antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66

• This topic has 232 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Feb 27-2:25 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 233 total)
  • Author
    ProwlerGr

I am proud to announce the release of my UNOFFICIAL antix 23.1 remaster which includes 4 inits that can be selected through grub in an MX style grub menu

antix-23.1_amd64_init-diversity-edition_UNOFFICIAL_20240205.iso
      antix-23.1_amd64_init-diversity-edition_UNOFFICIAL_20240205.iso.md5

antix-23.1_i386_init-diversity-edition_UNOFFICIAL_20240205.iso
      antix-23.1_i386_init-diversity-edition_UNOFFICIAL_20240205.iso.md5

user: antix
      passwd: antix
      root passwd: antix

This includes many refinements from all of my previous s6-rc/s6-66 respins most notably:
      – Everything has been installed from debs – my sources are available in my experimental-s6 repo http://deb-s6-rc-66-init-experimental.duckdns.org:8080/dists/experimental-s6/antix-s6/
      – I have created a simple script “s6-db-reload” which should make the recompiling of s6-rc databases much safer & easier, just running one command ‘s6-db-reload’.
      – The above script requires my new version of s6-rc-init & s6-rc-services to be installed
      – Antix’s runit related debs have been repackaged to remove conflicts with sysvinit, my limited testing reveals that runit & sysvinit can both run very stable on the same image.
      – Once again this image can be considered a “developers image”, it has all the tools & libraries to compile all of the packages in my experimental-s6 repo.

To enable the multi-init grub menu after first install from iso just run sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-multi-init-enabler

I hope the antix community enjoys this

Edit 05/02/2024
      * Uploaded i386 build equivalent to amd64
      * Re-uploaded minor bugfix release for amd64
      * poweroff & reboot commands now work as init agnostic
      * lsb-release file corrected to report correct strings for inxi
      * Shortcut icons for switching menus have been removed – script in post 2 cans still be used for those who would like them back.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by ProwlerGr. Reason: Re-Uploaded bugfix releases
      ProwlerGr

The following script on a fresh install of the latest (till date) official antiX-23_x64-full.iso or antiX-23_386-full.iso will allow you to boot to the upgraded 23.1 multi-init (for those who like to try for themselves)

#!/bin/sh
        echo "disabling backports" 
        echo "# Debian Bookworm backports. Use with caution.
        # deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports main contrib non-free non-free-firmware" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bookworm-backports.list
        echo "disabling debian-unstable" 
        echo "# deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
        # deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free non-free-firmware" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-unstable.list
        echo "updating package list"
        apt update
        apt dist-upgrade -y
        apt install -y antix-radio antixradio acstv acstv-stations antix-finder
        echo "installing nala"
        apt install -y nala
        echo "installing compile tools to build s6 fron sources"
        nala install -y git git-man lowdown xterm build-essential autoconf automake autotools-dev dh-make debhelper devscripts fakeroot xutils lintian pbuilder sbuild sbuild-debian-developer-setup crossbuild-essential-amd64 crossbuild-essential-i386 crossbuild-essential-arm64 dh-exec dh-runit dh-sysuser dh-buildinfo libselinux1-dev po4a dpkg-repack doc-base
        echo "adding sample packages to test with s6"
        nala install -y samba smbclient nmap xrdp dhcpcd xorgxrdp runit-service-manager
        echo "adding firewall rules for samba & xrdp"
        ufw allow samba; ufw allow 3389/tcp; ufw allow 3350/tcp
        echo "adding Prowler's s6-rc/s6-66 experimental repo"
        wget http://deb-s6-rc-66-init-experimental.duckdns.org:8080/--gpg-key/s6-rc-66-experimental-repo.gpg -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/s6-rc-66-experimental-repo.gpg
        echo "deb http://deb-s6-rc-66-init-experimental.duckdns.org:8080/ experimental-s6 antix-s6
        deb-src http://deb-s6-rc-66-init-experimental.duckdns.org:8080/ experimental-s6 antix-s6" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/experimental-s6.list
        echo "update package list"
        nala update
        echo "installing experimental s6 - runit - sysvinit packages"
        nala install -y s6 execline libexecline-dev libexecline2.9 skalibs-dev libskarnet2.14 libs6-dev s6-rc s6-linux-init s6-portable-utils s6-linux-utils oblibs 66 66-tools boot-66serv libs6-linux-init-1.1 libs6-linux-init-dev runit-service-manager s6-rc-init s6-66-init lib-sysvinit-init runit-antix runit-services-net-antix getty-run
        nala install -y s6-rc-services s6-66-services runit-full-core-services-antix grub-multi-init-enabler init-diversity-tools
        echo "enabling default runit startup scripts"
        ln -sf /etc/sv/slimski /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/slimski
        ln -sf /etc/sv/seatd /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/seatd
        ln -sf /etc/sv/getty-tty1 /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/getty-tty1
        ln -sf /etc/sv/getty-tty2 /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/getty-tty2
        ln -sf /etc/sv/getty-tty3 /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/getty-tty3
        ln -sf /etc/sv/connman /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/connman
        ln -sf /etc/sv/udevd /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/udevd
        ln -sf /etc/sv/dbus /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/dbus
        echo "end of script"

Edit 08/02/2024
        * created package “init-diversity-tools” which contains universal ‘poweroff’ & ‘reboot’ commands
        * removed desktop switchers (they were causing issues with poweroff & reboot).
        * updated grub-multi-init-enabler (default behaviour is to boot previously booted session)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by ProwlerGr.
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by ProwlerGr. Reason: universal "reboot" & "poweroff"
        olsztyn

Thanks very much @ProwlerGr for this fantastic accomplishment. Greatly appreciated.
          I am looking forward to play with this edition…
          Just a quick question for my understanding:
          – Selection of init is specifically in Grub only, not in Syslinux boot default of antiX?
          – Was the ISO built on the actual antiX 23.1, or on antiX 23 and updated to 23.1, as I see kernels are 5.10.188 and 6.1.42, while antiX 23.1 ISO was released with kernels 5.10.199 and 6.1.60. If it is built on antiX 23 then no problem though as kernels can be installed and remastered in this diversity antiX Live. I am assuming this is antiX Live and Remaster works, of course.

Thanks again.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

ProwlerGr

– Selection of init is specifically in Grub only, not in Syslinux boot default of antiX?

This is correct, you can only select init on an installed image (not the live iso) after running
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-multi-init-enabler

or maybe simpler

sudo upgrade grub.

This is due to the antix installer.

…or on antiX 23 and updated to 23.1,…

This. If you see the script on the second post you should be able to replicate the build with a antiX-23-full.iso (sysvinit)

I labelled it as 23.1 because the script included these commands

apt dist-upgrade -y
            apt install -y antix-radio acstv acstv-stations antix-finder
            olsztyn

Thank you for such quick reply… I have not used sysvinit in years, being old design, but S6 is certainly of interest…

olsztyn

Sorry, I must have missed… What is the admin password?
                Just booted and trying to remaster…

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Password is antix

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

Thank you.
                    Initial test:
                    – Booted as S6-rc (default) from syslinux menu – Seems all good. Did not yet play with Grub.
                    – Switched init to runit per desktop script – Normal response.
                    – Remastered – worked.
                    – Rebooted with runit init – Reboot function did not seem to work from desktop-session-exit. Hard shutdown with power button. Subsequent boot worked as expected.
                    – Added a runit service acpid – seemed worked fine.
                    – Typing now from the new system switched successfully from s6-rc to runit. All seems working fine. The system is antiX already fully updated from antiX 23 to antiX 23.1, along with the antiX CC bug for sound test, of course, which is expected…
                    – Reboot now worked fine from desktop-antix-exit, being on runit. Apparently something with on s6 that some shutdown service did not initialize to reboot previously while on s6 init.
                    – Switched back to s6 init and remastering. Will reboot with s6 and check initial memory footprint. Interesting that neither reboot nor shutdown works from desktop-session-exit after running switch to s6 script, although still on runit booted antiX. Apparently shutdown services are switched immediately in result of running the switch script.
                    – Reboot now using s6-rc init after remaster seems normal. The initial memory footprint appears to be about 40Mb larger than with runit. No additional processes running, so the memory footprint increase must be attributed to s6 init being larger…

Thank you @ProwlerGr for this init-switchable antiX.

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

Thank you @ProwlerGr
                      This is really impressive.

I hope you don’t mind but I posted a link to this thread over at our facebook page.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Brian Masinick

Thank you @ProwlerGr

I hope you don’t mind but I posted a link to this thread over at our facebook page.

I agree! It’s really working out well so far; I’ve only had an hour or two to use it, but
                        in that time I have:

1) Run it live – works fine.
                        2) Installed it – went well.
                        3) Added an account; works fine.
                        4) Copied a lot of my usual tools and extras – everything has worked.

Perhaps I’ll find something, but it doesn’t look like it’d be anything disruptive to my
                        personal use cases, so this image is a big win!

I simply replaced my previous s6 image with this one; still have the nearly ready antiX 23.1 runit
                        image, this image, and the released antiX 23 runit image; all three have mostly my same stuff
                        added on and all three are working very well; I’m certainly happy with the results on all of them.

--
                        Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

Thank you @ProwlerGr

I am very happy that you liked it.

Reboot function did not seem to work from desktop-session-exit. Hard shutdown with power button.

Apparently something with on s6 that some shutdown service did not initialize to reboot previously while on s6 init.

Yes this was expected, only the “default” init options reboot/halt/shutdown work, this is the reason for the desktop shortcut switchers of default inits
                          The grub bootloader has given the option to select the init to boot from various locations. Obviously it doesn’t (nor should) pass any parameters not related to boot (such halt/reboot/shutdown).

I am thinking that the issue can be resolved with a ‘oneshot’ or cron job for each init at boot time, that automatically does what those shortcuts do at boot & undoes the changes at reboot/shutdown.
                          We could lets say boot all inits on Debian with systemD installed, & leave systemD intact at shutdown while it is fully ignored & crippled while booted…
                          Also for maintainers having less iso’s to maintain is a big bonus. We can have all inits in a single image, & the user can pick their poison.

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

I think it is even possible (with adaptions) for user to boot live their init of choice.
                            At the moment,the default live boot is s6.
                            It is possible for sbin to have symlinks to all options eg init-s6, init-sysvinit, init-66 and init-runit.
                            The boot parameter would be init=/sbin/init-* where * is the init you want eg init=/sbin/init-66
                            In this way, all 4 can be run ‘live’ as well as installed.

Exciting times.

Brian Masinick

@ProwlerGr said: “Yes this was expected, only the “default” init options reboot/halt/shutdown work, this is the reason for the desktop shortcut switchers of default inits
                              The grub bootloader has given the option to select the init to boot from various locations. Obviously it doesn’t (nor should) pass any parameters not related to boot (such halt/reboot/shutdown).

I am thinking that the issue can be resolved with a ‘oneshot’ or cron job for each init at boot time, that automatically does what those shortcuts do at boot & undoes the changes at reboot/shutdown.
                              We could lets say boot all inits on Debian with systemD installed, & leave systemD intact at shutdown while it is fully ignored & crippled while booted.
                              Also for maintainers having less iso’s to maintain is a big bonus. We can have all inits in a single image, & the user can pick their poison.”

I really like the idea of having multiple init alternatives available. If there are different commands to halt, poweroff, reboot, and shutdown depending on the init used to start, links could be created to handle the appropriate shutdown commands because I know that at least 66 has different commands, probably a few of them have at least some differences.

@anticapitalista said: “I think it is even possible (with adaptions) for user to boot live their init of choice.
                              At the moment,the default live boot is s6.
                              It is possible for sbin to have symlinks to all options eg init-s6, init-sysvinit, init-66 and init-runit.
                              The boot parameter would be init=/sbin/init-* where * is the init you want eg init=/sbin/init-66
                              In this way, all 4 can be run ‘live’ as well as installed.”

I think that this is a terrific idea; I was thinking of something similar, but I did not know the particulars.

One minor thing: When I ran an information report using the tools that h2 provides, it describes the Distro: as Debian Bookworm rather than antiX 23.1 or antiX 23.1 diversity init or something clearly identifying this wonderful build.

I’m looking in /etc right now on antiX 23 and

cat antix-version 
                              antiX-23-runit_x64 bookworm November 21, 2023
                              cat debian_version 

Could we make sure to utilize these files appropriately so that inxi, pinxi and other tools can correctly identify this great work?

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I do now notice these things and I’ve been discussing them with h2, author of information tools inxi and pinxi:

ls *release
                                initrd-release	lsb-release  os-release
                                [B-diverse-hp-14-fq1025]/etc: > cat initrd-release 
                                NAME="antiX"
                                VERSION="23 (Arditi del Popolo)"
                                ID="antix"
                                VERSION_ID="23"
                                PRETTY_NAME="antiX 23 (Arditi del Popolo)"
                                ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
                                HOME_URL="https://antixlinux.com/"
                                BUG_REPORT_URL="https://www.antixforum.com/"
                                [B-diverse-hp-14-fq1025]/etc: > cat lsb-release 
                                PRETTY_NAME="antiX-23.1 init-diversity-edition UNOFFICIAL"
                                DISTRIB_ID="antiX-23.1"
                                DISTRIB_RELEASE=init-diversity-edition
                                DISTRIB_CODENAME="UNOFFICIAL"
                                DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="antiX-23.1 init-diversity-edition UNOFFICIAL"
                                [B-diverse-hp-14-fq1025]/etc: > cat os-release 
                                PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"
                                NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
                                VERSION_ID="12"
                                VERSION="12 (bookworm)"
                                VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm
                                ID=debian
                                HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
                                SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
                                BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"
                                [B-diverse-hp-14-fq1025]/etc: > 

--
                                Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

I’m guessing most of those strings are generated automatically from the antix iso snapshot tool.

I’m also planning to do a similar i386 init-diversity iso, in which I will attempt the init=/sbin/init-* boot parameter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 233 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.