antiX-23.1 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23.1 released

• This topic has 218 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-5:33 pm by Stéphane Ascoët.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    PPC

@abc-nix – many thanks. I did remember I had problems making the touchpad of my netbook work in antiX 23… “libinput” was ringing in my head, but I failed to remember that the problems I had was because libinput replaced synaptics… I’m not even 50 and my memory is failing 🙁
      So, I guess ds-mouse and ds-mouse.py need to be reworked to enable/disable the touchpad without using synaptics… I did write a small GUI script that did that, before Dave expanded ds-mouse to also have that feature… I’ll have to dig around for it and check how the hell it worked and try to adapt it to antix 23 and 23.1…

EDIT: I attached the script. I’m not currently on a computer that has a touchpad, so I can’t test it, in antiX 23 or 23.1. Please test it. If it works, all Dave has to do is change his script to run the simple commands my simple GUI includes.

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
      Attachments:
      Stéphane Ascoët

Ctrl + Alt + F2 etc.
        It fails in Virtualbox

How do you make a “Ctrl + Alt +” in Virtualbox ? I never managed to

Robin

It seems, as per this post, that antix 23.1 is missing a package

Can confirm. On my notebook the console command I always have to use no longer works on antiX 23.1 full runit 32 bit (live)

$ synclient TouchpadOFF=1
          bash: synclient: command not found

Even when installing the missing package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, it comes up with an error instead of doing something useful:

$ synclient TouchpadOFF=1
          Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

No idea how to load this driver. Do I have to apply some modprobe?

No idea how to disable the touchpad now. But it keeps me from fast typing, since the cursor jumps around fiercly when not contorting the hands so they come not in reach of it, being placed right benaeth the space bar. So all the text keyed in gets corrupted, partly deleted and even to windows of other programs.

And I can confirm also, the mouse configuration tool in control centre doesn’t do anything, besides looking nicely. None of the options presented are functional in antiX 23.1.

————————–

Edit: While still keying in this one, there was another posting parallel:

I attached the script.

Does this script switch the touchpad off?

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

Please test it. If it works

Result:
            bash: xinput: command not found

$ echo $TOUCHPAD
            ‹nothing›

Seems not to be working either on antiX 23.1

Meanwhile I do wonder why the touchpad is working at all… What drives it, if not xinput and not synaptic?

Robin

Soulution seems to be already over here, just saw this new thread: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/synclient-command-not-found/

Seems ds-mouse-antix needs to be reinstalled after installing the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package.

—————
              Update:
              Nope. This either doesn’t make the synclient TouchpadOff=1 command work again, nor the mouse config tool in control centre becomes functional.

Brian Masinick

Soulution seems to be already over here, just saw this new thread: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/synclient-command-not-found/

Seems ds-mouse-antix needs to be reinstalled after installing the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package.

—————
                Update:
                Nope. This either doesn’t make the synclient TouchpadOff=1 command work again, nor the mouse config tool in control centre becomes functional.

@robin – no, get rid of synclient completely and any other packages that refer to synclient; it is no longer supported; use xinput instead and replace synclient in any Touchpad scripts with the Touchpad.bash script I provided in the other thread; it uses xinput logic instead of synclient.

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@abc-nix – many thanks. I did remember I had problems making the touchpad of my netbook work in antiX 23… “libinput” was ringing in my head, but I failed to remember that the problems I had was because libinput replaced synaptics… I’m not even 50 and my memory is failing 🙁
                  So, I guess ds-mouse and ds-mouse.py need to be reworked to enable/disable the touchpad without using synaptics… I did write a small GUI script that did that, before Dave expanded ds-mouse to also have that feature… I’ll have to dig around for it and check how the hell it worked and try to adapt it to antix 23 and 23.1…

EDIT: I attached the script. I’m not currently on a computer that has a touchpad, so I can’t test it, in antiX 23 or 23.1. Please test it. If it works, all Dave has to do is change his script to run the simple commands my simple GUI includes.

P.

I have xinput rather than synclient installed and ds_mouse still works; It appears that it’s designed correctly.

To make this crystal clear, sudo apt update; sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptic; sudo apt install libinput

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Robin

no, get rid of synclient completely and any other packages that refer to synclient; it is no longer supported; use xinput instead and replace synclient in any Touchpad scripts with the Touchpad.bash script I provided in the other thread; it uses xinput logic instead of synclient.

In bold letters:

The reason that I no longer use synclient is that it is no longer supported.

Yes, have just seen your last posting. Many thanks. That’s a valid and sane reason. But I still can’t disable my touchpad:
                    bash: xinput: command not found

Is there an additional package I have to install? Or is some kind of additional configuration to be done beforehand?
                    Btw, it has to work without reboot, since I’m running live. Otherwise I’ll have to remaster for this.

Brian Masinick

@anticapitalista – just in case you missed it… It seems, as per this post, that antix 23.1 is missing a package that was default up to antiX 23: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/synclient-command-not-found/#post-134850 (xserver-xorg-input-synaptics), making the mouse configuration GUI in Control Center almost useless. Was that by design? Does that package have any problem?

P.

It seems, as per this post, that antix 23.1 is missing a package that was default up to antiX 23

Discussion for this started in this page.

The package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and the synaptics feature has been replaced by xinput; this happened a few years ago, but the old packages will soon be purged from the system.

To properly fix the touchpad, perform these commands:

sudo apt update; sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics; sudo apt install xinput

Replacement script:

#!/bin/bash
                      # Touchpad.bash
                      read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
                      state=$( xinput list-props "$TPdevice" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep -o "[01]$" )
                      if [ "$state" -eq '1' ];then
                          xinput --disable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Disabled" 2> /dev/null
                      else
                          xinput --enable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Enabled" 2> /dev/null
                      fi

--
                      Brian Masinick

Stéphane Ascoët

“Doubletten”

sounds like german

In French, where the expression originates, it spells “Doublones”, if I recollect properly.

No it’s “doublon”(singular) or “doublons”(plural)

Perhaps you mean ‘duplicate’?

Yes

Robin

sounds like german
                          In French, …
                          No it’s “doublon”(singular) or “doublons”(plural)

Many thanks! And yes, Doublette/Doubletten (sg/pl) is the German word for it, old spelling. Current simplified spelling is Dublette/Dubletten.

Brian Masinick

Be certain to install xinput.

You can do it THIS way in case it’s already present:

sudo apt update; sudo apt install --reinstall xinput

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: xinout
                            • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: xinput

--
                            Brian Masinick

Robin

Yes, the replacement package for synaptics didn’t make it into antiX 23.1 ISOs obviously, so you have to install them manually. Many thanks Brian @Masinick and @Caprea (over in the other thread.) Will post the results of running your script over there. Here merely what concerns antiX 23.1 release:

From antiX 23.1-testing full runit 64 bit live

apt-cache policy xinput
                              xinput:
                                Installed: (none)
                                Candidate: 1.6.3-1
                                Version table:
                                   1.6.3-1 500
                                      500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages

From antiX 23.1 (final) full runit 64 bit live

apt-cache policy xinput
                              xinput:
                                Installed: (none)
                                Candidate: 1.6.3-1
                                Version table:
                                   1.6.3-1 500
                                      500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main i386 Packages

Old input control package was removed, but the current replacement didn’t make it into the final. That’s sad, but we can’t help it.

Since I’m working on the pressing fixes for control centre (prerequisites installer misbehaves if user closes its window prematurely by the X in window boarder instead of running the process properly) anyway, I can set this xinput package as prerequisite for the mouse config tool, so user will be asked to install it when opening the mouse/touchpad config entry from hardware section of the control centre. This should solve the trouble for most users, and it can be fixed simply by package update then.

Until then, please consider “Configure mouse” entry in control centre hardware section as broken. It simply can’t work without synaptic package. As @PPC already stated: The mouse configuring script must be completely redone. It can’t be fixed by just installing a the missing synaptic package (which is no longer supported anyway).

Robin

Please test it. If it works,

It works, once xinput package is installed. But it merely toggles mouse on and off, just like the script Brian has provided over in the other thread. But it doesn’t allow to set neither acceleration nor button swap or all the other stuff the mouse control from within antiX control centre has provided in antiX up to 23.0

Any ideas for an adequate replacement for these important controls, after synclient was removed all of a sudden?

We simply can’t ask users to do this complicated stuff on command line. I just looked up the xinput and xset syntax. Awfull! Even for me, being used to stuff like that. Moreover it doesn’t work at all:

$ xinput -list
                                ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
                                ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                                ⎜   ↳ Mouse Consumer Control           	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                                ⎜   ↳ Mouse                            	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                                ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                                ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
                                    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                    ↳ Power Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                    ↳ Mouse Consumer Control           	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                    ↳ Mouse Keyboard                   	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                                $ xinput --get-feedbacks 10
                                1 feedback class
                                PtrFeedbackClass id=0
                                	accelNum is 2
                                	accelDenom is 1
                                	threshold is 4

Syntax (taken from manpage) is:
                                xinput --set-ptr-feedback device threshold num denom

So it should be possible to set the accelleration differently this way, e.g.

$ xinput --set-ptr-feedback 10 10 10 10
                                $ xinput --get-feedbacks 10
                                1 feedback class
                                PtrFeedbackClass id=0
                                	accelNum is 10
                                	accelDenom is 10
                                	threshold is 10

But no change in mouse behaviour. (also not when setting arbitrary accel, denom or num values like 1, 50 or 100 for the device 10.
                                Same if trying with ID 12 (not tested by now: device 4; not sure whether this refers actually to the mouse)

From man xset (to wich man xinput refers for the meaning of the values) :

»The parameters for the pointing device are 'acceleration' and  'threshold'. The accelera‐
                                               tion can be specified as an integer, or as a simple fraction. Threshold is just an integer.
                                By default the pointer (the on-screen representation of the pointing device) will go 'acceleration' times as fast when the
                                       device travels more than 'threshold' mickeys (i.e. would-be pixels) in 10 ms, including a  small  transition  range.  This
                                       way, the pointing device can be used for precise alignment when it is moved slowly, yet it can be set to travel across the
                                       screen in a flick of the wrist when desired.  One or both parameters for the m option can be omitted, but if only  one  is
                                       given,  it  will  be interpreted as the acceleration.  If no parameters or the flag 'default' is used, the system defaults
                                       will be set.
                                If the 'threshold' parameter is provided and 0, the 'acceleration' parameter will be used in the exponent of a more  natu‐
                                       ral  and continuous formula, giving precise control for slow motion but big reach for fast motion, and a progressive tran‐
                                       sition for motions in between.  Recommended 'acceleration' value in this case is 3/2 to 3, but not limited to that range.«

Maybe somebody more skilled than me can make it work…

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Robin. Reason: manpage text has broken the code tags for forum display

Brian Masinick

@robin I do not have an immediate script available to enable the many additional features of the xinput package, but there is extensive documentation in the manual page “man xinput”. Maybe someone skilled in writing scripts can implement additional features based on this documentation. Oh yes, I happened to notice, ds-mouse is broken because it is based on the synclient command, which is no longer supported.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 219 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.