antiX-23.1 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23.1 released

• This topic has 218 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-5:33 pm by Stéphane Ascoët.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Robin

Hopefully this description helps

Many thanks @olsztyn

Yes this helps.
      Obviously a running instance is not closed properly if it is called from within control centre.

Enter the following commands into a terminal window in case it won’t come up (maybe you need to repeat them):

kill -15 $(pidof -x antiX-mount-samba-shares)
      kill -15 $(pidof -x antiX-samba-mgr)

Could you please retest, but now calling antiX samba manager directly from console instead from antiX control centre:

Command is, e.g. in Roxterm:
      antiX-samba-mgr

Do you have still issues to mount or unmount multiple shares one after the other?

We’ll have to find out what makes the scripts fail if called from within antiX control centre.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

olsztyn

Could you please retest, but now calling antiX samba manager directly from console instead from antiX control centre:

Yes, it works. When Samba-mgr is started from the command prompts, not from Control Centre, behavior is correct. It allows subsequent listings of available shares and mount attempts after failure. So it is from the Control Centre when it does not behave.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Robin

Yes, it works. When Samba-mgr is started from the command prompts, not from Control Centre, behavior is correct.

Many thanks @olsztyn So this bug is squashed thanks your help!

Some more investigation was needed still, but now I knew what to look for.

Short version: There was an infinite loop running amok when script is called from within antiX control centre. This loop drives the pulsating bar, and was inherited from the original share mounter. I wonder how this one can have ever worked from within antiX control centre, this mechanism was on of the things not changed, since it seemed to work fine when running it directly from console.

Some more details:
          First I’ve tried to change the startup commands for the script within antiXcc, since like Olsztyn I assumed, this must be an antiXcc thing, after script runs fine directly from console. All in vain:

bash -c '/usr/local/bin/antiX-samba-mgr &'
          setsid bash /usr/local/bin/antiX-samba-mgr &
          bash -c 'coproc /usr/local/bin/antiX-samba-mgr; disown'
          bash -c \"bash -l /usr/local/bin/antiX-samba-mgr &\"
          env -i /bin/bash -l -c '/usr/local/bin/antiX-samba-mgr &'

Whatever I tried, it threw broken pipe errors after first time running the network scan. I know, running commands from within a gtkdialog action tag can be pretty tricky, we are talking about running a bash script on a dash shell running within gtkdialog action tags running within another bash script. You have to satisfy three syntax’ the same time, partly requiring conflictive expressions to be applied the same time. But here it’s about starting a script from within this control centre construction merely, not running commands directly within the action tags. It should work, at least when additionally calling a bash layer on which it is run… Nope. So I decided, there must be something living inside the called script itself keeping it from exiting properly, so the mounter cant run a second time in this environment, even when it works fine when directly called from console. And yes, there was something: an endless loop, driving a pulsating bar in another window. Similar construction as used in antiXradio, and I remember I had to fix exactly the same thing therein also already: The loop isn’t killed, when the pulsating window is closed later. That bug was inherited from the former share mounter, from which originates all the great network shares lookup stuff designed by @PPC.
          Now, the solution is easy actually: We don’t let it run in an infinite loop, but in a loop which runs as long a flag file exists. Now simply removing the flag file is enough already to break the loop whenever we want this. And we want the loop seeing closed either when the pulsating window is closed, or when script is exited prematurely by user interaction (X in the window border). The former simply by adding the rm command to the window close command, the latter realised by writing the removal command into the cleanup function, called on each regular exit. That’s it, and now the script can run multiple successive mounts from within the control centre.

@olsztyn Please uptdate your antiX-mount-samba-shares file to ver 2.18 from my git, don’t forget to make it executable after download, browser will probably mess with the exec flags for ugo. Can you confirm it works now from within antiX control centre for you also?

@PPC Please could you confirm that the installer issue you have reported, also only occurs when the script runs from within control centre? Is this reproducable? Then we’ll have to investigate further what could cause this, not properly detecting samba being present by using which within a default if clause statement. I have double checked, the if clause syntax I originally have used in the script for this check works fine when run from console, even in a dash shell. So there must be something else I’m overlooking. A vague guess: The environment variables might be changed when running it from within the gtkdialog action tags, the way in which antiX control centre calls the script. But if actually the path to the which command wasn’t defined, so it throws an error constantly instead of returning the expected result, shouldn’t fail all the other commands in the script as well? I’m somewhat clueless where or what to look for to squash this issue.

Any help from experienced devs highly welcome. (Please keep in mind, I’m not a programmer at all. It’s done all by applying pure logic and reading the manpages.)

Third thing waiting to be solved: The intrinsically unneeded request for a password when mounting another share. This is owed to the fact, that some of the mount methods require a sudo password, since udevil fails on mounting these types of shares or refuses to accept the mountpoints. Hence we need to run the mount command directly, having it sudoed. But gksu wouldn’t forward the error messages to a script variable by means of a pipe or redirection if mount failed, so these are caught by a temporary error text file, written with root permissions, and read later into a variable to be displayed. But… once read, we have to get rid of the error message file, which was written by root. If user closes the script before this file was removed, or refuses to key in the sudo password if it has expired accidentally when cleanup tries to remove the file, the error message file will stay on disk and will cause trouble in next run. So on startup we have to make sure the file is removed properly, which requires the sudo password again, remember, file was written by root. That’s the basic setup.
          Now, surely I tried to convince gksu to accept an additional chmod or chown command, so default users could remove the temporary error file later without needing sudo permissions, so the password request in cleanup can be dropped. But unfortunately I found no way to add the command to the mount lines I have set up, run by gksu: each attempt made gksu complaining about unknown arguments or invalid syntax, even when the command was grouped and put into a bash -c statement. Gksu seems to be pretty squeamish.

Also for this issue help of experienced devs is highly welcome.

For now, as a dirty workaround, I’ll add a check whether the file exists instead of trying to remove it straightaway, so the sudo password will be only asked if the file was actually not removed from a former run. But as said, the clean way would be to make the file removable by everybody on creation time already, so no sudo is needed later to remove it.

Btw @Olsztyn, this button readys “mount another one” since there was simply no time to add a routine to replace the text if the listing is still empty (script was supposed to be ready in time for antiX 23.1) This automatic change of button label can be added to antiX-samba-mgr part of the script set easily once the more pressing issues are resolved.

Forum Admin
          Dave

what is a doublette?

Hmmm… I’m baffled. I was perfectly sure this word exists also in English language. Will look up. “Doubletten” are entities of some kind, existing more than once, as a precise 1:1 copy. In French, where the expression originates, it spells “Doublones”, if I recollect properly. Maybe I was wrong, and the English language doesn’t know this word? Will have to look it up in my good old oxford advanced learners dictionary 🙂

Maybe not in British English but it is used around here. It is spelt doublet. (Though I have seen it as Doublette) Interesting though my understanding is not the same as duplicate (or 1:1 copy) but resembles it. For example “identical” twins are not duplicates of each other but each is a doublet of the other. Or two pairs of boots are not duplicates but they are doublets.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

olsztyn

@olsztyn Please uptdate your antiX-mount-samba-shares file to ver 2.18 from my git, don’t forget to make it executable after download, browser will probably mess with the exec flags for ugo. Can you confirm it works now from within antiX control centre for you also?

Confirmed. It works now from the Control Centre as well, with the new version (2.18) downloaded from your GitHub.
              Thank you for the fix…

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

Interesting – to me a doublet is a type of jacket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublet_(clothing)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Robin

Seems there exist some more meanings in English language:

»Doublet is a word derived from the Latin duplus, “twofold, twice as much”, and is used to indicate a pair of identical, similar, or related things.«

Just call the disambiguation page instead of the special clothing lemma:
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublet

Brian Masinick

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/doublet

noun
                    1. a close-fitting outer garment, with or without sleeves and sometimes having a short skirt, worn by men in the Renaissance.

2. an undergarment, quilted and reinforced with mail, worn beneath armor.

3. a pair of like things; couple.

4. one of a pair of like things; duplicate.

5. Linguistics. one of two or more words in a language that are derived from the same source, especially when one is learned while the other is popular, as coy and quiet, both taken from the same Latin word, quiet directly, and coy by way of Old French.

6. Printing. an unintentional repetition in printed matter or proof.

7. doublets, a throw of a pair of dice in which the same number of spots turns up on each die.

8. Jewelry. a counterfeit gem made of two pieces, either of smaller gemstones, inferior stones, or glass.: Compare imitation doublet, triplet (def. 6).

9. Optics. a compound lens made of two thin lenses shaped so as to reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations.

--
                    Brian Masinick

PPC

Not being a native speaker, I just assumed it was some strange little used word, like “antics”

As I assumed, written slightly different, it’s really an English word, that, according to anticapitalista is not used in the UK, but according to Dave it’s used in the USA.
                      I think it’s safer to just go with something everyone can understand, like “duplicate”, maybe?

P.

Robin

I think it’s safer to just go with something everyone can understand, like “duplicate”, maybe?

↓↓↓

Done!

PPC

@Robin – I launched the latest SAMBA GUI script you made available. It ran fine. And yes, using your scripts now allows me to share folders, even in Live mode – that never worked with the procedure I made available here in the forum to create shares (adapted to work in antiX from what I saw on an youtube video, probably Chris Titus, a couple of years ago or so). I can’t, right now, test running the scripts from the CC…

P.

olsztyn

Robin wrote:

Confirmed. It works now from the Control Centre as well, with the new version (2.18) downloaded from your GitHub.
                            Thank you for the fix…

Hi @Robin…
                            What I tested this morning was just the fix for the Control Centre for the Samba Manager display on ‘Mount another’ click. I did not re-test at that time the complete scenario of mounting a share after the fix.

New issue seems now that the choice of Targetfolder, to mount share under ‘demo’ in a designated folder under ‘demo’ results in permission error to access ‘demo’ folder. So in result, mounting share fails due to permission error to access demo and subfolders under.
                            Mounting share to Targetfolder was working yesterday so I am thinking that this not working today has to do with the fix earlier today (version 2.18 if I remember correctly).
                            Mounting shares to user designated target folders is quite important so hopefully it can be fixed…

Another, very minor observation, not a new one and of little importance comparing to the one above:
                            When selecting choice of targetfolder the window that appears shows demo among other folders and a choice below ‘Other’. Clicking on ‘demo’ folder does not lead to showing subfolders there, although it should to proceed to selecting target folder. It is clicking on ‘Another’ that allows this. This was yesterday too., but my point is that the procedure should allow to click on ‘demo’ in the list of folders to proceed to subfolder under demo, designated to mount share.
                            This is rather minor issue to the one above but would be great if it can be corrected…

ile

Mister Brian
                              I go with doublet number eight: created stone. a valuable table set on less valuable base.
                              Not much of that now we have lab created stones.

I had a [twice struck] doublet nickel of U.S.Mint; cannot find it; I think i mistakenly spent it.

PPC

@anticapitalista – just in case you missed it… It seems, as per this post, that antix 23.1 is missing a package that was default up to antiX 23: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/synclient-command-not-found/#post-134850 (xserver-xorg-input-synaptics), making the mouse configuration GUI in Control Center almost useless. Was that by design? Does that package have any problem?

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                                • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                                abc-nix

It seems, as per this post, that antix 23.1 is missing a package that was default up to antiX 23

Discussion for this started in this page.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 219 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.