antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66 + openrc

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66 + openrc

• This topic has 268 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated May 27-3:33 am by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 269 total)
  • Author
    ProwlerGr

I have a dumb question. If I add a new service package, do the newer init options require special service files to get them started up, or do they use existing systemd service files or sysVinit scripts?

Not a dumb question at all.
      The beauty about the s6 inits is that they are very modular (true to the UNIX philosophy)

A good read in regards to 66 service files can be found here (attention to section “A word about the @execute key”)
      https://web.obarun.org/software/66/latest/66-frontend.html

As I read this you could pretty much use a sysvinit script, a bash script to resolve a systemd file, or a simple execline command.

s6-rc is very similar
      https://skarnet.org/software/s6/servicedir.html

There have been talks about the creation of a tool that parses systemd service unit files & converts them to s6 ones, but I understand it won’t happen any time soon:
      https://skarnet.org/software/s6/unit-conversion.html

eric

Hi @eric,

Thanks. No rush. I am still trying out the system.

In the boot@system, I also tried setting tz=/etc/localtime, which would be CST for me. But it still gave GMT time.

This will not help at all . The TZ should be something like Europe/Amsterdam. In short what you can find at /usr/share/zoneinfo (or equal folder on Debian).
        You can see what a service do with the status command under the field ‘Start script’, e.g.

66 status boot@system:local-time

In this case it will show information about the boot@system:local-time service which is responsible to create a symlink at /etc/localtime to the correspond folder at /usr/share/info (maybe this path is not correct on Debian)

Another question.

I see that the service files that are active are in /var/lib/66/system/svc/ folder. Is this correct?

Correct

I know that you are still working on a 66 service manager. No rush. Could you please provide some tips, in the meantime, on how to manually enable/disable a service in s6-66? I tried to manually delete some of these services that I don’t use in this folder just to see if it would work. It did not turn out well.
        Thanks.

Never, should i say NEVER, touch any files manually. This is the best way to break the 66 eco-system. If you want to modify something use the corresponding 66 command. Generally speaking, the only file which sysadmin/user should touch is the service frontend file.

Now, to disable a service simply do

66 disable <service_name>

The service will be marked disabled and no started up automatically at 66 tree start invocation or at boot time. If you do ’66 tree status’ you will continue to view the service but marked disabled.

If you want to completely remove the service from the 66 eco-system do

66 remove <service_name>

The service will be completely removed. Please use caution with that command, as it will delete logs, configuration files, and all other components of the service, leaving only its frontend file intact.

If you want to free the ressources used by a running service, do

66 free <service_name>

Before doing that, open a terminal with htop inside (or any process supervisor) and look what’s happens at 66 free command invocation. It will disappear for the process tree.

Note: all these commands above deal with the interdependence of the service (depends, requiredby), so when you do ’66 remove <service>’ it remove the service but also services marked at requiredby field of the service and it do it recursively.

To see the requiredby field of the service, use

66 status <service_name>

and look for its ‘Required by’ field. You can be a little less confusing between all fields doing

66 status -o name,requiredby <service_name>

This only display the field ‘name’ and ‘requiredby’.
        You can have supplementary information using the ‘-g’ option

66 status -go name,requiredby <service_name>

This display the ‘requiredby’ field in graph mode in the order of start process. The first one on top of the list is the first one started and the last one is the last started

You also can get a little more information about the dependency graph of the service, doing

66 status -go name,requiredby,depends -d2 <service_name>

This display the requiredby and depends field in a graph mode but it also display the dependency of the dependency and it do it recursively. You can increase this recursion by increasing the number used at ‘-d’ option like ‘-d4’

Note: this graph ability is only available with 66, s6-rc or any s6-rc implementation on different distro(AFAIK) do not provide a complete and accurate view of the service or a complete view of the machine service state (try 66 tree status -g -d2)

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by eric.
        calciumsodium

The TZ should be something like Europe/Amsterdam.

Hello @eric,

I get it now. I was not using the correct format.

In boot@system, I set

TZ=America/Chicago

and

HARDWARECLOCK=localtime

Now it works. In icewm taskbar, I get the correct CST timezone.

Thank you.

Thank you also for your instructions on disabling the 66 services. I will just disable, not remove these services.

calciumsodium

Once I was able to figure out how to set time zone and how to disable services in s6-66, I am really happy with my setup.

Now, I am equally confident in all four systems of s6-66, s6-rc, sysvinit, and runit.

This is my s6-66 pstree:

$ pstree
            s6-svscan─┬─conky───6*[{conky}]
                      ├─dbus-daemon
                      ├─dbus-launch
                      ├─devmon───udevil
                      ├─redshift
                      ├─rox
                      ├─roxterm───bash───pstree
                      ├─6*[s6-supervise───s6-log]
                      ├─s6-supervise───66-shutdownd
                      ├─s6-supervise───s6-fdholderd
                      ├─s6-supervise───s6-ipcserverd
                      ├─3*[s6-supervise───agetty]
                      ├─s6-supervise───udevd
                      ├─s6-supervise───dbus-daemon
                      ├─s6-supervise───seatd
                      ├─s6-supervise───slimski─┬─Xorg───{Xorg}
                      │                        └─desktop-session───icewm-session───icewm
                      ├─s6-supervise───connmand
                      └─wpa_supplicant

Some notes to watch out for.

1. When I disabled the bluetoothd-log, bluetoothd, nmbd-log, nmbd, smbd-log, smbd, and ufw services in s6-66, I noticed that the logging runsv nmbd and runsv smbd services were activated in runit. I found out because my hard drive on this test system was loud when disk input/output is active. So I went into runit service manager and disabled the start and log of these services. Now my runit system is quiet after that.

2. When I configured boot@system in s6-66 to have swap=!yes, and then reconfigure boot@system, upon reboot into s6-66, the boot crashed saying that fatal error of swap activation. So I switched back to swap=!no. I don’t really use the swap much, if at all. No problem for me.

All in all, really happy with the learning experience and the final product of 4 inits in one. Each I have great confidence in.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by calciumsodium.
            Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

@eric – one more question

How to set autologin?

I set .profile to startx as user (now works without issue as does 32 bit 66).
              How to set the console tty to autologin username?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

eric

@anticapitalista

to autologin on tty1 (change tty1 by your needs)

66 configure -e <your_preferred_editor> boot@system:tty-rc@tty1

set cmd_args=!-J 38400 –autologin <username>

66 reconfigure boot@system:tty-rc@tty1

The change will be applied at next boot.

ProwlerGr

How to set autologin?

Another quick & dirty way is to do it through rc.local

sudo 66 configure -e nano boot@system
                  make edit
                  LOCAL=!yes
                  apply change
                  sudo 66 reconfigure boot@system

then edit /66/rc.local to something like

#!/bin/sh -e
                  /sbin/agetty -a <myuser> 38400 tty1
                  eric

Another way can be

create a frontend file at /etc/66/service/autologin-tty@ with the following

[main]
                    @type = classic
                    @version = 0.0.1
                    @description = "Launch a tty with autologin for @I"
                    @user = ( root )
                    @options = ( !log )
                    [start]
                    @execute = ( execl-cmdline -s { agetty --autologin @I ${Args} } )
                    [environment]
                    Args=!-J 38400 ${Tty}
                    Tty=!tty1

Change the Tty variable to suit your needs

Now, start or enable or both like the following replacing <username> by the good one

66 enable autologin-tty@<username>

Then you can change the tty used by

66 configure autologin-tty@<username>

Change the Tty variable, then

66 reconfigure autologin-tty@<username>

eric

@ProwlerGr

You seem to be walking around with ’66’ now. 🙂

ProwlerGr

You seem to be walking around with ’66’ now. 🙂

Absolutely, it has a steep learning curve but it is the most elegant implementation of s6.
                        I really admire your work.

eric

@ProwlerGr
                          Thanks for your kinds word.
                          Don’t hesitate to give me feedback on any issues you may encounter during use, even if you think it’s not a big deal. I encourage you to create a account at Obarun Gitlab instance to do so.

calciumsodium

I have been using each of the four runit, sysvinit, s6-rc, and s6-66 that I have optimized extensively for my needs.

From my observation as one user, of all the tests that I have done so far, the only tiny hiccup is s6-rc with connman. Let me explain. First my system. I started with an antiX23.1 runit pre-final system. I optimized it to my personal needs. Then I used the script in OP2 to install sysvinit, s6-rc, and s6-66. s6-rc and s6-66 installed without any issue. Sysvinit install was a challenge. I had to study @ProwlerGR’s previous isos to study how they set up sysvinit. After a lot of manual modifications, I was able to get sysvinit up and going. After it is all said and done, all four inits performed great.

If there is anything wrong that I could see, I would report it. The only thing I see that is off is that sometimes, on some machines, s6-rc boots up with no wifi, but connman is up. I have tested on 7 machines. Runit, sysvinit, s6-66 boots great to desktop on all 7 machines with wifi. s6-rc boots great to desktop on 5 of the 7 machines with wifi. But 2 of the 7 machines would boot to desktop without wifi using s6-rc. But connman is up in both these cases. To correct this issue on these two machines, in terminal, I would type sudo service connman restart. And then I get wifi. Furthermore, I went back to @ProwlerGR’s 20240201 iso, and using s6-rc, these two same machines also booted to desktop without wifi even when connman is up. Could this be something specific to s6-rc because runit, sysvinit, and s6-66 boots great to desktop with wifi on these same machines with the same antiX23.1 operating system?

This is just minor because I can overcome it with a simple terminal/key stroke command. But I just thought I report it so that s6-rc can be further optimized in the future.

This is my setup for s6-rc:

Attachments:
                            eric

Is it possible to get a link of the code source of you s6-rc service manager application? I would like to see(when i get time) if its adaptable to 66

ProwlerGr

Is it possible to get a link of the code source of you s6-rc service manager application? I would like to see(when i get time) if its adaptable to 66

Feedback thread under
                                https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-s6-rc-service-manager-for-testers-only/

#!/bin/bash
                                ############### s6-rc SERVICE MANAGER #################
                                #### Manage s6-rc services with a simple graphical ####
                                ####   interface. Add, remove, start or stop any   ####
                                ####       available s6-rc service and log.        ####
                                ####   # Initially developed for antiX linux #     ####
                                #######################################################
                                ### Localization ###
                                TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale
                                TEXTDOMAIN=s6-rc-service-manager
                                if [[ ! -e /usr/bin/dialogbox ]]; then
                                    echo "dialogbox is NOT installed. Cannot start the script."
                                    exit 1
                                fi
                                if [[ $EUID -eq 0 ]]; then
                                    echo "RUNNING AS ROOT"
                                else
                                    echo "NOT RUNNING AS ROOT"
                                    exit 1
                                fi
                                if [[ $(ps -p1 | grep -ic "s6-svscan") -eq 0 ]]; then
                                    echo "s6-svscan is not PID 1"
                                    exit 1
                                fi
                                ### Files and folders ###
                                SERVICE_SCANDIR="/run/s6-rc/scandir"
                                SERVICE_DIRECTORY="/etc/s6-rc/compiled/servicedirs"
                                SERVICE_SOURCE="/etc/s6-rc/sv"
                                SERVICE_STATUS_LIST="$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)"
                                SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST="$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)"
                                VITAL_SERVICES_LIST="$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)"
                                SERVICES_UP_LIST="$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)"
                                SERVICES_DOWN_LIST="$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)"
                                SERVICES_SVSTAT_LIST="$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)"
                                SERVICE_MANAGER_BUNDLE="antix-service-manager"
                                SERVICE_MANAGER_DIRECTORY="$SERVICE_SOURCE/$SERVICE_MANAGER_BUNDLE/contents.d"
                                ALL_SERVICES="$(ls -1 "$SERVICE_SOURCE")"
                                ### MAIN ICONS ###
                                ICONS="/usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48x48"
                                FALLBACK_ICONS="/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48"
                                ICON_SIZE="48px"
                                MAIN_WINDOW_ICON="$ICONS/devices/server-database.png"
                                MAIN_WINDOW_ICON="${MAIN_WINDOW_ICON:-$FALLBACK_ICONS/devices/computer.png}"
                                SERVICE_VITAL_ICON="$FALLBACK_ICONS/status/changes-prevent-symbolic.symbolic.png"
                                SERVICE_UP_ICON="$FALLBACK_ICONS/ui/checkbox-checked-symbolic.symbolic.png"
                                SERVICE_DOWN_ICON="$FALLBACK_ICONS/ui/window-close-symbolic.symbolic.png"
                                SERVICE_UNUSED_ICON="$FALLBACK_ICONS/ui/checkbox-symbolic.symbolic.png"
                                ### STRINGS OF TEXT ###
                                MAIN_WINDOW_TITLE=$"s6-rc Service Manager"
                                SERVICES_TEXT=$"Services"
                                SERVICE_TEXT=$"Service"
                                LOG_TEXT=$" "
                                ADD_SERVICE_TEXT=$"Add unused service"
                                VITAL_WARNING_TEXT=$"This is a VITAL service (it cannot be disabled)"
                                STATUS_TEXT=$"Status:"
                                STARTUP_TEXT=$"Startup:"
                                UP_STATUS_TEXT=$"Up"
                                DOWN_STATUS_TEXT=$"Down"
                                YES_STARTUP_TEXT=$"Yes"
                                NO_STARTUP_TEXT=$"No"
                                START_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Start"
                                RESTART_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Restart"
                                STOP_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Stop"
                                ENABLE_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Enable"
                                DISABLE_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Disable"
                                ADD_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Add"
                                REMOVE_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Remove"
                                RELOAD_BUTTON_TEXT=$"Reload"
                                cleanup() {
                                    ### Remove temporary files
                                    rm -f -- "$SERVICE_STATUS_LIST"
                                    rm -f -- "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST"
                                    rm -f -- "$VITAL_SERVICES_LIST"
                                    rm -f -- "$SERVICES_UP_LIST"
                                    rm -f -- "$SERVICES_DOWN_LIST"
                                    rm -f -- "$SERVICES_SVSTAT_LIST"
                                    echo "Cleanup and exiting"
                                }
                                ### RECOMPILE s6-rc DATABASE ###
                                refresh_s6-db(){
                                    s6-rc-update /etc/s6-rc/compiled-release
                                	mv /etc/s6-rc/compiled-active /etc/s6-rc/compiled-superseded-$(date +%s%N)
                                	rm -r /etc/s6-rc/compiled
                                	s6-rc-compile /etc/s6-rc/compiled-active /etc/s6-rc/sv
                                	ln -sf /etc/s6-rc/compiled-active /etc/s6-rc/compiled
                                	s6-rc-update /etc/s6-rc/compiled
                                	rm -rf /etc/s6-rc/compiled-superseded*	
                                }
                                ### UPDATE THE LISTS OF SERVICES IN VARIOUS STATUSES ###
                                generate_service_lists() {
                                	local SERVICE_NAME
                                    local SERVICE_STARTUP
                                    local SERVICE_STATUS
                                    local LOG_STATUS
                                ### ALL UNCOMPILED SERVICE FILES   
                                ALL_SERVICES="$(ls -1 "$SERVICE_SOURCE")"

### STARTUP SERVICES (BUNDLES "default" + "boot" + ALL THEIR CONTENTS)
                                echo "s6rc-oneshot-runner
                                s6rc-fdholder
                                default" > "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST"
                                echo "$(ls -1 $SERVICE_SOURCE/default/contents.d)" >> "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST"
                                echo "$(ls -1 $SERVICE_SOURCE/boot/contents.d)" >> "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST"
                                echo "$(ls -1 $SERVICE_SOURCE/$SERVICE_MANAGER_BUNDLE/contents.d)" >> "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST"
                                STARTUP_SERVICES="$(cat $SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST)"  
                                    # Save SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST in correct order
                                    echo "$STARTUP_SERVICES" | awk '{print $1 " " $2 " " $3}' > "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST"
                                ### VITAL SERVICES & BUNDLES (EVERYTHING THAT WON'T BE CONTROLLED BY SERVICE MANAGER)
                                echo "$(ls -1 /etc/s6-rc/sv/boot/contents.d)" > "$VITAL_SERVICES_LIST"
                                echo "s6rc-oneshot-runner
                                s6rc-fdholder
                                boot
                                antix-service-manager" >> "$VITAL_SERVICES_LIST"
                                VITAL_SERVICES="$(cat $VITAL_SERVICES_LIST)"
                                ### SERVICES DOWN
                                echo "$(s6-rc -da list)" > "$SERVICES_DOWN_LIST"
                                SERVICES_DOWN="$(cat $SERVICES_DOWN_LIST)"
                                ### SERVICES UP
                                echo "$(s6-rc -ua list)" > "$SERVICES_UP_LIST"
                                SERVICES_UP="$(cat $SERVICES_UP_LIST)"
                                ### SERVICES SVSTAT
                                echo "$(cd /run/s6-rc/scandir && for i in *; do printf "$i: <code>s6-svstat  $i</code>\n" | sed 's/://g' >> "$SERVICES_SVSTAT_LIST"; done)"
                                SERVICES_SVSTAT="$(cat $SERVICES_SVSTAT_LIST)"
                                	# Save SERVICE_SVSTAT_LIST in correct order
                                    echo "$SERVICES_SVSTAT" | awk '{print $1 " " $2}' > "$SERVICES_SVSTAT_LIST"
                                }
                                ### Set trap on EXIT for cleanup
                                trap cleanup EXIT
                                ### FORCE S6-RC TO RESCAN FOR AVAILABLE SERVICES
                                s6-rc_force_rescan(){
                                    sudo kill -SIGALRM 1 && sleep 1.5s
                                }
                                reload_service_listbox(){
                                    # Do NOT regenerate the list if the services list file is empty
                                    if [[ ! -s "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST" ]]; then return 1; fi

local TEMP_LAYOUT=$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)
                                    local APROPIATE_ICON
                                    local SERVICE_NAME

# clear current Service Listbox items and position
                                    echo "clear SERVICE_LISTBOX" >> "$TEMP_LAYOUT"
                                    echo "position onto SERVICE_LISTBOX" >> "$TEMP_LAYOUT"

# Process each service at a time
                                    while read -r line; do
                                        APROPIATE_ICON=""
                                        SERVICE_NAME="$(echo "$line" | awk '{print $1}')"

# If this service is vital, use apropriate icon
                                        if [[ $(echo "$VITAL_SERVICES" | grep -c "^${SERVICE_NAME}$") -gt 0 ]]; then
                                            APROPIATE_ICON="$SERVICE_VITAL_ICON"
                                        # If this service is up, use apropriate icon
                                        elif [[ $(echo "$SERVICES_UP" | grep -c "^${SERVICE_NAME}$") -gt 0 ]]; then
                                            APROPIATE_ICON="$SERVICE_UP_ICON"
                                        # If this service is down, use the apropriate icon
                                         elif [[ $(echo "$SERVICES_DOWN" | grep -c "^${SERVICE_NAME}$") -gt 0 ]]; then
                                            APROPIATE_ICON="$SERVICE_DOWN_ICON"
                                        fi
                                        echo "add item \"$SERVICE_NAME\" $APROPIATE_ICON" >> "$TEMP_LAYOUT"
                                    done < "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST"

# Return at the end of the file
                                    echo "position behind BOTTOM_FRAME" >> "$TEMP_LAYOUT"

# Reposition list selection
                                    if [[ ! -z "$SERVICE_SELECTED" ]] && [[ $(grep -ic "^${SERVICE_SELECTED} " "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST") -gt 0 ]]; then
                                        echo "set \"SERVICE_LISTBOX:$SERVICE_SELECTED\" current" >> "$TEMP_LAYOUT"
                                    fi

# Export changes to dialogbox
                                    cat "$TEMP_LAYOUT" >&$OUTPUTFD

rm -f -- "$TEMP_LAYOUT"
                                }
                                # Check the service status
                                get_service_status(){
                                    local SELECTED_SERVICE="${1}"
                                    # Do nothing is no service selected
                                    if [[ -z "$SELECTED_SERVICE" ]]; then return 1; fi

local TEMP_LAYOUT=$(mktemp -p /dev/shm)

local SERVICE_ITEM="$(cat "$SERVICES_SVSTAT_LIST" | grep "^${SELECTED_SERVICE} ")"
                                    local SERVICE_STATUS="$(echo $SERVICE_ITEM | awk '{print $2}')"
                                    local LOG_STATUS="$(echo $SERVICE_ITEM | awk '{print $3}')"
                                    local SERVICE_STARTUP
                                    local LOG_STARTUP

# Display status info
                                    echo "set SERVICE_NAME_TEXT text \"<big><b>${SELECTED_SERVICE}</b></big>\"" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT

# Enable all buttons
                                    echo "hide START_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide RESTART_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide START_LOG_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide STOP_LOG_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide ENABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide ENABLE_LOG_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    echo "hide DISABLE_LOG_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT

# Display service status information
                                    case "$SERVICE_STATUS" in
                                        up)
                                            SERVICE_STATUS="<b>${STATUS_TEXT}</b> $UP_STATUS_TEXT"
                                            echo "show STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                            echo "show RESTART_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                            echo "enable STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT;;
                                        down)
                                            SERVICE_STATUS="<b>${STATUS_TEXT}</b> $DOWN_STATUS_TEXT"
                                            echo "show START_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                            echo "enable START_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT;;
                                        *)
                                            SERVICE_STATUS="<b>${STATUS_TEXT}</b> not LongRun"
                                            echo "show START_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                            echo "enable START_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT;;
                                    esac
                                    echo "set SERVICE_STATUS_TEXT text \"$SERVICE_STATUS\"" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT

# Get service startup information
                                    if [[ ! -f "${SERVICE_DIRECTORY}/${SELECTED_SERVICE}/down" ]]; then
                                        SERVICE_STARTUP="<b>${STARTUP_TEXT}</b> $YES_STARTUP_TEXT"
                                        echo "show DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                        echo "enable DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    else
                                        SERVICE_STARTUP="<b>${STARTUP_TEXT}</b> $NO_STARTUP_TEXT"
                                        echo "show ENABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                        echo "enable ENABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    fi
                                    echo "set SERVICE_STARTUP_TEXT text \"$SERVICE_STARTUP\"" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT

# If the selected service is Vital, display the message and disable service buttons
                                    if [[ $(echo "$VITAL_SERVICES" | grep -c "^${SELECTED_SERVICE}$") -gt 0 ]]; then
                                        echo "show VITAL_WARNING_TEXT" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                        echo "disable STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                        echo "disable DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                        echo "disable REMOVE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    else
                                        echo "hide VITAL_WARNING_TEXT" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                        echo "enable REMOVE_SERVICE_BUTTON" >> $TEMP_LAYOUT
                                    fi

# Export changes to dialogbox
                                    cat "$TEMP_LAYOUT" >&$OUTPUTFD
                                rm -f -- "$TEMP_LAYOUT"
                                }
                                # Add unloaded services
                                load_service(){
                                    local SERVICE_NAME
                                    local LOADED_SERVICES
                                    local UNLOADED_SERVICES
                                    local U_SERVICE_CONTENT
                                    local SERVICE_BUTTONS

LOADED_SERVICES="$(cat "$SERVICE_STARTUP_LIST" | awk '{print $1}')"
                                    UNLOADED_SERVICES="$(echo "$ALL_SERVICES" | grep -vxf <(echo "$LOADED_SERVICES"))"
                                    # If no service to load, tell user
                                    if [[ -z "$UNLOADED_SERVICES" ]]; then
                                        # Format dialogbox elements
                                        U_SERVICE_CONTENT=$"All services are already loaded."
                                        U_SERVICE_CONTENT="add label \"${U_SERVICE_CONTENT}\" SERVICE_MESSAGE_TEXT"
                                    # Display a list of services the user wants to load
                                    else
                                        # Format UNLOADED_SERVICES for dialogbox (including icon)
                                        UNLOADED_SERVICES="$(echo "$UNLOADED_SERVICES" | awk -v icon="$SERVICE_UNUSED_ICON" '{print "add item " $0 " " icon}')"
                                        # Format dialogbox elements
                                        U_SERVICE_CONTENT="add listbox \"$SERVICES_TEXT\" LIST_SERVICES activation
                                            $UNLOADED_SERVICES
                                            end listbox LIST_SERVICES"
                                        SERVICE_BUTTONS="add frame horizontal
                                            add stretch
                                            add pushbutton \"${ADD_BUTTON_TEXT}\" ADD_SERVICE_PUSHBUTTON apply exit
                                            end frame"
                                    fi
                                    SERVICE_NAME=$(dialogbox --hidden -r <<ADDSERVICE
                                    $U_SERVICE_CONTENT
                                    $SERVICE_BUTTONS
                                    set stylesheet " QFrame {min-width:9em;}
                                                     QListWidget {icon-size:18px; text-align:left;
                                                      min-width:7em; min-height:6em; padding:3px}"
                                    set title "$ADD_SERVICE_TEXT"
                                    set icon "$MAIN_WINDOW_ICON"

show
                                ADDSERVICE
                                )
                                    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                                        SERVICE_NAME="$(echo "$SERVICE_NAME" | grep "^LIST_SERVICES=" | tail -n1 | cut -d"=" -f2)"
                                        if [[ ! -z "$SERVICE_NAME" ]] && [[ -d "${SERVICE_SOURCE}/${SERVICE_NAME}" ]]; then
                                            echo "$ADD_BUTTON_TEXT - $SERVICE_NAME"
                                            sudo touch "$SERVICE_MANAGER_DIRECTORY/${SERVICE_NAME}"
                                            sudo refresh_s6-db 2>/dev/null && cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox
                                            SERVICE_SELECTED="$SERVICE_NAME"
                                            s6-rc_force_rescan
                                            sudo s6-svstat "$SERVICE_SCANDIR"/"$SERVICE_SELECTED" 1>/dev/null || sleep 1.5s
                                        fi
                                    fi
                                }
                                remove_service(){
                                    local SERVICE_NAME="${1}"

if [[ ! -z "$SERVICE_NAME" ]] && [[ -e "${SERVICE_DIRECTORY}/${SERVICE_NAME}" ]]; then
                                        echo "$REMOVE_BUTTON_TEXT - $SERVICE_NAME"
                                        sudo rm "$SERVICE_MANAGER_DIRECTORY/${SERVICE_NAME}"
                                        sudo refresh_s6-db 2>/dev/null && cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox
                                        s6-rc_force_rescan
                                    fi
                                }
                                # Modify service status
                                change_service_status(){
                                    local SERVICE_ACTION="${1}"
                                    local SERVICE_NAME="${2}"
                                    local OUTPUT_MESSAGE
                                    local SERVICE_PATH="$SERVICE_NAME"
                                    # If no service is selected, get out of here
                                    if [[ -z "$SERVICE_NAME" ]]; then return 1; fi
                                    # Prepare output message
                                    case $SERVICE_ACTION in
                                        service_*) OUTPUT_MESSAGE="$SERVICE_NAME - $SERVICE_TEXT";;
                                            log_*) OUTPUT_MESSAGE="$SERVICE_NAME - $LOG_TEXT"
                                #                   SERVICE_PATH="${SERVICE_NAME}/log";;
                                    esac
                                    # perform correct action
                                    case $SERVICE_ACTION in
                                          *_start) echo "$OUTPUT_MESSAGE - $START_BUTTON_TEXT"
                                                   sudo s6-rc start $SERVICE_NAME && cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox ;;
                                        *_restart) echo "$OUTPUT_MESSAGE - $RESTART_BUTTON_TEXT"
                                                   sudo s6-rc stop $SERVICE_NAME && sudo s6-rc start $SERVICE_NAME && cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox ;;
                                           *_stop) echo "$OUTPUT_MESSAGE - $STOP_BUTTON_TEXT"
                                                   sudo s6-rc stop $SERVICE_NAME && cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox ;;
                                		*_enable) echo "$OUTPUT_MESSAGE - $ENABLE_BUTTON_TEXT"
                                                   sudo touch $SERVICE_MANAGER_DIRECTORY/$SERVICE_NAME && sudo refresh_s6-db && sudo s6-rc start $SERVICE_NAME && cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox ;;
                                        *_disable) echo "$OUTPUT_MESSAGE - $DISABLE_BUTTON_TEXT"
                                                   sudo rm $SERVICE_MANAGER_DIRECTORY/$SERVICE_NAME && sudo refresh_s6-db && sudo s6-rc stop $SERVICE_NAME && cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox ;;
                                esac

# Recheck service status
                                    cleanup && generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox
                                }
                                #~ main
                                ################################
                                ###### STARTING DIALOGBOX ######
                                ################################
                                coproc dialogbox --hidden -r
                                INPUTFD=${COPROC[0]}  # file descriptor the dialogbox process writes to
                                OUTPUTFD=${COPROC[1]}  # file descriptor the dialogbox process reads from
                                DBPID=$COPROC_PID    # PID of the dialogbox, if you need it for any purpose... e.g. to kill it
                                set -o monitor  # Enable SIGCHLD
                                # Create the dialogbox
                                cat >&$OUTPUTFD <<S6-RC_SERVICES
                                set stylesheet " QPushButton {icon-size:$ICON_SIZE; min-width:5em;}
                                                 QLabel {qproperty-alignment: AlignCenter;}
                                                 QTabWidget::tab-bar {alignment: center;}
                                                 QTabWidget::pane {border: 0px solid black; background: transparent;}"
                                add frame LEFT_FRAME vertical noframe
                                    add listbox "<b>${SERVICES_TEXT}</b>" SERVICE_LISTBOX selection
                                    end listbox SERVICE_LISTBOX
                                    add pushbutton "$ADD_BUTTON_TEXT" ADD_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    add pushbutton "$REMOVE_BUTTON_TEXT" REMOVE_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    add pushbutton "$RELOAD_BUTTON_TEXT" RELOAD_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                end frame
                                set LEFT_FRAME stylesheet " QFrame {min-width:9em; max-width:12em;}
                                                            QPushButton {icon-size:18px}
                                                            QListWidget {icon-size:18px; text-align:left;
                                                              min-width:7em; max-width:11em;
                                                              padding:3px; min-height:14em}"

step horizontal
                                add separator SEPARATOR_1 vertical
                                step horizontal
                                add frame TITLE_FRAME horizontal noframe
                                    add stretch
                                    add label "<big><big><b>service</b></big></big>" SERVICE_NAME_TEXT
                                    add stretch
                                end frame
                                set TITLE_FRAME stylesheet "QLabel {min-width: 10em}"
                                add label "$VITAL_WARNING_TEXT" VITAL_WARNING_TEXT
                                hide VITAL_WARNING_TEXT
                                add stretch
                                add label "<b>${SERVICE_TEXT}</b>" SERVICE_TEXT
                                add frame SERVICE_STATUS_FRAME horizontal
                                    add label "$STATUS_TEXT ?" SERVICE_STATUS_TEXT
                                    add stretch
                                    add pushbutton "$START_BUTTON_TEXT" START_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    set START_SERVICE_BUTTON stylesheet "min-width:1em"
                                    add pushbutton "$RESTART_BUTTON_TEXT" RESTART_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    set RESTART_SERVICE_BUTTON stylesheet "min-width:1em"
                                    add pushbutton "$STOP_BUTTON_TEXT" STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    set STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON stylesheet "min-width:1em"
                                    disable START_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    disable STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                end frame
                                add frame SERVICE_STARTUP_FRAME horizontal
                                    add label "$STARTUP_TEXT ?" SERVICE_STARTUP_TEXT
                                    add stretch
                                    add pushbutton "$ENABLE_BUTTON_TEXT" ENABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    set ENABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON stylesheet "min-width:1em"
                                    add pushbutton "$DISABLE_BUTTON_TEXT" DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    set DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON stylesheet "min-width:1em"
                                    disable ENABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                    disable DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON
                                end frame
                                set title "$MAIN_WINDOW_TITLE"
                                set icon "$MAIN_WINDOW_ICON"
                                show
                                S6-RC_SERVICES
                                SERVICE_SELECTED=""
                                generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox
                                while IFS=$'=' read key value; do
                                  #echo "Output: $key $value"
                                  case $key in
                                ## LEFT FRAME ##
                                    SERVICE_LISTBOX)
                                        SERVICE_SELECTED="$value"; get_service_status "$value";;
                                    RELOAD_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        echo "Reload Service list"
                                        generate_service_lists && reload_service_listbox;;
                                    ADD_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        load_service
                                    REMOVE_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        remove_service "$SERVICE_SELECTED"
                                ## SERVICE ACTIONS ##
                                    START_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        change_service_status "service_start" "$SERVICE_SELECTED" ;;
                                    RESTART_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        change_service_status "service_restart" "$SERVICE_SELECTED" ;;
                                    STOP_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        change_service_status "service_stop" "$SERVICE_SELECTED" ;;
                                    ENABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        change_service_status "service_enable" "$SERVICE_SELECTED" ;;
                                    DISABLE_SERVICE_BUTTON)
                                        change_service_status "service_disable" "$SERVICE_SELECTED" ;;    
                                    esac
                                done <&$INPUTFD
                                set +o monitor  # Disable SIGCHLD
                                wait $DBPID    # Wait for the user to complete the dialog

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by ProwlerGr.
                                ProwlerGr

But I just thought I report it so that s6-rc can be further optimized in the future.

This is my setup for s6-rc:

Can you enable dbus-log & let us know if it makes a difference?
                                  I am thinking that connmand has dbus-srv listed as a dependency, but obviously with dbus-log disabled it can’t really monitor the dbus status, resulting in a blind startup before dbus is ready…

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 269 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.