antiX-23.1 released

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23.1 released

• This topic has 218 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Mar 13-5:33 pm by Stéphane Ascoët.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    PPC

It works, once xinput package is installed.

My script is merely a toggle for the touch-pad: every time it’s run it toggles the touch-pad off (if it’s currently on) or on (if it’s currently off), displaying a small “notification like” yad window.
      I think the script lists yad and xinput as dependencies.
      I only made the script available so fast because I had already written it, and made a version of it available somewhere in the forum, before the touch-pad toggle was included in ds-mouse. The main idea is that you can run the script from a keybinding to act as a on/off switch for the touch-pad, with a visual indication of the current state.
      No idea at all on how to perform the other tasks performed by synclient… It’s incredible that only in 23.1 someone reported that this CC feature was not working!
      Note: I think that some features of ds-mouse, like switching to left handed still are working.

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
      Brian Masinick

@PPC the only reason I have not commented recently about synclient is that I found this problem a year or two ago when I got a new system, and I developed, and shared at that time, my DIFFERENT Touchpad.bash script that uses input instead of synclient. I had no idea that others were having issues because I’ve had the replacement for so long myself.

When I installed antiX 23.1 and antiX 23 / 23.1 init-diversity, xinput was on my automatic list of packages to add to complete my personal configuration. Also, ds-mouse assumes synclient so it needs to be rewritten to use xinput instead of synclient.

--
        Brian Masinick

PPC

On rewriting ds-mouse:

Yes, Mr. Masinick is correct, that should be a prority. That application has 2 components, a simple bash script and a python script. I can help with the bash script (/usr/local/bin/ds-mouse), it *should* be easy, simply editing the function “touchpad”, that toggles the touchpad on/off. All the other functions that depend on synclient and syndaemon will require some extra work. I have no idea how to write in python, that’s on Dave’s capable shoulders…

EDIT: it seems Robin, as always is 2 steps in front of me and already knows how to edit the basic mouse/touchpad settings using xinput (https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/synclient-command-not-found/page/2/#post-134956).

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
          Robin

It’s incredible that only in 23.1 someone reported that this CC feature was not working!

Well, I simply hadn’t to switch the touchpad off until now on the notebook, having used it mobile. Only now, back on desk and connected to a mouse, this caused trouble unexpectedly. And on the desktop PC it’s hardly possible to notice, since there is no touchpad, and the default mouse acceleration and sensitivity was perfectly fine on that device.

Edit: (after reading PPC’s parallel post edit)

EDIT: it seems…

Please note:
            https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-1-released/page/8/#post-134939
            I can’t make anything of it. It refuses to work for me.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Brian Masinick

During testing Dolphin Oracle made some suggestions; not sure if they were adopted or not, but I found them present on my system, so I explicitly performed them if they are or were not installed by default:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-1-full-runit-64-bit-for-testers-only/page/4/#post-122817

sudo apt update; sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-libinput

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad-libinput.conf:

Section "InputClass"
              Identifier "touchpad"
              Driver "libinput"
                MatchIsTouchpad "on"
                Option "Tapping" "on"
              EndSection

Additional parameters and characteristics may be optionally added to this InputClass to get more libinput features if desired. This is all I have installed at the present time.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
              Brian Masinick

Robin

🙂 Great.

sudo apt update; sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, sudo apt install xinput

sudo apt update; sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Which way?

Brian Masinick

🙂 Great.

sudo apt update; sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, sudo apt install xinput

sudo apt update; sudo apt install sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-libinput

Which way?

SORRY, I made a typographical error;

sudo apt update; sudo apt install sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
                  is good with the configuration file I provided.

If you already have sudo apt install xinput that works too.

Turns out I happened to have both of them, so if you do install both, no harm done.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@robin the key is to make sure to remove any packages associated with xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and replace them with the packages provided in xserver-xorg-input-libinput.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Robin

Now it makes sense, even to me 🙂
                      Many thanks Brian! (in particular for highlighting the difference after the fix)
                      Your funny typo made me struggle in understanding the course of action needed (install it or purge it, which way).

So it’s about an other package actually, not the one purged the moment before. Yes, now all this makes sense.

Will try what comes out of it. Maybe this is the missing link to make acceleration and sensitivity settings work.

Brian Masinick

Stuff to work with libinput and the xinput command:

(Example on my system):

xinput
                        ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
                        ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                        ⎜   ↳ HP HP USB WHEEL MOUSE                   	id=8	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                        ⎜   ↳ SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Mouse             	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                        ⎜   ↳ SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Touchpad          	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
                        ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
                            ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                            ↳ Video Bus                               	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                            ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                            ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                            ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                            ↳ Wireless hotkeys                        	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                         xinput list-props "HP HP USB WHEEL MOUSE" | grep "Scrolling Pixel Distance"
                        	libinput Scrolling Pixel Distance (325):	15
                        	libinput Scrolling Pixel Distance Default (326):	15

Article URL:
                        https://www.baeldung.com/linux/enable-disable-touchpad-scrolling-tapping-command-line

(there is also stuff about the OLD synclient, which should be ignored; that is what we are replacing).

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

This command gives stuff about acceleration:

xinput list-props "HP HP USB WHEEL MOUSE"
                          Device 'HP HP USB WHEEL MOUSE':
                          	Device Enabled (167):	1
                          	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (169):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
                          	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (305):	0
                          	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (306):	0
                          	libinput Scroll Methods Available (307):	0, 0, 1
                          	libinput Scroll Method Enabled (308):	0, 0, 0
                          	libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (309):	0, 0, 0
                          	libinput Button Scrolling Button (310):	2
                          	libinput Button Scrolling Button Default (311):	2
                          	libinput Button Scrolling Button Lock Enabled (312):	0
                          	libinput Button Scrolling Button Lock Enabled Default (313):	0
                          	libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (314):	0
                          	libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (315):	0
                          	libinput Accel Speed (316):	0.000000
                          	libinput Accel Speed Default (317):	0.000000
                          	libinput Accel Profiles Available (318):	1, 1
                          	libinput Accel Profile Enabled (319):	1, 0
                          	libinput Accel Profile Enabled Default (320):	1, 0
                          	libinput Left Handed Enabled (321):	0
                          	libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (322):	0
                          	libinput Send Events Modes Available (290):	1, 0
                          	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (291):	0, 0
                          	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (292):	0, 0
                          	Device Node (293):	"/dev/input/event6"
                          	Device Product ID (294):	1112, 7
                          	libinput Drag Lock Buttons (323):	<no items>
                          	libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (324):	1
                          	libinput Scrolling Pixel Distance (325):	15
                          	libinput Scrolling Pixel Distance Default (326):	15
                          	libinput High Resolution Wheel Scroll Enabled (327):	1

NOTE: this is for MY equipment. First use the xinput command to determine the device
                          information, then use the additional commands, replacing “HP HP USB WHEEL MOUSE”
                          with the device or feature that interests you.

Refer back to the URL https://www.baeldung.com/linux/enable-disable-touchpad-scrolling-tapping-command-line
                          for information; searching https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Linux+xinput+configuration&ia=web

led to
                          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I was able to adjust this – WHEN I have my Touchpad ENABLED:

xinput --set-prop "SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Touchpad" 'libinput Accel Speed' 1
                            xinput list-props "SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Touchpad"
                            xinput --set-prop "SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Touchpad" 'libinput Accel Speed' 0.5
                            xinput --set-prop "SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Touchpad" 'libinput Accel Speed' 0.3

On my system acceleration of 1 was pretty fast; even 0.5 was a bit touchy;
                            IF I have my touchpad enabled, 0.3 is about right on my system; of
                            course this differs quite a bit between systems, so others will have
                            different devices and different parameters that work best for them.

Anyway, I learned quite a bit about the libinput way of adjusting
                            parameters; once you know the commands it’s not too bad, but it is
                            NOT trivial either!

--
                            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=225001 was another helpful article.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@robin wrote: “Maybe somebody more skilled than me can make it work.”

At your service sir! I shared a couple of posts on accessing
                                my USB mouse and my touchpad; you can also access the keyboard
                                through libxinput libraries and the xinput command with various
                                parameters. Check the posts above; I included a few links that
                                may provide a few more clues.

Best wishes to all!

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

By the way, I knew very little about the specific commands to do anything
                                  other than enabling or disabling the touchpad prior to today, and I didn’t
                                  know those either until this past year or so.

While it’s not completely trivial, it is not horrible; with a few good
                                  articles – which ARE available, you can figure out how to do all kinds
                                  of stuff.

the xinput list command tells you which devices you have available, then
                                  you go from there, listing what each device is capable of doing and what
                                  each devices settings are; from that, you can change them.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 219 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.