antiX-23.2-full-runit isos for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23.2-full-runit isos for testing

• This topic has 254 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated Jul 21-2:37 pm by Robin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Here are links to antiX-23.2-full-runit isos for testing

64 bit http://repo.antixlinux.com/uploads/

32 bit https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/releases/

If there are no major issues, these will be the final versions.

Beth iso files include intel microcode in the live initrd.gz.
      Neither have a ‘fix’ to set ConnMan ipv6 to ‘preferred’ since I can’t find any way to do so.
      32 bit iso does not include pipewire at all.
      latest antiX kernels are used

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Here are links to antiX-23.2-full-runit isos for testing

64 bit http://repo.antixlinux.com/uploads/

32 bit https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/releases/

If there are no major issues, these will be the final versions

I do not have any remaining 32-bit systems, but I’m snagging the 64-bit version now and I will provide some initial feedback ASAP, and additional feedback as I continue to use it; I’ll replace one of my currently installed versions so I can give it some solid testing!

GREAT turnaround @anticapitalista; looking forward to using this!

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Running from this right now. Looking good so far; I replaced my main antiX 23.1 Full runit with this; so far that has NOT created any issues. I added and removed a few packages, and I also set up my usual configuration; so far this image is behaving normally.

I’m running on my HP-14 so I got rid of the Version 5 kernel image; hopefully plenty of other people will test with this; if we need more V5 testing I can get on some other systems to test that; I’ll use our V6 kernel for a while, then I’ll put in my frequently used Liquorix kernel image so I can evaluate with BOTH or either of them; meanwhile I’ll work with the stock setup for a while; unless I happen to run into something, the initial impression is VERY positive.

I did experience one quirk with the non free video codecs; that should be checked out; as of this writing that is the ONLY quirk; and I did fool around a little bit with the Package Installer tool; probably a good idea to split these up and go through ALL of them once again since I did happen to run across that one package installer issue; that was the only blemish on an otherwise excellent experience so far… more to come as I continue to work with this. With that minor defect resolution, to me that doesn’t result in the necessity to pull this; all else looks good.

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

HEY EVERYBODY! I hope that MANY of you try out this stuff NOW. I have only dug into the 64-bit version; no 32-bit test coverage so far unless we get some volunteers; I do not have any 32-bit hardware remaining in my collection.

64-bit implementation runs well for me; please test other stuff because I haven’t fully tested every possible thing; the more eyes on this the better!

--
            Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

HEY EVERYBODY! I hope that MANY of you try out this stuff NOW.

Today is Wednesday, I will only be able to test any ISO on Saturday.

Brian Masinick

Thank you!

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Anyone else?

--
                  Brian Masinick

Robin

Anyone else?

Sure, but please give us time… Have to free up not only some spare time, but also space on USB sticks (and hard drives) before testing can start. Otherwise I can’t neither download the ISOs nor write the USB sticks for 32 and 64 bit both. :) Like Marcelo, it will be going to happen probably not before weekend.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Xunzi_23

Thank you anticapitalista,

I will first test live starting later today.

Regarding IPV6 Privacy. Very important theme as we are otherwise broadcasting a unique ID.

Been searching.

https://man.archlinux.org/man/connman-service.config.5
                      Helpful

/var/lib/connman/service-name.config

needs root rights to edit. Allows setting
                      IPv6.Privacy=preferred

And offers many other options to research :-)
                      As yet not tested but seems it is the official way. @ Robin if you have time please function test
                      and give feedback.

Once again I am very thankful for exceptional documentation work of Archers.
                      Wish they had not been infected by potterings insanity. I used to really like the distro.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xunzi_23.
                      • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xunzi_23.
                      Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

@Xunzi_23 – the problem is that we cannot set /var/lib/connman/service-name.config on the live iso (it doesn’t exist until ConnMan is started) and each user will have a unique /var/lib/connman/service-name.config file as well.
                        The best we can do at the moment it to advise ipv6 users to set it up manually via cmst.
                        I have no idea why ConnMan doesn’t have preferred set as default.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

PPC

he problem is that we cannot set /var/lib/connman/service-name.config on the live iso (it doesn’t exist until ConnMan is started) and each user will have a unique /var/lib/connman/service-name.config file as well.

I can try creating a shell script that automates that change- that can be run from a Control Centre entry/ .desktop file…

Edit: I’m currently downloading the 64bits iso. Usually takes a 5-15 minutes, firefox is telling it will take over 2 hours…

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
                          RJP

Using wget download takes about 12 minutes (net speed 3.3 MB/s).

Xunzi_23

@anticapitalista,
                              thanks for info.

I can not download the testing iso at present.

With regard to pre configuring connman, if it is not possible intel devs
                              have not even tried to implement any relevant privacy recommendations.
                              This is serious, antiX would be one of very few distros not obfuscating
                              IPV6 addresses which is a DGSVO problem on top as unique.

Will see if settings can be made and kept without a network connection
                              and if multiple config files are parsed, not just a unique one.

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

Actually /var/lib/connman/service-name.config should be /var/lib/connman/service-name/settings.
                                service-name is a uniquely created folder by ConnMan the first time it is started.
                                It is possible to have several service-name folders.

PPC

I did a very cursory test on antiX 23.2 Full 64bits Live:
                                  – it booted fine (even on my dell desktop, that refused to auto-login in all final versions of antiX previous to 23/23.1)
                                  – volume icon appeared, audio worked perfectly
                                  – both my Ethernet and wifi connections were detected
                                  – I booted into kernel 6.1 and it seems as light and fast as ever
                                  – I tested the new GUI to manage mouse and touch-pad – it seems fine :-)

Now what I noticed should be changed:
                                  – Probably it’s better to swap the entry for the old GUI that manages pointing devices with the new one. It does not make much sense to have 2 GUI’s that do the same thing, one of them almost useless, out of the box, but still featured on the Control Centre
                                  – I think the virtual keyboard still does not work with accented characters… once again, there are other virtual keyboards that do.

That’s the most important thing… On the localization front there are a few things that could be better:
                                  – Unfortunately, it does not the latest .desktop entries that I helped localize to pt-pt (EDIT: I just checked, its the resource “antiX 23 Desktop Files” over at Transifex)
                                  – Some entries in IceWM Control Centre still have to be localized (no deal breaker, but something that can eventually be easily fixable in just a few days, in the most used languages)
                                  – The GUI to manage Mouse and touch-pad devices is in English only (I think it’s localization resource is already available over at Transifex somewhere?)

Funny enough I forgot to update the system (the most important problem, that caused this point release to be created :-( )

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 255 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.