antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Tagged: 

• This topic has 436 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Mar 21-8:50 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Just to give you a taste of where antiX-23 stands at the moment.

Do not use this on critical systems.
      The default Debian repos point to bookworm, but antiX ones to testing.
      This will change to bookworm once the Debian hard freeze begins.
      This is labelled an alpha as it will not be supported at all.
      It is only to help in testing, bug fixing etc.

Size of iso = approximately 1.6GB
      Includes 2 kernels – 4.19 legacy and 5.10 ‘modern’
      Defaults to zzz-IceWM ‘desktop’
      No ft10 transformaton pack, but PPC’s changes to zzzFM are included (eg trash option). Still single-click though
      New wallpaper from Sakasa (thanks to roky for posting the links). I reduced the size and made it smaller though since the original weighs in at 9MB!

Test it out.
      Post any comments (positive and negative)
      Help find and fix some bugs

Thanks

here it is

I will keep the file there for a few weeks, but then remove/delete it.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

Yes! Downloading!

Many thanks- I’ll test it on live-usb!

P.

Brian Masinick

Great! I’ll try it out on my Dell Inspiron 5558.

--
          Brian Masinick

PPC

ok. Just tried it live:

*about my infernal login “bug”:
            -The issue I reported that happens in the installed antiX 19/22 here in this Dell desktop, happens when running antiX 23-a1 live:
            I boot (it’s the same on both kernels) to a desktop without conky, and nothing seems to work until I change desktop/restart IcewM. Just found a new think: at least here in antiX 23a1, things do run- I clicked, by mistake in the presentation video and I got the scare of my life when I started hearing a strange voice after some 5 seconds- it’s D.O.’s voice, from the video- nothing showed in the desktop, but the video was running!

*about the looks:
            -Wow – great default wallpaper
            -Wow – great that the default icewm theme is the dark one, nice touch, having volume-icon set to white- it’s easy to see! Perfect
            -The new menu and toolbar layout seems more intuitive, less cluttered.

*about zzzfm:
            -nice to have the usual bookmarks – but they don’t work on localized systems because they link to the english folder name: ex: /home/demo/documents, and not, in pt-pt /home/demo/documentos
            -nice to see “Recent files” got into the zzzfm default setting – it’s a nice little touch, since jwm and fluxbox do not have a “Recent files” menu entry.
            -“Restore” contextual menu should only show up in the trash folder (there’s an how-to do it, in the antix-23 suggestions thread, by me)
            -“Send to trash” contextual menu should not show up when in the trash folder
            -All this new zzzfm entries require, of course, localization- get ready, translation team!

*Youtube video player fails to work
            *Wallpaper settings does not show the “no wallpaper” option
            *Recent files in Icewm menu seems to include the fix to show special characters! Yes!… but bobc’s updated scripts to manage that entry are not being used!
            *on “just icewm” desktop, rox is the default File Manager – it makes sense to swap it for zzzfm, on all desktops (even when it’s not running desktop icons)
            *”Modem manager”? Hum…
            * Still no compositor installed by default? If it’s not too heavy, I vote for including one – its not just eye candy- it fixes some video problems too
            * The sound, for some reason is way louder than on antiX 22! Yes- I can hear stuff fine on my tiny work speakers, was that by chance?
            * If possible, use the .desktop entries localized for antiX autoremove; chroot; user language; yad-color
            * Also, putting user language up for localization would be nice , if it’s not already (I did not see it)- if there’s a script worth localizing, it’s that one! :-)

*system resources: after playing with the OS, opening Firefox-esr, file manager, etc, and closing everything, 178M of RAM usage. Nice
            When using just the “icewm” desktop, it uses 159M of 8Gb

*Suggestion (for any antix version, in fact):
            – in Control Panel, if CUPS is not installed, in printer settings, show a window warning users to install it, and if, disabled just run it, before showing the printer properties)
            – Maybe add an updated GUI script to set the page size, also in C.P.?
            – Include the suggestions I made in Package Installer, if possible (and the option to install the old antix wallpapers).
            – Add a GUI off-line .deb installer – doesn’t MX have it’s own deb-installer? Can it be used in antiX?
            – Add the updated antiX-updater script, maybe?
            – The script to connect to samba shares would be a nice addition, maybe? It only installs the dependencies at first run, so it takes just a few kb on the iso, and is right there in zzzfm, in case users need this feature.

*Verdict:
            For a betaalpha, extremely nice and stable, from what I tested!
            The OS looks more slick, modern, easy to use, feature rich, just amazing, considering it uses way less than 200Mb of RAM

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by PPC.
            • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by PPC.
            Brian Masinick

Great! I’ll try it out on my Dell Inspiron 5558.

Made it here on the Dell laptop. First try is running live using the Legacy 4.9 kernel –

inxi -b
              System:
                Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.19.0-256-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64
                  Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.1
                  Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-full Grup Yorum 3 February 2023
              Machine:
                Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: N/A
                  serial: <superuser required>
                Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <superuser required>
                  UEFI-[Legacy]: Dell v: A18 date: 12/30/2019
              Battery:
                ID-1: BAT0 charge: 30.1 Wh (100.0%) condition: 30.1/41.4 Wh (72.6%)
              CPU:
                Info: dual core Intel Core i7-5500U [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 1710
                  min/max: 500/3000
              Graphics:
                Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel
                Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] driver: nvidiafb v: kernel
                Device-3: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo
                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.6 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                  unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2)
                  v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.3
              Network:
                Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi
                Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169
                Device-3: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface type: USB driver: btusb
              Drives:
                Local Storage: total: 504.43 GiB used: 12.3 MiB (0.0%)
              Info:
                Processes: 154 Uptime: 7m Memory: 7.7 GiB used: 3.07 GiB (39.9%)
                Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.19

I used the toram option and I also came in directly the first time without the UEFI; I’ve done both on this system in the past and they both work, so I’ll try multiple combinations again. I think a LOT of people are going to like the default wallpaper; very nice indeed! Thanks roki for sharing it and anti for including it!

Back later with additional tests.

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

set /etc/inxi.conf to true and here’s another update, so inxi works as always –

sudo inxi -bay
                System:
                    compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0 parameters: toram tz=America/New_York quiet splasht
                    disable=lxF desktop=zzz-icewm
                  Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.1 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0 Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-full
                    Grup Yorum 3 February 2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
                Machine:
                  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: N/A serial: 43ZW062
                    Chassis: type: 9 serial: 43ZW062
                  Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: /43ZW062/CN1296359805AF/
                    UEFI-[Legacy]: Dell v: A18 date: 12/30/2019
                Battery:
                    volts: 16.1 min: 14.8 model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 type: Li-ion
                    serial: 9935 status: full
                CPU:
                  Info: dual core Intel Core i7-5500U [MT MCP] arch: Broadwell speed (MHz):
                    avg: 2098 min/max: 500/3000
                Graphics:
                  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
                    arch: Gen-8 process: Intel 14nm built: 2014-15 ports: active: eDP-1
                    empty: HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1616 class-ID: 0300
                  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell driver: nvidiafb
                    v: kernel alternate: nouveau non-free: series: 470.xx+
                    status: legacy-active (EOL~2023/24) arch: Kepler code: GKxxx
                    process: TSMC 28nm built: 2012-18 pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 4
                    link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 8 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1299
                    class-ID: 0302
                    bus-ID: 2-5:4 chip-ID: 064e:920b class-ID: 0e02
                    serial: HF1026-T838-HN01-2-REV4261
                    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW
                    GT2) direct render: Yes
                Network:
                  Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel modules: wl pcie:
                    gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:08b3
                    class-ID: 0280
                  Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell
                    driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: e000
                    bus-ID: 07:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8136 class-ID: 0200
                    bus-ID: 2-6:5 chip-ID: 8087:07dc class-ID: e001
                Drives:
                  Local Storage: total: 504.43 GiB used: 12.3 MiB (0.0%)
                Info:
                  Processes: 156 Uptime: 11m wakeups: 2 Memory: 7.7 GiB used: 3.09 GiB (40.1%)
                  Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2 tool: service Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12
                  Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1625 libs: 779 tools: apt,apt-get,synaptic
                  Shell: Sudo (sudo) v: 1.9.12p2 default: Bash v: 5.2.15 running-in: roxterm
                  inxi: 3.3.24

--
                Brian Masinick

calciumsodium

I was able to install the liquorix 6.1 kernel and booted into it.

Google chrome works great.

I was able to use ytfzf. See picture.

$ inxi -b
                  System:
                    Host: antix1 Kernel: 6.1.9-2-liquorix-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
                  Machine:
                    Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Inspiron 530 v: N/A
                      serial: <superuser required>
                    Mobo: Dell model: 0G679R v: A00 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell
                      v: 1.0.18 date: 02/24/2009
                  CPU:
                    Info: dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7300 [MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2597
                      min/max: 1600/2667
                  Graphics:
                    Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915
                      v: kernel
                    Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.6 driver: X: loaded: intel gpu: i915
                      resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz
                    OpenGL: renderer: i915 (: G33) v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3
                  Network:
                    Device-1: Intel 82562V-2 10/100 Network driver: e1000e
                    Device-2: Realtek RTL8188FTV 802.11b/g/n 1T1R 2.4G WLAN Adapter type: USB
                      driver: rtl8188fu
                  Drives:
                    Local Storage: total: 262.14 GiB used: 28.86 GiB (11.0%)
                  Info:
                    Processes: 146 Uptime: 4m Memory: 2.4 GiB used: 530.8 MiB (21.6%)

Attachments:
                  Brian Masinick

Package Installer does not install Web browsers for me on my Dell Inspiron.
                    Tried a few other random packages and they do not install either.
                    I was able to manually install Chromium.
                    In order to install the current version of Firefox there have to be other repositories added or updated; that probably is what is preventing the package installer from installing several listed packages.
                    Still, as an initial test, there are plenty of things in the image that are already working well without having to modify anything.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Logged in again with UEFI enabled and the modern 5.10 kernel. Appears to be about the same – I installed the Chromium browser from the command line, but tried a couple of Package Installer items; I think there is a workaround somewhere; it’s not included by default in this build; otherwise it’s looking good with this option too – UEFI w/ 5.10 kernel.

--
                      Brian Masinick

calciumsodium

I noticed that with runit (antiX21, antiX22, and this antiX23 a1) I cannot get my crontab jobs to work.

For example, I can successfully use this crontab command in my antiX21 and antiX22 sysvinit systems to remove the google-chrome cache files in the .cache folder and the old log files in the .desktop-session folder:

@reboot rm -r ~/.cache/google-chrome rm ~/.desktop-session/old*.log

With the runit systems, this crontab job does not work. Do you have any suggestions on how to achieve this goal in the antiX runit systems?

Brian Masinick

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/package-manger-not-working/

Tried to see if I could resolve the package installer stuff with this solution but did not get it to work for me yet.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Current configuration on the antiX 23 Alpha build:

inxi -bay
                            System:
                              Host: antix1 Kernel: 5.10.142-antix.2-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64
                                compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0 parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/antiX/vmlinuz1 quiet splasht
                                disable=lxF desktop=zzz-icewm video=1366x768 desktop=zzz-icewm
                              Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.1 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0 Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-full
                                Grup Yorum 3 February 2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
                            Machine:
                              Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: N/A
                                serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 9 serial: <superuser required>
                              Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Dell
                                v: A18 date: 12/30/2019
                            Battery:
                                volts: 16.1 min: 14.8 model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 type: Li-ion
                                serial: 9935 status: full
                            CPU:
                              Info: dual core Intel Core i7-5500U [MT MCP] arch: Broadwell speed (MHz):
                                avg: 2640 min/max: 500/3000
                            Graphics:
                              Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
                                arch: Gen-8 process: Intel 14nm built: 2014-15 ports: active: eDP-1
                                empty: HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1616 class-ID: 0300
                              Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell driver: nvidiafb
                                v: kernel alternate: nouveau non-free: series: 470.xx+
                                status: legacy-active (EOL~2023/24) arch: Kepler code: GKxxx
                                process: TSMC 28nm built: 2012-18 pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 4
                                link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 8 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1299
                                class-ID: 0302
                                bus-ID: 2-5:4 chip-ID: 064e:920b class-ID: 0e02
                                serial: HF1026-T838-HN01-2-REV4261
                                unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                              API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW
                                GT2) direct render: Yes
                            Network:
                              Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel modules: wl pcie:
                                gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:08b3
                                class-ID: 0280
                              Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell
                                driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: e000
                                bus-ID: 07:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8136 class-ID: 0200
                                bus-ID: 2-6:5 chip-ID: 8087:07dc class-ID: e001
                            Drives:
                              Local Storage: total: 504.43 GiB used: 1.58 GiB (0.3%)
                            Info:
                              Processes: 159 Uptime: 25m wakeups: 2 Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 1.84 GiB (24.0%)
                              Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2 tool: service Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12
                              Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1660 libs: 798 tools: apt,apt-get,synaptic
                              Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 running-in: roxterm inxi: 3.3.24

--
                            Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

Thanks everyone for the very quick feedback so far.
                              Package Installer will need to be updated to make sure everything in it can be installed. I’ll put this down as ‘known issue’.
                              Future testing builds will (hopefully) get his fixed.

About kernels – I’m not sure what to default to.
                              One idea was to use 4.19 as our legacy and a 6 series kernel for ‘modern’. At the moment there is no antiX 6 series kernel though.
                              We could ship 5.10 as legacy and a 6 series kernel as modern.
                              Another idea is to use the series in this alpha an not ship with a 6 series (it is very likely to be much more RAM/CPU intensive than previous versions).

Please also comment on CPU/RAM usage. General responsiveness compared to previous antiX versions.

Modem manager was included to see if it actually works for those that need it.
                              For those with bluetooth devices, please see if it works. You will need to enable bluetooth via the runit-service-manager (in control centre as well as the menu).
                              Pipewire is not installed (and it is 99.9% unlikely to be installed on final iso). However, anyone wanting to install and test it out and provide feedback will be very welcome,

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Responsiveness and appearance are very positive, especially considering that I am running live.
                                In my previous run I specified toram; not sure I did so this time, but I’ve run non UEFI with the 4.9 kernel and UEFI with the 5.10 kernel and both of them are working OK, even though I’ve had problems on my Dell with this same 5.10.142 image; when I run from the USB I have no problem, so apparently the issues I was having were introduced through several kernels in use plus several distributions; here on the Live Alpha, it’s actually doing pretty well except for the package installer.

I even got around a little of that by adding in the MX repo and getting Firefox 109 from there!
                                I wonder if I can “steal” anything else during my test! Seriously, this is a pretty good Alpha; I’ve bragged about our early builds in the past; this one boots, looks good, isn’t perfect, yet it’s functional and has great looks!

We’re off to a good start.

--
                                Brian Masinick

sasa_
                                  demo@antix1:~
                                  $ inxi -b
                                  System:
                                  Machine:
                                    Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: H110M-DGS R3.0
                                      serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: P7.10
                                      date: 07/18/2017
                                  CPU:
                                    Info: dual core Intel Pentium G4560 [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2414
                                      min/max: 800/3500
                                  Graphics:
                                    Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nouveau v: kernel
                                      unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: nouveau resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                                    OpenGL: renderer: NV106 v: 4.3 Mesa 22.3.3
                                  Network:
                                    Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
                                      driver: r8169
                                  Drives:
                                    Local Storage: total: 115.56 GiB used: 8.6 MiB (0.0%)
                                  Info:
                                    Processes: 151 Uptime: 41m Memory: 7.75 GiB used: 2.38 GiB (30.7%)
                                  demo@antix1:~

Work !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 437 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.