antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins antix-23.1_init-diversity-edition – sysvinit / runit / s6-rc / s6-66

• This topic has 232 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Feb 27-2:25 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 233 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

I’m guessing most of those strings are generated automatically from the antix iso snapshot tool.

I’m also planning to do a similar i386 init-diversity iso, in which I will attempt the init=/sbin/init-* boot parameter.

Great!
      The logout/exit script /usr/local/bin/desktop-session-exit could be edited to include all possible reboot/halt options based on the chosen init.

-r|--reboot)
          if [ -e /etc/live/config/save-persist -o -e /live/config/persist-save.conf ] && which persist-config &> /dev/null; then
              sudo persist-config --shutdown --command reboot
          else
              sync
              #sudo chvt 1#this causes exit to reappear on reboot
              sudo reboot
          fi
          ;;

We could have reboot default = let’s say sysVinit.
      Plus reboot-runit, reboot-s6 reboot-66 (same with halt).
      /etc/sudoers.d/antix would need editing

In this way, there is no need to have the conversion/switch scripts on the desktop.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

@ProwlerGr

I cannot open the source file for boot-66serv

extracting unsigned source package (boot-66serv_3.0.0experimental1-1.dsc)
        dpkg-source: error: file ./boot-66serv_3.0.0experimental1.orig.tar.xz has size 293844 instead of expected 294528

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Hmm – It’s not as simple as I thought re getting all 4 to boot live.

s6-66 for example will need to be pre-configured to boot in the live environment.
          Not sure if it will transfer over to install.

aitor

I am proud to announce the release of my UNOFFICIAL antix 23.1 remaster which includes 4 inits that can be selected through grub in an MX style grub menu

[…]

I hope the antix community enjoys this

Thanks again for your iso and packages, ProwlerGr. I’ve been very busy during these days, but I’ll give it a try this weekend. I’m particularly interested in building the 66-suite under devuan. I tried in vain to compile the sources a few months ago, and I guess that there was some conflict with another library. I’ll let you know… I’m burning the image right now.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by aitor.
            Brian Masinick

As far as the minor issue with the init string, it’s NOT version 3.3.31 or 3.3.32 of inxi that changed anything significant; it’s the long string that doesn’t follow regular convention that leads to the issue; shorten it from antiX-23.1-init-diversity-edition_x64 UNOFFICIAL February 01, 2024 to antiX-23.1-init-diversity bookworm February 01, 2024 and both inxi and pinxi tools fine. SOLVED.

So in the future, please modify /etc/antix-version to look like this:

cat /etc/antix-version
              antiX-23.1-init-diversity bookworm February 01, 2024

--
              Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

extracting unsigned source package (boot-66serv_3.0.0experimental1-1.dsc)

I understand you might be using a different environment to compile (given the source package is tagged as unsigned for you).
                Suggesting to use the init-diversity live iso to do the compilation as a first pass, & then check your usual build environment for outdated/missing libraries.

All of these sources are quite sensitive in regards to the versions of libraries installed, thats why I made sure to have them all available in the iso & my experimental repo (although some might be present/doubled up either in antix/gnuinos/bookworm/sid repos).

Script on post 2 should also work on a clean install.

I have just done a full recompile as a sanity check, & everything builds fine (using apt source & debuild).

@aitor these should build in devuan/debian as well.

I hope this helps

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by ProwlerGr.
                ProwlerGr

We could have reboot default = let’s say sysVinit.
                  Plus reboot-runit, reboot-s6 reboot-66 (same with halt).
                  /etc/sudoers.d/antix would need editing

In this way, there is no need to have the conversion/switch scripts on the desktop.

This actually gave me a better idea.
                  I customised the “reboot” & “poweroff” commands which means no modification needed to desktop-session-exit and also allows sudo reboot and sudo poweroff to be used on console

Hmm – It’s not as simple as I thought re getting all 4 to boot live.

s6-66 for example will need to be pre-configured to boot in the live environment.
                  Not sure if it will transfer over to install.

Not really sure if we are talking about the same thing, but the init=/path/to/init boot parameter does not work for the iso snapshot tool neither in syslinux or grub.
                  I’ve tried a few combinations (as per screenshot), none of which worked (all of them resulted to s6-rc (/sbin/init) being booted.
                  You might need to file this as a bug.

I might try with refracta & see if I get a better result

PPC

I customized the “reboot” & “poweroff” commands which means no modification needed to desktop-session-exit and also allows sudo reboot and sudo poweroff to be used on console

Very nice idea!
                    I’ve not yet tested this ISO, but if all goes well, I hope this multi-init idea can be implemented in antiX default isos, in the future, if possible (for the very practical reason that, once implemented, that cuts down anticapitalista’s work in generating new ISOs in about half, but also because it increases antiX user’s choice).
                    Also, less “full” ISOs to select from leads to less “user confusion”- most not techie users have no idea what init’s really are, and which one they are using… On an official antiX ISO, I would recommend a new grub menu entry, like the one that allows Kernel selection… but for init systems…

P.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by PPC.
                    Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

@ProwlerGr – Instead of using the lib paths, why not a symlink them to sbin and use names such as init-s6, init-runit etc?

Brian Masinick

I’m really pleased with this effort.

So far the only difficulty I have experienced is to get the shutdown/reboot commands to work regardless of which unit I am using. My solution has been to switch to an init containing features that use the traditional commands in /sbin.

The other minor issue not affecting performance, just the inxi information tool is the lengthy version description (too long and lacking the “bookworm” identifier).

Overall functionality has been very good.

No other obvious defects observed in my every day use.

--
                        Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

@ProwlerGr – Instead of using the lib paths, why not a symlink them to sbin and use names such as init-s6, init-runit etc?

I tried both for each (9 different entries as you can see on screenshot).

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

I tried both for each (9 different entries as you can see on screenshot).

Yeah, I just tried it too with no success.
                            I’ll take a look at the live initrd scripts

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

Yes – the live init script uses /sbin/init (hard coded line 392 – 414)

if find_init_prog INIT_PROG $NEW_ROOT; then
                                      vmsg 4 'Run %s instead of %s' $white$INIT_PROG$m_co $white/sbin/init$m_co
                                      vmsg 5 "${hi_co}%s" 'Please exit shells normally to allow for a clean unmount'
                                      CHROOT_BIN=$FINAL_DIR/bin
                                      $SET_ARCH chroot $NEW_ROOT $CHROOT_BIN/setsid $CHROOT_BIN/cttyhack $INIT_PROG
                                      #breakpoint i "after init= chroot"
                                      MY_LOG=/dev/null
                                      safe_shutdown poweroff ask
                                  else
                                      : ${INIT_COMMAND:=/sbin/init}
                                      test -x $NEW_ROOT$INIT_COMMAND || INIT_COMMAND=/sbin/init
                                      vmsg 6  "Start %s process" $(pq $INIT_COMMAND)
                                      # Note that "nomodeset" is yet again unreliable!
                                      # [ "$NO_CLEAR" ] || [ "$NO_MODESET" ] || clear
                                      [ "$NO_CLEAR" ] || clear
                                      #exec $LIVE_BIN/switch_root -c /dev/tty1 $NEW_ROOT $INIT_COMMAND "$@"
                                      exec $LIVE_BIN/switch_root $NEW_ROOT /usr/bin/env CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 $INIT_COMMAND "$@"
                                  fi

Later in the script (line 610), one of the MX devs added systemd boot

SYSTEM_D=
                                  local sbin_init=$(readlink $NEW_ROOT/sbin/init)
                                  if [ -n "$sbin_init" -a -z "${sbin_init##*systemd}" ]; then
                                      SYSTEM_D=true
                                      touch /live/config/systemd
                                      msg  "$_Detected_X_init_system_" $(cq systemd)
                                  fi

So changes need to be made something like the above for non-default inits

Brian Masinick

Something must be in the works; at the moment I’m not seeing the desktop entries to alter the various init, and in fact, when I tried to change init (perhaps a half hour ago), something funny happened, I had to run a dpkg –configure -a, and I was able to get back in, but the behavior is different; 1) no wallpaper or Conky; I had to enable both manually, 2) as mentioned, no visible desktop icons to change init.

Hopefully whatever was in the process of changing will be “back to normal” usability shortly. I at least got back into “init diversity” after a few manual package update fixes.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Whatever the init-diversity update was earlier today, the effect it had for me was that a window manager no longer started by default; I had to login from a command interface and start up an X server manually, and then re-enable my wallpaper and Conky configuration.

Not sure what happened; maybe I accidentally installed during a significant change; in case others are affected, please note.
                                  I’ll check it out again tomorrow and hopefully everything will be configured in a way that doesn’t require manual configuration each time I login.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 233 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.