antiX-23.1 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23.1 released

• This topic has 218 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-5:33 pm by Stéphane Ascoët.
Viewing 9 posts - 211 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

Wanting a fresh download of antiX 23.1and safe live USB creation I followed the download link on the forum.

I tried first with LibreWolf, could not see obvious checksums.
      A follow up with Vivaldi, still no obvious checksums to be seen.

I found what I needed on a local mirror and downloaded manually,
      a new user would have been lead towards setting up antiX
      with a possibly corrupted download.

Following the manual download source Forge link also lets me see downloads complete with available checksums.

May I humbly request the problem of checksum visibility should be addressed.

After my download of antiX23.1 I just compared sha256sum check Failed, that is, in my experience unusual..

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
      Robin

antiX 23.1 … I tried first with LibreWolf, could not see obvious checksums.
        A follow up with Vivaldi, still no obvious checksums to be seen. …
        May I humbly request the problem of checksum visibility should be addressed.

Hi @Xunzi_23

All checksums are present at download page simply. Just scroll down to bottom of the page to see them (see screenshot). Is this not possible with the browsers you mention? Maybe there is something wrong with either the browsers or with the site, which could be fixed.

Concerning the checksum mismatch: For me the checksum files provided at sourceforge worked, had used the shasum, and compared with shasum -c. (This was the 64bit and 32 bit runit full versions.) So you might want to countercheck the checksums with the ones given at the download page from above, and if still mismatch, try re-downloading the ISO. Maybe it was broken on transport.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Xunzi_23

Hi Robin,
          I wrote immediately Obvious, I asked two new users to do a download and follow the cheat sheet I gave them.
          After download do find or download sha256sum do a comparison check following given instructions.

One on an android phone for download and USB stick creation as I have his little used Asus laptop in for repair and
          later a fresh install under guidance. A lady user has a laptop.

Neither found the checksums. Both are above average intelligence, actually one way above and recently introduced to antiX.
          Both were windoze only users before will 11 made their laptops unusable except as unwieldy doorstoppers.

They also find scrolling past manual download link and a long list of mirrors is not in the slightest intuitive or obvious.

A lot of work goes in to making antiX easier to install setup and use, a small positioning change for checksums would, I am
          sure help new users.

regarding if a checksum mismatch occurs a user should do a fresh download and check.

My download was not ok, one from a local mirror, slow download but checksum matched.

Robin

I wrote immediately Obvious

So then this is not an issue with the browser you have tried, what was what I took from your posting, since the checksums are obviously present at the page, and are probably present also with both browsers you mention.

And yes, you are right, they could be placed in a more prominent position actually. I guess a link from the upper part of the page to its footer, labelled “Checksums” would do the trick already. Until somebody might have implemented this into the page you might just add the line “Scroll down to see checksums or download the respective shasum file along with the ISO and compare it using shasum -c ›checksumfile‹” to your instruction cheat sheet. “Or follow the detailed instructions for integrity check given on the footer of the initial download page.” would also point people to the place where to look for the checksums from your sheet. There are easy means for self-help.

Xunzi_23

Hi nochmal Robin, here we can and do use telegram as a support tool, using that the user can explain his
              problem and show his screen, i help as and when I can. If necessary have an in house troubleshoot..

My concern is for those who are new to Linux or antiX, unsure, uncertain how to setup or having problems, in the
              end maybe posting about unusual problems.
              Recently at least one new forum member asking for assistance admitted he had not checked his download, his
              problems were solved with a reinstall from a checked download.

How many others just called antiX buggy or crap and moved to mint, or even discouraged back to doze.

PPC

I’ll probably will be busy for a while, so I decided to post about what I think about antiX 23.1:
                – It works almost 100% perfect, out of the box, if your language is English and you have no advanced needs in what concerns using the OS.
                – If you are not using English (and your language is pt or pt_br) OR you want the Samba Management GUI now included in Control Centre to work correctly, you’ll have to update antiX (in the case of non English speaking users, run the command I advised some posts back, so zzzfm is rendered correctly in you language).
                – If you want to configure mouse or touchpad settings, please download and use the GUI that is being tested for that propose (over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/reimplementing-a-gui-mouse-configuration-tool-in-antix-23/ )
                – If you are using a localized (translated) version of antiX, please, when using the applications that manages the system/user language, do not click the button to translate the menu- you may end up with the first layer of the antiX in English! – I’ll try to find a quick fix for that, when I can. EDIT: I have a proposed revision for the script that “translates” the antix menu, that I urge non English speaking users to test: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/proposal-new-version-for-usr-local-lib-desktop-menu-translate-menus-antix/
                – If you are managing files with very large names (particularly with Cyrillic characters), please see the above posts about the limitations of antiX’s Trash Can- eventually a fix will be included in antiX too, to solve that (a work around was already proposed- Many thanks for that).
                – On faster computers, Ad Blocker seems to not work properly, for some reason. I reported that a while ago, here in the forum, but no one offered help on that subject.
                – Recently, on a thread here, it became apparent that connman, as used in antiX, can’t really deal with (at least some) proxies… a work-around or GUI will eventually be required to solve that.

As you can see, except for a tiny localization problem that affects the default file manager, most problems in antiX 23.1 are on very fringe cases, and most of them can be solved with a simple update.

Suggestion to @anticapitalista – I proposed a revised and slightly more powerful version of antiX-Updater. I don’t think many people tested it, but it should stop with false positives about apt already being run AND allow for a simple GUI to remind users to update (if that option is enabled in antiX’s startup file, nothing is forced on the user)
                It seems that my commit about a new fluxbox config file is not ideal – since it was reported that my proposed “Show desktop” entry works perfectly BUT requires a dependency that is not always present (but all my other suggestions, about including “buttons” for more options on the toolbar still stands).

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
                Robin

SCSI icon in Control Center went missing, once again…

Confirmed. After creating now a new USB stick from scratch using the final 64 bit runit full ISO and updating it to the reccent state from the repos, this icon is actually missing. The icon seems no longer to live in the former folder, so it is not found by antiXcc anymore.

Solution is pretty easy:
                  Either copy the Icon Noia_64_apps_kcmscsi.png from the /usr/share/icons/antix-papirus folder to the folder /usr/share/pixmaps,
                  OR remove the appendix “2” from $ICONS2 so it reads $ICONS merely, on lines 974, 975, 979, 983 in the file /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh

You can use one of these as a hotfix.

Robin

trash-cli causes bsod … best solution would be to file a bug report at the package maintainers

Btw, Bug report was filed to debian, so this issue will hopefully be resolved soon.
                    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1065697

Stéphane Ascoët

My complete proposed post install script would be something similar to this:

#!/bin/bash
                      file="$HOME/.config/zzzfm/zzzfm_already_localized"
                      content=$(cat $file)
                      if [ -e "$file" ]; then

P.

I would have put content=$(cat $file) after having tested for $file existence. And I'm not sure that the test for $file content works perfectly without flaws if it contains several lines.

Viewing 9 posts - 211 through 219 (of 219 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.