antiX-23.1 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23.1 released

• This topic has 218 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-5:33 pm by Stéphane Ascoët.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    ProwlerGr

If all goes well, in future antiX versions really are “multi-initsystem”, anticapitalista will have to create just half of the isos, so that will mean about half the work, so he will be less tired, and thus, less prone to making mistakes…

I was thinking that when @anticapitalista started the antiX project there probably was a bigger need for 4 options per architecture and there was only one init everybody accepted at the time.
      Obviously the runit options resulted in this volume doubling & I’m not convinced that 16 official iso’s is something that was really ever needed.

I reckon it makes sense that he revisits this for the next release, especially if we go full ‘init-diversity’ style masters.

We could for example go for 3 official options per architecture (core – server – desktop), producing 6 total official iso’s which are much easier to manage & do quality control checks.
      Respins are easy these days with the tools already available, so any exotic needs could be addressed with “semi-official” respin point releases, similar to what the MX devs do.

Brian Masinick

@PPC the overall updated release is VERY good; I’ve been running the pre-release of antiX 23.1 for quite some time; it’s virtually the same as antiX 23 for ordinary, every day Anerican English activity. Even the new apps work just fine. The issues are really minor – there was a fix that @robin found for a relatively minor issue, and I believe there may be one or two missing or incorrect localizations; those can be (and I believe already are) fixed.

Either way, this release is right up there with all of the other releases in terms of overall stability, efficiency, and the ease of use factor is as good or better than ever. Users should not be reluctant to install it; at most, a few package corrections will fix anything that may be “off”.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Oh, and if any of that is questionable, I’ve been using antiX 23.1 release since I logged on today; it’s my main distro, though I do have THREE antiX instances installed on my every day system – antiX 23.1 Full runit, antiX 23.1 init-diversity, and antiX 23 Full runit. The first and the third are virtually identical. Init-diversity was created as a user contributed respin; when you use the sysVinit or runit instance, it’s close to normal; I find it works well too, but there are a few things enabled that I have turned off in my other two instances, so they are a little more “nimble”; nevertheless, all three are suitable for every day work and I’ve spent as much as 6-7 hours on any of them on any given day. GREAT stuff!

EDIT: I did a little fine tuning on my Init-diversity respin, and I used runit; no surprise, the performance improved there too! So ALL of these systems, even PROTOTYPE proof of concept (POC) variations not only work, they function with very few issues; for me, I have no personal issues remaining even on the POC!

--
          Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Very quiet on testing of newly release FINAL antiX 23.1. This clearly means to me that aside a few issues raised by @Robin on 32 bit ISO, no further issues…
            I have been running antiX 23.1 64 bit configured from runit full ISO and I have not noticed any malfunctioning.
            I am converting all day-to-day operation to fresh image going forward…
            The only extra item I was looking to find was ‘antiX-Samba-Manager’ @Robin was finalizing and not clear how to enable it, but this goes beyond the released image, as we know…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

Very quiet on testing of newly release FINAL antiX 23.1. This clearly means to me that aside a few issues raised by @Robin on 32 bit ISO, no further issues…
              I have been running antiX 23.1 64 bit configured from runit full ISO and I have not noticed any malfunctioning.
              I am converting all day-to-day operation to fresh image going forward…
              The only extra item I was looking to find was ‘antiX-Samba-Manager’ @Robin was finalizing and not clear how to enable it, but this goes beyond the released image, as we know…

I do not know exactly how many people had been running the early preview of antiX 23.1. Of course, that one included only runit, but on this one, that is all I have been running. I have gone BACK and FORTH between all four of the init versions in the init-diversity; I did run sysVinit with antiX 23, and I’ve tested it plenty over the years so I didn’t feel other than a few people trying out various images a rigorous test suite was needed; we DID that prior to the antiX 23 release.

I always test whenever a new base level becomes available, but I no longer have any 32-bit hardware either, so I’m unable to test all sixteen of the images; I also can’t run Net at all any more, and I can only run Core and Base on a couple of my systems since they come with older kernels only; what I consistently do is use the base levels I am able to boot and I use and test every day; in fact, I’ll even run an Alpha build, as long as it works, and use it all day; usually they DO work; on the rare occasion I run into a show stopper I report it immediately. I know we do have a few users.

@rokytnji has been able to put antiX 23.1 on a couple of his systems. I hope @robin @caprea @calciumsodium @abc-nix and a few others have tried stuff too. @ppc admitted he hadn’t run everything, but he’s helped develop and test some of the tools we’ve implemented, so while we do not have a huge amount of formal testing here, we have already managed to identify and resolve a couple of things; that’s very good with what we have. Hopefully it will be enough.

--
              Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

demo@antix1:~
                $ inxi -S
                System:
                Host: antix1 Kernel: 6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64
                Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 Distro: antiX-23.1_x64-full Arditi del Popolo 21
                February 2024
                $

$ sudo dpkg -l > All_ISO_Packages_antiX_23.1_full_64_bits_SysVinit.txt
                $

marcelocripe

$ inxi -S
                  System:
                  Host: antix1 Kernel: 5.10.197-antix.1-486-smp arch: i686 bits: 32
                  Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 Distro: antiX-23.1_386-full Arditi del Popolo 21
                  February 2024
                  $

$ sudo dpkg -l > All_ISO_Packages_antiX_23.1_full_32_bits_SysVinit.txt
                  [sudo] senha para demo:
                  $

Robin

That should be really easy meanwhile, after anticapitalista has put the package this cheeky monkey already had created long before I asked him (since there IS a 0.1 version package in antiX 23.1 ISO, while I had believed the files were copied unpackaged into it, since I didn’t see a package in the apt listings) up to the repos and updated it already to 0.2 🙂 So the question raised by @PPC over in the other thread and also my appeal to build a package from it were outdated already the moment these requests were posted; we just didn’t know this at that point of time 🙂 Many thanks @anticapitalista! As always you are miles ahead of us.

@olsztyn
                    Just do sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install antix-samba-manager
                    Then it should show up in antiX control centre immediately (if you have this up to date as well)

Additional hint: Please don’t close the installer window which will come up if some prerequisites are not installed by its X in window border in the packaged version. For a bugfix either wait for next package update of antix-samba-manager or copy manually the file from https://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/antix-samba-manager/-/raw/main/bin/antiX-setup-samba-shares?ref_type=heads&inline=false to your /usr/local/bin folder, overwriting the currently packaged version, and make it executable. This updates antiX-setup-samba-shares to version 0.88 in which version this issue is addressed.

The very same issue will occur in antiXcc, when installing a package from within it, and then closing the installer abrupt and prematurely by the X in window border instead of waiting for it to finish. I’m about to fix this in aCC by transferring the additional lines from samba manager to antiX control centre, which share the very same installer subroutines.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

olsztyn

Just do sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install antix-samba-manager
                      Then it should show up in antiX control centre immediately (if you have this up to date as well)

Thank you @Robin…
                      After update and installation I see ‘Shared Folders’ icon changed, which is indicative of new version. It works fine, aside from the fact it does not see SMB 1.0 devices.
                      Apparently you were not able to fix it yet, but it is OK. The SMB Manager works nicely now. It is a great asset to antiX, even if not handling SMB 1.0 devices yet.
                      Thanks much.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Robin

It is a great asset to antiX, even if not handling SMB 1.0 devices yet.

@olsztyn
                        antiX Samba Manager handles SMB 1.0 devices properly now, I had switched for testing my SMB server to accept SMB v1.0 protocol connections again. If you like, we can do some testing together over in the samba-manager thread, since we’ll have to find out still why it can’t see your specific device. I reckon it relies on NetBIOS, which is actually not supported by now, but it might have another reason as well.

PPC

OK. I downloaded and did a small live test of antiX 23.1 final 64bits Full runit, without network access:

Great:
                          -it booted fine, came up localized in pt-pt, no missing boot messages that I could notice
                          -it’s still incredibly fast: firefox comes up about as fast as in the installed version, app-select appears almost instantly (way faster than in the installed version, for some reason)
                          -the new Control Centre options do come up and seem to work (no network access so it was a very limited test)
                          -sound works out of the box, volumeicon shows up fine
                          -In all fluid, generally well translated User Interface, with easy to use apps and GUIS

Not so great:
                          – For some reason the new zzzfm contextual menu entries (meld and search for doublets) and WORST OF ALL, the Trash Bookmark and the Send to Trash contextual menu are not localized. I went trough lots and lots of workarounds so antiX 23 could have have the new features completely localized. That work was lost in 23.1. Non English speaking users (assuming that bug happens on all languages) will think poorly of antiX if they see one of the most used applications, the File Manager, partly in another language, specially because in the previous version, they saw it, out of the box, well localized. I do know that even if I update the live system, there’s no way that will be automatically fixed.
                          – I’m beginning to sound like Marcelo, but I took the time to localize the .desktop files. Those localizations do not show up (I don’t know if they will show up if I update the system)
                          – The new Samba management option does come up in CC… but I can’t find a button to Create a samba share. I know the script has to be updated in order to work fine (that alone is not so great), but does the updated version include a “create share” button?

Conclusions, running live, without updating it:
                          If you use antiX in English, and don’t use Samba shares, I guess this version will be 100% perfect for you.
                          If you require access to Samba shares, you have to update the system (not so bad, since, to use shares you do have to be connected to a network)
                          If you just want to use the file manager in your own language, then 23.1 is a step back (at least out of the box- probably localization problems are or can be solved with an update, but even if that happens, you do have to use the terminal in order to apply those localizations, so, it’s not ideal for most new users). This may be a little detail, but details do matter, specially after such a long test period… So for me, I say antiX 23.1 is 98%, not 100% there.

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                          PPC

I retested antiX 23.1 final Live with network access, after updating it (only the samba GUI and Firefox-esr were updated):

-It seems there’s no GUI way to start the extremely nice interface that allows users to setup Samba shared folders (antiX-setup-samba-shares)… A single button on the Samba manager GUI, available in CC would that care of that… Having a very well done and useful GUI without a GUI way to launch it means that the people that need it the most, won’t be able to use it!
                            -Simply launching antiX-setup-samba-shares, of course says it requires to install Samba, in order to share a folder. That is to be expected. What I did not expect is that, it fails to install Samba. Not even using the script with sudo seems to help. The current work around for it is installing samba on it’s own and then launching the script
                            -At least in live mode, if I install samba and then configure a shared folder, the mount-manager (launched from CC, and please note:in Live mode) insists that Samba is not installed. If I launch “antiX-mount-samba-shares” after having set up a share, it just exits with the “finished” terminal output. For now the GUI’s are not localized (no hurry on that, let the translator team take care of that, I think for now only the pt-pt localization is finished)
                            (sorry for the bad news @Robin, there’s at least some bugs- most are probably due to running live- I’ve never been able to make shares work in live mode- but the impossibility to install SAMBA does not seem related to that)

-The message on the top of IceWM CC is not localized, other than that, the new gtk GUI seems flawless, and much lighter on RAM (it launches much faster, on slower devices). Some of anticapitalista icon choices seem a bit strange to me (like the one about displaying the toolbar on the top or the bottom of the screen, and not using a flag for the toolbar language indicator, but hey, it’s his choice)

– The Radio and TV apps work great, out of the box (yes, radio does, on first run, display some warning about being updated, but that’s ok).
                            – suspension works, the automatic suspension after the time out set in CC, works
                            – At least, in Live mode, antiX 23.1 does not have any kind of login problem, that ALL previous final antiX versions since 19.X to 23 had on my Dell desktop (that forced me to restart the window manager, re-login and only then would the window manager work and correctly update the screen)! Thanks for keeping whatever solved that, in the test versions, on the final version, anticapitalista!

Now for the extremely good localization news:
                            -In antiX 23 Firefox-esr came localized in many languages, including pt-pt… now, on 23.1, LibreOffice is localized (at least in pt-pt) out of the box! Many thanks for that, anticapitalista, that’s a big deal, for non English speaking Portuguese users (that more than makes up for the unlocalized strings in zzzFM)!

Small how-to solve zzzfm localization problems:
                            -To fix the non localized “Trash” bookmark: right click the Trash bookmark > left click “Proprieties” > change the “Name” field to whatever you want ex: “Reciclagem”, in pt-pt > left click “OK”
                            -To fix the non localized contextual menu entries: right click anywhere on the main space that shows files, in zzzfm’s window > Right click the entry you want to change (ex: “Send to Trash”) > left click “Proprieties” > change the “Name” field to whatever you want ex: “Enviar para a Reciclagem”, in pt-pt > left click “OK”).
                            Repeat this for any other contextual menu entries you want to change, adapting the text that is displayed in the menu.

After this small procedure, antiX 23.1 is almost perfect, in pt-pt. Since most people don’t use shares, I would say that, for the regular computer user, antiX is 99,9% perfect!

P.

PPC

While testing antix 23.1 in pt-br I noticed that the new CC localization (that fix the huge gap that is displayed between the tabs and the buttons, because of an “/” added to that localization) was not used (no problem, sooner or later, when CC is updated, it will carry the new localization file and fix that)

NOTE TO THE TRANSLATION TEAM: this is exactly the reason why I ALWAYS recommend that the translation team should never ever use special characters that are not present on the original next. Even /, a quotation mark, an exclamation point, etc may affect how a program (usually a bash script) runs. If the original text that you are translating does not include “/”, don’t take any poetic license and decide to add it for yourself… If the original text includes some strange words with strange symbols, they usually are variables. Don’t translate those. It’s better to have some words not localized in your language than not having a program work at all in your language, like it happened recently in Italian… If you don’t know what you are translating, don’t translate: if gtk-back, etc don’t sound like real words, don’t translate them. It may be, for example, the name of an icon… sometimes the people that create bash scripts don’t know or can’t for some reason to make only the pure part of a text “translatable”, and they end up marking for translation a string of text that includes a variable or the name of an icon, etc… When in doubt, don’t translate and/or ask around in the forum about what to do…

I also noticed that the GUI, created by Xecure, that allows to change system language has the following problems, that I’ll try to address, sooner or later:
                              – In pt-br (but not in pt-pt) it displays, an initial nag screen en English, asking users to help localize antiX to their language. There are at least 2 problems with this window and it’s logic- antiX is very well localized in pt-br and also… it’s all in English. A non English speaking user that clicks the “change system language” CC option is faced with a wall of text, without even a recognizable “exit” button. In this particular case, I hope no one will object if I change the button that closes that “nag screen” to a simple “X”, that is the universal symbol to close something on a computer.
                              – Clicking the “translate menu” button has, funny enough, the opposite effect. If the first layer of the menu is localized, it sets it back to English- not so funny for non English speaking users, that are trying to adapt their system to their language, right? The part of the script that tries to localize the first layer of the menu has either to be disabled (simply updating the application sub-menu, so it shows up in the selected locale) or updated to try to copy from the SKEL folder, the correct menu configuration file for the window manager, in the user’s locale.

Once again, nothing that affects English speaking users, but a couple of things (particularly the “translate menu” button) that may make antiX unusable, or harder to use for many users across the world.

P.

Robin

it fails to install Samba.

Please, update to latest version as of yesterday from my gitlab. The first stable version of antiX Samba manager didn’t make it into the ISOs unfortunately.

And then, I have spotted a bug in the installer routines which are shared by Samba manager and antiX cc and (some other tools to come), which causes the calling application not to return to screen if user exits the installer prematurely by using the X in window border. This happens, due to the fact, that under this special condition the windowed installer has no means to send the “go on” signal (by removing the flag file from /dev/shm) to the calling app. This was addressed in the 0.88 version only yesterday. Please check out whether this version fixes also your issues.

Please note: The issue is not fixed in antiXcc by now, I’m working on it. Will come in a next update of antiXcc. Only Samba manager (ver 0.88) has got the fix by now.

probably due to running live- I’ve never been able to make shares work in live mode

I’m running it on live all the time. For me it works fine, on live 32 and 64 bit both (full runit versions). Maybe you can narrow it down a bit which step causes it to fail for you? Maybe some dependency is missing? Or some prerequisite setting not met still we have to take care for and make sure it is set properly by the packages?

Robin

For some reason the new zzzfm contextual menu entries (meld and search for doublets) and WORST OF ALL, the Trash Bookmark and the Send to Trash contextual menu are not localized. I went trough lots and lots of workarounds so antiX 23 could have have the new features completely localized. That work was lost in 23.1.

For me these entries on a virgin antiX 23.1 runit 32bit full ISO come up properly localised. No translation is lost at all. What ISO are you running? Please check for the presence of the of antix-zzz-extensions.mo in your locale folder.

———-
                                  Update:
                                  I have right now counterchecked: The file is present in German language LC_MESSAGES folder, but NOT in Portuguese… No wonder you don’t have translations. Fetch your .po file from transifex and let it compile to .mo, put the result into your locale folder and retest. You know the procedure.
                                  Obviously the portuguese translations didn’t make it into the ISOs either.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 219 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.