antiX-23.1-runit Openbox – without Dbus-Daemons, Elogind and Polkitd

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antiX-23.1-runit Openbox – without Dbus-Daemons, Elogind and Polkitd

• This topic has 26 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jul 15-10:44 am by Xaver.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Xaver

Now I have found a simple solution to control power management with ‘suspend_if_idle’: – kdocker –
      I have added this command to the power management menu:
      kdocker xterm -e "/usr/local/bin/suspend_if_idle 12"

Xterm symbol in the system tray = ‘suspend_if_idle’ will suspend after 12 minutes of inactivity
      No xterm symbol in the system tray = ‘suspend_if_idle’ is not activated.
      If you wish, you can define a different symbol.
      I.e.: ‘kdocker -i /usr/share/icons/gnome/48×48/actions/appointment.png xterm -e …’

P.s.: The suspend command in ‘suspend_if_idle’ does not exist on this system.
      ‘desktop-session-exit -S’ has to be replaced with ‘sudo pm-suspend’. Then it works fine.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Xaver.
      Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Nice work @Xaver

In my opinion, all the *kit packages (including consolekit) are a million times worse than (lib)dbus being present.
        The Debian packagers of polkit are constantly moving the goalposts when they update so trying to keep track and keep it free of systemd/elogind is a huge chore.
        I’m very close to giving up packaging a systemd/elogind-free polkitd version.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xaver

@ anticapitalista – Thanks for the praise.

I have been building and testing my system for about half a year now.
          Polkitd is expendable. I have never missed it. Let it go.
          Lxqt-sudo is short on dependencies and can replace pkexec completely.

Consolekit is not on my system. I think it is dispensable too.
          The absence of dbus daemons does limit the software options, but so far I have found good tools for every task.
          Dummies can help in rare cases. Audacious (for bit perfect audio) needed a dbus-x11 dummy to be installed. It runs with no problems.
          On the other hand: a system full of dummies is not something smart.

There are some attempts to replace dbus, i.e. ubus and varlink, but they seem to be not ready yet.
          Therefore libdbus is still indispensable for a productive system

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Xaver.
          wildstar84

Ah, I see someone besides me running dockapps! I still run ’em in my modified* vsn. of the ancient AfterStep window-manager. *The “modified” includes a build option to not require/use dbus! See: https://github.com/wildstar84/afterstep

Xaver

@ wildstar84

Yes, some wmapps are helpful.
              But why are most of them still so ugly, hard to read and have such a thick frame?
              I am quite unhappy with their readability and aesthetics.

wildstar84

@Xaver – My guess is that back in the day when dockapps were a thing, most gui elements were bevelled and more 3d-ish (b4 Gnome imposed the flat, drab existance on us)! Our eyes were also younger, we had much less screen real estate, and the tiny text crammed into many of ’em were still readable. ;)

Xaver

Résumé on Power Management after some testing:

On my Asus Pro B400VC ‘sleepd’does work well with this command:
                  sleepd -s 'sudo pm-suspend' -u 660 -U 720 -v -b 10
                  ‘sudo pm-suspend’ is executed, if
                  – the system is idle on battery for 11 minutes,
                  – the system is idle on AC-power for 12 minutes or
                  – the battery charge is below 10 %.

On my PC (Asrock N100M) sleepd does not work. It seems to be for laptops only.
                  But ‘suspend_if_idle’ runs flawlessly.

‘sleepd’ and ‘suspend_if_idle’ can be used simultaniously.
                  Just make sure that they do not interfer by setting different idle periods, i.e.:
                  kdocker xterm -e "/usr/local/bin/suspend_if_idle 15"

You can add a xset command to turn off the screen as first step:
                  xset dpms 0 0 180
                  I.e.: Screen is turned off after an idle period of 3 minutes.

So with xset, sleepd and suspend_if_idle we get a pretty complete but very light power management.

Unfortunately sleepd has been be removed from Debian sid and testing repos.
                  It will disappear like so many other little helpers.

(I.e.: Nitroshare and Photoprint are gone as well, although they have no malfunctions – even in sid.)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Xaver.
                  Xaver

A brief Comment on Keyboard Shortcuts

On my last system I already had defined some useful keyboard shortcuts. But I hardly used them, because their definitions were forgotten soon. Looking them up took more time than using the mouse. S I used the mouse instead.

This time I have made it different. I have given the shortcuts a logical structure and created reminders with easy access.

(1) Logical structure
                    <Super>+<key> := open applications and move windows on a desktop
                    <Super>+<Alt>+<key> := modify and arrange windows on a desktop
                    <Ctrl>+<Super>+<key> := system commands and actions concerning different windows or desktops

(2) <Super>+<q> as a reminder
                    I have created a pdf from a one page text document, which lists all my keyboard shortcuts.
                    <Super>+<q> opens this document with qpdfview.
                    Thus I have instant access to check all my keyboard shortcuts.

(3) A list of some essential keyboard shortcuts in conky
                    Conky includes the option to show simple lines of text.
                    So I have listed those commands in my conky, which I had forgotten before.
                    Especially commands, which are used rarely, stay present this way (i.e. tiling commands).

Attachments:
                    1.) current screenshot
                    2.) updated overview of keyboard shortcuts

Xaver

Burning Optical Discs

Xcdroast seems to be more complicated to use than the cli-tool cdrskin.
                      Therefore I have removed xcdroast.

Xfburn has been installed instead. Xfburn depends on dbus-session-bus.
                      So with the help of equivs I had to create another dummy: dbus-session-bus_99.9.9-9dummy_all.deb

There are 2 dummys on the system now:
                      – ‘dbus-x11_dummy’ for Audacious and
                      – ‘dbus-session-bus_dummy’ for Xfburn.

Both – Audacious and Xfburn – do their job well this way.

Xaver

Openbox Settings

To complete the presentation of my antiX-23.1-Openbox I want to to provide my openbox settings as well.
                        Here they are:

(1) The folder ‘/.config/openbox/’ with the settings for autostart, menu, keyboard shortcuts, openbox-theme, … ,
                        (2) the folder ‘/opt//obmenu2-Version1_1/’ with the menu editor obmenu2,
                        (3) the rofi theme ‘gruvbox-light-hard’ in 2 heights and modified for better readability,
                        (4) 2 .conkyrc files as reminders to essential keyboard shortcut – a cramped one for a screen of 768 pixels height and another one for a height of 1080 pixels.

——-
                        P.s.: This moment I have realized, that ‘+’ is a shift key on the English keyboard (used in the Tiling section).
                        ––> choose ‘<Super>+<Alt>+<f>’ to enlarge a window to full height of the screen (instead of ‘<Super>+<Alt>+<+>’)

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Xaver.
                        stevesr0

Hi Xaver,

I printed out your six files for reference, thank you.

I wonder if you consider this as one way to obtain a custom, “minimalistic” system as a secondary aspect of eliminating dependencies upon these problematic tools/packages?

Xaver

@ stevers0

My first intention was to check, how much a system would be restricted, if Dbus-Daemons, Elogind and Polkitd are absent.
                            The result: It can be a complete productive system.

Basically I prefer minimal systems. So I have tried to avoid all the stuff, that I do not use or which might be problematic.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.