates, namely Samba Shared Folders is now failing in two areas:

– Mounting shares residing on SMB 1.0 devices no longer works it seems. They are still showing in the listing but attaching them fails now. It was working fine last week, thanks to @Robin’s fix about a week ago.
                                  – Mounting any shares (whether residing on SMB 1.0 devices or on SMB 2.0 devices) to Targetfolder now pops up an error message saying that mounting to /media/demo cannot be done due to multiple mountpoints. This was working until yesterday. Mounting to Targetfolder was specified selecting a subfolder of demo, designated for mounting of the selected share, not demo itself.

So it seems that fixing the Samba box behavior under Control Centre broke some real functionality in result…
                                  Just reporting my test results, not complaining, as for my ‘production’ use of my SMB NAS servers I continue to use other methods to connect to SMB shares. So from my perspective there is no rush to fix SMB Manager Shared Folders functionality. I just hope it will be fixed eventually in the future, but no rush whatsoever…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 219 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.