antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66

• This topic has 232 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Feb 27-2:25 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 233 total)
  • Author
    eric

This is a snapshot of my s6-66 system built from script. I still see the separate dbus-daemon that @Eric had mentioned

I think this is due of the compilation flags used to build dbus, particularly the –enable-x11-autolaunch flags. So, when X is started it will launch the dbus-daemon even if the daemon is already running. This is an assumptions, i haven’t checked my guess.

eric

– Overhead still appears to be higher in terms of memory footprint.

It will always be. Providing more features with less memory footprint will be very very difficult to do, maybe impossible. A simple fact, 66 start services in parallel mode, whereas runit is sequential. This difference alone will produce more footprint than runit. Another example can be taken about the logger part. 66 (also s6-rc) provide an efficient way to not loose any logs output (66-fdholder, s6-rc-fdholder(if i correctly remember the name)) whereas runit do not provide any guarantees about that. A services is constantly running for that, so more footprint. This is just a very few differences between runit and 66.

– It does need service management tool, such as one developed by Xecure for runit.

This is planned (66 gui, to be clear i would like to produce an WebUI to be able to control the system is remote mode) but i will not provide it on a near future. Some features have priorities like reacting on event. But, if something want to work on it, i opened to any suggestions :).

eric

I’m intrigued by the comparison of different init and service managers based on memory footprint and boot time, but it’s essential to consider their impact on daily use as well. Let’s take the example of cupsd. With s6-rc, you must enable it to start, regardless of whether it’s needed at the moment. This means an unused daemon may be running on the system, consuming resources unnecessarily. In contrast, with 66, you can start a service without enabling it and free up resources when it’s no longer needed, potentially reducing memory footprint significantly across various daemons like nfs or bluetooth.

Additionally, running daemons as regular users is a consideration. While s6-rc provides a method to achieve this, 66 offers a more straightforward approach with commands that can be launched as regular users, such as 66 scandir.

Concerning visibility into service dependencies, s6-rc provides s6-rc-db, but it lacks the detailed information provided by commands like 66 tree status or 66 status, which offer a comprehensive view of the complete service dependency graph.

Security is paramount, and while s6-rc allows separation of boot sequence and runtime services, implementing this separation can be extremely complex(you can trust me, i provided this feature with s6-rc with the previous version). In contrast, 66 simplifies this process, ensuring full access to the system even if a runtime service crashes.

Handling instantiated services is another area where 66 excels, handling them natively while s6-rc does not address them at all.

When it comes to reloading services without affecting others, 66 reload -P reloads only the requested service without impacting interdependencies, whereas with s6-rc, the entire boot sequence set is affected, or you need to resort to using s6-svc, introducing the need to manage different interfaces.

In summary, the differences between s6-rc and 66 extend beyond memory footprint and boot time and encompass crucial aspects of service management, user handling, security, dependency visibility, ervice reloading, and more, all of which contribute to a more efficient and user-friendly system administration experience.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by eric.
          • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by eric.
          aitor

@aitor these should build in devuan/debian as well.

Yes, 66 packages now build succesfully in devuan. Maybe I did something wrong in the past.

olsztyn

olsztyn wrote:
              – Overhead still appears to be higher in terms of memory footprint.

It will always be. Providing more features with less memory footprint will be very very difficult to do, maybe impossible. A simple fact, 66 start services in parallel mode, whereas runit is sequential. This difference alone will produce more footprint than runit. Another example can be taken about the logger part. 66 (also s6-rc) provide an efficient way to not loose any logs output (66-fdholder, s6-rc-fdholder(if i correctly remember the name)) whereas runit do not provide any guarantees about that. A services is constantly running for that, so more footprint. This is just a very few differences between runit and 66.

To some degree the larger memory footprint overhead is acceptable if if it is for the sake of better, more sophisticated system.

I’m intrigued by the comparison of different init and service managers based on memory footprint and boot time, but it’s essential to consider their impact on daily use as well. Let’s take the example of cupsd. With s6-rc, you must enable it to start, regardless of whether it’s needed at the moment. This means an unused daemon may be running on the system, consuming resources unnecessarily. In contrast, with 66, you can start a service without enabling it and free up resources when it’s no longer needed, potentially reducing memory footprint significantly across various daemons like nfs or bluetooth.

If I correctly understand this, I do like the capability to be able to start such services as cupsd when needed, rather than have them running regardless of need. That is if starting such services is either automatic triggered by functions performed such as print, or manually started by user in easy fashion. Normally you need admin rights in order to start services though…
              The question would be how end user, not having admin rights do it…
              Now perhaps I have carried my imagination too far… antiX is not that heavily used in enterprise yet after all…

In summary, the differences between s6-rc and 66 extend beyond memory footprint and boot time and encompass crucial aspects of service management, user handling, security, dependency visibility, ervice reloading, and more, all of which contribute to a more efficient and user-friendly system administration experience.

I think I do like 66 more and more if only just based on your description…

Now I start to understand why @fungalnet asked that question whether runit user trying 66 would ever come back to runit…
              Not having yet experience in 66, just based on what @eric described I seem to like 66 more and more…
              More service management and more flexible control of services in 66 seems compelling, so far based on descriptions, rather than based on my hands-on experience and analysis of architecture.
              I am looking forward to 66 antiX practice…

Thank you @eric for this elaborate comparison…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by olsztyn.
              • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by olsztyn.
              • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

ProwlerGr

Service manager ready for testing.
                I have opened a separate thread here

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

This is a snapshot of my s6-66 system built from script. I still see the separate dbus-daemon that @Eric had mentioned

I think this is due of the compilation flags used to build dbus, particularly the –enable-x11-autolaunch flags. So, when X is started it will launch the dbus-daemon even if the daemon is already running. This is an assumptions, i haven’t checked my guess.

@eric there is no –enable-x11-autolaunch flag used when building our dbus deb.

Some apps automatically start dbus-launch and dbus-daemon on opening eg firefox-esr, roxterm even if dbus has been disabled as a service.

Re – rootless Xserver.

seatd needs this:

/usr/bin/seatd -g video

I just booted 66 in Virtualbox to desktop – all ok – no errors
                  Crtl F2 – login as user > startx /usr/local/bib/desktop-session jwm
                  Logins in ok but mouse and keyboard do not work at all. Hard shutdown needed.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Regarding the recent comparisons of boot times and memory usage, there were no exact measurements and nothing of particular importance to stress in them, other than to demonstrate that even in a proof of concept, both s6-rc and s6-66 are quite comparable in “seat of the pants” quick observation and feel. I had been thinking in my head that they were slower, but when I think back, I was also testing one day on an old computer, so that’s probably where that stuck in my head. Having tested and used the images on a couple of systems, what I can say that is important and significant is that all of the various init systems tested are practical enough to use in our future projects, so the proof of concept has been useful and valuable to many of us. As far as the data, that was only for rough comparisons; all of them are functional and that is what really matters.

I’m looking forward to seeing them in a future effort, and based on the way they were packaged in the proof of concept, perhaps a similar build could be introduced as a “Full” version; if that is desirable, then it could potentially reduce the number of images to build, at least for “Full”.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I made a change to the poweroff.sh and reboot.sh scripts so that the sysVinit works for me; it should be usable for all, given that /sbin/shutdown is present in sysVinit:

cat /lib/init-diversity/poweroff.sh;  cat /lib/init-diversity/reboot.sh 
                      #!/bin/bash
                      if [ "$(id -u)" -gt 0 ]; then
                      	echo "You need to run as root or using sudo"
                      	exit 1
                      fi
                      sync &&  /sbin/shutdown -hP now &>/dev/null | /usr/lib/runit/runit-init 0 &>/dev/null | /usr/lib/s6-rc/poweroff &>/dev/null | /usr/lib/s6-66/poweroff &>/dev/null
                      #!/bin/bash
                      if [ "$(id -u)" -gt 0 ]; then
                      	echo "You need to run as root or using sudo"
                      	exit 1
                      fi
                      sync && /sbin/shutdown -r now &>/dev/null | /usr/lib/runit/runit-init 6 &>/dev/null | /usr/lib/s6-rc/reboot &>/dev/null | /usr/lib/s6-66/reboot &>/dev/null

Odd that I had to resort to this change on one of my systems; I tried two other systems today and this was unnecessary on both of them.

--
                      Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

@ProwlerGR – I have been working with Bitjam to incorporate the 4 init systems for live boot.
                        I need to test the changed live init later today and will make it available to you asap.

@anticapitalista any update on this?
                        I’m keen to create an updated iso with the new s6-rc Service Manager present & having the 4 inits available at boot would also be very handy.

olsztyn

@anticapitalista any update on this?
                          I’m keen to create an updated iso with the new s6-rc Service Manager present & having the 4 inits available at boot would also be very handy.

This would be the baseline s6 antiX I am looking forward to…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

@ProwlerGR – I have been working with Bitjam to incorporate the 4 init systems for live boot.
                            I need to test the changed live init later today and will make it available to you asap.

@anticapitalista
                            any update on this?

Here you are.
                            I tested it and it seems to work.

Remember it assumes these relative symlinks in /sbin have already been created.

/sbin/init-s6
                            /sbin/init-s6-66
                            /sbin/init-runit
                            /sbin/init-sysv

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by anticapitalista.
                            Attachments:

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Today’s configuration that I am running:

pstree;sudo ps_mem.py;pinxi -v4opy71
                              s6-svscan─┬─at-spi-bus-laun─┬─dbus-daemon
                                        │                 └─3*[{at-spi-bus-laun}]
                                        ├─at-spi2-registr───2*[{at-spi2-registr}]
                                        ├─conky───4*[{conky}]
                                        ├─2*[dbus-daemon]
                                        ├─2*[dbus-launch]
                                        ├─dconf-service───2*[{dconf-service}]
                                        ├─devmon───udevil
                                        ├─gconfd-2
                                        ├─pipewire-pulse───2*[{pipewire-pulse}]
                                        ├─pipewire-start───pipewire───2*[{pipewire}]
                                        ├─roxterm───bash───pstree
                                        ├─9*[s6-supervise───s6-log]
                                        ├─s6-supervise───66-shutdownd
                                        ├─s6-supervise───s6-fdholderd
                                        ├─s6-supervise───s6-ipcserverd
                                        ├─3*[s6-supervise───agetty]
                                        ├─s6-supervise───udevd
                                        ├─s6-supervise───dbus-daemon
                                        ├─s6-supervise───seatd
                                        ├─s6-supervise───slimski─┬─Xorg───10*[{Xorg}]
                                        │                        └─desktop-session───icewm-session───icewm
                                        ├─s6-supervise───connmand
                                        ├─s6-supervise───nmbd
                                        ├─s6-supervise───smbd─┬─cleanupd
                                        │                     ├─smbd
                                        │                     └─smbd-notifyd
                                        ├─s6-supervise───bluetoothd
                                        ├─startup───volumeicon───3*[{volumeicon}]
                                        ├─wireplumber───4*[{wireplumber}]
                                        ├─wpa_supplicant
                                        └─zzzfm
                               Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program
                              132.0 KiB +  22.5 KiB = 154.5 KiB	s6-ipcserverd
                              144.0 KiB +  21.5 KiB = 165.5 KiB	seatd
                              184.0 KiB +  23.5 KiB = 207.5 KiB	s6-svscan
                              240.0 KiB +  32.5 KiB = 272.5 KiB	66-shutdownd
                              344.0 KiB +  36.5 KiB = 380.5 KiB	s6-fdholderd
                              264.0 KiB + 152.5 KiB = 416.5 KiB	pipewire-start
                              264.0 KiB + 171.5 KiB = 435.5 KiB	startup
                              364.0 KiB + 174.5 KiB = 538.5 KiB	udevil
                              380.0 KiB + 202.5 KiB = 582.5 KiB	icewm-session
                              436.0 KiB + 299.5 KiB = 735.5 KiB	agetty (3)
                              740.0 KiB + 206.0 KiB = 946.0 KiB	dbus-launch (2)
                              636.0 KiB + 311.5 KiB = 947.5 KiB	devmon
                              800.0 KiB + 298.5 KiB =   1.1 MiB	desktop-session
                              664.0 KiB + 435.5 KiB =   1.1 MiB	dconf-service
                              780.0 KiB + 325.5 KiB =   1.1 MiB	gconfd-2
                                1.1 MiB + 220.5 KiB =   1.3 MiB	s6-log (9)
                              996.0 KiB + 606.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB	at-spi-bus-launcher
                                1.1 MiB + 562.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB	at-spi2-registryd
                              840.0 KiB + 882.0 KiB =   1.7 MiB	sudo (2)
                                1.5 MiB + 569.0 KiB =   2.0 MiB	dbus-daemon (4)
                                2.1 MiB + 311.5 KiB =   2.4 MiB	bluetoothd
                                1.9 MiB + 680.5 KiB =   2.6 MiB	connmand
                                2.6 MiB + 364.5 KiB =   3.0 MiB	bash
                                2.4 MiB + 626.5 KiB =   3.0 MiB	udevd
                                2.6 MiB + 718.5 KiB =   3.3 MiB	conky
                                2.8 MiB + 580.5 KiB =   3.3 MiB	s6-supervise (23)
                                2.6 MiB +   3.2 MiB =   5.8 MiB	nmbd
                                3.7 MiB +   3.9 MiB =   7.6 MiB	volumeicon
                                7.0 MiB + 747.5 KiB =   7.7 MiB	pipewire-pulse
                                7.2 MiB + 579.5 KiB =   7.8 MiB	wpa_supplicant
                                6.5 MiB +   1.3 MiB =   7.8 MiB	pipewire
                                5.7 MiB +   2.2 MiB =   8.0 MiB	icewm
                                8.0 MiB +   1.7 MiB =   9.6 MiB	wireplumber
                                4.7 MiB +  11.1 MiB =  15.7 MiB	smbd (4)
                               12.4 MiB +   4.8 MiB =  17.2 MiB	roxterm
                               21.1 MiB +   1.4 MiB =  22.6 MiB	slimski
                               23.6 MiB +   3.4 MiB =  27.0 MiB	zzzfm
                              115.1 MiB +   1.5 MiB = 116.6 MiB	Xorg
                              ---------------------------------
                                                      288.2 MiB
                              =================================
                              System:
                                Host: antix-init-diversity Kernel: 6.7.4-1-liquorix-amd64
                                  arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0
                                Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.5 Distro: antiX-23.1_diversity February 05
                                  2024 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                              Machine:
                                Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 14-fq1xxx v: N/A
                                  serial: <superuser required>
                                Mobo: HP model: 887C v: 59.11 serial: <superuser required>
                                  UEFI: AMI v: F.18 date: 11/26/2021
                              Battery:
                                ID-1: BAT0 charge: 40.6 Wh (99.8%) condition: 40.7/40.7 Wh (100.0%)
                                  volts: 12.9 min: 11.3 model: HP Primary status: not charging
                              CPU:
                                Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
                                  type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 rev: 1 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 3 MiB
                                  L3: 8 MiB
                                Speed (MHz): avg: 538 high: 2064 min/max: 400/4056 cores: 1: 400
                                  2: 400 3: 400 4: 400 5: 400 6: 400 7: 2064 8: 400 9: 400 10: 400
                                  11: 400 12: 400 bogomips: 50307
                                Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a
                                  ssse3 svm
                              Graphics:
                                Device-1: AMD Lucienne vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: amdgpu
                                  v: kernel arch: GCN-5 bus-ID: 03:00.0 temp: 44.0 C
                                Device-2: Chicony HP TrueVision HD Camera driver: uvcvideo
                                  type: USB bus-ID: 1-3:3
                                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
                                  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
                                  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
                                API: OpenGL v: 4.6 vendor: amd mesa v: 22.3.6 glx-v: 1.4
                                  direct-render: yes renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM
                                  15.0.6 DRM 3.57 6.7.4-1-liquorix-amd64)
                              Network:
                                Device-1: Realtek vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: rtw89_8852ae
                                  v: kernel port: f000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
                                IF: wlan0 state: up mac: d8:80:83:b7:f8:bd
                              Drives:
                                Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 9.76 GiB (4.1%)
                                ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Toshiba model: KBG40ZNV256G KIOXIA
                                  size: 238.47 GiB temp: 26.9 C
                              Partition:
                                ID-1: / size: 47.76 GiB used: 9.76 GiB (20.4%) fs: ext4
                                  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
                                ID-2: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars size: 128 KiB used: 34 KiB (26.6%)
                                  fs: efivarfs source: ERR-102
                              Unmounted:
                                ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1p1 size: 47.85 GiB fs: ext4
                                ID-2: /dev/nvme0n1p2 size: 1.23 GiB fs: vfat
                                ID-3: /dev/nvme0n1p4 size: 48.83 GiB fs: ext4
                                ID-4: /dev/nvme0n1p5 size: 48.83 GiB fs: ext4
                                ID-5: /dev/nvme0n1p6 size: 7.81 GiB fs: swap
                                ID-6: /dev/nvme0n1p7 size: 35.1 GiB fs: ext4
                              Info:
                                Memory: total: N/A available: 7.1 GiB used: 828.6 MiB (11.4%)
                                Processes: 366 Uptime: 4h 31m Init: s6
                                Packages: 2003 Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15
                                  pinxi: 3.3.33-1
                              uptime
                               18:32:41 up  4:34,  1 user,  load average: 0.37, 0.30, 0.24

--
                              Brian Masinick

calciumsodium

After a fresh install of init-diversity starting from a personal highly modified antiX23 runit via script.

My setup is as follows:

jakersfan@antix-s6-66:~
                                $ detect-init.sh
                                s6-svscan
                                $ start-t icewm
                                $ pstree
                                s6-svscan─┬─conky───6*[{conky}]
                                          ├─dbus-daemon
                                          ├─dbus-launch
                                          ├─devmon───udevil
                                          ├─redshift
                                          ├─rox
                                          ├─6*[s6-supervise───agetty]
                                          ├─6*[s6-supervise───s6-log]
                                          ├─2*[s6-supervise───s6-ipcserverd]
                                          ├─s6-supervise───s6-linux-init-s
                                          ├─40*[s6-supervise]
                                          ├─s6-supervise───slimski─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
                                          ├─s6-supervise───foreground───seatd
                                          ├─s6-supervise───foreground───udevd
                                          └─wpa_supplicant
                                $ sudo ps_mem.py
                                [sudo] password for jakersfan: 
                                140.0 KiB +  30.5 KiB = 170.5 KiB	s6-linux-init-shutdownd
                                156.0 KiB +  27.5 KiB = 183.5 KiB	seatd
                                196.0 KiB +  18.5 KiB = 214.5 KiB	s6-svscan
                                232.0 KiB +  48.0 KiB = 280.0 KiB	s6-ipcserverd (2)
                                244.0 KiB +  67.0 KiB = 311.0 KiB	foreground (2)
                                344.0 KiB +  41.5 KiB = 385.5 KiB	s6-fdholderd
                                372.0 KiB + 143.5 KiB = 515.5 KiB	dbus-launch
                                360.0 KiB + 276.5 KiB = 636.5 KiB	icewm-session
                                360.0 KiB + 336.5 KiB = 696.5 KiB	udevil
                                752.0 KiB + 132.0 KiB = 884.0 KiB	s6-log (6)
                                664.0 KiB + 403.5 KiB =   1.0 MiB	devmon
                                684.0 KiB + 424.0 KiB =   1.1 MiB	dbus-daemon (2)
                                820.0 KiB + 400.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB	desktop-session
                                832.0 KiB + 424.0 KiB =   1.2 MiB	agetty (6)
                                708.0 KiB + 557.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB	redshift
                                  1.0 MiB + 902.0 KiB =   1.9 MiB	sudo (2)
                                  1.8 MiB + 438.5 KiB =   2.2 MiB	bash
                                  2.0 MiB + 806.5 KiB =   2.8 MiB	conky
                                  3.1 MiB + 646.5 KiB =   3.8 MiB	udevd
                                  3.6 MiB + 293.5 KiB =   3.9 MiB	connmand
                                  6.7 MiB + 641.5 KiB =   7.3 MiB	wpa_supplicant
                                  6.6 MiB +   1.7 MiB =   8.3 MiB	slimski
                                  5.5 MiB +   2.8 MiB =   8.4 MiB	icewm
                                  7.4 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   8.4 MiB	s6-supervise (61)
                                 11.5 MiB +   6.5 MiB =  18.0 MiB	roxterm
                                 22.6 MiB +   5.3 MiB =  27.9 MiB	rox
                                 69.3 MiB +   1.9 MiB =  71.2 MiB	Xorg
                                                        174.0 MiB
                                $ 

Then I started the s6-rc-service manager and removed services:

dbus-log
                                slimski-log
                                udevd-log
                                tty3
                                tty4
                                tty5
                                tty6

Please see screenshot.

Then I rebooted and rechecked data:

$ detect-init.sh
                                s6-svscan
                                $ start-t icewm
                                $ pstree
                                s6-svscan─┬─conky───6*[{conky}]
                                          ├─dbus-daemon
                                          ├─dbus-launch
                                          ├─devmon───udevil
                                          ├─redshift
                                          ├─rox
                                          ├─6*[s6-supervise───agetty]
                                          ├─6*[s6-supervise───s6-log]
                                          ├─2*[s6-supervise───s6-ipcserverd]
                                          ├─s6-supervise───s6-linux-init-s
                                          ├─40*[s6-supervise]
                                          ├─s6-supervise───slimski─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
                                          ├─s6-supervise───foreground───seatd
                                          ├─s6-supervise───foreground───udevd
                                          └─wpa_supplicant
                                $ sudo ps_mem.py
                                [sudo] password for jakersfan: 
                                144.0 KiB +  29.5 KiB = 173.5 KiB	s6-linux-init-shutdownd
                                156.0 KiB +  30.5 KiB = 186.5 KiB	seatd
                                196.0 KiB +  15.5 KiB = 211.5 KiB	s6-svscan
                                232.0 KiB +  47.0 KiB = 279.0 KiB	s6-ipcserverd (2)
                                244.0 KiB +  65.0 KiB = 309.0 KiB	foreground (2)
                                296.0 KiB +  38.5 KiB = 334.5 KiB	s6-fdholderd
                                372.0 KiB + 121.5 KiB = 493.5 KiB	dbus-launch
                                364.0 KiB + 287.5 KiB = 651.5 KiB	icewm-session
                                360.0 KiB + 346.5 KiB = 706.5 KiB	udevil
                                756.0 KiB + 134.0 KiB = 890.0 KiB	s6-log (6)
                                672.0 KiB + 405.5 KiB =   1.1 MiB	devmon
                                692.0 KiB + 419.0 KiB =   1.1 MiB	dbus-daemon (2)
                                808.0 KiB + 403.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB	desktop-session
                                852.0 KiB + 420.0 KiB =   1.2 MiB	agetty (6)
                                740.0 KiB + 557.5 KiB =   1.3 MiB	redshift
                                960.0 KiB + 911.0 KiB =   1.8 MiB	sudo (2)
                                  1.8 MiB + 446.5 KiB =   2.2 MiB	bash
                                  2.0 MiB + 788.5 KiB =   2.8 MiB	conky
                                  3.0 MiB + 648.5 KiB =   3.6 MiB	udevd
                                  3.6 MiB + 297.5 KiB =   3.9 MiB	connmand
                                  6.8 MiB + 631.5 KiB =   7.4 MiB	wpa_supplicant
                                  6.7 MiB +   1.7 MiB =   8.3 MiB	slimski
                                  5.6 MiB +   2.8 MiB =   8.4 MiB	icewm
                                  7.4 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   8.5 MiB	s6-supervise (61)
                                 11.5 MiB +   6.4 MiB =  17.9 MiB	roxterm
                                 22.7 MiB +   5.2 MiB =  27.9 MiB	rox
                                 69.2 MiB +   1.9 MiB =  71.1 MiB	Xorg
                                                        173.8 MiB
                                $ 

Removing these services shaved off about 2.2 sec.

Brian Masinick

I’ll have another look at removing the same services as you did.

I was more interested in seeing if 66 would stay up with my workload. It was up for 4 1/2 hours when I finished for the day.

Service manager work tomorrow in addition to more time.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 233 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.